Auxiliary input adapter for UniLink receivers (New Stock)
Our take on the Sony XA-300 by Crutchfield's Charlie Pastorfield
Need to add an auxiliary input to your Sony changer-controlling receiver? The XA-300 module lets you add auxiliary sources while retaining the use of your Sony CD changer. The XA-300 accepts your UniLink changer cable and a patch cable from your non-UniLink source (cassette, MP3, Minidisc, etc.) and allows your Sony receiver to choose between the two sources.
The XA-300 can choose between two sets of auxiliary RCA inputs. AUX IN 1 is linked to a headphone jack on the unit, allowing private listening to one auxiliary source while the Sony receiver plays a second source. The private listening level can be adjusted by a headphone volume control. An audio signal from a laptop computer can also be connected through the unit's USB port. The XA-300 lets you add a variety of audio devices to your UniLink system, including audio from a DVD player, a video game, or even a satellite radio tuner (antenna and service subscription required) for 100 channels of digital programming nationwide.Details:
- two sets of stereo RCA inputs (accepts audio from Sony changer)
- AUX IN 1 linked to headphone jack (with independent level control) for private listening
- USB port accepts audio input from a laptop computer
- 83" UniLink cable (included) and 83" RCA patch cable (included) for connection to your receiver
- control input accepts UniLink cable from changer
- control outputs — connects XA-300 to receiver through supplied UniLink cable
- audio out (provides audio to Sony receiver with supplied RCA cable)
- 5-15/16"W x 1-3/8"H x 7-1/8"D (with RCA plugs)
- Warranty: 1 year (new), 90 days (refurbished)
Works with my old Sony mobile ES series receiver and has allowed me to use an iPod where I had a Mini-Disc changer before. Sounds great, works perfectly.
What's in the Box:
- Sony XA-300 Aux Input Selector; One 83" UniLink cable; One 83" stereo RCA patch cable; 2 Velcro mounting strips; Operating Instructions; Warranty sheet
Sony XA-300 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
General Overview: The XA-300 Aux-In Selector accepts input from a UniLink CD/MD changer and up to two non-UniLink auxiliary sources (DVD player, video game, portable CD, MD, tape or MP3 player). In addition, the unit has a USB input to connect a laptop computer with a USB port, and it has a headphone output with volume control. The XA-300 is compatible with Sony UniLink changer controller head units, and it requires no external power connections because it receives power directly from a connected head unit. Only one XA-300 can be used with each head unit; one XA-300 cannot be daisey chained with another XA-300 to provide additional auxiliary inputs.
AUX Input Connections: The input for each auxiliary source is a set of female RCA jacks mounted directly to the Aux-In Selector module. A stereo RCA patch cord should be connected to the AUX IN jacks on the module and run to where the auxiliary source will be located. If the aux source has a mini-jack output, a stereo mini-jack to dual male RCA cable will be needed instead of a standard RCA patch cable.
USB Input: The USB input allows you to connect a laptop computer to your car stereo system (USB cable not included) in order to play MP3 files or other audio from the computer. The computer must have a compatible operating system in order to work. It must be running Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Mac OS 8.6 or later. (Sony recommends Windows 2000 or Mac OS 9.0 or later)
Selecting The Auxiliary Device: On the Sony changer controller head unit, press "SOURCE" repeatedly until "CD" is selected. Press "MODE" repeatedly until the device you want to listen to is selected. The head unit will cycle through each unit in the following order: CD1 (CD/MD changer) > CD2/AUX1 > CD3/AUX2 > CD4/USB. When CD1 is selected, the CD/MD changer will automatically start playing. When any other source is selected, playback of that unit will have to be manually started and the volume adjusted. As the volume settings of each connected device may differ, the volume of each device should be set to a similar level as the CD/MD changer.
Headphone Output: A stereo mini-plug headphone output with volume control is provided for the private listening of the auxiliary source connected to the AUX IN 1 input. The headphone output is always on, even if the head unit has selected one of the other sources. This allows a passenger to listen to the AUX IN 1 source while the head unit plays another source. (Headphone listening is not recommended while operating the vehicle)
Inputs and Outputs
Front of Unit:
- Headphone Output: stereo mini-plug jack with volume control (for private listening of unit connected to Aux Input 1)
- Aux Input 1: stereo RCA input (to connect a portable unit)
- Aux Input 2: stereo RCA input (to connect a portable unit)
- USB Input: for connecting laptop computer with USB Port
Rear of Unit:
- Output: UniLink output and stereo RCA output (to Sony changer controller head unit)
- Input: UniLink input and stereo RCA input (to connect UniLink CD/MD changer)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.