55" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
| Watch a product review |
Crutchfield: 2018 Sony OLED 4K Ultra HD TVs with HDR
Crutchfield: How to Unbox a Sony TV
Item # 15855XA8F | MFR # XBR55A8F
Instant savings: -$300.00
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Sony XBR-55A8F by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Sony's 2nd-gen OLED — new look, same amazing picture
When you take 4K OLED screen technology and combine it with Sony's acclaimed video processing, you get one of the finest TV pictures we'll see in 2018. In fact, the 55" XBR-55A8F delivers immersive picture and sound.
It offers a new look, too, replacing the "kickstand" design of last year's XBR-55A1E with a super low-profile pedestal stand. The new design also reduces panel depth by more than an inch, for less obtrusive wall-mounting.
4K and HDR complete the picture
4K provides four times the picture detail of 1080p HD, while HDR (High Dynamic Range) gives a major boost to contrast and color. It may surprise you, but current video standards are based on old-school tube TVs with low brightness capabilities. The latest HDR-equipped TVs, like the XBR-55A8F, can display greater contrast and a wider color spectrum. The combination makes pictures pop like you've never seen before.
Sony's video processing makes everything look its best
Sony isn't the only company building OLED TVs, but it's the only one that employs the company's unmatched video processing. The X1™ Extreme engine is their most powerful processor ever. It tackles two tasks: reducing the compression noise common in streamed video and lower-resolution sources, and upscaling every source to near 4K/HDR quality. Picture quality with 4K streamed content and Ultra HD Blu-ray is spectacular, but you don't need a 4K source to be wowed by this TV.
The X1 Extreme processor also detects if there is a static image on screen and performs a pixel shift to avoid burn-in or image retention.
Wait, what? The screen is a speaker?
Instead of using typical tiny speakers, the XBR-55A8F uses the entire screen to generate sound. Sony's Acoustic Surface™ technology uses a pair of actuators on the back to send vibrations through the screen to produce sound. Sounds are localized to what's happening on screen, creating an even more immersive experience. A total of 50 watts of power drives the screen speaker system as well as the rear-mounted woofer.
You can tell this TV what you want
The XBR-55A8F's built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
The included remote control lets you activate the built-in Google Assistant simply by pressing the mic button and speaking into the microphone. Use it to adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions. Search for a particular movie or actor just by saying the name. Google Assistant can also answer everyday questions and control connected smart home devices. The XBR-55A8F is also compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, Dolby Vision®, and HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or the TV's built-in apps
- self-illuminating OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panel produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
- 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme engine includes powerful real-time image processing for ultra-detailed pictures
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscales images to near-4K clarity while working at the pixel level to clean the picture and reduce noise
- HDR Remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- MotionFlow™ XR blur/judder reduction
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- Acoustic Surface technology makes the entire screen a speaker (50 watts total power)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- you can set up the TV to output sound from Bluetooth, the built-in speakers, and the headphone output at the same time
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 15-13/16"W x 10-1/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 48-3/8"W x 28-1/8"H x 2-1/4"D (28-1/4"H x 10-1/16"D on stand)
- weight: 48.9 lbs. with stand; 41.2 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 55" OLED TV
- Pedestal base
- 2 Pedestal brackets
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RMF-TX220U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 9' Dual IR blaster
- 3 Back-panel covers
- Stand cover
- Eight M5 x 14mm screws (lock-/flat-washers attached)
- Reference Guide
- Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety and Regulatory Booklet
- End User License Agreement
- PlayStation Vue brochure
- "Child Safety" note
Sony XBR-55A8F Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Screen Resolution (pixels)||3840 x 2160|
|Screen Refresh Rate||120 Hz|
|Backlighting Type (for LCD TVs)||N/A for OLED TVs|
|Local Dimming (for LCD TVs)||No|
|Quantum Dot Color (for LCD TVs)||N/A for OLED TVs|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)||HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix,Hulu,Vudu,Amazon,HBO|
|Bluetooth Audio Streaming||Yes|
|Picture In Picture||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Total Video Inputs||5|
|Component Video Inputs||0|
|Composite Video Inputs||0|
|Optical Digital Audio Output||
1 Rear |
|Analog Audio Output||
3.5mm Rear |
|Estimated Yearly Electricity Use (EnergyGuide)||264 kWh|
|Estimated Yearly Energy Cost (EnergyGuide)||$32|
|Dimensions & Mounting Information|
|Height with Stand (inches)||28-1/4|
|Height without Stand (inches)||28-1/8|
|Depth with Stand (inches)||10-1/8|
|Depth without Stand (inches)||2-1/4|
|Stand Width (inches)||15-7/8|
|Weight with Stand||48.9 lbs|
|Weight without Stand||41.2 lbs|
|Wall Bracket Included||No|
|Pedestal Stand||Assembly required|
|Bezel Dimensions||0.125 x 0.125 x 0.0.5625|
Network & USB Functions
Remote, Voice, & App Control
OLED Technology: This TV screen has millions of self-illuminating OLED pixels that can be individually activated to reproduce truly lifelike pictures. With over 8 million self-illuminating, individually controlled OLED pixels, you'll see real black, incredible contrast, and lifelike color. These OLED pixels work individually and can be turned off completely to deliver absolute black. Each pixel can go from off to bright in a fraction of a second. Because each pixel lights up independently, you'll see more accurate detail, color, and shades in every scene. This level of supreme contrast reveals detail, depth, textures, and colors for a view that's stunningly real. See video images that are bright and clear from any angle. Even in fast-moving scenes there's no blur; you'll see everything in perfect clarity.
4K HDR: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, color and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail.
- Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on a1080p HDTV. Its detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from inches away.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): High Dynamic Range (HDR)
enhances the dynamic range of a picture, increasing the contrast between the
brightest whites and darkest blacks. Every pixel is made more accurate,
regardless of resolution, bringing scenes to life with greater detail. HDR's
greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels brings greater
contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast
reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to
the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas
of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. Movies and
TV shows in HDR are closer to the original recording and the director's
vision with more brightness, contrast and color, for a truly lifelike
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision (Firmware Update Available): Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme: Sony's 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme includes powerful real-time image processing for ultra detailed picture. Made to enhance the latest generation of 4K HDR pictures, the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme brings reality to every scene. With 40% more real-time image processing than our renowned 4K Processor X1, it delivers unprecedented picture quality for everything you watch, upscaling content from any source nearer to 4K. The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme uses Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR technology, Precision Color Mapping, Object-based HDR Remaster, and Dynamic Contrast Enhancer to produce pure colors at higher brightness levels for truly natural pictures.
- Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR: Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR creates a smoother, more natural picture by minimizing its color banding. With 14-bit powerful signal processing, it breaks up the solid bands of color of an 8-bit or 10-bit source, up-converting to 14-bit equivalent gradation, with 64x more color levels. It delivers graceful reproduction of faces, sunsets, and other areas of subtle color. It creates smooth, natural 4K TV picture quality as you watch, without the "banding" that can occur on other TVs.
- Precision Color Mapping: Precision Color Mapping independently analyzes every scene and pixel so the perfect shade and tone are applied dynamically for rich, natural colors. It enhances and optimizes colors individually and finely in real time. It controls every color perfectly for rich and natural results.
- Object-Based HDR Remaster: With Object-based HDR remaster, the color in individual objects on screen is analyzed and the contrast adjusted; unlike most TVs where contrast is only adjusted along one black-to-white contrast curve. Because objects are remastered individually, this TV can reproduce greater depth, textures, and more realistic pictures. By analyzing the objects in each scene individually, Object-based HDR remaster optimizes and enhances color and contrast. It brings everything you watch closer to the quality of HDR. Dark elements get darker, bright elements brighter, and everything in between is more accurately lit, for realism in every scene never-before-possible on our TVs. You'll see contours on mountains, hidden textures on flowers, depth in clouds, and wildlife has the contrast and color of nature, for a more natural and realistic picture on screen.
- Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: The Dynamic Contrast Enhancer optimizes the range of brightness frame-by-frame according to what's happening on screen to reproduce deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more video color.
Note: Sony's OLED TVs are designed to prevent image burn-in. The TV's 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme detects if there is a static image on screen and shifts the pixel to avoid burn-in or image retention.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and clarity. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise. The other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity. These two powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from our experience creating content for TV and movies over the years. With 4K X-Reality PRO and Dual Database Processing, every image is upscaled closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD.
- Noise Reduction Database: Compressed noise is identified by the database, which includes "before and after" data on what a picture should look like and removes the compressed picture noise
- Upscaling Database: The upscaling database also includes "before and after" data, which is used to upscale the signal and create a more realistic picture
TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, a TRILUMINOS Display with its specially developed backlight selectively maps colors across a wider gamut, ensuring subtle colors do not become oversaturated and unnatural. You'll enjoy vivid, authentic images that evoke the emotion in every scene. TRILUMINOS Display uses a wider color spectrum than a conventional flat-panel TV display. A TRILUMINOS Display excels at reproducing reds, greens, and blues; colors that are notoriously difficult for TVs to display accurately. It also displays skin tones beautifully, thanks to its extensive color palette and precise gradation.
Motionflow XR: Sony's Motionflow XR refresh rate technology enhances the OLED TV's unique panel speed to allow fast moving action sequences in sports and movies to be seen with lifelike clarity. Enjoy smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones. It compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences
Video Inputs: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with HDMI 2.0b and 3.5mm video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0b: The OLED TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0b inputs to connect your Ultra-HD/HDR and HD sources; such as Ultra
Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Satellite/Cable and Playstation. In addition, any HDMI
input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept
4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. HDMI inputs 2 & 3 will do 4K
(60Hz), while HDMI inputs 1 & 4 will only support 4K (30/24Hz).
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- 3.5mm AV Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, there is also a 3.5mm AV input for connection of an analog audio/video component. There are no standard composite or component video inputs.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Adjustments: The TV offers a variety of screen, picture, and video adjustments to maximize image quality.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Theater (Pro/Home), Sports, Animation, Photo (Standard/Vivid/Custom), Game, or Custom.
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings
menu offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness, Contrast, Gamma (adjusts light/dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (enhances black areas).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color, Hue, Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (sets color reproduction range), or Live Color (produces vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness, Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), Smooth Gradation (prevents false contours) and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- Motion: Activate Sony's Motionflow technology to reduce motion blur and judder. CineMotion provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content, like Blu-ray & DVD.
Light Sensor & Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
Live Color Technology: Powered by an image processor using an algorithm specially developed by Sony, Live Color is able to reproduce incredibly vivid colors on screen. With four user-adjustable settings available (High/Medium/Low/Off), you can choose just how vivid you want your images to be. Whether it's a brilliant blue sky or a bright red rose, everything stands out so much more with Live Color.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Acoustic Surface Technology: Taking advantage of the OLED's backlight-less structure, Sony developed new Acoustic Surface sound technology. The Acoustic Surface technology lends to the cutting-edge design of Sony's OLED TV by doing away with conventional speakers usually located around the TV. Unlike most TV speakers that fire downward, sound comes to you from the entire screen, immersing you in exciting new entertainment experiences. Two actuators behind the TV vibrate the screen to create sound that's truly engaging. Thanks to this ingenious design, the entire screen resonates with rich sound emanating directly from the screen itself; there are also two rear-firing subwoofers positioned on the back-panel. This allows a perfect unification of picture and sound unattainable by conventional TVs. It produces a wide sound and image synchronization from all angles, even off to the sides. Together with OLED's exceptionally wide viewing angle, the TV offers unmatched visual and aural experience regardless of viewing position.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Sony Sound Technologies: The OLED TV utilizes a variety of proprietary Sony technologies to enhance and optimize sound quality.
- S-Force Front Surround: S-Force Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum; using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ fine-tunes TV sound for an immersive experience that seems to surround you. Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): Low-resolution Internet video and other heavily compressed audio files don't always sound so great. A large amount of information gets thrown away when digital audio is compressed. With Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology, lost frequency components (especially high frequencies) are restored for natural sound with a more spacious feel.
- Clear Phase: Sony uses a powerful computer model to analyze and compensate for inaccuracies in speaker response. It does this by "sampling" the speaker frequency with higher precision. This information is fed back to cancel out any peaks or dips in the speaker's natural response; resulting in pure, natural audio with smooth, even reproduction of all frequencies.
Other Audio Settings: The Sony OLED TV also features several audio settings to help tailor the sound to your preference, application, and source.
- EQ: The TV offers four EQ preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Sports. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
- Voice Zoom & Night Mode: The Voice Zoom feature makes voices clearer by lowering background sound. Night mode provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
- Volume Offset & Auto Volume: Volume Offset adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 3 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Android TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 3 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony OLED TV offers analog and digital audio outputs, as well as Bluetooth A2DP.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable.
- Bluetooth A2DP: The TV supports Bluetooth A2DP, allowing you to stream audio from the television's built-in and connected sources to a Bluetooth-enabled set of headphones or speakers (only one headphone, one speaker, or one pair of speakers can be connected). Bluetooth headphone volume level can be controlled from both the TV's remote and headphones. AV Sync allows you to adjust the delay between the picture and sound. Sony doesn't guarantee compatibility with all models of Bluetooth headphones.
Note: You can setup the TV to output sound from the TV speakers, the headphone output, and Bluetooth at the same time (this does not include the optical digital output or when the analog output is not set to headphone). Or, you can setup the TV to only output audio from a single output terminal.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony OLED TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV. In addition, the TV supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The Sony TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- Built-in WiFi: The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with Android's Nougat (7.0) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- 4K HDR Content: The Sony OLED TV supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K & 4K HDR video services - like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, YouTube, Google Play Movies/TV, PlayStation Video, and other providers.
- TV Shows & Movies: Watch standard definition and high definition movies and TV shows from Hulu Plus, HBO Go/HBO Now, Starz Play, ShowTime AnyTime, and more
- Live TV: Get live TV programming from PlayStation Vue & Sling Television
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, & Google Play Music.
- Sports: Get scores, news, and highlights from MLB.TV, FoxSportGo, the Direct Sports Network, and more.
- 4K & 4K HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming.
- Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Mobile Device Streaming: The Sony OLED TV allows you to wirelessly stream content from a compatible mobile device using ChromeCast Built-in for playback on the big screen. You can also "mirror" your compatible mobile device using Miracast. You can setup the TV to automatically turn on when you begin "casting" or "mirroring" content from a compatible mobile device.
- Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the Sony OLED TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, PlayStation Vue and more); your favorite music and radio stations (on Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more); Sports highlights (on ESPN, NBC, CBS, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony TV. For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Vewd Web Browser: You can download and install the Vewd Web Browser to access select web content through the Sony TV. The built-in web browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse select websites (text-based only). The Vewd Web Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use the Android TV apps. Some web-pages may not be supported and too large for download. The browsing experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video and Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Photo Sharing & Gaming: The Sony OLED TV offers unique features that allow you to enjoy online gaming via Google Play and photo sharing from your Android or Apple iOS device.
- Google Play Games w/ Gamepad: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
- Photo Sharing Plus: With Photo Sharing Plus, friends and family can share their memories together on the big screen from their Android (2.3+) or Apple iOS (6+) devices. Up to 10 mobile devices can be connected to the TV at once for a fun interactive experience. User can even save their favorite pics between devices.
Media Streaming: The Sony TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB mass storage class devices and DLNA certified devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC music files, MPEG/MP4/AVI/MKV/MOV/Xvid/WMA video files, and JPEG photo files.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from a connected USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) compliant device that is formatted in FAT 16/32, exFAT, or NTFS. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/900A).
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Remote w/ Built-in Mic: The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions through the built-in Google Assistant. The remote even has dedicated Google Play & Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker.
- IR Blaster: The included IR Blaster allows you to operate a set-top box and/or AV receiver that is connected to the television, with the Sony TV's remote control.
- IR Input: The IR input allows you to connect an IR extender (sold separately) in case the TV's IR receiver is obstructed from view.
Note: The remote's microphone and voice control function operate via Bluetooth, while all other remote functions are done through IR.
Digital Voice Assistant Control: The Sony UHD TV will support voice control of select functions through the built-in Google Assistant & optional Amazon Alexa enabled devices via a wireless network connection.
- Google Assistant: The Sony TV supports the Google Assistant through its Android operating system and the included IR remote's built-in microphone. Simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speak into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to turn volume up/down, change channels and inputs, search content on select built-in Android TV apps, and control basic playback functions. In addition to TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The TV also supports voice control through the Google Home family of wireless speakers (sold separately - see Accessories tab) and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
- Amazon Alexa: Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo family of speakers, sold separately - see Accessories tab) will be able to control key functions of the Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content. Click here for setup instructions.
Remote Apps: The Sony OLED TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App (for Android only) or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App (for Android & Apple iOS). Apple iPad users can even use the Spotlight by Samba TV app with the Sony UHD TV to get content recommendations.
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App from Google Play lets you use your Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone or tablet as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Video & TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony Video & TV SideView App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+), you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
- Spotlight by Samba TV App: The Spotlight by Samba TV app (for Apple iPad iOS 9.0+) offers tailor-made ads, notifications and behind the scenes info about your favorite shows and actors on your compatible Apple iPad device. The Spotlight by Samba TV synchronizes the experience you have on your tablet with what you're watching on TV, to suggest new appealing content.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a Blu-ray player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Optional Harmony Hub: Enjoy home automation control directly from the Sony Android TV, via the Logitech Harmony Hub (596HMNYHUB, sold separately). Everything from lights (including Phillips Hue), thermostats (including Nest) and security cameras, to other home entertainment systems can now be controlled at the push of a button on the Sony TV's remote control. This feature requires all compatible devices be connected to the same WiFi wireless network.
PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller (sold separately): If you have a Sony PlayStation 4, your DualShock 4 controller can become the TV's remote by downloading the BRAVIA TV Player app on your PlayStation 4 through the PlayStation Store. You'll also be able to control your PlayStation 4's on-screen user interface with the TV's remote.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with a compatible keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover Button & Content Bar: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.). Content is then displayed along the unobtrusive "Content Bar" at the bottom of the TV screen which quickly lets you find the movie, TV show, or video you're looking for. Call up the Content Bar and you can keep watching, while you scan through live TV, on demand, downloaded TV shows, and much more. You can even customize the Content Bar to show you the content you go to most often first.
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply activate the Voice Search function through the included remote control and built-in Google Assistant or the Android TV App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone/tablet. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the device's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: By pressing the "Action Menu" button on the remote, a menu appears and provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen, such as picture adjustment, sound adjustment, volume adjustment for the connected device (such as headphones), and display/audio change. The items in the menu differ depending on the selected screen.
Samba Interactive TV: Samba Interactive TV enhances the Sony TV by enabling new features like interest-based advertisements, program notifications, and behind the scenes information about your favorite shows and actors. Similar to apps like the Spotlight App (for Apple iOS), Samba Interactive TV synchronizes your experience on your tablet with what you are watching on the TV, and unlocks exclusive content and features.
- Samba TV uses mainstream TV shows, commercials, and movies to provide interest-based advertisements. Samba TV looks at content from video sources connected to your TV, such as your Blu-ray Disc player or set-top box, etc (the TV's Internal Internet App content isn't currently included). Samba TV doesn't gather any information about your personal videos or non-mainstream internet video you watch on your TV.
- Samba TV technology is designed to anonymously analyze statistical data captured from the video content you watch. Then, it provides interest-based advertisements, special offers, and new interactive features based on your viewing habits. No images of what's on the screen ever leaves the TV, and your viewing profile used for interest-based advertisements is associated with your TV, and not with you personally.
Notes: You can choose to "Enable" or "Disable" the Samba Interactive TV feature during the television's initial setup. Samba TV will clear your current viewing profile and prepare a new profile if you reset your advertising profile or do a TV factory reset in the television's system menu.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony OLED TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that it offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included IR remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs.
Power Management Functions: This Sony TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Pedestal Stand w/ Cable Management: The included pedestal stand allows you to place the Sony OLED TV on top of a piece of AV furniture. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached and requires assembly. The TV and pedestal stand have been designed with Sony's "Soft Minimalism" concept, helping it blend in with your living space. The pedestal and the back-panel of the TV include covers to hide your cable connections for neat and clean installation. The TV and pedestal stand do not swivel. The television weighs 48.9 lbs with the pedestal feet attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has four threaded screw inserts that are spaced 300mm (h) x 200mm (v) apart. The threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV screen is edged with a slim, narrow aluminum frame that maximizes the viewing area and looks beautiful on your wall. The TV weighs 41.2 lbs without the stand.Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Sony OLED TV comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The AC power cord is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug which sits approximately 1.5625" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Because my 2017 LG OLED55B7P stopped working after 15 months (3 months after warranty expired). LG did finally agree to replace the panel but it took a month. [ Darryl Oct 29, 2018 ]
Because my LG OLED has been bricked for the past 2 months and I'm tired of fighting with squaretrade and LG to fix, so buying another 3 thousand dollar TV.... [ M Oct 03, 2018 ]
Highly rated from many review sites. Chose Crutchfield based of positive past experience. [ Anthony Jul 01, 2018 ]
Highest rated OLED [ STEPHEN Jun 29, 2018 ]
Previous experience with Sony. Features of this tv [ James Jun 23, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
3 answers It states in the specifications that this model has a detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 15-13/16"W x 10-1/16"D). I have a Sony Sound Bar that is 28" wide I need to be able to set this TV on top of the sound bar using the pedestal stand. I just want to make sure that this TV will fit on top of the sound bar? [ Kevin Jul 12, 2018 ]
The pedestal is detachable, The screen at 48 inches wide will extend beyond your 28 inch sound bar. The screen sits somewhat in the center of the pedestal with 3.85 inches extending in front of the screen. The picture on this model looks fantastic. I hope this helps. [ GARY Jul 12, 2018 ]
It should work perfectly. Just bear in mind the TV has a very slight tilt to it which can be resolved with a small wedge in back to make it appear straighter. Other than that it's a good TV. Can't go wrong with a Sony. [ LEONARD A Jul 12, 2018 ]
I temporarily had mine sitting on top of my Klipsch center channel speaker. That surface is 20 1/2 x 9 1/4 and the tv was fully supported. You just want to be sure that your soundbar can handle the weight. [ STEPHEN Jul 12, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get Sony's finest 55" OLED TV ever, modeled on the professional monitors used in Hollywood.
The Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9F offers these features:
Picture Processor X1 Ultimate — Sony's most powerful processor ever
Pixel Contrast Booster enhances color contrast in high-luminance scenes
Netflix Calibrated mode and CalMAN autocalibration capability
3.2-channel Acoustic Surface Audio+ in-screen speaker system
"lean-back" design with easel-style stand
Frequently Compared With
55" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
55" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
55" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9F
55" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)$3,499.99