JBL Arena 130
Our take on the JBL Arena 130 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The Arena 130's HDI waveguide and computer-optimized driver positioning ensure accurate, lifelike sound across a wide listening area.
A compact speaker with a big voice
When it comes to speakers, JBL knows their stuff. They should — they've been building high-performance loudspeakers for decades. Their Arena 130 bookshelf speakers use JBL's long-standing design expertise to deliver an affordable speaker with impressively big sound and a sleek, compact enclosure.
Each cabinet features a high-output 7" woofer for deep, powerful lows and clear mids, plus a 1" soft dome tweeter for smooth, extended highs. The Arena 130's room-filling, full-range sound makes it a great choice for both music and home theater systems.
Born from JBL's storied studio heritage
The Arena series' crisp, punchy sound was inspired by JBL's mighty M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the finest speakers they've ever created. The Arena 130's tweeter uses JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology to help deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
Build a complete Arena system
JBL Arena series speakers let you enjoy dramatic and well-defined sound in just about any room. Use a pair to create a high-quality stereo system, or build your own custom home theater speaker system by combining Arena bookshelf or tower speakers with JBL's Arena 125C center channel speaker. And don't forget to add the perfectly matched Arena Sub 100P powered subwoofer to get deep, rumbling bass in the mix.
- 1" soft dome tweeter with HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology for detailed sound across a wide listening area
- 7" polycellulose woofer for powerful mids and bass
- frequency response: 55-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-125 watts
- bass reflex (ported) cabinet design
- computer-optimized driver positioning and crossover network integration for lifelike imaging and soundstaging
- binding post speaker terminals
- black wood-grain vinyl finish
- 8-9/16"W x 15"H x 10-5/8"D
- weight: 13.5 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (installed)
- 8 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
JBL Arena 130 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||7|
|Frequency Response||55-40k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||22-26|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a two-way driver design with a single 1" soft-dome tweeter and one 7" polycellulose cone woofer, plus a 18db/oct. 2kHz crossover. Computer-optimized driver positioning and a precision crossover network result in ideal performance and lifelike soundstage imaging. The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeaker delivers room-filling sound for movies, TV shows, sports, music, and video games.
High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide: The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeaker's tweeter incorporates a High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide. This High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide technology takes its cues from the legendary JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor. The HDI waveguide aids in the tweeter's ability to produce lifelike clarity & accuracy.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The bookshelf loudspeaker employs a bass reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The contemporary-styled cabinet features angled side panels and top panels for a sophisticated, modern look. The side panels feature a black wood-grain laminate, while the top panel features a black textured vinyl finish.
Detachable Grille: The included grilles are detachable and feature black cloth with silver plastic trim.
Binding Post Terminals: The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeaker is fitted with a set of binding-post terminals which will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). The binding-post terminals are gold-plated for maximum signal transfer and resistance to corrosion.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeakers can be used as front speakers in a stereo or multichannel audio system, as well as surround speakers in a 5.1ch or 7.1ch system.
- Front Speaker Use: The JBL bookshelf loudspeakers should be placed approximately 6-10' apart and angled between 40-60° toward the listening position. The bookshelf speakers should be positioned so that the tweeters are close to ear level. Generally, bass output will increase as the speaker is moved closer to a wall or corner. JBL recommends that you place the speakers at least 20" away from the side walls.
- Surround Speakers Use: In a 5.1ch system, the bookshelf speakers should be placed slightly behind the listening position, facing each other. As surround side speakers in a 7.1ch system, place the speaker directly to the sides of the listening position. As surround back speakers in a 7.1ch system, place the speakers on the wall behind the listening position and 3-6' apart. Always position the speakers at least 5-6' from the floor when used as surround or surround back speakers in a 5.1ch or 7.1ch setup.
Mounting Options: The JBL Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeakers can be can be placed on a flat surface; like a stand, shelf, or tabletop. Self-adhesive rubber feet are supplied to help secure the speaker to the flat surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: The bookshelf speaker does not offer wall-mount capability.
JBL Arena Series: The Arena 130 bookshelf loudspeaker is part of JBL's Arena series of loudspeakers, which includes floorstanding speakers, bookshelf speakers, a center-channel speaker, a powered sub, as well as in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed to replace speakers. Looking for something more compact [ Ruth Dec 28, 2017 ]
specs [ richard Nov 07, 2017 ]
Have a pair in my garage and wanted to update old Cerwin-Vega speakers in the home. Like the sound of the JBL Arena 130's and this pair is $75 less than the first one. [ Marshall Jul 10, 2017 ]
I have been around JBL in the music industry for years and trust what they produce. [ Alan Dec 09, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
You will need a receiver with Bluetooth capability that can sync with your phone. If you prefer portability and a less expensive option check into a Bluetooth powered speaker by Bose or JBL . The Bluetooth speaker option gives up quite a bit in terms of sound and stereo imaging but costs much less and is portable with a rechargeable battery [ Richard Feb 28, 2017 ]