15.3-megapixel ultra-compact camera with 4K video recording, Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Item # 158DSCRX0 | MFR # DSCRX0
Instant savings: -$100.00
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony DSC-RX0 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Not your ordinary action cam
Sony's ultra-compact DSC-RX0 camera is tough enough to go along on any adventure, but it's got quite a lot going for it besides that. With a large 1" sensor, blazing-fast processor, and high-quality wide-angle ZEISS lens, this unique little camera excels at capturing high-resolution video and stills, even in low light or difficult environments.
Create stunning 4K movies
The 'RX0 has pro-level features for recording richly detailed movies in 4K or Full HD resolution. The camera's Picture Profile system includes S-Log 2 gamma curves for shooting wide dynamic range scenes. A clean HDMI output sends uncompressed movie data to an external recorder or monitor. You can keep recording internally to the camera even when using this function.
The Sony DSC-RX0 lets you freeze time with high-speed action captures.
Slow down time
The 'RX0's speedy processing lets you take high-speed photos and slow-motion video. You can freeze objects in motion with electronic shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 seconds, or slow down time with 40X super-slow-motion HD video capability. Capture fleeting moments like fireworks bursting in midair, or a butterfly flapping its wings, and watch the action unfold in ways you've never seen before.
Creative shooting freedom and flexibility
The 'RX0 expands the capabilities of the action camera beyond anything we've seen so far. A full complement of available accessories lets you add external microphones, lights and filters, and even take the camera underwater down to 330 feet — a tenfold increase over its native capabilities.
This capable little camera works great as part of a multi-camera system. Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app gives you smooth control of multiple cameras from your phone or tablet (up to 50 cameras with version 6.2; possible firmware update required). And if you need even more, Sony's CCB-WD1 Wired Control Box lets you link up to 100 cameras via a wired IP connection for seamless control and precise video sync support.
- 15.3-megapixel effective recording
- wide-angle ZEISS Tessar T* f/4 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 24mm)
- large 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor for low noise and exceptional sensitivity
- BIONZ X™ image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to a compatible mobile device for easy sharing
- allows remote control of multiple DSC-RX0 cameras with free PlayMemories Mobile app
- Bluetooth allows remote power on/off operation
- waterproof down to 33 feet
- shock-resistant to drops from heights up to 6.5 feet
- records photos and video onto optional microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC, and Memory Stick Micro™ memory cards
- up to 5.5 frames per second in continuous shooting mode (up to 16 frames per second in speed priority continuous mode) with reduced blackout
- 230,400-dot 1.5" LCD monitor with brightness control
- electronic shutter speed range: 1/4-1/32,000 seconds
- electronic shutter allows clear fast-action photos and slow motion video
- variable ISO settings from ISO 125-12,800
- low-light movie imaging effective down to 6 lux
- Program Auto, Manual Exposure, and MR (Memory Recall) still shooting modes
- Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Superior Auto, Manual Exposure, and HFR (high frame rate) movie modes
- up to 4K video resolution
- movie file formats: XAVC S, AVCHD
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output supports 4K and full HD
- face and eye detection autofocus for sharper portraits
- 14 Creative Style modes (including Sunset, Night Scene, and Autumn Leaves) for enhanced images of different subjects and scenes
- Picture Effect modes like Soft Focus and Retro Photo let you add creative touches
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI (Type D) output (cable not included)
- high-speed micro USB interface
- 3.5mm microphone input
- 2-3/8"W x 1-5/8"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight: (with battery and memory card) 3.9 oz.
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack (NP-BJ1)
- AC adapter
- micro USB cable
- wrist strap
- memory card protector
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Ultra-compact digital camera
- NP-BJ1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh)
- AC-UUD12 AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1.5A)
- 23" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Memory Card Protector
- Wrist strap
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Limited Warranty (US + Can)
- Product registration sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||1.5"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24mm|
|Highest Resolution||4800 x 3200|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||3.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Ultra Compact Camera: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX0 digital camera is a miniature digital camera with maximum performance. Measuring only 2-3/8" x 1-5/8" x 1-3/16" (WxHxD), the RX0 packs a lot of technology into a tiny form factor. The camera has a 1", 15.3MP image sensor and a Zeiss lens for excellent picture quality. It also features a waterproof, shockproof, and crushproof body.
1.5" LCD Screen: The DSC-RX0 has a 1.5" Clear Photo LCD screen with 230,400 dots. The LCD brightness control can be set manually from -2 to +2, or to Sunny Weather for shooting outdoors. There is no separate viewfinder.
Recording Media: The camera is compatible with the following recording media: microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC, and Memory Stick Micro (M2). SD Speed Class 4 or faster or UHS Speed Class 1 cards are recommended for recording still images, MP4 movies and AVCHD movies. SD Speed Class 10 or faster or UHS Speed Class 1 (SDHC or SDXC) cards are recommended for XAVC S movies.
Image Recording Formats: The camera records still images and movies in the following file formats:
- Still Images:
- JPEG (Extra Fine, Fine, and Standard compression)
- RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 Format)
- JPEG+RAW (images from both formats created at the same time)
- XAVC S (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video; 2-channel, 48kHz/16-bit LPCM audio)
- AVCHD Ver. 2.0 format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video; Dolby Digital 2ch audio)
- MP4 (MPEG-4/H.264 video; 2-channel AAC audio)
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1.0" stacked, back-illuminated Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with a DRAM chip. This 13.2 x 8.8mm (1") image sensor has approximately 21.0-million total pixels and 15.3-million effective pixels and a 3:2 aspect ratio. Paired with the image sensor is the high speed BIONZ X image processor.
Lens: The camera is equipped with a bright Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* (T-star) 7.7mm (24mm equivalent) lens with F4.0 aperture. The lens is constructed with 6 aspheric element in 6 groups.
Rugged Construction: The DSC-RX0 has an extra rigid, super duralumin body that is built to withstand even the toughest photo shoots. The camera underwent rigorous texting to ensure superior performance, and was certified to the following standards:
- Waterproof: The camera is sealed so that it is waterproof down to 33 feet (10 meters) without a waterproof housing.
- Shockproof: The quality craftsmanship of the camera helps the internal components withstand the impact of drops to the ground from heights of 6-1/2 feet (2 meters).
- Crushproof: The super-rigid body makes the camera crushproof under weights of up to 400 foot-pounds (200kgf / 2000N).
Anti-Distortion Shutter: The camera's Anti-Distortion Shutter is capable of shutter speeds of up to 1/32000 sec. Coupled with the speed of the Exmor RS sensor, image distortion of swiftly moving objects, caused by conventional rolling shutters, is minimized.
Still Image Sizes: When recording digital still images, the DSC-RX0 allows you to choose from multiple image sizes in four aspect ratios: 3:2 (for printing), 16:9 (for viewing on an HDTV), 4:3 (for viewing on a computer), and 1:1 (for shooting as a medium format camera). The following image sizes are available:
|Large||15M: 4800 x 3200||13M: 4800 x 2704||14M: 4272 x 3200||10M: 3200 x 3200|
|Medium||7.7M: 3408 x 2272||6.5M: 3408 x 1920||6.9M: 3024 x 2272||5.2M: 2272 x 2272|
|Small||3.8M: 2400 x 1600||3.2M: 2400 x 1352||3.4M: 2128 x 1600||2.6M: 1600 x 1600|
|VGA||640 x 480|
Recording Movies: Besides recording still images, the RX0 can also record high quality movies, in Full HD and HD. You can record movies in the low-compression, high-quality XAVC S format, AVCHD for easy editing and sharing, or MPEG-4 for uploading to your favorite social media sites. You can choose between NTSC (60, 30, 24 fps) and PAL (50, 25 fps) for worldwide compatibility. Available image sizes and movie quality include:
|Movie Format||Image Quality||Avg Bit Rate||Image Size|
|XAVC S HD||60p/50p/30p/25p/24p||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|120p/100p||50 Mbps||1280 x 720|
|AVCHD||PS 60p/50p||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|FX 60i/50i/25p/24p||24 Mbps|
|FH 60i/50i/25p/24p||17 Mbps|
|MP4||60p/50p||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|30p/25p||6 Mbps||1280 x 720|
Dual Video Recording: When recording a movie, you can choose to simultaneously record an XAVC S movie and an MP4 movie, or an AVCHD movie and an MP4 movie.
4K Movie Output: The DSC-RX0 can shoot uncompressed 4K movies and simultaneously output them via HDMI to an external recorder that supports 4K. 4K movies can be output at 30p (25p PAL) or 24p. You cannot save a 4K movie to a memory card inserted into the camera.
Built-in Wi-Fi/NFC: The RX0 lets you connect wirelessly with smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi and NFC (near field communication). Using the PlayMemories Mobile app, available for Android 4.1 and up from Google Play and for iOS 8.0 and up from the App Store, you can send images to, or control your camera from your smartphone or tablet. Up to five RX0 cameras can be controlled by a tablet or smartphone with PlayMemories Mobile. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can send images to your computer or view on a Wi-Fi-enabled TV.
Drive Modes: The camera offers multiple Drive Modes. In addition to single image shooting, you can choose from the following:
- Continuous Shooting: The camera shoots continuous images at approximately 5.5 frames per second while you press and hold down the shutter release.
- Speed Priority Continuous: Shoots full 15 megapixel images continuously at up to 16 frames per second while you press and hold the shutter release button.
- Self-Timer: You can set the Self-Timer mode to a 10-second, 5-second, or 2-second delay so you can be in the picture.
- Self-Timer Continuous: The Self-Timer Continuous shooting mode takes continuous frames after a 10-, 5-, or 2-second delay. You can choose 3 or 5 frames to be taken.
- Continuous Bracket: The Continuous Bracket mode lets you shoot a series of images with a single press of the shutter button, each with a different exposure setting--some at normal exposure, some under exposed, and some over exposed.
- Single Bracket: The Single Bracket offers the same choices as the Continuous Bracket above, however, you must press the shutter release button for each picture.
- WB Bracket: The WB Bracket mode shoots three images, each with different color tones according to the selected settings of white balance, color temperature, and color filter. You can choose the a low or high bracket deviation value.
- DRO Bracket: The camera shoots a total of three images, each with a different degree of D-Range Optimizer.
Auto Focus Areas: You can select from the following auto focusing areas:
- Wide: The camera focuses in all ranges of the image. When you press the shutter button halfway, a green frame is displayed around the area that is in focus.
- Center: The camera focuses on a subject in the center of the image.
- Flexible Spot: The camera focuses on a very small area that can be moved around the frame to the desired point on the screen.
- Expand Flexible Spot: If focus isn't obtained on the single selected point, you can use focus points around the flexible spot as the second priority area to achieve focus.
Manual Focus: When it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode, you can adjust the focus manually. When in Manual Focus mode, the up/down/left/right buttons around the LCD monitor can be pressed to achieve sharp focus. Manual Focus is available for still images and movies.
Face Detection: Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces to assure sharp focus, and deliver accurate, natural skin tones. It can also give priority to children or adults. You can also select and register individual faces to be given priority.
Scene Recognition: Scene Recognition is used in the Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto shooting modes. This function automatically detects different types of scenes and selects the appropriate camera settings. The camera recognizes the following scenes: Portrait, Infant, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, and Low Light.
Shooting Modes: You can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: The Auto Mode allows you to shoot still
images under any condition with good results by setting the values
determined by the camera. You can choose between two Auto Modes:
- Intelligent Auto Mode (iAuto): Allows you to shoot still images with automatic scene recognition.
- Superior Auto Mode (iAuto+): Allows you to shoot still images with automatic scene recognition, with an emphasis on dark or backlit scenes.
- Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the shutter speed adjusted automatically (aperture value fixed at F4). You can also select various settings using the menu.
- Manual Exposure: You can set the exposure manually by adjusting the shutter speed. If the ISO is set to other than ISO Auto, you can check the metered exposure value, and set the exposure to 0 (metered value), or adjust the exposure toward + or -.
- Memory Recall: You can set and store often-used modes and numeric settings for recall at a later time.
- Movie Mode: Allows you to record XAVC S, AVCHD or MPEG-4 movies with stereo audio. You can select Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, and Manual Exposure for movies.
- HFR (High Frame Rate): This mode allows you to shoot slow motion movies. Movie frame rates can be set to 60p 50M, 30p 50M, and 24p 50M (NTSC) and 50p 50M and 25p 50M for PAL. You can select shooting frame rates of 240 fps, 480 fps, 960 fps (NTSC) and 250 fps, 500 fps, and 1000 fps (PAL). The playback speed varies depending on the set frame rate and record setting.
Exposure Compensation: Besides auto exposure, you can adjust the exposure from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following Metering Modes:
- Spot Metering: Spot metering lets you adjust the exposure to the subject, even when the subject is a backlit or when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background.
- Center-weighted Metering: Center-weighted metering measures the center of the image and determines the exposure based on the brightness of the subject.
- Multi-pattern Metering: When multi-pattern metering is used, the image is divided into multiple regions and metering is performed in each region. The camera judges the subject position and background brightness, and determines a well-balanced exposure.
White Balance: The White Balance lets you adjust the color tones according to the ambient light conditions. White Balance can be set automatically, or to one of the following presets: Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (warm white), Fluorescent (cool white), Fluorescent (day white), Fluorescent (daylight), Underwater Auto, Color Temperature/Filter, Custom 1/2/3 (saved White Balance settings), and Custom Set (memorizes the basic white color which will be used).
Grid Lines: The cameras on-screen grid lines make it easy to set a subject's horizontal and vertical position. You can choose from the following grid line overlays: Rule of 3rds, Square, Diagonal + Square, and Off.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
Folder View Modes: The Sony DSC-RX0's View Mode allows you to select your recorded images and movies by sorting them into the following folders: Date View, Folder View (Still), Folder View (MP4), AVCHD View, and XAVC S HD View.
Index View: In addition to viewing images one-by-one in full screen, you can view multiple images at once in the index view mode. The index feature lets you to display a total of 9 (3 x 3) or 25 (5 x 5) images at once.
Slide Show: The Slide Show function lets you play back images one after the other. The interval between the pictures can be adjusted, allowing you to choose 1, 3, 5, 10, and 30 seconds. When repeat is selected, the images are replayed in a continuous loop.
Rotating Images: Recorded images can be rotated 360-degrees in 90-degree increments on the camera's LCD screen.
Picture Effect: You can add effects to images to make them look more impressive and artistic. You can choose from the following: Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Deleting/Protecting Images: You can delete a selected image, or you can delete all the unprotected images at once. In order to avoid accidentally deleting of an image, it can be protected.
Print Mark: You can place a print mark on still images recorded with this camera. This mark is convenient when you have images printed at a shop that conforms to the DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) standard.
Battery Information: The DSC-RX0 is powered by the supplied NP-BJ1 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.7V, 700mAh, 2.6Wh). Using the supplied AC-UUD12 AC adapter, the battery can be fully charged in the camera in approximately 135 minutes. Under normal operating conditions, the battery has the following capacity:
|Shooting Still Images||Approx. 240 images|
|Actual Shooting Movies||Approx. 35 minutes|
|Continuous Shooting Movies||Approx. 60 minutes|
Internal Battery: The camera has an internal rechargeable battery for maintaining the date and time and other settings regardless of whether the power is on or off. The battery is continually charged as long as you are using the camera. If the camera isn't used for about a month, the internal battery can become discharged. The camera can still be used with a discharged internal battery, however, the date and time will not be shown. The internal battery can be fully recharged in approximately 24 hours with the power off and a charged battery pack is in the camera.
HDMI: The RX0 has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV or external recorder. A Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required to make the connection. If you are connecting to a Sony Bravia TV with Bravia Sync, you can control the camera using the TV's remote control.
Multi/Micro USB : The camera features a Micro-B USB jack (labeled "Multi") for connecting a Micro USB cable for downloading your photos to your computer or printer, or charging the battery in the camera. The interface is USB 2.0 High Speed compatible.
Microphone: A 3.5mm jack is provided for connecting an external microphone. If the external mic requires plug-in power, the jack will supply power to the mic. The built-in microphone will be muted when an external mic is plugged in.
Memory Card Protector: The camera's connections and memory card slot are all located on the rear panel, protected by a waterproof door. Whenever you plug in an HDMI cable, Micro USB cable, or external microphone, the door must be removed, exposing the memory card. Included with the camera is a plastic memory card protector that prevents the memory card from being knocked loose accidentally when the door is removed.
Custom Accessories: Sony has designed a number of accessories specifically for use with the DSC-RX0. These accessories can help you set up a multi-camera system, attach filters, shoot underwater, and more. Available accessories include:
- Cable Protector (CPT-R1): The cable protector provides strain relief for connected HDMI and USB cables to prevent them from accidentally detaching. The tripod thread adapter provides an anchor point for the cable protector.
- Water Housing (MPK-HSR1): The camera is waterproof down to 33 feet. With the waterproof housing, that depth is increased tenfold, down to 330 feet. The housing also allows you to add a video light or a 55mm filter.
- Spare Battery (NP-BJ1): Having a spare battery will give you more shooting capacity between charges.
- Cage (VCT-CGR1): The cage surrounds the camera and provides additional 1/4" screw holes for flexible mounting options. It also helps to dissipate heat during operation.
- Filter Adapter Kit (VFA-305R1): The Filter Adapter Kit includes an adapter for attaching a 30.5mm filter for creative shooting. You can also attach a lens hood, and a memory card protector.
- Spare Lens Protector (VF-SPR1): The camera's front lens protector is removable. Having an extra lens protector in your camera bag is practical in case one gets broken.
Available Camera Software: The performance of the DSC-RX0 can be enhanced through the use of available software from Sony. The URLs for the software can be found in the included Instruction Manual or online Help Guide. The software is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 (SP1), as well as Mac OS X 10.10-10.11, and macOS 10.12. The available software includes:
- PlayMemories Home: PlayMemories Home allows you to import images from the camera to your computer and play them back, share images online, edit movies, add effects, and change the playback speed of movies. If using a Windows OS, you can also organize images on a calendar by shooting date, edit and correct images, create a disc from imported movies, and upload images to a network service.
- Image Data Converter: Image Data Converter software is required to display, process, save, and display images recorded in RAW format.
- Remote Camera Control: Remote Camera Control software allows you to change the camera settings, record images directly to your computer, and perform interval timer shooting. The camera must be connected directly to your computer via a USB cable when using this software.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
15.3-megapixel ultra-compact camera with 4K video recording, Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$599.99$100.00 Instant savings$699.99
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS
20.2-megapixel digital camera with Wi-Fi® and 25X optical zoom
Nikon Coolpix A900
20-megapixel camera with 35X optical zoom, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Video Creator Kit
20.1-megapixel digital camera with mini tripod, spare battery, and 32GB memory card