JBL Control® 31
10" 2-way surface mount speaker for distributed audio systems (White)
Our take on the JBL Control® 31 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
JBL's rugged Control 31 speakers deliver high-fidelity sound with solid bass for business applications like outdoor restaurant seating, patio bars, and more. This rugged speaker is built to JBL's exacting specifications, with a 10" woofer and 1" high-output compression driver that makes sure music and announcements can be heard loud and clear in a busy workplace.
The InvisiBall® mounting system allows you to make a permanent installation that remains flexible, allowing 37 degrees of movement in the vertical plane and 40 degrees of horizontal rotation. The cabinet and grille can be painted to match any decor.
Built to last
Each speaker features a tough woven fiberglass cone woofer with JBL's rubberized WeatherEdge™ surround for extra protection, so you can add music to a restaurant's dining patio or set up a complete sound system for a water park. The 1" compression driver can stand up to sun, salt and moisture. The speaker grilles are plated with zinc to resist rusting.
Get a free system design
- 10" woven fiberglass cone woofer
- 1" high-output compression driver
- 110° x 110° coverage with rotating horn
- handles up to 250 watts continuous program power
- frequency response: 33-19,000 Hz (-10dB)
- on-wall design with weather-resistant enclosure and transducers
- 150-watt transformer for 70-volt or 100-volt distributed audio systems
- 8-ohm bypass for use with conventional receivers and amplifiers
- built-in InvisiBall® mounting system allows vertical and horizontal rotation of speakers
- cabinet and grille can be painted to match your decor
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- maximum SPL: 116 dB
- 14-5/8"W x 23-5/16"H x 13-1/2"D
- weight: 41.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- One Control speaker
- InvisiBall wall-mount plate
- Input panel cover
- 12" Allen key
- Two plastic bushings
- Two flat-washers
- Four 1/2" flat-head screws
- Owner's manual
Features and Specs
|Drivers per speaker||2|
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.0|
|System Frequency response||42-14k|
|Peak Power rating||---|
Overview: The JBL Control 31 is a 70/100 volt speaker designed for commercial applications, both indoor and outdoor. Its improved voicing allows for an extremely flat response, high-fidelity, and extended bandwidth from an 10" woven fiberglass woofer and 1" high-output compression driver, providing up to 110˚ of horizontal and vertical coverage. It can be run in either 70 or 100 volt applications and includes an 8Ω Thru setting as well. Other features include a highly weather-resistant enclosure and flexible mounting options.
Enclosure: Designed for indoor and outdoor use, the Control 31 series speakers have been maximized for weather resistance. They feature a high-impact polystyrene (HIPS) enclosure along with a thermoset composite coated grill with WeatherMax foam lining to minimize water incursion. The woofer is made of woven fiberglass with a butyl rubber surround and the 1" compression driver is made from high temperature polymer. Input terminals are zinc coated for rust-resistance and can have further protection from the included input terminal cover. The Control 31 carries an IP-55 rating per IEC 529 and exceeds MilSpec 810 for humidity, salt spray, temperature, and UV. It also passes Mil-Std-202F for salt spray.
Mounting: JBL offers flexible mounting options for the Control 31 speaker. Along with sitting on either a vertical or horizontal surface, the speaker can be suspended using any of the ten 6mm suspension points, which can also accommodate JBL's optional U-bracket (sold separately). The speaker can also be wall mounted using the included InvisiBall mounting hardware. The Control 31 speaker has a removable rear socket cover allowing the ball of the mount to sit inside the speaker. The socket is then tightened, using the included 12" Allen key, via the access hole underneath the removable front grill emblem. The InvisiBall mount allows up to 41˚ of horizontal rotation and up to 36˚ of vertical rotation. A 6mm threaded socket on the rear is provided for a secondary safety attachment point.
70/100 Volt: The Control 31 is designed primarily to be used in 70 and 100 volt applications, but also includes an 8 ohm bypass mode (Thru). Its top-quality, 150 watt, line distribution transformer is designed for minimal insertion loss and reduced saturation. A tap setting adjustment-screw on the rear of the speaker allows for the following 70 and 100 volt wattage options:
- 70 V: 19W, 38W, 75W, 150W
- 100 V: 38W, 75W, 150W
- 8Ω: Thru
- Frequency Response (-3dB): 42Hz - 14kHz
- Frequency Range (-10dB): 33Hz - 19kHz
- Maximum SPL: 116 dB continuous, 123 dB peak
- Nominal Sensitivity: 92 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Crossover Type: 2nd order high-pass, 2nd order low-pass, plus conjugate shaping circuitry
- Nominal Coverage Angle: 110˚ Horizontal, 110˚ Vertical
- Low Frequency: 10" Woven fiberglass cone with pure butyl rubber surround
- High Frequency: 1" Compression driver
- Transformer Taps:
- 70 V: 19W, 38W, 75W, 150W
- 100 V: 38W, 75W, 150W
- Thru Position: 8Ω Nominal
- Enclosure: High-impact polystyrene (HIPS)
- Grill: Zinc plated and thermoset-composite coated steel, WeatherMax multi-layer foam vapor barrier
- Terminals: 2 Terminal strip with set-screws, accepts up to 12 AWG wire
- Colors: Black or White
- Dimensions: Width - 14.50", Height - 23.375", Depth - 13.750"
- Net Weight: 41.5 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.