In-ceiling surround speaker with built-in back-box
Our take on the PSB C-SUR by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A unique, dual-purpose in-ceiling surround speaker
PSB has engineered some pretty cool speakers over the years. But I've never been more intrigued with their crafty design work than I am with the C-SUR. Its unique construction allows you to use a single speaker for two separate surround channels in a "7.1-channel" home theater setup.
Here's how it works: The C-SUR has two pairs of woofers and tweeters. Each pair has its own set of input terminals, so you can send side- and rear-channel surround information to the same speaker. Each channel's woofer and tweeter pair are angled away from the other set, firing sound in multiple directions for an immersive surround sound experience.
The C-SUR's two sets of drivers are angled to create wraparound sound effects in your system.
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
One of my favorite features of the C-SUR is the back-box that's built onto the speaker. This carefully designed enclosure helps it deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is above it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out of your speaker.
Build a matching in-ceiling system
I recommend using one C-SUR on each side of your in-ceiling surround system. For a spectacular front soundstage that fires sound directly at your seat, I recommend a trio of PSB's matching C-LCRs for your front left, right, and center channels.
PSB's rotating-cam design makes the in-ceiling installation straightforward. Once you have the C-SUR in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the ceiling.
If this is a do-it-yourself installation, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- high-performance in-ceiling surround sound speaker
- angled-baffle design directs sound towards your listening position
- built-in enclosure ensures great sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- also reduces sound leakage into adjacent areas
- dual-input design features dedicated speaker wire inputs for each woofer and tweeter pair
- a single C-SUR can be used for both a surround and a surround back channel in a 7.1 system
- dual 1" titanium dome tweeters
- dual 5-1/4" clay and ceramic reinforced polypropylene woofers
- frequency response: 70-23,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- includes paintable and removable magnetic grille
- overall dimensions including grille: 14-13/16"W x 14-13/16"H
- cutout dimensions: 13-3/16"W x 13-3/16"H
- mounting depth: 8"
- weight: 17.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- PSB Logo
- Cutout Template
- Quick Start Guide
Amazing sound and easy installation. Crutchfield with excellent support. One of these speakers got lost in Shipping. They immediately sent another one with free 2 day shipping.
Anonymous, Edmond, OK
PSB C-SUR Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||13.1875 x 13.1875|
|Woofer Composition||Clay/Ceramic polypropylene|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-150|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
CustomSound Series: Designed inside the anechoic chamber at Canada's National Research Council, this CustomSound series in-wall speaker is engineered with PSB's unparallel driver technology. The CustomSound series C-SUR incorporates advanced driver technology developed from PSB's Imagine Series of bookshelf/floor-standing loudspeakers and adapts it for the unique requirements of custom installation
In-Wall Surround Speakers: Because each woofer/tweeter pair of the PSB CustomSound series C-SUR has its own crossover and input, a single C-SUR speaker can be used for both the surround and surround back channels (left or right) providing an ideal solution for a 7.1ch theater in smaller rooms. The CustomSound series C-SUR is also an excellent "height channel" speaker because of its diffuse soundfield characteristics that can spread sound over a wide area.
Dual Mode Configuration: The C-SUR in-ceiling speaker uses two 5.25" clay/ceramic polypropylene cone woofers and two 1" titanium, Ferrofluid cooled dome tweeters in a unique dual-mode configuration.
- 1" Titanium Dome Tweeters: The two 1" titanium, Ferrofluid cooled dome tweeter's light yet rigid diaphragm and over hung voice coil, combined with a computer optimized magnetic circuit produce an extended high frequency response that remains distortion free even at extreme volume levels. The front baffle is designed to eliminate mid and high frequency diffractions, maximizing three dimensional realism.
- 5.25" Clay/Ceramic Polypropylene Woofers: The two clay/ceramic polypropylene cone woofers employ a rubber surround for smooth response and an aluminum phase plug that acts as a heat sink for the voice coil, reducing power compression.
Acoustic Enclosure: Unlike many other in-wall speakers whose performance is compromised by the very wall into which they are installed, PSB includes a superbly engineered enclosure that ensures the acoustic integrity of the design in every installation. This truly rigid speaker baffle is essential for resonance-free sound and makes it possible to get a predictable high quality result in every installation. The computer-modeled enclosure has exactly the right internal volume to match the drivers to deliver high sensitivity combined with excellent bass extension and quality.
Spring-Post Terminals: The PSB CustomSound series in-ceiling speaker is outfitted with two sets of spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, and banana-plugs (single only). Each woofer and tweeter pair has its own set spring-post terminals. Jumpers are pre-installed to use the C-SUR as a single channel speaker. The jumpers can be removed to use each woofer/tweeter pair as separate channels (for example - Surround & Surround Back).
Dog-Ear Mounting System: Specially developed heavy-duty dog-ears (eight total) are secure and really quick to install. Using the tried and true dog-ear mounting system makes for a familiar and trouble-free installation. A cutout template is also included to help you install the in-wall speaker.
- Cutout Dimension: 13.1875" (w) x 13.1875" (h)
- Mounting Depth: 8" (including drywall)
- Mounting Height: 0.3125"
- Speaker Frame Dimension: 14.6875" (w) x 14.6875" (h)
- Grille Frame Dimension: 14.8125" (w) x 14.8125" (h)
Paintable Magnetic Grille: The magnetically detachable grille is powder coated in white and can be painted to match any décor. The grille also includes a scrim that makes the grille visually opaque so the drivers are not visible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
For the in-ceiling installation, you would want the middle seam of the speaker to be perpendicular to your TV screen. I hope that helps! My Bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Feb 23, 2017 ] Staff