Stereo dual-source power amplifier
Item # 543P125 | MFR # 2800-536274
Price Break: -$70.00
$429.99 Earn up to 430 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Russound P125 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Power for speakers and automatic source switching
Today's networked audio players, music streaming services, and remote control apps for smartphones and tablets have radically changed the way we experience music at home. You still need good clean power to drive your speakers, but you probably don't need a traditional receiver with a lot of buttons to push. Maybe all you really need is a smartly automated amp like the Russound P125.
Connect one music component as your primary source, and it will activate the amplifier when it sends out an audio signal. The amplifier returns to standby mode when the audio signal ceases. Your secondary audio source takes over automatically when there's no signal coming from the primary source. There's no need to manually switch inputs.
Say you have a network audio player, such as a Sonos CONNECT connected to the primary input. Any time you fire up the CONNECT, your P125 turns itself on and feeds the music to your speakers. Because the P125 has two sets of speaker outputs, you could be listening in the den, the kitchen or wherever you chose to install your speakers. Because you control the CONNECT with a wireless controller or smartphone app, it doesn't matter where you put it. The CONNECT and the P125 could be out of sight in a utility closet or cabinet.
You might connect an old-school music source like a CD player to the secondary input, and enjoy it whenever you're not using your CONNECT. When a CD stops playing, the P125 will automatically switch to standby mode.
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms or 125 watts into 4 ohms
- 250 watts when bridged into a single 8-ohm load
- volume and balance controls
- A/B speaker switching
- primary and secondary audio line inputs with automatic source switching
- selectable speaker-level input for upgrading power in an audio zone or for integrating a "local" source into a zone
- loop output on the secondary line input passes that audio signal on to another amp, giving you flexibility in designing a multi-room system
- 12-volt trigger input and output for sequenced activation of various components in your system
- 16-5/8"W x 4-1/16"H x 15-13/16"D
- 25.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2-Channel/2-Source amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Installation Manual
Russound P125 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||80|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||125|
|Bridged Power per Channel||125 watts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
Dual Source Power Amplifier: The Russound P125 is a two-channel, dual source power amplifier with auto-source switching. It features Primary and Secondary audio line inputs with a loop out to another zone, receiver, or device from the secondary source. A speaker-level input can be connected and assigned as either the primary or secondary source. This amplifier can be used for power upgrades in zones for large speaker selector or volume control systems.
Stereo or Bridged Amplification: The P125 is rated at 125 watts per channel into 4-ohms, and 80 watts into 8-ohms. With the Stereo/Bridge Mono switch in the Bridge Mono position, both amplifier channels are combined for a higher powered mono output. In Bridge mode the P125 is rated at 250 watts of power into a single 8-ohm load.
Dual Source w/ Auto-Switching: The P125 has dual source capability. If two sources are used, connect the source you want to take temporary priority to the Primary input and the other constant source to the Secondary input. Whenever the primary source becomes active, that signal will take priority over the distributed audio signal on the secondary line. The signal is still active on the secondary line but will not be heard, and once the primary audio signal is muted or turned off the amplifier will automatically switch back to the secondary audio signal. You can adjust the delay time(3s-15s) to determine the length of time it takes to switch back to the secondary signal.
Front-Panel & Rear-Panel Controls: On the front-panel of the P125 are Power, Speaker A/B, Volume, and Tone controls. On the rear-panel are Stereo/Bridge, and Auto/Trigger/Normal controls.
- Power On/Off +Auto On: The P125 amplifier can be turned on manually or automatically by setting a switch on the back panel. For manual power on or off , press the Power button on the front-panel. For automatic power on, set the switch to Auto On, and place the front-panel power button in the "On" position. When music is sensed on either input RCA connector, the amplifier's signal sensing sends a command for it to power on. Once the signal ends, the amplifier turns off in approximately 4 minutes. To turn the amplifier on remotely, set the switch to Trigger and connect a 3.5mm minijack cable from the device to the 12V Trigger In on the amplifier.
- Volume, Level, & Tone Controls: You can adjust the speaker output volume, as well as adjust speaker output balance between right and left channels. You can also adjust the the level of the right and left channels independently.
- Speaker A/B Switch: You can select speaker pair A (main) or speaker pair B (auxiliary) for audio output. You can use speakers A and B together, as long as the speakers are at a minimum 8-ohm impedance.
- Stereo/Bridge (Mono) Modes: In Stereo mode the amplifier sends separate power and audio signals to the left and right channels. In Bridge (Mono) mode both the left and right channels are combined for a higher power mono output; the minimum impedance for the total load connected to a pair of channels in the bridged mode is 8-ohms.
Stereo RCA Inputs/Outputs: The Russound P125 amplifier features two stereo analog RCA inputs (Line 1/Line 2) to connect up to two analog audio devices. There is also a stereo analog RCA output to send the amplifier's Line 2 input to another zone amplifier.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The P125 amplifier is fitted with eight binding post speaker terminals and can accommodate up to two pair of speakers. You can power "A" speaker only, "B" speaker only, or both "A & B" speakers. When driving a single pair of speakers the amplifier can handle 4-ohm speakers in Stereo mode, or a single 8-ohm speaker in Mono mode. When driving both "A & B" speakers the amplifier can handle a minimum of 8-ohm speakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (16-12AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Speaker Level Inputs: If you have a source that is only available as a speaker level signal, connect it to the Speaker Level Input terminals, using the binding post terminals and observing proper polarity. Only one set of speaker level inputs can be utilized and assigned by the selector switch. When using the Speaker Level Input, and it is switched to the Secondary position, the high-level signal will not pass to the Secondary Line RCA output.
12V Trigger Input/Output: The 12V Trigger In/Out allows the amplifier to be activated by other devices or to activate other electronics via a 3.5mm minijack cable, with 100mA current capability.
Protection Circuitry: The Russound P125 dual source power amplifier employs protection circuitry to safeguard against short circuits and over-heating.
- Short Circuit Protection: Special circuitry has been designed into the amplifier to safeguard under a short-circuit condition. A faulty speaker can also cause a short circuit condition. If this fault condition occurs, turn off the amplifier and check speakers for short circuit conditions when appropriate.
- Thermal Protection: The P125 amplifier is designed with special circuitry to safeguard the amplifier under a thermal overload condition. Thermal protection mode will only engage when the unit has been run at high volume for extended periods of time without adequate ventilation and/or when speaker impedances are below the minimum levels for the amplifier. In thermal protection mode the amplifier will automatically stop output. If this fault condition occurs, turn off the amplifier.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
To increase power and to add speakers [ Jeffrey Jun 30, 2018 ]
to replace a Russound x125 that was damaged by a power surge. [ Anthony May 29, 2018 ]
Quality product that integrates with my current system. [ Howard May 13, 2018 ]
Bought the sound block to connect my 8 in-wall speakers to this amp and pairing it with a Sonos Connect to add my in-wall speakers to my wireless Sonos network! [ Steven Jul 30, 2017 ]
Was advised by two different crutchfield advisors that they would be perfect for my pair of Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73. [ Reza Jan 26, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
A surge protector is a great solution to keep your stereo equipment protected, and we have several options available that'd work with the Russound P125. In order to find the best option suited to your system and/or budget, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. They'll be happy to go over the different models to help you make the best decision. Thanks! :) [ Larry Apr 09, 2018 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Stereo dual-source power amplifier
Stereo dual-source power amplifier
Digital stereo multi-source power amplifier
Stereo power amplifier