Klipsch R-12SWi Reference
Wireless powered subwoofer
Item # 714R12SWI | MFR # 1063515
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Klipsch R-12SWi Reference by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
The wireless transmitter plugs into your receiver's sub output, and sends high-quality bass across the room.
Thunderous bass made easy
Klipsch knows how much fun it is to have your own home theater. They also know that running a long cable from your receiver to your sub can be challenging. So they've equipped the R-12SWi with wireless signal transmission — this power-packed sub can deliver room-shaking bass anywhere you have a power outlet.
How it works
This sub's "secret sauce" is how Klipsch transmits low-frequency effects. The included wireless transmitter plugs into the sub output on the back of your receiver (sometimes labeled LFE). Simply plug the transmitter and the sub into an A/C power source and you're ready to rock.
Wireless signal transmission offers flexible placement
There are two huge benefits to using a wireless subwoofer. Not having to snake a long sub cable across the floor keeps kids, pets, and gear safe. And having placement flexibility for your sub can significantly improve your system's bass response. We recommend trying your sub out in a few different spots around the room to see where you get the best performance.
Want some tips on getting the best bass in your room? Check out our subwoofer setup guide.
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- 200-watt RMS (400-watts peak) amplifier
- 12" high-excursion IMG (Injection Molded Graphite) front-firing woofer
- receives high-quality audio signals wirelessly
- pre-paired 2.4 GHz wireless transmitter included for connection to your receiver
- frequency response 29-120 Hz (±3dB)
- MDF enclosure with brushed black polymer veneer finish
- variable low-pass crossover control
- phase switch to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers
- auto on/off
- RCA line level/LFE (low frequency effects) input
- 14-1/16"W x 16-9/16"H x 21-1/8"D
- weight: 33 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 2 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered sub
- Wireless transmitter (attached 12" RCA cable)
- AC power adapter (attached 59" microUSB cable)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owners Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
Outstanding sound..Huge and clear bass
david, Cornelia GA
Klipsch R-12SWi Reference Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Copper IMG|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||200|
|Frequency Response||29-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Wireless Receiver & Transmitter: The Klipsch Reference series R-12SWi powered sub features a built-in wireless receiver and comes with an external wireless transmitter that plugs into your AV receiver's LFE output. Thanks to this 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, your receiver can now send its LFE audio signal to the R-12SWi powered sub wirelessly (no subwoofer cable required between receiver and sub). Wireless range is approximately 30' at CD-quality level.
Note: Both, the powered sub & wireless transmitter will require AC power.
12" Woofer: The Klipsch Reference series R-12SWi powered sub is fitted with a powerful 12" copper-spun IMG (injected molded graphite) front-firing woofer for deep bass. The copper-spun IMG woofer is exceptionally light while being extremely rigid, providing remarkable low frequency response with minimal cone breakup and distortion. The front-firing woofer gives you greater placement flexibility than a down-firing woofer.
200 Watt Amp: The Klipsch R-12SWi powered sub employs an all-digital 200 watt RMS (400 watt Peak) amplifier for high efficiency and dynamic bass performance.
MDF Cabinet: The R-12SWi is housed in a durable MDF cabinet and finished with a brushed black polymer veneer. The MDF enclosure is rigid and protects against unwanted vibration and distortion.
Rear Firing Port: The R-12SWi's enclosure uses a bass reflex design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass.
Controls: The level control, low pass crossover, and phase control allow you to blend the powered subwoofer's low-frequency tones with your system's other speakers, as well as establish the ideal level of bass.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Klipsch powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: The variable lowpass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Klipsch powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Control: This control is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0˚ or 180˚ in which your subwoofer has more output at the listening position.
LFE/RCA Inputs: If you prefer a hardwired connection, the Klipsch R-12SWi powered subwoofer is also equipped with a pair of line-level RCA-type inputs to connect the sub to your receiver or integrated amplifier.
- LFE Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's line-level input labeled "LEFT/LFE". Set the powered sub's built-in crossover to "LFE" with this type of connection.
- Stereo Input: In absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel pre-amp outputs from the receiver to both the "Left/LFE" and "Right" inputs on the powered subwoofer.
LED Indicator: The front-mounted LED power indicator lets you know when the sub is powered on or off. The LED will light green when the powered subwoofer is on and receiving a signal. If the LED is dark and not lit, the powered sub is off.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 15-20 minutes with no audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On or Off manually from the rear-switch on the back.
Placement: Klipsch powered subwoofers are designed to reproduce deep bass and deliver the impact that makes your movies and music come alive. For optimum performance, place your subwoofer in a corner of the room on the same wall as your front channel speakers. Please note that room placement can have a dramatic effect on the performance of your powered subwoofer. Corner placement, as suggested above, will increase the amount of bass output, while placing the subwoofer along the middle of a wall, or out in the room will decrease the amount of bass output.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
good previous experiences with Klipsch and Crutchfield [ Fred R. Mar 10, 2017 ]
I needed a mid range wireless sub. I have experience in Crutchfield honor quick resolution of replacing defective gear. The return policy clinched it for me. If I don't like the response of the subwoofer, I'll return it. [ Joe Feb 25, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
I'm afraid not--the Klipsch R-20B soundbar system doesn't feature a subwoofer output to use a separate sub (other than the one it came with originally). For more details or to discuss further, please contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Nov 21, 2017 ] Staff