USB 2.0 and iPad® recording interface
Our take on the Steinberg UR12 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Free those song ideas from your mind
You've had the ideas bouncing around in your head for weeks or months. It's time to unleash them and turn them into real songs. The Steinberg UR12 is an easy, cost-effective way to produce high-quality recordings on your computer or iPad®. There's an XLR input for a microphone, which uses Yamaha's D-PRE mic preamp — known for producing sound that's warm and clean. There's also a 1/4" instrument input for plugging in your electric guitar or bass. Hook up your headphones to monitor your input signals directly, for zero-latency recording. You can also use the RCA outputs to mix through powered speakers or your home stereo.
Connect a microphone and a guitar to the UR12 interface to record using your computer or iPad.
Go beyond your desktop
You can set up the UR12 as part of a desktop system, but it's also easy to take with you. It's small enough to bring along to a bandmate's house for a rehearsal or jamming. Plus, the full-metal chassis gives it durability. This USB-powered interface doesn't need an external power supply when used with a computer. But when you're recording on your iPad, there's a power port on the back for connecting an AC or USB power adapter (sold separately).
Includes Cubase AI recording software
The UR12 is compatible with lots of different recording software, for your Mac® or PC as well as iOS® apps on the iPad. Not sure which one to use? Try Cubase AI, developed by Steinberg and included with this interface. It gives you everything you need to start producing songs. There's also an iPad version, Cubasis, available for sale in the iTunes® store.
- 2-input, 2-output computer audio interface
- Yamaha D-PRE discrete Class A mic preamp with 48V phantom power offers warm, clean sound even at high input levels
- "high-Z" input for direct connection of an electric guitar or bass
- iPad compatible (requires Lightning to USB adapter or Apple Camera Connection Kit)
- includes Cubase AI digital recording software
- compact, full-metal casing is ideal for portable use
- XLR input for use with microphones
- "high-Z" instrument input for electric guitars and basses
- RCA line outputs for connecting to a home stereo or powered speakers
- 1/4" headphone output with volume control knob
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
- 24-bit analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion with sampling rates of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz
- Direct Monitor button allows you to monitor input signals for zero latency
- peak indicators for both input channels
- powered by your computer via USB
- rear port for USB power adapter (required for use with iPad)
- system requirements: USB 2.0 port; Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later; Intel or AMD dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 4GB of free hard drive space, CD-ROM drive or Internet connection for software installation; iPad 2 or higher with iOS 6 or higher
- 6-1/4"W x 1-13/16"H x 5-11/16"D
- weight: 1.87 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- USB audio interface
- USB cable
- Installation CD-ROM
- "Getting Started" booklet
- CUBASE AI Download Information
192kHz/24-Bit: The UR12 includes first-rate A/D and D/A converters that provide supreme sonic fidelity. With a maximum sampling rate of 192 kHz and a resolution of 24 bits, you are more than ready to deliver future-proof music productions.
Rugged Chassis: Built to the most exacting standards by Yamaha's experienced engineers, the UR12's full-metal chassis is reassuringly solid.
D-PRE Mic Preamp: The microphone preamp is one of the key factors in recording, and that's why the UR12 interface is equipped with a stellar-sounding D-PRE. This preamp is the culmination of years of development by the experts at Yamaha. The result is a truly transparent and beautifully detailed sound that is unrivaled in this class. Whether you're looking to record acoustic instruments, vocals, an electric guitar or ambient textures, with the UR12 you can easily capture any audio source.
- Darlington Circuitry: D-PRE Mic Preamps sound stunning, and the difference is in the design. Usually, preamps use one transistor each for the hot and cold signals at the input stage to amplify the signal. However, the D-PREs specified on Steinberg audio interfaces use an inverted Darlington circuit, where two transistors are used for each hot and cold - a total of four per unit. With only one transistor on a preamp circuit, distortion tends to increase along with the signal level. By using a pair of two cascaded transistors, very low distortion can be maintained regardless of signal level.
- Wide Frequency Range: D-PRE has a very wide frequency range so that it can handle any music source and it does not overly amplify any specific components of the signal. It's beautifully tuned to be able to capture the true expression of a given performance or audio source, while leaving flexibility for later editing. The end result is that D-PRE provides a sound that is a perfect amalgamation of understated signal enhancement combined with impeccable sonic integrity. The development team took a lot of time to adjust this subtle balance and the D-PRE sound quality speaks for itself.
Hi-Z Instrument Jack: The UR12 features a Hi-Z instrument jack (1/4") for connecting instruments with a high output impedance, such as electric guitars and basses. Use a phone-type (unbalanced) cable for connection.
Line & Headphone Outputs: There is a 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones and stereo RCA outputs to connect a set of monitor speakers so you can monitor your sound.
Cubase AI Software: The UR12 is compatible with all major audio editing, mastering and music production software supporting the ASIO, Core Audio or WDM standard. The UR12 also includes a special version of Cubase, Cubase AI, to offer a complete production environment in one package. And Cubase users also benefit from the auto-setup functionality which handles configuration of input and output channels and buses from within Cubase for a uniquely integrated music production environment
CC Mode + iPad Connectivity: The UR12 also offers connectivity with Apple's iPad. When paired with Steinberg's Cubasis music app or other iOS audio apps, the UR12 offers a portable and intuitive production experience. Combining the UR12 with an iOS audio application like Steinberg's Cubasis gives you a remarkably intuitive music production experience. If you're running your UR12 with an iPad, just add a portable USB battery or any standard USB power supply to provide the interface with the required current.
Latency-Free Hardware Monitoring: The UR12 features latency-free hardware monitoring with an easy-to-use monitor source switch that allows you to choose between the direct signal and the output of your host application.
Loopback Function: UR12 offers an easy way to streaming performances live to the internet, with incoming audio signals merged to the playback signal from Cubase or other DAWs inside the computer.
Applications: The UR12 USB audio interface is the ideal choice for a variety of applications.
- Newcomers To Music Production: The UR12 is the ideal interface for newcomers to digital music production, looking to record their first tracks and explore a new world of writing, recording and mixing music on their computer. Offering all the I/O needed to record vocals and guitars in outstanding quality, the UR12 also includes a streamlined and upgradable version of Cubase, Steinberg's legendary music production system. Available at a price point that will appeal directly to musicians making their first foray into making music on a computer, the UR12 is nevertheless built to exacting standards of quality, with first-class preamps and rugged metal casing that is made to last.
- Pro Musicians On Tour: Professional musicians on tour requiring an ultra-compact interface that makes no compromises in terms of either build or recording quality need look no further. The UR12 offers the outstanding D-PRE preamp, a Hi-Z input for connecting electric guitars and basses and a headphones output for monitoring on a plane, tour bus or in a hotel room. Its small size means that it will easily fit into your hand luggage, while the rugged metal case means that it is designed to deal with life on the road.
- Live Streaming Of Audio To The Internet: The UR12's loopback function lets you broadcast your audio production live via the internet! Combine your live microphone signal feeding into the UR12's mic input with the audio coming from, say, a recording of a college lecture and stream both live to the web. Or add a live voiceover to a music backing track, with both signals merged and looped back to your internet broadcasting software.
- Recording Of Friends & Family: Creating recordings of those once-in-a-lifetime moments you share with the people around you can be so rewarding. And what a difference it can make if your child's first faltering words are recorded at the poor sound quality offered by mobile phones or dictation devices but in sumptuous 24-bit/192 kHz resolution. The UR12 has everything you need to build a personal recording station in your own home, with a first-class microphone preamp and an easy-to-use program based on professional production software used by recording engineers around the world.
System Requirements: The minimum system requirements state the minimal specification your computer must have to be able to use the software.
|Windows XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1||Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / 10.6.4 / 10.7 / 10.8|
|Intel or AMD dual core CPU||Intel dual core CPU|
|4GB of free HD space|
|Display resolution of 1280 x 800 recommended|
|DVD-ROM dual-layer drive|
|USB 2.0/3.0 port|
|Internet connection required for installation, activation, account setup and personal / product registration. To complete the Cubase AI installation, a download of approximately 500 MB is required|
Note: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software program required when connecting the UR12 to a computer. Make sure to install it before initially using the device. Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software
USB Power: Simply connect the UR12 via USB to your computer and start making music without any additional power supply.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
called crutchfield expert (800number) told them my need for a gift and this was recommend - thanks Cory!! [ Kathleen Dec 10, 2015 ]