DJI Zenmuse X5R
Mirrorless camera with lens, gimbal, and internal SSD
Our take on the DJI Zenmuse X5R by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A removable 512GB SSD (solid-state drive) gives you plenty of storage space for RAW files taken with the Zenmuse X5R.
Sharp, detailed aerial photography without compromise
DJI calls the Zenmuse X5R the "world's first Micro Four Thirds aerial camera capable of recording lossless 4K videos in RAW." That means incredibly sharp, professional-quality 4K footage, from a camera that's light enough to be whisked into the sky by a small, agile drone. It also shoots superbly detailed still photos. The X5R comes with a detachable 15mm lens and a gimbal that stabilizes the camera during flight.
Packed with pro features
The X5R is compatible with a number of interchangeable lenses, and is capable of up to 12.8 stops of dynamic range, so you can shoot in just about any type of light. You can freeze action with shutter speeds down to 1/8000th of a second, or capture up to 7 full-resolution still photos per second in burst mode. There's a very intuitive auto-focus mode that lets you focus on a specific area by simply tapping on the screen of your mobile device.
Internal solid state drive
RAW files take up a lot more space than lossy compressed formats. Fortunately, the Zenmuse X5R has a built-in solid state drive with 512GB of storage. You'll capture every detail so you have all of the information necessary to make effective, creative editing choices.
- mirrorless, compact Micro Four Thirds camera and gimbal for aerial photography and cinematography
- compatible with the DJI Inspire 1 and Matrice 100
- removable 512GB internal solid-state drive (SSD) provides ample storage
- takes sharp, clear 16-megapixel still photos
- 4K RAW video at up to 30fps
- sensitive 4/3" CMOS image sensor
- 12.8 stops of dynamic range for sharp images in high- and low-light environments
- ISO range: 100-25600
- DJI 15mm lens included
- supports optional interchangeable lenses
- up to 7 frames per second in burst mode
- shutter speed: 8 to 1/8000 sec.
- tap on the screen of your mobile device to activate intuitive auto-focus mode
- control shutter speed, white balance, and aperture via free DJI Go phone app
- also records to optional MicroSD memory card (maximum capacity of 64 GB)
- 72° field of view
- 4-3/4"W x 5-5/16"H x 5-1/2"D
- weight: 18.55 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Gimbal-mount camera body
- Camera lens (installed)
- 512GB SSD
- SSD reader
- 16GB microSD card (installed)
- 16" USB 3.0 cable
- Lens hood (installed)
- Balancing ring (installed)
- Rubber ring (installed)
- Front lens cap
- Back lens cap
- Body cap
- Foam pad
- 6 Rubber shock absorbers
- Storage case
- "In the Box" note
- Disclaimer & Safety Guidelines
- Declaration of Conformity
Micro Four Thirds Aerial Camera: The Zenmuse X5R is the world's first Micro Four Thirds aerial camera capable of recording lossless 4K videos in RAW. With a frame rate of up to 30fps and 1.7Gbps average bitrate (2.4Gbps maximum bitrate), the X5R empowers you to capture breathtaking professional-level footage every time. Packed with a powerful MFT sensor, the camera also takes 16MP images with stunning details, while the integrated 3-axis stabilization gimbal keeps the camera level.
DJI Inspire 1 Compatible: To create the first fully integrated, professional aerial imaging system, the Zenmuse X5R was engineered and designed from the very beginning to be perfectly compatible with the Inspire 1 (sold separately), DJI's most advanced quadcopter. With 360 degree camera movement and dual controller support, the Inspire 1 is the favorite ready-to-fly aerial platform for enthusiasts and professionals worldwide. Now, with a simple installation procedure, you can upgrade the camera on your Inspire 1 to the Zenmuse X5R, vastly increasing its imaging capabilities while retaining its ease of use and reliability.
3-Axis Gimbal: Perfectly integrated with the camera, a 3-axis gimbal utilizes DJI's world-leading stabilization technology to automatically stabilize your camera in flight. This gimbal communicates constantly with the aircraft as you fly, and powerful brushless motors instantly respond to every minor movement to keep the camera level, even when capturing long exposure or time-lapse content. So focus on what you want to shoot, knowing that the resulting footage will be stable and ready to use. The gimbal can tilt the camera up to 120° and pan 320° in either direction, providing 640° of yaw rotation.
- Controllable Range: Pitch: -90° to +30°, Pan: ±320°
- Max Controllable Speed: Pitch: 120°/s, Pan: 180°/s
4K Video: With the Zenmuse X5R, DJI has brought the power of RAW to a dedicated aerial camera for the first time. Capable of recording 4K (3840 x 2160) videos in RAW at up to 30fps, the Zenmuse X5R gives you the ability to capture every video with all of its original data intact, giving you complete control to edit every single frame in post as a RAW file. Coupled with a maximum bitrate of an astonishing 2.4Gbps, the 4K videos recorded by the Zenmuse X5R will amaze you with a level of detail and clarity that's absolutely unmatched by any other aerial cam. Videos are recorded in MP4, MOV (MPEG-4/AVC/H.264F), or JPEG-Lossless (RAW) formats. There are two video recording modes -
- UHD (4K): 4096×2160 (24/25p), 3840×2160 (25/30p)
- FHD (1080p): 1920×1080 (24/25/30/48/50/60p)
16MP Photos: Thanks to its large MFT sensor, the Zenmuse X5R is capable of producing print-ready 16MP still frames with an incredible amount of details. With high quality, high sensitivity image recording capabilities, the Zenmuse X5R captures photographs, in both JPEG and RAW (DNG), that will meet the highest of standards. The extra pixels (25% increase over the original Inspire 1 camera) not only provide you with more detailed images, but also more room to work with in post-processing. P/S/A/M shooting modes are all available, providing you with the freedom to shoot the way you want. You can choose between 4 photography shooting modes -
- Shooting Modes: Single Shot (Normal), HDR (High Dynamic Range), Burst (take 3/5/7 shots in a row), Auto Exposure Bracketing (take 3/5 bracketed frames with +/- 0.7EV steps for exposure compensation), or Time-Lapse (take 5/7/10/20/30 second intervals).
- Exposure Modes: Auto (shutter speed/aperture set automatically), Shutter Priority (manually set shutter speed while camera automatically sets aperture), Aperture Priority (manually aperture while camera automatically sets shutter speed), or Manual (manually set shutter speed and aperture).
- Photo Styles: Standard (general purpose for most scenes), Landscape (focus on as much of scene as possible with large depth of field), or Soft (suitable for scenes with natural or soft colors), Custom (manually set sharpness/contrast/saturation).
- White Balance: Auto (auto white balance), Preset Modes (Sunny/Cloudy/Incandescent/Neon), or Custom (2000k-10000K).
- Color: D-Log, D-Cinelike, None, Art, B&W, Vivid, Beach, Dream, Classic, or Nostalgia
512GB SSD + microSD Card Slot: The Zenmuse X5R includes a 512GB SSD drive for storing lossless and uncompressed video footage (not photography). Captured photos and recorded videos can be stored on a microSD/SDHC memory card (Class 10 or UHS-1; up to 64GB). One 16GB microSD card is included.
- DJI Camera Exporter: Video files on the X5R's SSD can be exported with DJI Camera Exporter to a Windows PC (7/8/10). When you connect the XR5's SSD to your Windows PC via the SSD Reader & USB 3.0 cable, it will ask you to download the DJI Camera Exporter software.
- DJI CineLight Software: Video files on the X5R's SSD can be exported with DJI CineLight to a Mac computer (OS X 10.1-10.5, 10.11.4 or later). When you connect the XR5's SSD to your Mac computer via the SSD Reader & USB 3.0 cable, it will ask you to download the DJI CineLight software.
Interchangeable Lens Mount: As the world's first Micro Four Thirds camera made specifically for professional aerial photography and videography, the Zenmuse X5R gives you the freedom to choose your lens. By utilizing the standard MFT mount, the Zenmuse X5R is well positioned to benefit from new products and innovations from major lens manufacturers. Currently, a range of lenses are compatible with the Zenmuse X5R -
- DJI: MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH (requires a balancing weight)
- Panasonic: Lumix 15mm f/1.7 (requires a balancing weight)
- Olympus: M. ED 12mm f/2.0, M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 (requires a balancing weight), M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ (requires a balancing weight/photography only), Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 (photography only)
Notes: To ensure that the 3-axis gimbal's movements are unrestricted, the lenses are required to fit the gimbal in terms of weight and size. Not all existing MFT lenses fit these requirements, which is why not all MFT lenses are compatible with the Zenmuse X5R.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.