Wired remote control
Item # 158RMX4S | MFR # RMX4S
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony RM-X4S
Sony believes that turning up the bass should be as easy as signaling a right turn — meaning that you feel for the size, shape, or texture of the desired control and make the necessary adjustment, while your eyes stay focused on the road.
Sony extends the same theory of safe, ergonomic operation of the audio system with the RM-X4S wired remote. Most of the receiver's functions can be operated with the remote, and it's infinitely more intuitive than the controls on a typical receiver's front panel. If there's room, you can even mount it on your steering column for super-convenient access.
You'll find the RM-X4S listed as an optional accessory with many of the Sony receivers on this site.
I'm using this remote on a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. Since the HU is not Sony, I don't have all the functionality as I would if used on a Sony HU but it does what I need it to for the most part.
What's in the Box:
- Rotary commander with attached 6.5` cord with right angle stereo mini jack
- 8 Labels
- 1 Plastic wire tie
- 1 Screw
- 1 Mounting plate with self-adhesive tape
- Operating Instructions sheet (English/Spanish/French/Portuguese)
- Installation Instructions sheet (English/Spanish/French/Portuguese)
Sony RM-X4S Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Compatibility: This remote is compatible with most Sony head units with a wired remote input. The remote should be used only with units for which item number 158RMX4S appears as a listed accessory.
Dimensions: W=1-15/16", L=3-3/8", D=1-3/4"
Cable Length: The cable attached to the remote is 6.5' long, and it has a male mini stereo plug on the end. Per Sony, the cable can be extended up to 30' by purchasing an extension cable such as item number 04318315 (female stereo mini-jack to male stereo mini-jack).
Reversible Operating Direction: If needed, the operative direction of the rotary controls can be reversed by pressing the SEL button on the remote for 2 seconds while pressing on the VOL control on the remote. When the operating direction of the remote has been changed, you will receive an audible confirmation beep from the radio.
- Volume control
- SEEK/AMS control: during tape or CD/MD playback, performs the AMS and manual search functions; during radio or TV operation performs automatic (seek) and manual tuning functions
- Off button
- MODE button: selects CD or MD changers when several are connected and selects tuner bands
- ATT button: used to attenuate the output level of a head unit
- DSPL/LIST/FILE button:
- for head units with a SEL button and a DSPL button, operates as a DSPL (display) button
- for head units with a SEL button and a FILE button, operates as a FILE button
- for head units with a SOUND button and a LIST button, operates as a LIST button
- for head units with a SOUND button and a DSPL button, operates as a DSPL (display) button
- SEL/SOUND button: works as a SEL button for head units with a SEL button, and works as a SOUND button for head units that include a SOUND button
- Source button
- PRESET/DISC control: fast winds tapes, changes discs for CD/MD changers connected to a head unit, and selects station presets
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.