Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
Super telephoto prime lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Item # 054800MM | MFR # 2205
$16,299.95 Earn up to 16,300 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The phone rings...
Early morning. You're a well-regarded freelance photojournalist with a long client list and a brand-new, shiny Nikon AF-S 800mm telephoto lens. Suddenly your phone rings. It's your favorite wire service editor and he has three jobs for you. Job 1? The president's coming to town, but all the press passes are spoken for and you can't get in close. Job 2: There's a species of woodpecker that hasn't been sighted in over 40 years frequenting a stand of trees in one of your city's downtown parks. Your editor needs photographic evidence, and so do the ornithologists over at the University. And finally, Job 3: The sports division needs a shot of the pro team's quarterback during the next game, cocking his rifle arm for a long bomb. Your position, as usual, is deep in the end zone across the field.
The right tool for the job(s)
You must be psychic! Your newly purchased lens turns out to be the perfect one for all three jobs. With a long focal length of 800mm (1200mm equivalent on Nikon DX-format cameras) and a maximum aperture of f/5.6, there's not much that will escape the reach of this exquisitely crafted lens. An included teleconverter increases your reach by 1.25X, so your 800mm lens becomes a 1000mm lens, and your DX camera's equivalent focal length would increase from 1200 to 1500mm. Now that will cover some ground.
Nikon has you covered for picture quality. The exacting optics of this lens yield images that are crystal-clear and free of color fringing, ghosting, or flaring. And if you're taking fast photo bursts (as you will be in all three of the scenarios above), you'll be grateful for the 9-bladed electromagnetic diaphragm that responds much more reliably and consistently than the mechanical linkage levers used in lesser lenses. The results? They'll show up in your paycheck, because you'll have the right tool to bring home the bacon in every instance.
- AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR super telephoto lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- includes 1.25X TC800 teleconverter to increase telephoto magnification by 25%
- effective focal length:
- 800mm with full-frame (FX-format) digital or film cameras
- 1200mm with DX-format cameras
- effective focal length with included teleconverter:
- 1000mm with full-frame (FX-format) digital or film cameras
- 1500mm with DX-format cameras
- Pro-quality Nikkor lens features fluorite elements, extra-low dispersion elements, and proprietary Nano Crystal coatings for superior image sharpness and consistent color fidelity across the image
- Vibration Reduction allows sharply defined shots with exposure times up to 4 stops slower than non-stabilized shots
- electromagnetic diaphragm allows for consistent exposures during high-speed bursts
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for fast, silent autofocus
- autofocus can be overridden manually, with no time lag
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium-alloy design
- minimum focus distance: 19.36 feet
- lens construction: 20 elements in 13 groups
- accepts slip-in 52mm filters
- lens is 18-1/4" long, 6-5/16" in diameter
- weight: 10.08 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED
- monopod collar
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- 52mm screw-on NC (protective clear) filter
- lens strap
- trunk-style carrying case
What's in the Box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR telephoto lens
- Slip-on front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HK-38 Lens hood
- AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED
- 52mm Screw-on NC filter
- LN-2 Lens strap
- CT-801 Trunk case
- Monopod collar
- User's Manual
- 5 Years of Protection sheet (warranty + extended warranty form)
- (This "What's In The Box" data was pulled from the Nikon website and not from an actual inventory of box contents.)
I have used Nikon cameras and lenses for 30+ years. It's difficult to compare this lens to any other that I have used, including the 600mm f/4 VRII. Paired with the Nikon D4s (with or without its dedicated 1.25E TC), it's a dream lens for the wildlife/bird photographer.
BillA, Washington DC
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR lens is a high-quality super-telephoto lens that is the definitive lens for sports, news, and wildlife photography. It is designed for use with FX/35mm format cameras, but is compatible with DX-format cameras. It comes with a 1.25x teleconverter to give you the equivalent of a 1000mm lens. On a DX-format camera, the equivalent focal length is 1200mm, and 1500mm with the 1.25x teleconverter.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare, by enhancing light transmission.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Vibration Reduction (VR): The lens is equipped with Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) technology, which reduces blur caused by camera shake. When VR is enabled, the range of available shutter speeds is increased (including speeds up to 4.0 stops slower than those without VR), and permits hand-held, tripod-free photography in a wide range of situations. You can enable Vibration Reduction by using the 3-way VR switch, and choose between Normal VR, Active VR, and Off.
Internal Focus: Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens includes a 3-way Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens. In the M/A position, Auto Focus can be over-ridden by rotating the focus ring to focus manually. In the A/M (Auto-Priority Manual) position, the sensitivity of the focus ring has been altered (requiring farther rotation) to reduce the possibility of accidental changes to focus due to unintentional operation of the focus ring. The M position allows for full manual focusing.
Focus Limit Switch: With the Focus Limit Switch, you can determine the focus distance limits for auto focus. If shooting subjects at close range (19.69' to 32.81'), the switch should be set to Full. However, if your subject will always be at a distance greater than 32.81', you can obtain faster focusing by setting the switch to "∞-10m."
Lens Construction: The AF-S Nikkor 800mm lens combines advanced NIKKOR optics and lens technology with a dust- and water-resistant magnesium alloy body. Optically, the lens has 20 elements in 13 groups, including 2 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) lens elements for maximum sharpness and minimum chromatic aberrations, 2 Fluorite elements (lightweight optical material), lens elements with Nano-Crystal coatings and 1 protective glass element.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for highly accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. The lens has a 9-blade, rounded diaphragm that produces outstanding bokeh.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 800mm
- Filter Diameter: 52mm (slip-in type)
- Closest Focus Distance: 19.36'
- Focusing Method: Internal focusing (RF) system, AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/5.6 to f/32
- Aperture: 9-blade, rounded
- Focus Distance Indicator: 5.9m to infinity (∞)
- Lens Construction: 20 elements in 13 groups (including 2 ED lens elements, 2 fluorite elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal coatings and 1 protective glass element.)
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 3° 10'
- DX Format: 2°
- Dimensions: Diameter=6.3", Length=18.2"
- Weight: approximately 10.1 pounds
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.