TP-Link Deco M5
Expandable dual-band mesh Wi-Fi® router
Our take on the TP-Link Deco M5 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The free Deco app offers advanced control over your TP-Link Deco M5 router.
A great router that's ready for future expansion
A single TP-Link Deco M5 router is all you need for an apartment or small house — it puts out enough strong, fast Wi-Fi to cover up to 1,500 square feet, and it looks good while doing so. It's also expandable. If you need more coverage in the future, add more modules (not included) to create a seamless mesh network that covers your entire home.
Convenient app and free anti-virus protection
Installation takes just minutes, and the free Deco app for Android and Apple devices makes managing connected devices simple and intuitive.
The app has some advanced features you'll love, too. Quality of Service (QoS) protocols help direct traffic so you get a strong signal to each device that connects. There's built-in anti-virus protection for 3 years, and you'll get a monthly usage report that shows blocked content and security threats. If you have younger children in the house, you'll find plenty of parental control options.
Make connections to the router
Dual Ethernet ports on the router allow you to directly connect to devices that need a lot of bandwidth — think high-res music players, 4K smart TVs, movie and TV streaming boxes, and video game consoles.
- covers up to 1,500 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi
- 802.11ac simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi (400 Mbps + 867 Mbps)
- expandable: add more modules (up to a total of 10) to create a seamless mesh Wi-Fi network
- speedy quad-core processor and four internal antennas
- easy setup and control via free Deco app for Apple® and Android™
- QoS (quality of service) helps prioritize devices for faster performance
- automatically finds the optimum data path for each of your devices
- robust parental control options
- 3-year antivirus protection built in
- monthly usage report shows blocked content and security threats
- dual auto-sensing Gigabit ports for WAN and/or LAN connectivity
- one USB-C port to connect to power
- compatible with IPv6 Internet Protocol
- 4-3/4" diameter x 1-1/2" high
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- WiFi mesh router
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- 47" Ethernet cable
- Specifications note
- GNU General Public License Notice
Deco Mesh WiFi Router: Average routers are designed to send WiFi in all directions, but don't always reach every room; while range extenders improve coverage, but create multiple networks for you to navigate. TP-Links Deco system creates seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home using 1 to 10 Deco M5 mesh routers. One Deco mesh WiFi router works independently to cover up to 1500 sq/ft, while the 3-pack Deco mesh WiFi router kit (sold separately) works together to deliver up to 4,500 sq/ft. For even more coverage, you can use up to 10 Deco units (624DM51PK, sold separately) on a single WiFi network.
Quad-Core CPU: The TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi System utilizes a quad-core CPU for fast transmission speeds, support for more devices, and the ability to handle high-speed applications - all at the same time. The Deco's four internal omni-directional antennas send robust WiFi across your home.
WiFi Technologies: The TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi System incorporates 4 internal omni-directional antennas and advanced WiFi technologies - like simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz/5GHz), 802.11ac, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, & ART that send a robust WiFi mesh signal across your home.
- Simultaneous Dual Band: Deco operates over both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, ensuring great wireless performance. Simultaneous Dual Band offers you the flexibility of two dedicated networks, with multiple times the bandwidth for your needs. Simple tasks like sending e-mails or web browsing can be handled by the 2.4GHz band, while bandwidth intensive tasks like online gaming or HD video streaming can be processed by the 5GHz band - all at the same time.
- 802.11ac: Deco comes with the next generation WiFi standard, 802.11ac, which is 3x faster than wireless-N speeds and delivers a combined wireless data transfer rate of up to 1.3Gbps. With 867Mbps wireless speeds over the crystal clear 5GHz band and 400Mbps over the 2.4GHz band, Deco is a great choice for seamless HD streaming, online gaming and other bandwidth-intensive tasks.
- MU-MIMO: MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) is the latest advancement towards uninterrupted, simultaneous WiFi connections. Devices such as 4K TVs, HD streaming media players, tablets, game consoles, and many more use a lot of bandwidth, and with MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) technology, the Deco system sends WiFi to multiple devices at the same time and same speed. Your whole family can play, stream, and work at once, without experiencing lag or buffering - at up to 2x the speed of a non-MU-MIMO router.
- Beamforming: Beamforming technology helps improve the quality of voice, streaming of video and other bandwidth and latency sensitive transmissions. Beamforming will direct WiFi signals to each of your mobile devices to increase signal strength and coverage. Play video games, listen to music, check emails, shop online, stream HD movies, and more, without having to worry about dropped signals.
- ART (Adaptive Routing Technology): TP-Link's Deco uses ART (Adaptive Routing Technology) to deliver the fastest WiFi possible to each device. As more devices connect to your network, Deco balances the demand by finding the best path to send information across your home. With Deco and ART working together, you're free to move from room to room as you stream, game, download and browse - all on one seamless WiFi connection.
HomeCare 3-in-1: Deco includes three separate features in one device - including seamless coverage, antivirus, & parental controls. Not only do you get strong WiFi in every room of your home, you also get the most secure whole-home WiFi with HomeCare protecting every device on your network. TP-Link HomeCare powered by TrendMicro is included for 3 years from date of activation at no additional cost (deactivation of HomeCare will disable certain parental controls and security protections).
- QoS (Quality of Service): Choose which devices or activities you
want Deco to prioritize with Quality of Service (QoS). From the Deco app,
you can make sure your laptop or streaming movie is first in line for WiFi
or Ethernet. With QoS, you can assign bandwidth to the devices you use most,
keeping them running their best. Simple controls let you prioritize
bandwidth for streaming, gaming, surfing or video chatting.
- Application Priority: Optimize your network by assigning priority for favorite activities like gaming, streaming, chatting and surfing-enjoy what you love without lagging.
- Device Priority: Choose which devices always have the fastest connections, or set a schedule to assign device priority for different times of the day.
- Antivirus: HomeCare provides malicious content filtering and
intrusion prevention for your home network, as well as quarantine
functionality of infected devices. An active database protects every
connected device from over 250 million threats. Keep your devices and
personal information protected from unwanted access with HomeCare.
- Malicious Site Blocking: When new malicious URLs go live, HomeCare blocks them within 15 minutes, protecting you and your family by automatically preventing access.
- Intrusion Preventions System: HomeCare protects your WiFi devices, such as routers, computers, smartphones, WiFi cameras and smart locks, from more than 100,000 new threats each day with an active Intrusion Prevention System.
- Infected Device Quarantine: HomeCare automatically quarantines infected devices it detects on your network, keeping your personal information safe and preventing the spread of viruses to other devices.
- Parental Controls: Deco's HomeCare keeps your family safe while
online. Whether you want to block websites, set time limits, see which sites
your kids are using or pause the internet, you can with Deco. Simple,
intuitive parental controls make it easy to keep your children safe while
- User Profiles: Easily create a profile for each family member and set custom time limits and online time allowances. Assign devices to profiles so rules extend to individual devices as well as family members.
- Filter Levels: Keep your family safe online with one-touch security settings that block content based on age-appropriateness.
- Time Limits: Set limits on how much time each person in your family can spend online.
- Insights: With Insights, you can check out which sites your children visit and how much time they spend on each. It's a great way to know your children are safe while they're having fun online.
Deco App: The Deco app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.3+) allows you to quickly and easily install and manage the Deco Whole-Home WiFi System from your compatible mobile device. Now, you can monitor your home WiFi from anywhere, and make changes right from your smartphone or tablet. After you successfully set up your Deco network, you will see the dashboard of the Deco app. Here you can view the working status of the Deco system, test the internet speed, check the connected devices, and manage your network.
- Included Features: Features include easy setup, antivirus security, parental controls, monthly reporting, QoS (activity & device), guest network, remote network management, speed test, and automatic updates.
- Remote Management: Manage the following from the app - sharing your guest network & visitors, viewing which devices are connected to your WiFi, running network performance tests, restricting access to websites of your choosing, setting a time restriction and pause the WiFi on kids' devices, controlling when certain devices have WiFi access, picking which activities and devices get WiFi priority, and adding a family member as a network manager to help you monitor your network.
Alexa & IFTTT Compatible: The TP-Link Deco works with Alexa for voice control and IFTTT for smart home customization, using an Alexa-enabled device (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) - all sold separately. Add new devices to your network, prioritize devices and activities, share the guest WiFi password and more with Amazon Alexa and your voice. You can also trigger actions when devices are connecting, disconnecting or being added to your network, as well as set triggers to prioritize a device or an activity with anything that works with IFTTT. Click here for a list of Amazon Alexa skills.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The Deco mesh WiFi router has two auto-detecting Ethernet Gigabit ports. One of the ports connects directly to the modem via Ethernet, while the other port provides a hardwire connection to devices like an Ethernet switch, printer, or video game console.
IPv4 & iPv6 Supported: The Archer C5400 supports both IPv4 and IPv6. iPv6 is the next generation of Internet protocol, helping you to future-proof your network.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.