CD/MP3 Receiver with Ai-NET CD Changer Controls
Our take on the Alpine CDA-7894 by Crutchfield's Charlie Pastorfield
Turbocharge your MP3s with V-Drive high power! Alpine put their most potent MOSFET60 hybrid amp into the CDA-7894 CD receiver, so your music will have the punch and clarity it deserves.
The CDA-7894 plays MP3 files burned onto CD-Rs and CD-RWs as well as standard discs, so you can bring your Internet favorites along. It'll decode and display MP3 text info (ID-3 tags) plus CD Text on its bright readout. Plus, the faceplate buttons can be illuminated green or amber, so you can match your vehicle's dash lighting.
If all that V-Drive power just isn't enough, use the super-clean 4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs to add Alpine Bass Engine component amps and subs. And when you order a receiver/CD changer combo, you'll save $$ with our package discount. A wireless remote is included.
Important Note: The powerful output of Alpine's V-Drive internal amplifier requires a direct fused connection to your vehicle's battery! We recommend that you purchase a 10-gauge amp wiring kit with this receiver (see "Featured Accessories," at right).Details:
- motorized, detachable face
- switchable green/amber button illumination
- blackout display mode turns off display, reduces power consumption, and enhances sound quality
- MaxTune SQ tuner
- 18 presets
- V-Drive hybrid MOSFET60 internal amp high-current draw requires direct fused connection to your battery (see "Wiring Note" in the Detailed Info section)
- plays MP3 files on CD-R or CD-RW plus audio CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- Bass Engine® Plus (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments, as well as 4-channel digital time alignment and a 3-position, 12 dB/octave crossover)
- Media Xpander
- XM Satellite Radio controls (XM Radio subscription, tuner, antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal.) service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
- CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only add an Alpine changer to your receiver order, and save $$ with Crutchfield's package discount
- optional auxiliary input
- 4-volt front/rear/subwoofer preamp outputs
- wireless remote
- 27 watts RMS/60 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
- FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
- 1-year warranty
alpine 7894 is the best stereo ive ever owned, and ive gone threw alot of stereos, it has alot of functions, each speaker adjustment. great sound quility. it is a good head unit. which i wish i could find one around the same quility.
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver
- Hard face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness with in-line noise filter and fuse/fuse holder
- RUE-4187 Wireless remote
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- 1 Face security screw (not for use with this unit)
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Customer Care Registration card
- "Note" sheet (includes manual corrections and additional information)
Alpine CDA-7894 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||NA|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||27 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||60 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green or Amber|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Motorized Detachable Faceplate: The detachable faceplate is motorized for convenient access to the CD slot.
Selectable Faceplate Angle: In addition to the standard faceplate position, there are three preset faceplate angles for you to choose from.
Blackout Display Mode: When the Blackout mode is activated, the display turns off to reduce power consumption. The additional power made available by turning off the display helps enhance sound quality.
Display Dimming: This unit is equipped with an illumination dimmer lead. When the unit's dimmer mode has been set to "AUTO" and the illumination lead has been connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display's illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the "MANUAL" dimmer mode setting, so the display is dim at all times.
Switchable Button Illumination: The unit may be set to illuminate the buttons with green or amber illumination. When green illumination is selected, all the buttons are illuminated in green, except when time correction or center frequency adjustments are being made; while time correction or center frequency adjustments are being made, the source button, band button, up button, down button and rotary encoder illumination is amber.
Audio Level Display: You may choose from three audio signal level display patterns, or the audio signal level display may be turned off.
V-Drive Hybrid Amplifier: A V-Drive MOSFET power unit is used to boost the incoming voltage from 14.4 volts (approx.) to 17.2 volts. The increased voltage allows the unit to deliver peak output of 60 watts x 4 channels. While providing high power output, this unit can draw a substantial amount of current, so the constant power wire must be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery in your vehicle. For more info, please see the "Wiring Note" section below.
Bass Engine Plus: Bass Engine functions provide control over your system, so you can tailor the sound to your personal tastes. Bass Engine Plus includes the following functions:
- 4-Channel Digital Time Correction: The time correction feature allows you to create virtual speaker positions by delaying the signals being sent to the speakers closest to you. When the correct delay times have been entered for the front right, front left, rear right and rear left speakers, all sounds reach your ears at the same time, providing optimized imaging and frequency response.
- 3-Position 12dB/Octave Crossover: An 80Hz/120Hz/160Hz low pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and an 80Hz/120Hz/160Hz high pass filter is available for the front right, front left, rear right and rear left speaker and preamp outputs. Either, or both, filters may be turned off.
- MX (MediaXpander): The MediaXpander function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three expansion modes for each internal source (CD, FM, MP3), and each source can have its own setting. There are only one or two expansion modes available for external sources.
- Bass Center Frequency Control: To tailor bass response to your preference, you may select the bass control's center frequency. You may select from the following center frequencies: 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 130Hz, 150Hz, or 180Hz.
- Bass Width Control: You may choose from four band width (Q-Factor) settings for the bass control; the bass control can be set to affect a wide or narrow band of frequencies.
- Treble Center Frequency Control: To tailor treble response to your preference, you may select the treble control's center frequency. You may select from the following center frequencies: 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz, or 17.5kHz.
- Subwoofer Level Control: The level of the subwoofer preamp outputs can be adjusted to balance the output of your subwoofer with that of your other speakers.
- Subwoofer Phase Selector: The phase of the subwoofer outputs may be set to normal (0 degrees) or reverse (180 degrees); this function allows you to minimize phase cancellation of bass frequencies, for stronger bass response.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs containing MP3 files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats; constant and variable bit rates from 8 kbps to 320 kbps are supported. Discs recorded using Joliet or other ISSO 9660 compliant formats can be played, but file and folder names will not be displayed correctly. CD-ROM XA, Mixed Mode CD, Enhanced CD (CD-Extra) and multi-session recordings are supported, but recordings made using Track At Once or packet writing cannot be correctly played back. Discs containing both standard CD audio and MP3 data can be played; the unit may be set to play only the CD audio tracks or both types of tracks. ID3 tag v1 is supported; track title, artist name and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Disc and Station Titling: Titles of up to 8 characters in length may be entered for up to 24 radio stations and 18 CDs; titles cannot be input for MP3 discs.
Wireless Remote: A wireless remote is included for convenient control of the head unit's most used functions (source selection, volume, disc transport functions, station seek and preset tuning, display angle selection).
XM Radio Ready: An optional XM Satellite Radio tuner may be connected to, and controlled by, this unit. The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, will allow you to receive XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio programming features up to 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Auxiliary Input Ready: With the addition of the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable, the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter, or the KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal, the audio from an auxiliary source can be played through this unit. When the KCA-121B interface cable is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to the head unit; the KCA-801B auxiliary input adapter allows you to connect an auxiliary source and an Ai-NET changer to the head unit. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal allows you to feed audio from up to two auxiliary sources and two Ai-NET CD changers to the head unit.
Compatibility: This unit is compatible with 6 and 12-disc Alpine Ai-NET CD changers; also, this unit can control Alpine Ai-NET CD/MP3 changers and DVD changers. Alpine M-Bus CD changers cannot be controlled by this unit.
Multiple Changer Control: With the addition of an optional adapter, more than one CD changer can be controlled. One KCA-400C adapter will allow you to connect up to 4 CD changers, and two KCA-400C adapters will allow you to connect up to a total of 6 CD changers. The KCA-410C Versatile-Link Terminal can be used to connect up to two CD changers and two auxiliary audio sources.
Text Display: When connected to a text capable changer, this unit can display text data from CD Text encoded CDs and MP3 CDs.
Disc Titling: When connected to a CD changer with disc title memory, CD titles may be entered and displayed for discs played in the changer. The title length and title capacity varies depending on the model of CD changer used; titles cannot be input for MP3 discs.
Clock Operation: This unit allows you to choose "keyed" or "unit on" clock operation. When the clock has been given display priority and the unit is turned off, the clock will be displayed whenever the ignition key is in the "on" or "accessory" position. If the clock is not given display priority, the clock is not displayed when the unit is off.
Wiring Note: While providing high power output, this unit can draw a substantial amount of current. Per Alpine, this receiver's constant power wire must be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery in your vehicle, and 10 gauge wire must be used to make the connection. This requires a length of 10 gauge power cable, an in-line fuse holder with a 20 to 30-amp fuse and a ring terminal (the ring terminal is used to connect the cable to the battery clamp). Although all the pieces of a basic amplifier wiring kit will not be not needed, if you do not wish to assemble the required items separately, the power wire and in-line fuse holder from a basic 10 gauge kit can be used to connect the constant power wire to your vehicle's battery. For a secure, permanent connection, the 10 gauge cable must be soldered to this receiver's 16 gauge constant power wire.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.