Bose® FreeSpace® DS 16F
2-1/4" flush mount speaker for distributed audio systems (White)
Our take on the Bose® FreeSpace® DS 16F by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Bose FreeSpace DS 16F features a thumb wheel transformer tap that lets you power multiple speakers from a single amplifier.
Hideaway flush-mount Bose® speakers for your business
Don't your customers deserve Bose®? Bose products — from headphones to home theater systems — have been customer-pleasing best-sellers for us for decades, so we're happy to be able to extend that same experience to business owners. The FreeSpace® DS 16F speaker is built for commercial use, with a convenient thumb wheel transformer tap that lets you power multiple speakers with a single amplifier.
Build a customizable system to fill your entire restaurant, gym, office, or similar place of business with appropriate background music and clear, audible announcements.
Multiple mounting options
This versatile speaker can be installed a few different ways. There's a Bose rough-in pan that helps you flush-mount it in drywall. If your business has a drop ceiling, a nifty Bose tile bridge will do the trick. High ceilings? Hang it securely with a Bose pendant mount.
Part of a customizable Bose sound solution
The Bose Professional family of products offers speakers, amplifiers, processors and accessories that are designed to work together.
The lineup includes:
- A wide array of FreeSpace® speakers, subwoofers, and zone amplifiers
- in-ceiling EdgeMax™ speakers for placement in corners and near walls
- rugged, adaptable PowerShare amplifiers
- clear, reliable Panaray® full-range driver arrays
- versatile ControlSpace® signal processors
- robust MB subwoofers
Our system designers can help you choose the right mix of products to customize a system that sounds amazing in your unique space.
Get a free system design
- indoor-only 2-1/4" full-range driver for background music and customer paging
- voiced for tonal consistency with other Bose® FreeSpace® DS components
- convenient thumb wheel transformer tap located on speaker face
- 70-volt taps at 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 watts
- 100-volt taps at 2, 4, 8, and 16 watts
- 8-ohm bypass for use with standard home stereo equipment
- 140° conical sound dispersion
- frequency response: 95-17,000 Hz (± 3dB)
- sensitivity: 84dB
- 9-7/16" diameter x 6-15/16" depth
- cutout diameter: 8"
- weight: 4.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- One flush-mount loudspeaker
- Terminal cover-plate
- Cardboard template
- Four 1/2" Phillips-head screws
- Installation guide
Features and Specs
|Drivers per speaker||1|
|Woofer Size (inches)||N/A|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||N/A|
|System Frequency response||95-17,000|
|Power rating||16 Watts|
|Peak Power rating||---|
Overview: The Bose FreeSpace DS 16F is a high-performance 70/100 volt loudspeaker that can be either ceiling or pendant mounted (indoor only) and has been designed for foreground music and speech reproduction in a wide range of installed applications. Made from durable ABS plastic with a powder-coated metal grill, the DS 16F features a 2.25" full-range driver mounted in a ported enclosure that can deliver high output with 140˚ of conical coverage and a frequency range down to 80 Hz.
Shared Voicing: Shared voicing across the entire FreeSpace DS product line allows the DS 16, DS 40, and DS 100 loudspeakers to be integrated into the same system while maintaining consistent tonal quality.
70/100 Volt: The DS 16F is rated for 16 watt RMS (64 peak) and can be used with both 70 and 100 volt systems and includes an 8Ω bypass mode as well. An easy-to-change thumb wheel underneath the metal grill allows tap settings to be made without having to remove the speaker from its mount. The following tap settings are available:
- 70 V: 1 W, 2 W, 4 W, 8 W, and 16 W
- 100 V: 2 W, 4 W, 8 W, and 16 W
Connections: The rear of the DS 16F has three set-screw terminals for speaker wire connections that can accommodate wire from 18 AWG to 14 AWG. A screw-down protective cover plate is provided that also includes a ring for an optional safety cable attachment.
Mounting: The DS 16F includes three integrated quick-install mounting arms that swing outward when tightened, supporting the speaker against the back of the mounting surface. The speaker's enclosure also has three mounting points on the backside that can accommodate an optional pendant mount kit (sold separately).
- Frequency Response (+/-3dB): 95 Hz - 17 kHz
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 80 Hz - 19 kHz
- Power Handling: 16 W RMS/ 64 W Peak
- Nominal Dispersion: 140˚ conical
- Recommended High-pass Filter: 80 Hz high-pass
- Sensitivity: 84 dB SPL
- Maximum SPL: 102 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 8Ω (transformer bypassed)
- Transformer Taps:
- 70 V: 1 W, 2 W, 4 W, 8 W, 16 W
- 100 V: 2 W, 4 W, 8 W, 16 W
- Drivers: 2.25" Full-range
- Enclosure: PC/ABS, powder-coated steel grill
- Connectors: Three screw terminals (70/100 V, COMM, 8Ω bypass)
- Outer Flange Diameter: 9.40"
- Mounting Depth: 6.10" / 6.90" with terminal cover-plate
- Cutout Diameter: 7.90"
- Ceiling Thickness (Maximum): 1.50"
- Weight: 4.4 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Thanks for your question. For information on selecting the best amp I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences between the amp models and help you make the best choice for your system. [ Krissy Oct 22, 2018 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Bose® FreeSpace® DS 16F
2-1/4" flush mount speaker for distributed audio systems
3" full-range surface-mount speaker for commercial sound systems$130.00 each
JBL Control® 25AV
5-1/4" 2-way weather-resistant surface mount speakers
Passive indoor/outdoor subwoofer