Samsung UN43LS003 "The Frame"
43" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR and art display modes (2017 model)
From Samsung: Frame TV
Samsung UN43LS003 "The Frame" - There are different screen settings for displaying art or watching TV
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Samsung UN43LS003 "The Frame" by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The Frame TV has different screen settings for displaying art or watching TV.
Turn your living room into a gallery
For years, TV makers have tried to build a TV that would look like a picture hanging on your wall. With The Frame, Samsung has succeeded, stylishly. This compact 4K TV sports a bezel that looks like a picture frame. It can display images from its library of more than 100 art pieces, including landscape, architecture, wildlife, and drawings. You can also display your own photos.
The Frame's unique look comes courtesy of famed industrial designer Yves Behar. Unlike a regular TV, The Frame is designed to always show a picture when someone is in the room. A motion sensor ensures that the image remains onscreen as long as the TV senses movement. After a period of no motion, the screen will go blank to save power.
The Frame offers several options for art layouts, as well as customizable accessories, including interchangeable bezels.
It's a terrific 4K TV, too
The 43" version of The Frame (model UN43LS003) is also a very capable 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (High Dynamic Range). Its vibrant picture deserves the highest quality signals you can feed it. For now and the forseeable future, the best available 4K source is a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Hollywood will release hundreds more movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray this year, and most of those discs will also offer HDR's enhanced contrast and color range. There are 4K/HDR web streaming options, too, including Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video.
Simple to hook up, easy to use
Samsung has an elegant way of simplifying hookup that's especially effective for TVs like this one, that are designed to be wall-mounted. Instead of connecting your Blu-ray player, cable box, and other video sources directly to the UN43LS003, you connect them to the supplied One Connect switching hub, which comes in the box with the UN43LS003. A single super-thin cable connects the hub to the TV, for a clean, uncluttered look. Both the TV panel and One Connect have their own power connections.
When it comes to smart TV features, Samsung's set of streaming video and music apps is hard to beat. And new, improved iOS® and Android® apps will let you receive live notifications from the UN43LS003 and help you locate content.
The smart remote's built-in microphone and the TV's voice control function really simplify everyday use. Your voice is all you need to turn the TV on or off, change channels, or adjust the volume. You can also change settings and launch apps, all without taking your eyes off the screen.
- 42.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- Art Mode transforms The Frame into a beautiful work of art when you're not watching TV
- the Samsung Collection is a built-in gallery of professionally curated art, featuring one hundred pieces from ten different genres
- My Collection is an easy way to store all your favorite works of art in one place with up to 2 gigabytes of storage space
- Samsung's Art Store lets you buy individual pieces or subscribe to an ever-increasing library of established and emerging artists' work
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- 4K Color Drive Extreme for increased color range and brightness
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- 4K HDR Pro (HDR 10) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed via the TV's built-in apps
- edge-lit LED backlight for good contrast and black levels
- UHD Upscaling upconverts high-definition and standard-definition video content
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Quad-Core processor lets you switch between apps and stream content much faster
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- AllShare™ video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- mobile-to-TV and TV-to-mobile wireless mirroring
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections (on One Connect hub):
- 4 HDMI 2.0a
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- hub dimensions: 14-1/4"W x 1-5/16"H x 6-5/8"D (depth includes connector)
- includes 16-1/2-ft. ultra-thin proprietary cable to connect hub to TV (cable is not rated for in-wall use)
- built-in speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- OneRemote with built-in microphone for voice control
- detachable dual-footer stand ("footprint" is 32-1/4"W x 7-15/16"D)
- wall-mountable (Samsung No Gap Wall Mount is included)
- 38-1/8"W x 21-15/16"H x 1-3/4"D (23-5/8"H x 7-15/16"D on stand)
- weight: 25.8 lbs. with stand; 24.7 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 43" Frame TV
- One Connect box
- 16.5' Proprietary optical cable
- 10' AC power cord
- 5' AC power cord
- 2 Pedestal feet
- Smart Remote (BN59-01288A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- TV bracket
- Wall bracket
- Terminal cover
- 2 Back panel covers (pre-installed)
- Four M4 x 14mm screws
- 4 Metal wall mount adapters
- 6 Wall screws
- 6 Wall anchors
- 4 Plastic wall mount adapters
- 2 Self-adhesive foam pads
- 4 Self-adhesive cable channels
- Rubber cable manager
- 2 Cover caps
- 7 White stickers
- User Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- One Connect Diagram
- Regulatory Compliance Statements/Important Safety Instructions
- Wall Mount Template
- Installation Guide
- "Cautions When Installing" booklet
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
Samsung UN43LS003 "The Frame" Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Art Mode: In TV Mode, The Frame is a big, beautiful 4K UHD TV. But when you turn it off, The Frame enters Art Mode and begins elegantly presenting art or your own cherished photos to bring an inspiring, intimate touch to any room. When you're not watching TV, Art Mode transforms The Frame into a beautiful work of art, practically indistinguishable from the real thing. The Frame delivers a stunning, gallery-quality experience that will bring great art and cherished memories to life in a fresh, new way.
- Samsung Collection: The Frame comes with the Samsung Collection, an exclusive, professionally-curated collection of 100 works of art from 37 renowned artists spanning 10 genres (Landscapes, Patterns, Still Life, Digital Art, Urban Abstract, From Above, Action, Architecture, Drawing, & Wild Life) . You'll find stunning photography, paintings, drawings, and digital works selected to complement a wide variety of tastes and decors.
- Online Art Store: The online Art Store lets explore extraordinary works from internationally recognized artists. You can buy individual pieces or subscribe to an ever-increasing library of established and emerging artists' works.
- Personal Content: You are even able to upload and display your favorite personal photos on the Frame TV. Simply connect an external USB MSC (mass storage class) device, like a USB thumbdrive, with images you want to download. Images must be in a JPEG format and have a resolution between 320 x 180 to 7680 x 4320.
- Matte Layout & Color: You can even complement your artwork with just the right combination of matte layout and color. There are dozens of options to choose from - Art Layout (Shadow Box, Modern, No Matte); Photo Layout (Shadow Box, Squares, Triptych, Modern, Mixed, Panoramic); and Matte Color (Polar, Antique, Warm, Natural, Sand, Sea Foam, Sage, Burgundy, Navy, Black).
- Mobile Control: Your smartphone is always on hand, and with easy-to-use mobile control, you can instantly update the view with just a few taps. Adjust the settings or find new artwork to display with your smartphone device. Simply download Samsung's Smart View app for Apple iOS (8.0+) and Android OS (4.1+) onto your mobile device.
4K Color Drive Extreme & 4K HDR Pro: The Samsung Frame combines 4K resolution with HDR (High Dynamic Range) video capability for the ultimate in picture quality. 4K delivers 4x higher resolution than current 1080p high-definition TVs, so you'll see more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. HDR provides greater brightness, color, and detail. As a result, you get a truly immersive experience for all your favorite movies and TV shows.
- UHD Remastering Engine & Upscaling: The Samsung Frame has a display resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K) and will display all video at that resolution, regardless of input signal, thanks to UHD upscaling. UHD Upscaling delivers the complete Ultra-HD picture experience with a proprietary process including signal analysis, noise reduction, UHD upscaling, and detail enhancement to seamlessly upconvert SD, HD, or full-HD content to Ultra-HD-level picture quality. Its UHD Remastering Engine optimizes color, contrast, and image detail by processing the image characteristics prior to them being displayed on the screen.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Samsung Frame features the ability to provide a High Dynamic Range (HDR) experience for a higher level of contrast between light and dark images. HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR10+ (Future Firmware Update): Samsung and Amazon Video announced the introduction of HDR10+. HDR10+ elevates the HDR10 open standard with the addition of Dynamic Tone Mapping. HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows The Frame to adjust brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. With the ability to display outstanding contrast with detailed highlights and a richer range of colors, HDR10+ produces images that are much closer to the director's intent.
- This TV complies with the CTA 4K Ultra High-Definition Connected definition requirements. The trade organization known as the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) is considered an industry authority on engineering standards for consumer electronics in the United States. Visit www.cta.tech for more information.
- Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view 4K HDR content.
Essential Black Pro w/ UHD Dimming: Even the darkest scenes reveal rich details, thanks to Essential Black Pro. Deeper shades of black promise a more immersive viewing experience. The Frame also uses UHD Dimming technology to optimize contrast, color and sharpness for true-to-life image quality. UHD Dimming precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites.
MR 240 + Auto Motion Plus: The Samsung Frame combines its 120Hz native panel refresh rate with Samsung's proprietary MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus image processing technology, which is faster and more responsive than conventional image processors, as it interpolates intermediate frames to smooth out the image. MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus helps to remove blur and judder from scenes with large amounts of rapid movement to provide a clearer picture. MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus reduces blur so that action movies, sports and video games have enhanced clarity. Advanced panel and unique backlight technology combine with proprietary algorithms to reduce the response time and yield a more accurate image reproduction with faster onscreen motion.
HDMI 2.0a Inputs: The Samsung Frame is equipped with four HDMI 2.0a inputs (located on the One Connect) to connect to your Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable receiver, Game Console, and/or AV receiver. Any HDMI input can also be used to connect a PC to this TV. All HDMI inputs are 4K compatible, HDCP 2.2 compliant, and support 4:4:4 color subsampling.
- Supported Resolutions: Supported video resolutions include 4k (24/60Hz), 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDCP 2.2 Compliant: HDCP 2.2 compliance makes The Frame fully compatible with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission from Ultra-HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite//Cable providers.
- Color Subsampling: With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. 4:2:2 (50/60p) and 4:2:0 (50/60p) are also supported by all HDMI inputs.
Note: This TV does not contain analog composite or component video inputs.
Built-in HDTV Tuner: The included One Connect features a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i); subscription still required to receive cable channels. A single RF-type coaxial input is use to connect an external indoor/outdoor antenna (sold separately).
Picture Controls: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture. The Frame's picture adjustments can be made for a particular AV input or for all inputs.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes - 16:9 (16:9 widescreen format), 4:3 (4:3 standard format), or Custom (magnifies or shrink 16:9 pictures vertically and/or horizontally). The Picture size is fixed for video and still images displayed natively in 3840 x 2160 (4K).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments to the picture. Select from Dynamic (increases the brightness of the screen), Standard (suitable for a normal environment), Natural (useful for reducing eye strain), or Movie (darkens the screen and reduces glare).
- Manual Picture Settings: The Frame has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality. Manually adjust Backlight (adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight), Contrast (increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture), Brightness (adjusts the brightness level of the picture) Sharpness (sharpens or dulls the edges of objects), Color (adjusts the color saturation of the picture), and Tint (adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture).
- Expert Settings: The Frame also offers more advanced
picture adjustments for expert fine tuning. Fine tune the
- Contrast Enhancer: automatically balances the contrast to prevent excessive differences between bright and dark areas
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using Cool/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 presets
- Color Space: adjusts the range of colors available to create the image
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors)
- RGB: displays the Red/Green/Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red/green/blue intensity)
- Digital Clean View: reduces any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen
- Film & Games Modes: The Frame can be set to automatically sense and process film signals and adjust the picture from optimum quality. The television can also be set to Game mode, which is designed specifically for fast-action gaming, and not normal TV viewing. The Frame's input lag is reduced from 62.5ms to 20.2ms when Game mode is activated.
Built-in Sensors: The Samsung Frame has a built-in Brightness Sensor and Motion Sensor.
- Brightness Sensor: The Frame intelligently adjusts brightness and color as ambient lighting conditions change for an optimal viewing experience, bringing an extra sense of art realism to your space all day long. Performance may vary depending on the ambient brightness level at home.
- Motion Sensor: The Frame automatically turns off to save power when you leave the room and turns on when you return. The Motion sensor operates only when The Frame is in Art Mode. Actual results may differ depending on lighting conditions.
Optical Digital Output: The Frame's optical digital output terminal is found on the included One Connect. It will output Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS (when available), as well as DTS Neo 2.5 or 2ch PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, or USB ports.
Note: This TV does not contain any analog audio inputs or outputs.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 2 input enables The Frame, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to The Frame. ARC allows audio from The Frame tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from The Frame's tuner, HDMI inputs, network connection, and USB ports can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to The Frame's HDMI 2 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
DTS Premium Sound: The Samsung Frame employs DTS Premium Sound processing which will decode DTS-encoded content, such as TV programming, Blu-ray movies, and streaming media, as well as processes stereo content to deliver an optimized virtual surround sound experience with enhanced bass response, clear dialog, and consistent volume levels through The Frame speakers.
Equalizer: You can manually adjusts The Frame's built-in 7-band EQ (100, 200, 500, 1k, 2k, 5k, & 10k Hz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following EQ Preset Modes - Standard, Optimized, or Amplify.
Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
Wireless Audio Connectivity: The Samsung TV provides wireless connectivity to compatible Samsung SoundConnect soundbar speaker systems and Samsung Multiroom Link speaker systems. You can also wirelessly stream audio from The Frame to a set of Bluetooth headphones or a single Bluetooth audio speaker.
- SoundConnect: The Frame is compatible with the SoundConnect feature found on some Samsung active soundbar speaker systems (sold separately). SoundConnect makes a wireless connection between The Frame and the speaker system via Bluetooth. Once the two are paired, you can control the volume and mute the sound by using the remote control from The Frame or the speaker system. If you change the soundbar speaker system from TV mode to another mode or turn it off, The Frame audio will resume playing from The Frame's speakers.
- Multiroom Link: This TV is compatible with Samsung's wireless Multiroom Link speakers (sold separately), so you can wirelessly connect The Frame to multiple Samsung Multiroom Link speakers throughout your home for a whole house audio experience. You can also configure compatible Multiroom Link speakers as wireless stereo speakers or rear speakers for The Frame.
- Bluetooth HP: Thanks to The Frame's built-in Bluetooth, you can pair a single set of Bluetooth headphones or one Bluetooth speaker with the Samsung television. You are able to stream audio from any of the TV's built-in sources or connected sources. The Frame's audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speaker. You can choose to have the TV speakers play at the same time as your Bluetooth headphones or speaker, or you can turn the TV speakers completely off. The volume of the Bluetooth headphones or speaker will be controlled via the headphones or speaker, and not the TV.
Note: The SoundConnect, Multiroom Link, and Bluetooth HP features cannot be used simultaneously.
Samsung's Quad-Core Processor: Samsung's Quad-Core processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables extremely faster web browsing and application access. Quad-Core eliminates lag to give you a fluid browsing experience. It enables you to switch between apps, stream content, and multi-task much faster. This extra power also provides faster page refreshing.
Network Connection: You can set up the Samsung Frame so that it can access your home network and online Samsung TV Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi).
- Wired (Ethernet): The Frame's contains an RJ-45 Ethernet jack on the included One Connect for a wired network connection. You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually.
- Wireless (WiFi): The Frame is also IEEE 802.11ac WiFi certified for a wireless network connection. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; Automatic, Manual, WPS (PBC), or WPS (PIN). The Frame's built-in WiFi supports WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), or WPA2-PSK network security.
Note: A dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router or better is recommended For 4K streaming. Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Samsung TV Apps: Once you have connected the Samsung TV to your home network, you gain access to Samsung's TV Apps. Samsung's TV Apps let you download online applications and services (fees may apply) to the Samsung Frame. Samsung TV Apps has a growing collection of online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications - such as movies, TV shows, music, news, sports, and weather.
- 4K/HDR Video Content: This UHD TV even offers "HEVC/H.265 & VP9" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K & HDR10 content from online movie & TV show providers (like Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu, UltraFlix 4K, Google Play Movies & TV, FandangoNow, & YouTube).
- HD Video Apps: Watch high definition movies and TV shows on HuluPlus, HBO-NOW, and HBO-GO
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and TuneIn.
- Sports: Enjoy sporting events, news, & highlights from NBC Sports, NBA Replay, and UFC.TV.
- News & Weather: Get updated with news stock quotes from NBC & CNBC Real-Time. Check your local weather and other area weather at The Weather Network, Accuweather, or WeatherNation.
Web Browser: You can surf the Internet on The Frame as you would on a PC. You may enter a URL addresses or enter a keyword search. The player will archive your web browser history. You can scroll web pages with the directional pad on the included remote. For a more convenient web browsing experience, connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (sold separately) to The Frame.
Note: The Frame's web browser experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video, ActiveX, Java applications, and E-commerce for purchasing products online.
Wireless Mobile Device Connectivity: The Samsung Frame allows wireless integration with your wireless network devices via WiFi Direct, Screen Mirroring and DLNA.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung Frame without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- Screen Mirroring: The Frame's Screen Mirroring function lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Samsung mobile device with AllShare Cast or Apple iOS/Android device with the Smart View App installed to The Frame. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible mobile device on The Frame screen. No wireless router or access point required.
- DLNA Certified: The Samsung Frame is DLNA certified, allowing you to watch videos (Divx/AVI/H.264/MPEG/MKV/MOV/WMV), photos (JPEG/PNG/BMP/MPO), and listen to music (MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF/OGG) saved on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through The Frame via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless).
USB 2.0 Ports: The television is equipped with three USB-A 2.0 ports on the One Connect. The USB port labeled "HDD 5V/1A" can be used to connect a USB hard-disk drive (HDD) to The Frame, while the other two USB ports labeled "5V/0.5A" can be used to connect a USB mass storage class device (like a USB thumdrive) or a keyboard/mouse. All three USB 2.0 ports let you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device.
- Video Playback: The Frame supports the following video file types - AVI, Divx, H.264, MPEG, MKV, MOV, and WMV. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The Frame offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The Frame supports the following still image file types - JPEG, PNG, BMP, or MPO. Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with or without background music, as thumbnails, or full-screen.
- Audio Playback: The Frame supports the following music file types - MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, and OGG. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Note: Files must be formatted in FAT, exFAT, or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files per folder. The USB ports can also be used to connect a USB-compatible keyboard & mouse.
Auto Updates: If the television is connected to the Internet, you can have The Frame update its software automatically while you are watching it. When the background update is completed, it is applied the next time The Frame is turned on. Updates can also be done via USB. Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware & Software updates.
Smart Hub: The Frame's Smart Hub has been redesigned and offers even easier navigation, plus quick access; you can even use these convenient features while still watching TV. The new Smart Hub features easy access to content by displaying your favorite and most used TV applications, as well as recommendations for even more entertainment options. Smart Hub offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from The Frame's tuner and network apps.
- Universal & Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows & movies across platforms, like over-the-air broadcasts and available online providers.
- Apps: From The Frame's Home Screen, you can easily select the apps that have used previously or frequently. The apps can also be moved or deleted from the screen. You are also able to easily view, navigate and select between the following App categories - Editor's Choice, Most Popular, Downloaded Apps, Group Content, and Genre.
- TV Plus & Recommendations: The Frame Plus feature aggregates TV and movie content from across services into a single interface. This includes on-demand TV shows, as well as movies available for rent or purchase. You'll also receive personalized recommendations based on your viewing habits, plus what's popular and trending.
- Music & Sports Services: The Music Service features automatically recognizes background music from the current program or external content and returns related information, so you can identify the song and artist. The Sports Service feature integrates content regarding your favorite sports team, whether it be live games, scores or VOD clips. You'll also get alerts whenever your favorite teams are playing, and with notifications in the SmartView app, you can get these alerts even when the TV is powered off.
- Channel Guide & Favorite Channels: In the Channel Guide, you can see the daily program schedules for each off-air broadcaster, see program information, choose a program to watch, and set up a schedule viewing. You can even designate frequently watched off-air stations as Favorites (up to 5).
Connection Guide: The Frame's on-screen Connection Guide lets you view detailed information about external device that can be connected to the televisions. It shows you how to connect various external devices such as cable boxes, satellite receivers, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and more using on-screen images.
Netflix Recommended: This Samsung TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique set of features which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. First of all, the TV starts up instantly and apps are ready to use right away, just like on your smartphone. Second, the Netflix app always launches quickly, whether it's right after turning on The Frame or after using several other apps. Third, the Netflix app is easy to access and convenient to launch from The Frame's on-screen menu. Fourth, you can browse the Netflix app interface with crisp text and clearer images. And finally, The Frame remembers what you were doing and wakes to the same place as when it was turned off.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Samsung television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Samsung TV, without the need for an additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Samsung TV's LAN port. Make sure the television has the latest firmware update.
Note: Whether you are a new or existing DIRECTV customer, you will need to contact DIRECTV to complete the RVU setup.
Hearing & Visually Impaired: The Samsung Frame offers Close Captions and a Voice Guide for the hearing and visually impaired. The Frame provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions for the hearing impaired. You can also activate Voice Guides that describe the menu options aloud to aid the visually impaired.
ECO Settings: The Samsung Frame provides ECO settings to reduce the television's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Ambient Light Detection: Samsung's unique Ambient Light Detection measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Power Saving Mode: This feature adjust the brightness of The Frame in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- Motion Lighting: This feature adjusts The Frame's brightness in response to on-screen movements to reduce power consumption.
- Auto Power Off: Automatically turns off The Frame to reduce unnecessary power consumption if there is no operation for the length of time you specify (up to 4 hours)
Security Settings: The Samsung Frame offers two security features for TV programming and the Internet.
- Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
- Smart Security: When any device is connected to the Internet, it is vulnerable to hacks and malicious code. Samsung Smart Security protects The Frame and storage media connected to The Frame from such threats, when the television is connected to the Internet.
Timers: You can set Off Timer to shut off The Frame automatically at a specific time; the Off Timer is only available if the Clock has been set. The Sleep Timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minute. If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (defined by the user), The Frame's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Remote Support + Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Remote Support service offers you one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician who can remotely diagnose your TV, adjust The Frame settings, perform a factory reset, and install recommended firmware updates. Your TV must be connected to your homes wired or wireless network. The Samsung Frame also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
Note: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into The Frame and can be viewed on-screen. Open the e-Manual to learn how to use The Frame's many features.
One Smart Remote: The new One Samsung Smart Remote makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with ease while focusing on the TV screen. Simply use the remote's directional pad to navigate menus quickly or perform voice commands with the built-in microphone. Because the One Smart Remote communicates with the TV through a wireless Bluetooth communication, you don't have to point the remote directly at the TV (wireless range is approximately 20').
- Voice Control: Using the One Smart Remote's built-in microphone and the voice control function of the TV, your voice is all you need to turn on/off the Samsung television, navigate menus, and get to your favorite Smart TV content. You can even use only your voice to switch the channel, adjust the volume level, and launch online apps while focusing on the TV screen, which removes the need for a conventional remote control. You can even setup the TV to give you audible feedback in regards to your voice commands.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): You can use the TV's One Smart Remote to control external devices that are connected to the TV by an HDMI cable and that support Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) can control up to 12 compliant external devices (up to 3 of the same type) except for home theaters; Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) can control only one home theater system.
- Auto Source Recognition: The QLED TV uses Auto Source Recognition technology to automatically detect what kind of devices are plugged in via HDMI; then the One Smart Remote makes it simple to control these detected devices through the TV via HDMI-CEC. Auto Source Recognition and controlling function may not be supported by certain devices connected to the TV. To use the Auto Source Recognition feature, all HDMI-connected devices must also be on the same network and Internet connection is required.
- When you turn on the TV for the first time, the Samsung One Smart Remote pairs to the TV automatically. If the Samsung Smart Remote does not pair to the TV automatically, point it at the remote control sensor of the TV, and then press and hold the "Back/Return" and "Play/Pause" buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds or more.
- The remote control does not support IR commands. However, the TV does have an IR receiver and will support universal remote controls - such as Logitech's Harmony (sold separately).
Smart View Mobile App: Samsung's Smart View app for Apple iOS (8.0+) and Android OS (4.1+) turns your smartphone into a remote control for the UHD TV. You can also share content between your smartphone and The Frame. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to same wireless network as the Samsung UHD TV. There is also a Windows PC Smart View app available for content sharing.
- Remote Control & Smart Hub: Your Apple iOS or Android device can work as a remote for the Samsung Frame. The Frame's Smart Hub interface is even integrated into the Smart View app, providing a comprehensive overview of all available content on the app's home screen. You'll be able to select and start your favorite live programs or video-on-demand services on The Frame through the Smart View app on your smartphone or tablet.
- TV View: Enjoy TV programs and other multimedia right from your Apple iOS or Android device that's connected to the same network as the UHD TV. You can watch the same program as on The Frame or different content from another input source.
- Content Sharing: Share videos, pictures and even music from your Apple iOS or Android device on The Frame. You can even create personalized playlists to access all of your favorite videos, photos, and music in one place. You'll even be able to add content files or even a whole folder from your Windows PC into the Smart View app and play them back on The Frame.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung Frame will support a USB or Bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately), which makes web browsing a lot easier.
The Frame Design (Interchangeable Frames Sold Separately): Designed to be indistinguishable from a modern picture frame in every detail, The Frame is able to seamlessly blend with any room decor.The Frame's interchangeable frame is the secret to interior harmony. It magnetically attaches to the standard metal frame, allowing The Frame to beautifully complement any space. Available in attractive walnut and beige wood or classy white metal (all sold separately), the high-quality frame options add an elegant finishing touch to any decor.
One Connect: The Frame includes Samsung's One Connect which connects to The Frame via a single 16.5' proprietary optical cable. The One Connect features a built-in HDTV tuner and antenna connector, 4 HDMI inputs, an Optical Digital output, Ethernet (RJ-45) jack, and three USB 2.0 ports. The One Connect provides clean integration of all your external devices so there's less clutter, plus allows you to update The Frame with the newest software and features. The One Connect includes a detachable 5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the unit.
Note: The included 16.5' proprietary optical cable is clear in color and super-thin. It features a proprietary connector on each end; one labeled "One Connect" and the other labeled "TV". You can also purchase a 15 meter (49.2') version of this cable (305SOCM15U, sold separately) if you require a longer length.
No Gap Wall-Mount: The included No Gap Wall-Mount has an extremely low profile that allows The Frame to hang virtually flush with the wall, just like a real picture frame. The mount installs quickly and easily and also offers an adjustable tilt angle. The Frame weighs 24.7 lbs when wall mounted.
- Tilt Mechanism: The No Gap Wall-Mount allows you to tilt the Samsung Frame 33° downward, so you can mount The Frame high on the wall (like over a fireplace) and tilt it downward for a better viewing angle.
- Level Adjustment: Once The Frame is installed on the No Gap Wall-Mount, you can level up The Frame by adjusting the horizontal level of the No Gap Wall-Mount from 1° to 2°. If you cannot level up The Frame with this adjustment, then you need to reinstall the bracket to the wall and Frame.
- Wood Stud & Concrete Installation: The No Cap Wall-Mount comes with the appropriate hardware to mount the bracket to wood studs or a concrete wall. The included wall bracket plate supports 16" OC wood studs (24" OC is not supported) using the supplied hardware. In addition, anchors are supplied for concrete wall installation.
- Measured from the rear-panel of The Frame, the gap may differ based on the installation and wall type.
- Wall mount adapters are included if there is protruding part of the wall that requires that you mount The Frame further from the wall.
VESA Mount Wall-Mounts (Sold Separately): The Frame also has four threaded inserts on the back and comes with four wall-mount adapters for use with VESA-mount compatible wall brackets (sold separately - see Accessories tab). The spacing of the mounting holes is 200mm (h) x 200mm (v). The threaded inserts and wall-mount adapters require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The included wall-mount adapters must be used when using an VESA-mount wall bracket. The Frame weighs 41.0 lbs when wall mounted.
Pedestal Feet: The Frame comes with two pedestal feet for mounting it on top of a piece of AV furniture. The Frame is shipped with the pedestal feet unattached. The pedestal feet simply slide and lock into the bottom of The Frame (no mounting hardware is required). The pedestal feet do not allow The Frame to swivel. The Frame weighs 25.8 lbs with the pedestal feet attached.
Ventilation Clearance: When mounting The Frame on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung Frame comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The power cord plugs into the back of The Frame. The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.9375" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Unique way to have a tv over your fireplace without the black box look [ B Apr 09, 2018 ]
Turned my den into a speakeasy, needed something that would dsiplay TV when i wanted it to but which would also fit into the theme of the room when not. [ Patrick Dec 11, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
The app does have a toggle for motion and light and a sliding scale for sensitivity. However, I noticed in the 43" the sensor does not drop down as it seems to on the 55" and 65". I noticed in my first week the tv would shut off on its own occasionally and I believe it's due to the bezel blocking light, so as a result I turned off that feature and it's all good. I don't need that feature anyhow since it's just my den. Hopefully a firmware patch fixes this. [ Patrick Jan 18, 2018 ]
Yes, when the room is dark the tv will shut off. The tv also senses motion and you can set the sensitivity. However I own two of these tv's with one over a fireplace. That one does seem to sense motion well, perhaps because it is higher than normal. [ bradley Jan 16, 2018 ]
Yes it does... [ CLAUDE Jan 15, 2018 ]
Yes - there is a light sensor on the screen that turns the display off automatically when it's nighttime. [ Hugh Jan 15, 2018 ]