Smart dog collar with location tracker and activity monitor (Medium)
From Link AKC: Smart Collar
Our take on the Link AKC by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A hard-working, versatile smart collar for dogs
I've had this same dilemma with every dog I've ever owned: I want them to be able to run around and stay healthy, but I don't want them to get lost. The Link AKC (American Kennel Club) smart collar is loaded with features that help you create a customized health routine for an active pup, along with location and tracking features that help to keep him safe at home.
Establish a safe zone
LINK AKC uses advanced GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular data to monitor the location of your dog. The Bluetooth Safe Zone feature uses the standard radius of Bluetooth — roughly 33 feet — to create a perimeter around the collar's base station or your smartphone. Download the free app, and it'll send instant notification to your smartphone any time your dog leaves a safe zone. That way you can grab her before she gets too far away.
If you happen to be at the grocery store when you get the alert, and can't get home quickly, don't worry. Link AKC uses AT&T cellular (subscription required) to show you where your dog is on a map, making it easier to track her down and bring her back home safely.
A paws-on review
"I've been testing out the Link AKC smart collar with my boxador, Grizzly, and so far I love it. The added safety of the GPS tracker in the collar is invaluable when I walk him off-leash. At night, the light on the collar keeps us both safe when we walk near roadways. On the rare occasion I leave Grizzly at home, it's nice to use the Link AKC app on my phone to check up on him."
— Brady, Crutchfield Advisor
Keep 'em healthy with a customized activity plan
There's also a 3-axis accelerometer inside the Link AKC, so you'll be able to tell how much activity your dog is getting during the day. Enter your dog's age, breed, behavior, and size into the app, and it'll recommend a custom exercise plan designed to keep him healthy and happy. The app's patent-pending algorithm can even tell if your dog is engaging in intense activity, or just... dogging it.
Link AKC is an award-winning pet activity monitor and GPS tracker that fits lovable dogs of all sizes.
But wait, there's more!
Sorry to go full infomercial on you there, but Link AKC really did pack this collar with some other useful features that I feel compelled to mention.
- lets you consolidate vaccination records and set important dog-related reminders
- built-in temperature monitor lets you know if your dog is getting too hot or too cold
- virtual scrapbook lets you save maps of your favorite walks, along with photos from your adventures
- puppy plan: upsize the device for free any time during the first year
- built-in LED light helps you keep your eyes on your dog at night
- remote-controlled sound helps you get your dog's attention during training
- 24/7 free access to the Pet Poison Helpline
The tracking unit is impact- and water-resistant, and the rechargeable battery can last up to 2 days on each charge.
This device requires a subscription-based cellular plan.
- track your dog via GPS anywhere in the US
- requires a service plan ($6.95-$9.95 per month) and a stable AT&T cellular connection
- ergonomically curved, multi-functional tracking device helps keep your dog safe and healthy
- premium leather collar included; tracking device also fits easily on standard collars
- receive notification on your smartphone if your dog leaves established "safe zones"
- Bluetooth® Safe Zones are automatically created around your phone and the collar's base station
- 3-axis accelerometer lets you know how much activity your dog is getting during the day
- free app for Android™ and Apple® smartphones
- recommends a customized exercise schedule based on your dog's age, breed, behavior, and size
- virtual scrapbook lets you save maps and photos from your adventures
- consolidate vaccination records for easy access on the go
- set reminders for vet visits and other important pet events
- compatible with Amazon Alexa
- temperature monitor lets you know if your dog is getting too hot or cold
- LED light helps you keep an eye on your dog at night
- remote-controlled sound to aid with training
- AKC's monthly service plan includes:
- size guarantee: upsize your growing dog's collar for free during the first year
- 24/7 access to the Pet Poison Helpline
- impact- and water-resistant
- battery life: up to 2 days with normal use
Included Accessories and Warranty:
- adjustable collar
- base station
- collar device carrier
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Link AKC tracking unit
- Base Station
- Tracking Unit carrier
- Leather collar (medium)
- 40" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- AC adapter (DC Output: 5.0V 1000mA)
- "Welcome to the Pack" letter
Link AKC Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: Link AKC (licensed by the American Kennel Club) is an innovative activity monitor and GPS tracker for dogs over 10 pounds. Using the Link AKC app on your smartphone or tablet, you can know at a glance where your dog is, and also monitor his daily activity level and wellness. The tracking unit uses Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS technology, plus AT&T's cellular network, to keep you connected to your pet, whether you're at home, at work, or on the go. Link AKC requires a service plan to keep the unit connected to the cellular network. The package includes the tracking unit and carrier, a premium leather collar, charging base, and charger. Link AKC is impact-resistant and water-resistant up to 3 feet (IP67), so it'll withstand most any activity, even swimming. The lightweight tracking unit weighs slightly more than 1 ounce (2.5 ounces with the carrier). Link AKC carries a 3-year limited warranty.
Service Plans: Because GPS location and other data are transmitted through the AT&T cellular network, a service plan is required. Plans automatically renew to a monthly plan at the end of the applicable plan period, unless you cancel or start a new term plan. (Tax is required for plans in CT and TX.) The Service Plan also includes 24/7 direct access to the Pet Poison Helpline, and a Puppy Guarantee (upsize your growing dog's collar through Link AKC at no cost). When you activate your tracking collar in the app, you can select one of the following plans:
- Monthly: $9.95 per month, billed every month
- 1 Year (20% savings): $7.95 per month (average), billed once a year ($95.40)
- 2 Years (30% savings): $6.95 per month (average), billed once every two years ($166.80)
Link AKC App: The free Link AKC app is required to keep you connected to the tracking unit, and informed concerning your pet's whereabouts, activities, and health. You can keep track of up to 10 dogs with the Link AKC app, however, each pet requires a separate collar and tracking unit. The app is available for smartphones and tablets with iOS 9.0 or later, and Android 4.4 and up.
Leather Collar: Link AKC includes a premium leather collar in the signature shade of Hask Brown. The tracking unit securely clips into a leather-trimmed carrier, which is curved to give maximum comfort to your pet. The carrier clips to the included collar, or any standard 1" wide collar. Five sizes of collars are available, so you can find the right size for your dog:
- Extra Small (XS): Fits necks between 9" and 13". (Instead of the carrier, the XS unit comes with a specially-designed leather sleeve for the tracking unit.)
- Small (S): Fits necks between 9.5" and 14".
- Medium (M): (This Model) Fits necks between 14" and 17.5".
- Large (L): Fits necks between 17" and 21".
- Extra Large (XL): Fits necks between 20.5" and 25".
Smart Collar: Link AKC and the Link AKC app offer many features to help you keep track of your dog's health and well-being, as well as their location:
- Location: The tracking unit uses Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and cellular GPS to help you know your dog's location at all times. Should your dog become lost, you'll be able to use the Link AKC app to locate him quickly.
- Safe Zones/Geofencing: You can easily set up digital safe zones for your pet. Bluetooth Safe Zones are automatically created around your phone and near the Base Station. As long as your dog stays within the zone, you can rest assured that he's safe. If your dog should leave a safe zone, the app will send a notification to your smartphone or tablet, alerting you that your dog is on the move.
- Activity Monitor: Using the built-in 3-axis accelerometer, Link AKC can track your dog's activity levels to make sure they're getting enough exercise, or to warn you of a possible illness or injury (if activity levels suddenly decrease). Normal activity levels for your dog's breed and age can be compared to your pet's daily and historical activity levels over a period of time on the Link AKC app.
- Ambient Temperature: Link AKC can monitor the ambient temperature at your dog's present location. You can set up temperature alerts on the app so you can receive notifications if it's too hot or cold for your dog.
- Adventures: You can capture information of new adventures that you can repeat over and over. The app can record your path so you can come back to it when you desire. Along the way, you can take pictures and videos to share with family and friends.
- Light and Sound: The Link AKC tracking unit has an LED light on the front that you can turn on remotely from the app so your dog can see (and be seen) in the dark. In addition, sound can be remotely-generated from the app and emitted from the collar tracking unit to be used as a training aid.
- Health Records: The app will allow you to keep your pet's health records, vaccinations, vet visits, training certificates, and other documents in one place. Just take photos of the records and save them to the app for instant access.
- Amazon Echo Compatible: The Link AKC collar is the first connected smart collar that is compatible with Amazon Echo voice assistants. You can ask Alexa to check your dog's activity for the day.
Rechargeable Battery: Link AKC operates on a rechargeable battery that lasts for approximately 2 days under normal use. The tracking unit can be easily removed from the carrier and placed in the magnetic charging cradle. Full charging time for an exhausted battery is approximately 2.5 hours. The charging cradle is connected via the supplied Micro USB cable, which can be connected to any USB charging port (with a Type A USB port) or to the included AC adapter. The cradle has a convenient Type A USB outlet (5V/1000mA), so you can charge your phone at the same time.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
features [ archie Feb 23, 2018 ]
Tracking dog on acreage [ MICHAEL Sep 16, 2018 ]
Tracking device for my dog sounds like a great idea especially when he is in the woods without his leash. [ Allen Mar 20, 2018 ]
5 questions already asked
No, I'm afraid that it won't. It will have the very same coverage as your cell phone. Nevertheless, I don't know of a better device. I love it, but battery life would be a problem should the puppy get lost for more than several hours [ stephen Jun 21, 2018 ]
No. The service is provided through the AT&T cellular network. You can select one of the following plans: Monthly: $9.95 per month, billed every month 1 Year (20% savings): $7.95 per month (average), billed once a year ($95.40) 2 Years (30% savings): $6.95 per month (average), billed once every two years ($166.80). You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the smart collar's main webpage. [ Ryan Mar 17, 2018 ] Staff
This kit includes a leather collar. HTH! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Dec 18, 2017 ] Staff
Yes. Each collar requires a service plan. [ Ryan Jun 29, 2018 ] Staff
Yes, you have to get a subscription through AT&T so the collar can communicate with the application and transmit GPS data. I paid $166.00 for a 2-year subscription. [ Oscar Mar 08, 2018 ]