USB 2.0 recording interface
From Steinberg: UR44 USB Audio Interface
Our take on the Steinberg UR44 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Go solo or bring in the band
Sometimes, you want to invite the whole band over to record. Other times, you may prefer to play all the parts yourself. You can do either with the Steinberg UR44 interface, developed in conjunction with Yamaha — Steinberg's parent company. Six inputs offer flexibility, including direct inputs for guitars and keyboards as well as microphones. Add reverb to your singer's monitor mix and give your guitar player a killer tone with DSP monitoring effects that won't introduce audible latency. Mix and record using Steinberg's popular Cubase AI digital audio workstation — it even integrates with the interface, for seamless workflow that allows you to spend less time configuring signal routing and more time playing and mixing.
Plug instruments and microphones directly into the UR44 interface for recording with your computer using the included Cubase AI digital audio workstation software.
Six-input, four-output recording
The UR44 has four pro-quality Yamaha D-PRE mic preamps, for low-noise, low-distortion sound that remains clean even with high input levels. There are four front-panel Neutrik combination inputs — two XLR/hi-Z and two XLR/TRS, so you can connect the right mix of mic, instrument, and line-level sources. There are also rear-panel MIDI connections as well as two additional 1/4" TRS inputs. Six TRS outputs allow you to route signals to as many as two pairs of stereo monitors at once. Dual headphones outputs let you serve up discrete headphone mixes, so your singer doesn't have to hear any guitar and your guitar player doesn't have to hear your singer.
The Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip plug-in lets you apply compression and EQ to your monitor mix for low-latency effects.
Don't let latency wreck your session
Make sure adding effects to monitor mixes won't grind your session to a halt. The UR44 features Steinberg's dspMixFx, which gives you complete control of your monitor mixes while keeping latency to an absolute minimum. Steinberg's Sweet Spot Morphing offers compression and three-band parametric EQ combined into a single channel strip plug-in. REV-X lets you add the reverb vocalists love. Guitar players can dial in their tone using Guitar Amp Classics when they plug directly into this interface. You can even apply these effects to your recordings in your DAW.
Includes Cubase AI recording software
If you know anything about computer music production, Cubase is probably a familiar name. Cubase AI recording software is included with the UR44 interface. You don't have to use it as your DAW with this interface, but there are some big advantages. The UR44's built-in mixer is designed to integrate with Cubase, so you can configure your monitor mixes and signal routings in Cubase. This means you don't have to set them up in dspMixFx first, saving you time and improving your workflow efficiency.
- 6-input, 4-output computer audio interface
- 4 Yamaha D-PRE discrete Class A mic preamps with 48V phantom power offer warm, clean sound even at high input levels
- accepts mic, instrument, line-level, and MIDI signals
- built-in dspMixFx software offers low-latency monitoring with effects
- includes REV-X reverb, Sweet Spot Morphing (compression and EQ), and Guitar Amp Classics plug-ins (DSP and VST versions for monitoring and recording)
- includes Cubase AI digital recording software
- allows connection to an iPad for recording with Apple's Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- 2 front-panel XLR/high-Z inputs for use with microphones, electric guitars and basses
- 2 front-panel XLR/line inputs for use with microphones, keyboards, and other line-level instruments
- 2 rear-panel TRS balanced inputs for use keyboards and other line-level sources
- six 1/4" balanced analog outputs for connecting powered studio monitors, mixing boards, or effects processors (only four signals can be output at once)
- MIDI input/output for use with an external controller
- two 1/4" headphone outputs with independent volume control for discrete monitor mixes
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
- 24-bit analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion with sampling rates of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz
- full integration of DSP mixing and input/output routing in Cubase for streamlined workflow
- loopback feature returns signals back to the computer for live Internet streaming
- peak indicators for all 6 analog inputs
- USB and power cables included (no bus power)
- system requirements: USB 2.0 port; Windows 7, Windows 8, or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later; Intel or AMD dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 4GB of free hard drive space, CD-ROM drive or Internet connection for software installation
- 9-15/16"W x 1-7/8"H x 6-1/4"D
- weight: 3.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- USB audio interface
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 5.5' AC power cord
- 6.5' USB type-B to USB type-A cable
- Ferrite core
- 4 Rubber feet
- Installation CD-ROM
- "Getting Started" booklet
- CUBASE AI Download Information
- Essential Product License Information
USB/MIDI Interface: The UR44 is a powerful audio/MIDI interface designed to suit a huge range of recording and production situations. Four mic preamps, six inputs, four output channels, MIDI I/O ports, onboard DSP power and full iPad connectivity offer an outstandingly flexible feature set.
Flexible Combination of Inputs & Outputs: The UR44 is unique in its combination of input and output capabilities, stellar component quality and portability. Four Neutrik analog combo inputs with peak LEDs and switchable +48 V phantom power provide inputs for everything from an electric guitar through line-level audio equipment to boutique condenser microphones. Switchable Hi-Z support means no additional DI box is required to hook up your electric guitar or bass. Two additional line inputs allow connection of an extra audio source in combination with four mic preamps giving you a total of six input channels; that's enough to handle a huge range of recording situations
Rugged Chassis: Built to the most exacting standards by Yamaha's experienced engineers, the UR44's full-metal chassis is reassuringly solid.
Cubase AI Included: Based on the same core technologies as the popular Cubase DAW, Cubase AI offers an intuitive feature set for composing, recording, editing and mixing.
- True Integrated Monitoring: When using Cubase, all the advanced monitoring capabilities are fully integrated into the application's GUI by True Integrated Monitoring technology. All aspects of I/O handling and DSP management are handled directly from within Cubase. Cubase automatically embeds your device into the Cubase production environment and manages all audio streams with perfect sync, allowing for a highly efficient workflow that boosts productivity to new levels. Plus, the URs feature direct integration into Cubase with dedicated windows and views that only appear when they are connected, providing full control of the hardware's functionality from within Cubase itself.
- Loopback Function: For easy live streaming of performances to the internet, the Loopback function consolidates all playback tracks and input channels and routes the mix to your internet streaming software. This function is often used by hosts of internet live streaming programs. When the function is active, incoming audio signals such as microphone, guitar or line source will be merged to the playback signal from an audio playback software like Cubase or other DAWs inside the computer. The merged signal will then be send back to the computer for streaming.
Note: The UR44 is also compatible with all major audio editing, mastering, and music production software supporting ASIO, Core Audio, or WDM standard.
iPad Connectivity + dspMixFx App: With the latest firmware updates, the UR44 introduces iPad connectivity (using Apple's iPad Camera Kit) and the free dspMixFx app alongside some other new features. Together with the UR44, the dspMixFx app allows you to utilize the benefits of Yamaha's custom-designed SSP2 DSP chip directly on your iPad. The dspMixFx app provides latency-free monitoring while running the highly acclaimed REV-X reverb, the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip and Guitar Amp Classics with other iOS audio apps.
- Guitar Amp Classics: Guitar Amp Classics make extensive use of advanced Yamaha modeling technology. Four amp types with completely different sonic characteristics are provided, CLEAN, CRUNCH, DRIVE and LEAD. Best of all, you get a DSP-powered version and a VST 3 version of Guitar Amp Classics. So you can record the dry signal with your favorite amp sound without any latency using the DSP version. Once you're done, you can re-amp the recorded track with the VST 3 version.
- Sweet Spot Morphing: The Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip consists of a sidechain-enabled compressor and a three-band parametric equalizer. Both EQ and compressor were developed to attain a highly musical sound. Its featured morph knob smoothly allows you to morph through both EQ and compression settings in combination in order for you to come up with the ideal sound very quickly just by using one single control element.
- REV-X Reverb: The REV-X built into the UR44 is a complex reverb algorithm developed by Yamaha. Renowned for its high density, richly reverberant sound quality, with smooth attenuation, spread and depth that work together to enhance the original sound, the REV-X features three types of reverb effects: Hall, Room and Plate simulations with reverb time and level control.
Applications: With its unique balance of portability and I/O capability, the UR44 may be among the most flexible devices of its kind available today. Four mic preamps, a total of six input channels, two headphone outputs, a MIDI port, iPad connectivity and four output channels mean that you're equipped to handle a huge range of recording and production scenarios - recording live performances, producing in studio quality at home or in a hotel room, pre-production for your next album in your rehearsal space, or playing back audio backing tracks on stage.
- All-Purpose Solution: Musicians today often find themselves in several different roles: today you might be recording your band in a rehearsal room, tomorrow helping out on a friend's album production or DJing at a live venue or club; the week after you might need an interface to playback audio backing tracks for a live gig or spend a Sunday afternoon finally getting around to setting up that home studio. Or you might need a portable interface for your hotel room to record that idea that's been bouncing around in your head all day while on tour. The perfect balance between I/O capability, portability, outstanding audio quality and seamless handling throughout makes the UR44 the ideal interface for the modern multi-role musician.
- Project Studios: While smaller project studios might not need a huge analog desk or dozens of inputs, they do require outstanding audio quality and the ability to record a wide range of musicians, vocalists and other audio sources. Phantom power for highest quality condenser mics is just as important as a feature as the ability to connect several pairs of monitors for A/B-ing mixes on different speaker combinations. Need to quickly record guitar to add to your score or song? Just plug in a guitar to a Hi-Z input and record your guitar with DSP FX and no latency. Record all your digital instruments and connect MIDI controller keyboards to completely integrate all your gear in one compact, portable interface.
- Live Bands: These days many bands and groups augment their live music with pre-produced backing tracks, perhaps even using MIDI to trigger additional equipment like stage lighting. The UR44 offers an ultra-flexible and reliable portable solution for bands and live musicians. Independent headphone outputs with individual volume control mean playback mixes are readily available for one band member in charge of cueing the next song, while four individual line outputs mean up to two separate stereo mixes for the FOH mixer and musicians on stage. The MIDI I/O can feed lighting equipment with MIDI events synced to the song playing back. And with ultra-stable drivers, a rugged metal case and a sturdy AC adapter that guarantees a stable electrical supply, the UR44 is ideally suited to live bands and performers.
- Mobile Recording: With its stable driver technology, quality components and four first-class mic preamps, the UR44 offers all the functionality needed to record live performances at smaller, more intimate venues or compact rehearsal rooms, or even to record larger groups or vocal ensembles with a few well-placed, high-quality mics. The combination of a portable interface that can fit in a shoulder bag with first-class hardware and software components like the acclaimed D-PRE mic preamps and the ultra-stable drivers makes the UR44 perfectly suited for many mobile recording.
System Requirements: The minimum system requirements state the minimal specification your computer must have to be able to use the software.
|Windows 7 / Windows 8||Mac OS X 10.7 / 10.8|
|Intel or AMD dual core CPU||Intel dual core CPU|
|4GB of free HD space|
|Display resolution of 1280 x 800 recommended|
|DVD-ROM dual-layer drive|
|USB 2.0/3.0 port|
|Internet connection required for installation, activation, account setup and personal / product registration. To complete the Cubase AI installation, a download of approximately 500 MB is required|
Note: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software program required when connecting the UR44 to a computer. Make sure to install it before initially using the device. Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is a software program that allows communication between the device and a computer.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
ability to mix live with app and use as recording interface [ RAYMOND May 05, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get more connections, expandability, and better sound quality
The Steinberg UR824 offers these features:
computer audio interface with 24 input and 24 output channels, including 8 Yamaha D-PRE mic preamps
2 ADAT-compatible optical digital inputs/outputs for connection to external mic preamps
eight 1/4" balanced analog outputs
word clock in/out and JetPLL circuitry for precise digital synchronization and minimal jitter