Russound CAA66 Controller Kit
Multi-room controller amplifier with six in-wall keypads and remote
Our take on the Russound CAA66 Controller Kit by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Music anywhere you want it
Enjoy music throughout your home with Russound's CAA66 multi-room music system. This package lets you connect as many as six audio sources, like Internet music streamers, CD changers, audio/video receivers, and satellite radio tuners, and listen to them in six different areas of your house. Play classical music in the upstairs bedroom, salsa in the kitchen, rock in the living room, and jazz on the patio. Or play the same source simultaneously throughout the house.
In-wall keypads let you run the show
This system includes six keypads that let you control playback in your different listening rooms. You get pushbutton controls for power, source selection, volume, bass, treble, and balance. The keypads also feature a built-in IR (infrared) sensor, so you can use the included wireless remote to control playback from across the room. The remote allows you to turn the entire system on or off with the press of a button, and you can program it to operate your audio source components.
Want to listen to your music in more than six rooms? By adding extra controller/amplifiers, keypads, and optional hardware, you can distribute music in up to 36 areas of your home.
Standard "single-gang" junction boxes and Decora-style wall plates needed for installation of keypads.
- distributes music from up to six sources to as many as six listening areas in your home
- system includes: one CAA66 controller/amplifier, six KP6 in-wall keypads, and one SRC1 system remote control
- recommended accessories for installation: Decora-style wall plates, in-wall speaker wire and CAT-5 or CAT-5e cable
- expandable up to 36 zones with additional components and keypads
- 6 RCA stereo inputs for connecting source components
- 6 pairs of speaker connectors
- 20 watts RMS per channel x 12 into 8 ohms
- 6 RJ-45 ports connect to in-wall keypads using CAT-5 or CAT-5e cable
- RS-232 port for integrating a third-party home automation system
- 6 IR outputs (2 dual infrared emitters included)
- audio line outputs (switchable fixed/variable) for connecting external amplifiers or local audio systems in zones 1 and 2
- mute trigger allows you to connect an external paging system or doorbell
- wireless system remote operates connected audio components through IR sensor on system keypads
- 17"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
CAA66 KP6 Keypad:
- easy-to-use buttons for simple multiroom operation
- backlit with amber illumination
- controls power, source selection, volume, bass, treble, and balance
- installs in wall in a single-gang electrical box
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Controller-Amplifier (CAA66)
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (URSC)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Six 8' IR emitters (845.1)
- 6 Keypads (KP6)
- 6 White keypad control covers (installed on keypad)
- 6 Bone keypad control covers
- 12 Foam gaskets (6 installed on keypads) 12 Keypad screws
- 2 Rack-mount ears
- 8 Rack-mount screws
- Punchdown tool
- 18 Self-adhesive pads
- 20 Source labels
- Installation Manual
- Remote Control Manual
- Keypad Instructions
I purchased this Russound kit upon the advise of Russound and Crutchfield based on the Russound keypads installed in my new-to-me house. Installation was a breeze and works as expected. Thanks!
Chester, Vienna, VA
Russound CAA66 Controller Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Controller Amplifier System Kit: The Russound CAA66K is a multiroom control and amplifier system. This system kit includes a CAA66 Controller-Amplifier, six KP6 keypads, a universal remote (USRC), and six 845.1 emitters. The CAA66 caters to homeowners who want more control over their multiroom systems with such capabilities as infrared (IR) tools to manage the system from anywhere in the house. More source inputs, simplified programming and user adjustable sound controls make listening to music throughout the home easier than ever.
Note: The CAA66K cannot be used in conjunction with Russound's CAS44 systems.
Six Source/Six Zones: The Russound CAA66K allows you to connect up to six sources and deliver these sources to any one of six zones for sharing music throughout the home. The CAA66K system supports up to 36 zones by connecting multiple CAA66 units (sold separately), to make whole-house audio available to larger homes.
Controller-Amplifier (CAA66): At the heart of the Russound CAA66K multiroom audio system is the CAA66 controller-amplifier. It can deliver music from any of six sources to six different zones. The ultra-efficient Class D amplifier outputs 20-watts x 12-channels into 8-ohms. You can control the source components from any zone by a single common infrared (IR) emitter and individual emitters routed to each component or from the six external keypads connected via CAT-5.
- Six Stereo RCA Inputs: The CAA66 supports up to six audio sources via its six stereo analog RCA input jacks on the rear-panel.
- Seven IR Ports: Each source component has a designated IR port (3.5mm) on the back of the CAA66 to plug in the included six IR emitters. There is also a Common IR jack on the rear of the CAA66 which allows control of any source equipment without that source being selected on the keypad.
- Six Keypad Ports: The six Keypad Ports are located on the back of the CAA66. Connections at the Keypad Ports are made with RJ-45 connectors using T568A CAT-5 wire configuration.
- Six Pair of Speaker Terminals: Up to six pair of speakers can be connected to the CAA66 using the modular snap connectors on back of the unit. An 8-hm minimum speaker is required for each amplified output. Each of these color-coded connectors is designated for the speaker set of a particular amplified zone. Standard 16-gauge/4-conductor stranded speaker wire can be run up to 125', while 14-gauge/4-conductor wire can be run up to 250'.
- Fixed/Variable Audio Outputs: The CAA66 has two line Audio outputs, on Zone 1 and Zone 2. Each of these zone audio output connections features a stereo line out RCA connection plus a switch to allow for either a fixed or a variable line level output.
- Controller Link In/Out: The Controller Link In and Link Out can be used to connect up to six CAA66 controllers. The connection is made using a CAT-5 patch cable from the Link Out of the master CAA66 and into the Link In of the next controller. Along with data signals, the Controller Link In and Link Out jack passes the six source IR signals.
Keypads (KP6): The CAA66K multiroom control and amplifier system comes with six of Russound's KP6 Keypads. These keypads give you simple control of the CAA66K multiroom system throughout your home. It includes 20 source labels to easily identify each system source, from a CD player to an iPod. The keypad also indicates volume and receives IR commands from a remote control. You can adjust the bass, treble, balance, loudness and volume directly from each keypad to personalize the sound in the zone. For added convenience, you can turn the whole system off at any keypad.
- Each keypad will install into a single-gang electrical work box (sold separately at most hardware stores). You'll need to use a UL/CSA approved plastic single-gang (18 ci) electrical box. Decorative cover plates not included (sold separately at most hardware stores).
- The keypads connect to the CAA66 controller-amplifier via CAT-5 cable. The maximum recommended wire run length is 250' for each keypad. Each keypad uses a 110-punchdown terminal on the back panel to provide simple installation and a strong connection for CAT-5 cable's eight conductors.
Note: The CAA66K system will also support Russound's KPL Keypad with LCD (543KPL, sold separately).
Remote Control (USRC): The included universal remote control (URSC) operates any of the programmed system sources and up to three local devices such as a TV or home theater receiver. The USRC also includes a large library of IR device codes (compatible with most manufacturers' products) for simplified system setup. It also has command learning capability for other devices and unique functions. With an easy to use layout of commonly used source control buttons to quickly access music, the USRC is an ideal option for system control.
- Page Up/ Page Down keys along with standard cursor keys support on-screen menu navigation.
- Discrete source keys allow selection of sources on the Russound systems without needing to scroll through a list.
IR Emitters (845.1): The CAA66K multiroom control and amplifier system comes with six IR emitters. The emitters plug into the back of the CAA66 and then get placed over your source component's IR window.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port enables integration with home control or home security system, allowing a valuable addition to any automated home.
12V Triggers: The CAA66K multiroom system is fitted with 12V trigger input and output.
- Mute Input: When 12 volts DC is applied to this 3.5mm minijack the system will mute the speakers in all four zones; this might connect to a doorbell or paging system.
- Output: When any zone is turned on 12 volts DC is output from this 3.5mm minijack; this can trigger an external amp or source component to turn on. The output is turned off 5 minutes after the last zone is turned off.
Programming Center: The CAA66K and its connected sources are configured through the Programming Center, located on the front of the CAA66 behind the removable lower panel. The LEDs are dual purpose with different colors to indicate different modes. The CAA66 has two main programming modes - Controller Setup Mode and Source Setup Mode.
Mounting Options: The CAA66 controller-amplifier can be simply placed on a flat table-top surface. The unit can also be rack-mounted using the included hardware.
Power Requirements: It is recommended that the CAA66 and the source equipment be plugged into a dedicated 20-amp circuit with an isolated ground. A power line conditioner can reduce interference problems caused by noise found in some electrical systems.
Tools Needed For Installation:
- Drill with a 1/2" x 6" drill bit
- Keyhole saw
- Flat head screwdriver (medium size)
- Phillips Screwdriver (cordless recommended)
- 110 punchdown tool (included)
- Modular RJ-45 crimper and connectors
- Pair of diagonal cutters or wire strippers
- Stud finder
- Steel wire fish tape
- Cable staples
- Single-gang electrical work boxes
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I purchased a house that had existing Russound Uno 2 keypads in them. [ Jason Oct 27, 2018 ]
specified by A/V installer to replace out of date SpeakerCraft amplifiers and key pads [ Bernie Nov 25, 2017 ]
I had been considering Russound for my audio equipment, and it was one that the sales rep suggested, when he heard of my needs for my household. [ DONALD Nov 22, 2017 ]
8 questions already asked
No low-power mode of which I'm aware. If all the controllers are off, then the unit isn't consuming the watts that it would during use with all 6 on. However, I have never bothered to measure -- for $20 you can buy a kill-a-watt and actually see real-time how much the system is consuming, but I'd guess it's less than 50W in non-use mode. [ Christopher May 02, 2018 ]
The unit has the ability to feed in 6 different inputs. The user gets to specify which of the 6 inputs is fed to each of the outputs (speaker pairs). Whether you have 1, 2, or all 6 inputs wired, you can select any of those for each of the controllers. So theoretically, if you have 6 rooms with these controllers & speakers, you could have a different sound source playing in each of the 6 rooms. Or, have all 6 rooms select one sound source. It's really easy & very easy to set up -- IF it's new construction. I wouldn't recommend this for a retrofit -- too much hard wiring required. [ Christopher Dec 17, 2017 ]
Yes you can [ OLATUNBOSUN Jul 10, 2017 ]
Don't think so. Mine requires one keypad per zone. [ LEE Jul 09, 2017 ]
I'm afraid the Russound CAA66 doesn't offer any "network" connectivity for app-based controls. If you'd like to explore something that would work along those lines, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Larry May 08, 2017 ] Staff
Yes, the faceplates that surround the in-wall controls can be removed and replaced with decorative or multi-gang wall plates (sold separately at most hardware stores). I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan May 18, 2016 ] Staff
2 answers I have wired for a system like this with just cat 5 to controllers and speaker wire to all speakers. They all run to a home place where the amplifier will be. My question is I have two zones that each have six speakers-exterior, 3 zones with 2 speakers-interior, and one zone with 4 speakers-interior . Will this system have enough power to run my system and is it setup for the way I have it wired? [ HR Jan 08, 2016 ]
Yes, [ OLATUNBOSUN Jul 10, 2017 ]
This system can be expended to work with a lot of speakers in different configurations. I recommend calling an A/V Design Expert on 800-653-1007 to discuss the specifics of your system. [ Paul Jan 11, 2016 ] Staff
2 answers I also have an existing system (a Speakercraft MZC-66 with keypads) that has stopped working. I think it's the same set-up as this; each keypad has a run back to the closet with Cat-5 and the speakers run back to the same closet with speaker wire. Can you assume with me that this system would work in its place? And can a customer program their own device? I bought all the equipment to program my Speakercraft because my installer passed away (sad) and nobody in my town could help me. It has been very time-consuming and irritating! And Speakercraft's tech support is awful to customers!!!! [ Tryinghard Sep 25, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Yes the Russound system uses the same wiring technique. You should be able to program the system without any special gear. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 29, 2015 ] Staff
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question, and have escalated it to an Advisor. We will post the answer as soon as we have it. If you need immediate assistance please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 28, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Speaker wire runs from the Russound CAA66 directly to the speakers. The speaker wire does not loop through the keypad. Onky Cat-5 or Cat-6 wire is needed at the keypad location. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy May 05, 2015 ] Staff