Sony Alpha a5100 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens and Wi-Fi® (Black)
Item # 158E5100LK | MFR # ILCE5100L/B
Instant Savings: -$100.00
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony Alpha a5100 Kit by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Sony Alpha ILCE-5100 lets you share photos and videos easily via Near Field Communication (NFC) and Wi-Fi.
Fast, accurate and compact
The Sony Alpha a5100 combines a compact, mirrorless design with some top-notch features you might expect from a much heavier DSLR. The camera's ultra-fast 0.07-second Auto Focus (AF) speed and wide-area 179-point phase-detection AF sensor make it possible for you to find a moving subject, focus on it quickly, and follow it wherever it goes. Then you can snap away at up to 6 frames per second. You'll never miss a dramatic shot again.
Take your selfie game to the next level
When you're on vacation, taking photos, you don't want to be an afterthought stuck behind the camera the whole time. This camera gets you in on the action with a tilting touchscreen that lets you line up a perfect shot even when you're in the shot. A new zoom lever on the body of the camera allows for effortless one-handed operation and smooth zooming even when you're on the other side of the camera. You can customize the camera to your specifications with PlayMemories Camera Apps™ and add effects and filters before you upload your creation to social media via built-in NFC or Wi-Fi.
A low-light champ
The a5100 incorporates an Exmor® CMOS sensor and BIONZ® X processor, so you get stunning detail in low light from ISO range 100-25000. There's also a built-in pop-up flash for those times when you need a little extra light on the subject.
And a great lens included
The included Sony Alpha SEL-P1650 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 retractable lens gives you the flexibility you might expect from a traditional kit zoom lens — in a form that extends barely 3/16" out from the camera's front surface when fully retracted. It's lightweight as well, weighing in at a scant 4.1 ounces. It's a perfect starter lens to go with a dynamite camera.
- 24.3-megapixel CMOS sensor records highly-detailed images
- Wi-Fi connectivity and easy NFC (Near Field Communication) pairing with compatible smart devices
- ultra-fast, accurate autofocus with 179 AF points
- compatible with Sony E-mount lenses
- up to ISO 25600 sensitivity for superior low-light imaging
- 3" high-resolution (921,600-dot) tilting LCD touchscreen
- full HD 1080/60p video
- zoom lever on the body of the camera allows for effortless one-handed operation and smooth zooming
- built-in flash
- compatible with downloadable PlayMemories Camera Apps™ that help shoot, share and save photos using Wi-Fi
- up to 6 frames per second for shooting continuous action
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- rechargeable NP-FW50 battery included
- make external connections to computers and monitors with included micro USB cable
Included Sony Alpha SEL-P1650 Lens:
- ideal for portraits and everyday shooting
- optical SteadyShot image stabilization counteracts the effects of camera shake for more blur-free pictures
- minimum aperture: f/22 (W) - f/36 (T)
- attachment/filter size: 40.5mm
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 4-3/8"W x 2-1/2"H x 2-7/8"D
- weight: 12 oz. (with lens attached)
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- SELP1650 16-50mm lens (installed)
- 40.5mm Lens cap (installed)
- NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1020mAh 7.3Wh)
- AC-UB10D AC adapter (DC output: 5V 0.5A)
- 23.5" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Neck Strap
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-Touch (NFC) Guide (Eng/Fren)
- Updating the Camera Lens Software booklet
- Product registration sheet (US/Can)
- Lenses & Accessories brochure
Great camera the buttons take some getting use to. If I'm not mistaken there is no user Manual in the kit but you can easily download one. Great pictures, SO much lighter to carry around than a DSLR. Love the camera
Sony Alpha a5100 Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-75mm|
Memory Stick XC-HG Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Image Stabilization||With included lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Package Contents: The Sony ILCE-5100L kit contains the α (alpha series) α5100 interchangeable lens digital camera and the SELP1650 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount zoom lens. The package also includes a rechargeable battery, AC adapter/charger, and adjustable neck strap.
Lens Compatibility: The α5100 is compatible with Sony's E-mount series of smaller, lighter lenses. With the optional LA-EA4 lens adapter, Sony α (alpha) A-mount lenses can be used with this camera.
3" Flip-up LCD Touch Screen: The α5100 uses a 3" LCD touch screen with 921,600 dots and approximately 100% coverage. The screen flips up 180° to frame low-angle shots and self-portraits. The electrostatic touch panel lets you operate the camera intuitively by touching the screen or sliding your finger across the screen. The Touch Shutter function lets you focus on and take a picture of your subject by simply touching the subject on the LCD screen.
Built-in Flash: The camera has a built-in flash with a guide number of 4 (meters, ISO 100). It covers an area equivalent to a 16mm lens, and recycles in approximately 3 seconds. The Red-eye Reduction feature fires a pre-flash to help prevent red-eyes in your subject. When the flash is activated, you can select one of the following flash modes:
- Auto Flash: The flash automatically fires if it is dark or against light.
- Fill-Flash: The flash fires every time the shutter is released.
- Slow Sync: Allows you to shoot a clear image of both the subject and the background by slowing the shutter speed.
- Rear Sync: Objects illuminated by other light sources are captured first, then the flash is fired right before the exposure is completed.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
APS-C-sized HD Image Sensor: The α5100 features an APS-C sized Exmor CMOS image sensor (23.5 x 15.6mm). It has approximately 24.7-million total pixels and 24.3-million effective pixels.
Image Sizes: You can record still images in a 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio in JPEG (with Fine and Standard compression), RAW (uncompressed images), or RAW + JPEG (two images--one uncompressed and one compressed--are recorded simultaneously). The image sizes include:
|3:2||Large: 24M||6000 x 4000|
|Medium: 12M||4240 x 2832|
|Small: 6M||3008 x 2000|
|RAW Large: 24M||6000 x 4000|
|16:9||Large: 20M||6000 x 3376|
|Medium: 10M||4240 x 2400|
|Small: 5.1M||3008 x 1688|
|RAW Large: 20M||6000 x 3376|
Movie Recording: The α5100 can record moving images in broadcast-quality XAVC S (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with 2-channel LPCM audio) with its high 50MB/s bitrate, AVCHD Ver. 2.0 format with Blu-ray quality(MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with Dolby Digital 2ch audio) or MP4 for uploading to your favorite websites (MPEG-4/H.264 with 2-channel AAC audio). You can choose from the following file formats and bit rates:
|File Format||Average Bit Rate||Resolution|
|XAVC S 60p 50M||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|XAVC S 30P 50M||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (30p)|
|XAVC S 24P 50M||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|AVCHD 60p 28M (PS)||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|AVCHD 60i 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 60i 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 24p 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|AVCHD 24p 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|MP4 1440 x 1080 12M||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080 (30fps)|
|MP4 VGA 3M||3 Mbps||640 x 480 (30fps)|
Dual Media Options: The α5100 accepts two types of media for capturing still images: Memory Stick XC-HG Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo (including Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo), plus SD, SDHC, and SDXC (UHS-I compliant) Memory Cards. The camera is also compatible with Eye-Fi cards, which can upload images from the memory card wirelessly to your computer via Wi-Fi. Images recorded on Memory Stick XC-HG Duo and SDXC cards cannot be imported to or played on computers or AV devices that are not compatible with exFAT.
Wireless Functions: The α5100 has built-in Wi-Fi capability, allowing you to connect the camera to your smartphone or tablet, using the PlayMemories Mobile app. Compatible devices must have Android 2.3 and later or iOS 4.3 and later. Some of the available wireless functions include:
- NFC: The camera can wirelessly connect to compatible Android smartphones (requires Android 4.0 and later) and tablets via NFC (Near Field Communication). By simply touching your camera to the smart device, you can easily transfer images and control the camera remotely.
- Smart Remote Control: You can remotely control the camera's shutter release wirelessly from your mobile device.
- Direct Upload: You can upload you photos and movies wirelessly from the camera to your smartphone or tablet. From there, they can be shared via email or your favorite social media site.
- PlayMemories Camera Apps: You can add new functions to your camera through various PlayMemories apps, including time-lapse photography and portrait lighting.
- View on TV: You can view images on a network-enabled TV by transferring them from the product without connecting to the TV with a cable.
Optical SteadyShot: Optical SteadyShot is built into most of the E-mount lenses, including the supplied 16-50mm lens. When a SteadyShot-equipped lens is attached to the camera, you can turn on the SteadyShot feature to reduce the effects of camera shake. You cannot set Steady Shot when an A-mount lens is attached via an LA-EA adapter.
Hybrid AF System: The α5100's high-performance ultra-fast auto focus system uses a wide-area 179-point phase-detection sensor and a 25-point contrast-detection sensor to give you accurate focusing in approximately 0.07 seconds, and continuous shooting up to 6 frames per second.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking--shoots one still image.
- Continuous Shooting: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously. You can select low speed (maximum up to 3 frames per second) or high speed (up to 6 fps). The maximum number of frames you can shoot continuously is 56 (JPEG Fine), 75 (JPEG Standard), 23 (RAW), and 22 (RAW+JPEG).
You can set the camera to two different self-timers:
- 10 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 10 seconds later. This is convenient when the photographer wants to appear in a photo.
- 2 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 2 seconds later. This is convenient to reduce camera-shake.
- Self-timer Continuous: After you press the shutter button, the camera will continuously take 3 or 5 images after a 10-second pause.
- Bracket (Continuous): The camera can shoot three continuous images with the exposures shifted automatically. This setting shoots images continuously with exposure value shifted by plus or minus 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, or 3.0 EV.
- Bracket (Single): Like continuous bracket above, except photos are taken one-by-one, each with different degree of brightness.
- Bracket (WB): Shoots three images, each with a different color tone, according to the selected settings for white balance, color temperature, and color filter.
- Bracket (DRO): Shoots a total of three images, each at a different degree of D-Range Optimizer.
Exposure Modes: The camera offers the following exposure modes:
- Intelligent Auto: The camera analyses the subject, and allows you to shoot with appropriate settings. It recognizes and automatically switches to Night Scene, Tripod Night Scene, Night Portrait, Backlight, Backlight Portrait, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Spotlight, Low Brightness or Baby.
- Superior Auto: The camera automatically recognizes and evaluates the shooting conditions and sets the appropriate settings automatically. The recognized scenes are the same, but the range of shooting functions is wider than those of Intelligent Auto. This mode also performs Auto HDR and chooses the best image.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, and Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, and Anti-Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: You can create a panoramic image from
composed images. To shoot, pan the camera horizontally or vertically while
holding down the shutter button. You can select from the following panorama
- Standard: Vertical--3872 x 2160; Horizontal--8192 x 1856
- Wide: Vertical--5536 x 2160; Horizontal 12416 x 1856
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- Shutter Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture. With a high shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it is frozen on the image. With a slow shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it were flowing.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed. This mode gives you greater control over the depth of field.
- Program Auto: This mode allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while keeping the custom settings for ISO sensitivity, Creative Style, D-Range optimizer, etc.
Picture Effects: The α5100 allows you to shoot photos with an effect filter to obtain various images. Available effects include: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization Color, Posterization B/W, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Image Layering: In some Scene Selection modes, the camera captures 6 images in a fraction of a second, then combines the data to create a single image. This helps to control blur (Anti-Motion Blur mode) and to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures (Hand-held Twilight mode).
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments (+/-2.0 EV for movies).
Face Detection: When activated, the camera detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, flash exposure, and white balance settings automatically. You can also select the priority face to be focused on, or register the faces on which to automatically focus upon.
Metering Mode: An advanced 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select from the following methods for measuring the brightness of a subject:
- Multi-pattern: Measures light on each area after dividing the total area into multiple areas and determines the proper exposure of the entire screen.
- Center-Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measures the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measures light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options:
- Auto WB: This mode adjusts the white balance automatically.
- Daylight: This mode adjusts for outdoors and sunlit subjects.
- Shade: This mode adjust for shady conditions on a clear day.
- Cloudy: This mode adjust for a cloudy sky.
- Incandescent: This mode adjusts for incandescent lighting.
- Fluorescent: This mode adjusts for fluorescent lighting with separate positions for Warm White, Cool White, Day White, and Daylight.
- Flash: This mode adjusts for flash conditions.
- Underwater: The color temperature is adjusted for underwater shooting.
- Color Temperature: This mode adjusts the white balance depending upon the light source (color temperature). It achieves the effect of color compensation (CC) filters for photography.
- Custom: In a scene where the ambient light consists of multiple types of light sources, use of the custom white balance is recommended in order to accurately reproduce the whiteness.
Creative Style: This camera is pre-programmed with image styles optimal for various scenes and purposes. For each setting, you can adjust the contrast, saturation, and sharpness. You can choose from the following settings: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Sepia, and Black & White.
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually or automatically between ISO 100 and ISO 25600 in 1/3 EV steps with selectable lower and upper limits. For movies, values between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 are available.
Noise Reduction: The camera offers Long Exposure and High ISO Noise Reduction (NR) to automatically reduce the grainy noise found in photos during long exposures or high ISO settings.
Optics: The Sony SELP1650 (E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS) retractable zoom lens is compatible with the Sony α NEX-series interchangeable lens cameras. The lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-75mm, and is recommended for a wide variety of photos, from snapshots to portraits.
Power Zoom: The SELP1650 is the first α- (alpha) series lens with an electrically-driven zoom mechanism. When the camera is powered on, the lens extends approximately 7/8", and becomes instantly ready for shooting. The lens retracts approximately 5 seconds after the camera is powered off. You can zoom in and out by sliding the zoom lever up or down. You can also control the power zoom by turning the zoom/focus ring when the camera is in Auto Focus mode.
Note: The zoom/focus ring adjusts the focus when the camera is in Manual Focus mode.
Optical SteadyShot (OSS): Equipped with Optical SteadyShot (OSS), the lens compensates for blur caused by camera shake for normal handheld photography. OSS also reduces the reliance on high ISO settings when shooting in dark environments, which greatly enhances the effectiveness of the Hand-held Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur shooting modes. Optical SteadyShot gives you a 4-stop shutter speed advantage when activated.
Focusing: The lens can be used with the NEX-series cameras in the auto-focus, Direct Manual Focus, or manual focus modes. You can switch between focusing modes in the camera menu.
Dimensions: The lens has the following dimensions: Diameter=2.568", Length=1.405" (1.828"w/caps)
|Lens||E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS|
|Angle of View||83-32°|
|Lens Construction||9 elements in 8 groups |
(1 ED and 4 aspheric elements)
7-blade Circular aperture
|Minimum Focus||9.84" (W) 12" (T)|
|Aperture||F3.5-5.6 maximum |
Playback Options: You can view images on the LCD monitor with 3 options: with recording data displayed, without recording data, or histogram display.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show. During Index View mode, you can view 12 or 30 images at once. You can adjust the Slide Show mode interval from 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
Image Enlargement: During single image playback you can enlarge an entire image or a select area of an image, depending upon the image size. Small images can be enlarged up to 8.3x, Medium images to 11.8x, and Large images up to 16.7x. Once you have enlarged the image, you can pan around the image to view the desired portion.
Rotating Images: Images can be rotated counter-clockwise 360-degrees on the camera's LCD monitor during single image playback.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo printing shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the downloadable "Picture Motion Browser" software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The α5100 is powered by the NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (supplied). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. Stamina Battery power allows you to take up to 400 images, or record movies continuously for up to 100 minutes (75 min typically) with a fully charged battery.
Charging: The supplied InfoLithium battery requires approximately 5 hours 10 minutes for a full charge, using the supplied AC-UB10D AC adapter and USB cable.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
HDMI Output: The α5100 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to your HDTV, so you can view and share photos in clarity and detail. You can set the HDMI Output resolution to Auto, 1080p, or 1080i. When connected to a Sony BRAVIA TV, you can control the image playback using the TV remote. A micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is not supplied.
Micro USB: The camera is equipped with a Micro USB terminal for charging the camera, and for connecting the camera to your computer. The USB port is Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) compliant for high speed data transfer.
Downloadable Software: No software is included in the box with the α5100. The following Application software can be downloaded from the Sony website (URLs or links to the software can be found in the online Help Guide):
Image Data Converter:
- Compatible with Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1, Mac OS X v10.6-10.9
- Playback and edit images recorded in RAW format with various corrections, such as tone curve and sharpness.
- Adjust images with white balance, exposure, and Creative Style.
- Save as RAW format or save in the general file format.
- Display and compare the RAW images and JPEG images recorded by the camera.
- Rank images in 5 grades.
- Apply color labels.
Remote Camera Control:
- Compatible with Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1, Mac OS X v10.7-10.9
- You can change the camera's settings and shoot photos.
- Record images directly to the computer.
- Perform interval timer shooting
PlayMemories Home / Action Cam Movie Creator:
- Compatible with Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1, Mac OS X v10.7-10.9*
- Import images shot with the camera and display them on the computer.
- Share images using PlayMemories Online.
With Windows, you can also do the following:
- Organize images on the computer on a calendar by shooting date to view them.
- Edit and correct images, such as trimming and resizing.
- Create a Blu-ray disc, AVCHD disc, or DVD-Video disc from AVCHD movies imported to a computer. (You cannot create discs from XAVC S format movies, although they can be imported to computers.)
- Upload images to a network service (internet connection required)
* XAVC S movies may not play back smoothly with Mac OS X.
Wireless Auto Import:
- Compatible with Mac OS X v10.7-10.9 (only with Intel processors; will not operate on Macs with Core Solo/Core Duo processors)
- Required if you are using a Mac computer and want to import images to the computer using Wi-Fi function.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Excellent camera and good value [ Daryl Jun 05, 2018 ]
Hi quality digital camera in a small convenient package [ Afzal May 05, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Sony Alpha a5100 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens and Wi-Fi®
Canon EOS M100 Kit
24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Sony a6000 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens
Canon EOS M6 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®