Metal enclosure for Klipsch Reference Series in-ceiling speakers with 6-1/2" woofers
Our take on the Klipsch ME-650-C by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Enjoy better sound from your Klipsch 6-1/2" Reference Series in-ceiling speakers while protecting them at the same time with Klipsch's ME-650-C speaker enclosure. Constructed from high-grade cold-rolled steel and filled with a layer of insulation, this sturdy enclosure installs behind each speaker in your system to prevent sound from bleeding through the ceiling. Plus, its optimized enclosure volume provides consistent acoustic performance for clear, crisp sound regardless of construction variations.
- metal back-box enclosure for in-ceiling speakers with 6-1/2" woofers (except for square models)
- manufactured from high-grade cold-rolled steel and features a layer of insulation
- reduces sound leaking into adjoining rooms
- optimized enclosure volume provides consistent acoustic performance regardless of construction variations
- exceeds one-hour fire-rating requirements and meets UL2043 requirements for installation in plenum spaces
- tested to meet UL 263, ASTM E119-98, NFPA 251, UBC 7-1, and ULC CAN/ULC-S101 - M89 standards
- fits 16" or 24" joist spans
- includes hardware needed for any installation application and provisions for standard conduit connections
- pre-drilled holes simplify installation and ensure that all safety requirements are met
- speaker cut-out diameter: 8.47"
- overall dimensions: 17-3/4"W x 18"H x 6"D
- warranty: 60 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Metal in-wall speaker enclosure
- Insulation (installed inside of enclosure)
- Installation Wire-clamp
Easy install and boxes have great build quality. Haven't yet installed the speakers but it seems that the boxes will make that much easier.
Christopher, San Francisco, CA
Klipsch ME-650-C Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
In-Ceiling Metal Speaker Enclosure: The ME-650-C in-ceiling metal speaker enclosure allows you and residential contractors to meet building codes as well as diminish the undesirable transfer of sound from one room to the other. Its optimized enclosure volume provides consistent acoustic performance regardless of construction variations. While the insulation exceeds fire requirements, it also reduces the sound transmission into adjacent spaces by at least 10dB.
Compatibility: The ME-650-C metal enclosure is designed to fit all Reference Series in-ceiling speakers with 6.5" woofers. The inside edge of the ME-650-C's mounting ring is color coded to match up with the corresponding Klipsch installation kit size code.
Quality Construction: The ME-650-C is manufactured from high-grade cold-rolled steel and features a layer of insulation. It exceeds the one-hour fire-rating requirements and is designed to meet UL2043 requirements for installation in plenum spaces. This metal device has also been tested to meet UL 263, ASTM E119-98, NFPA 251, UBC 7-1 and ULC CAN/ULC-S101 - M89 standards.
Installation: The ME-650-C fits 16" stud spans and offers provisions for standard conduit connections. Pre-drilled holes simplify the installation process and ensure that all safety requirements are met. Mounting screws not included (sold separately).
- Overall: 17.75" (w) x 18" (h) x 6" (d)
- Cutout: 13.3125" (w) x 16.8125" (h) x 5.5" (d)
- Screw Hole Spacing: 15.125" - 16.6875" (w) x 11" (h)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Dino, the best Advisor on the planet, told me to get these. So, I did. [ Michael Jun 28, 2018 ]
Remodeling house [ Richard Sep 04, 2017 ]
makes installation in an existing ceiling easy [ Kent Dec 29, 2016 ]
Because the building inspector requires fire enclosures in the garage ceiling [ James May 31, 2016 ]
It was recommended by the manufacture and you guys had the best price on the market. [ Frank Apr 15, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
Yes, that is ideal. The square part sits behind drywall, the circular part will need to be cut in the drywall. [ Ryan Jul 02, 2018 ]
Yes, and be sure to run wire before sheetrock, too. [ Michael Jun 30, 2018 ]
Yes. That is how it is intended to be used. [ Michael Jun 30, 2018 ]
Yes, this must be installed before sheetrock. [ Robert Jun 30, 2018 ]
Yes, that's the intention. Sheetrock goes directly over the enclosure without any issues. Using a rotozip to mirror the circular enclosure opening works well. [ jacob Jun 30, 2018 ]
Klipsch recommends the IK-650-C mounting brackets (link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714IK650C/Klipsch-IK-650-C.html?tp=1165) for new construction installations. For existing construction, no other brackets are needed but they recommend pre-drilling the mounting holes to simplify the installation process and ensure that all safety requirements are met. Mounting screws are also not included. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Mar 04, 2016 ] Staff