Wireless loudspeaker system with built-in Wi-Fi® and DTS Play-Fi®
Our take on the McIntosh RS100 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Wireless music with vintage McIntosh performance
McIntosh made their name on superior sound and good old-fashioned craftsmanship, but you don't stick around 60 years without innovation. Enter their RS100 wireless loudspeaker system. This retro-styled speaker meets today's music-listening needs by featuring a multi-room music platform that I'm bullish about — DTS Play-Fi. Play-Fi lets you play music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC and stream tunes from services like Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, and Amazon Prime. Plus, you can add Play-Fi speakers and components to other rooms and create a whole-home audio system.
The high gloss black McIntosh RS100 wireless speaker (grille removed) lets you add wireless music and detailed sound to any room.
What I like most about Play-Fi is the freedom of choice. You can build your multi-room system out of speakers and components from a variety of brands, and control them all with one app. As for the RS100, it's all McIntosh. It only takes one glance at the classic-looking front panel, knobs, and glowing blue meter to see that.
Powerful, detailed McIntosh sound
While the looks are convincing, wait 'til you hear your wireless tunes reproduced with authoritative punch and clarity. A 3/4" titanium dome tweeter provides smooth highs, while a 4" long throw woofer delivers accurate mids and tight bass. Deeper lows are reinforced by a rear-firing port in the solid, distortion-dampening cabinet. If you need more bass, a subwoofer output lets you connect a separate powered sub (not included).
Thanks to Play-Fi, the RS100 offers lossless playback of songs in your digital library. It will even play your high-resolution files, all wirelessly.
Set up and control Play-Fi on your phone, tablet, or laptop
The RS100 connects to your home network via dual internal Wi-Fi antennas, reducing drop-outs and interference. Once you download the free DTS Play-Fi app, you're ready to use the speaker in mere minutes. It's available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows® PC operating systems. Use the app to select music, control playback, and adjust volume.
Mix and match speakers in other rooms
With Play-Fi, you can create a simple yet flexible multi-room audio system. Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple components and speakers or play a different song in every room. Family members can even control speakers independently with their own device.
You can add Play-Fi to your existing stereo with the McIntosh MB50 streaming audio player. And these McIntosh devices will work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers and components, offering more flexibility than other closed systems.
- 2-way bookshelf speaker
- high-gloss black finish with clear acrylic front panel and McIntosh's classic illuminated blue meter
- two built-in drivers:
- one 4" long-throw mid/bass woofer
- one 3/4" titanium dome tweeter
- rear ported cabinet for enhanced bass
- 60 watts total amplification
- frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 85 dB
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- allows speaker to communicate with the McIntosh MB50 and other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- analog RCA mono aux input
- for stereo sources, use a dual female to single male RCA Y-adapter
- USB port for firmware updates
- also compatible with Ethernet-to-USB adapter (sold separately) for a hardwired connection to your home network
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- configure two RS100 speakers for stereo playback
- AC adapter included (must be plugged in to outlet)
- removable magnetic grille covered in black cloth
- 802.11g/n Wi-Fi router required for multi-room streaming
- works with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz routers
- 8-1/4"W x 12-3/4"H x 8"D
- weight: 15 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet and Wi-Fi router
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
Pairs well with the MB50. Allows me to stream the music from my system to other rooms. I will buy more.
Roland, Nashville, TN
McIntosh RS100 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Wireless Active Loudspeaker: The McIntosh RS100 wireless active loudspeaker allows you to easily add streaming music to any room in your home or office. Just connect it to your WiFi network and then stream from your Apple iOS device, Android smartphone/tablet or Windows PC. An auxiliary input is available for non-streaming use.
- Two-Way Speaker Design: The RS100 wireless loudspeaker features one 0.75" titanium tweeter and one 4" woofer with a 2,500Hz crossover. The 0.75" titanium dome tweeter reproduces high frequencies up to 20,000Hz. The tweeter's voice coil is magnetic-fluid cooled for less thermal compression. The 4" cone woofer reproduces low frequencies down to 55Hz. The long-throw woofer has an under hung voice coil in a 1/2" thick top plate, with copper cap for distortion reduction.
- 60 Watt Amplifier: The RS100 utilizes a built-in 60 watt amplifier to power the 0.75" tweeter and 4" woofer for dynamic sound that sounds great at any volume level.
- Bass Reflex Enclosure: The wireless speaker utilize a bass reflex cabinet with a rear firing port for greater efficiency and bigger, deeper bass response. The speaker cabinet is made of durable cast aluminum and finished with high gloss black finish. The speaker cabinet includes a detachable black knit cloth grille. The speaker cabinet is slightly angle upward for better sound dispersion.
Built-In WiFi: The McIntosh RS100 features built-in WiFi to connect to your home's existing wireless WiFi network to give you access to Internet Radio, select online music services, and music libraries on your smartphone/tablet or laptop/computer.
- 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Dual Band 2.4GHz / 5.0 GHz
- WPS (WiFi Protected Setup)
Note: The speaker's USB (type-A) port is used exclusively to connect the RS100 to a wired network using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield).
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The McIntosh RS100 wireless loudspeaker employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like McIntosh, MartinLogan, Definitive Technology, Polk, Paradigm, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi App onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the McIntosh RS100 wireless speaker, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi components. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled products throughout your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The McIntosh RS100 wireless speaker & DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS & Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the PW800 through the free DTS Play-Fi app.
- Online Music Services: From the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Audio: The RS100 wireless speaker is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The RS100 wireless speaker and DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Front-Panel Knobs & Watt Meter: The McIntosh RS100 wireless speaker features two rotary control knobs on its front-panel. There is a Standby/On knob and a Volume knob. The front-panel is made of acrylic with a clear protective film (not glass). The illuminated power output meter on the front-panel of the RS100 is peak responding, and indicates the output of the active speaker. There is also an illuminated "McIntosh" logo on the front-panel.
Aux Input: The RS100 wireless speaker is fitted with a RCA auxiliary input for connection of external wired audio device. The Aux input is only played back at the speaker and cannot be wirelessly distributed to other DTS Play-Fi speakers.
Subwoofer Output: The McIntosh RS100 features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for adding a powered sub to add more bass to the speaker system.
AC Power: The McIntosh RS100 wireless active loudspeaker operates off of standard household current using its built-in power supply and detachable AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
McIntosh takes its classic sound wireless with their MB50 and RS100 streaming audio players. Both offer modern convenience with the classic look and sound of McIntosh.
Why did you buy this?
Quality [ Randall Aug 12, 2018 ]
None [ kevin Jul 20, 2018 ]
McIntosh is world renowned for their Attention to audio detail, premium equipment, and trusted expertise. I believe, purchasing McIntosh, i now have a quality stereo pair for life. [ Trinidad Gerard May 31, 2018 ]
good piece of equipment from what I read on it and made here in the USA [ Rocco Mar 31, 2018 ]
It's the only bit of McIntosh hardware that I can afford, blue meter in the zone 3 kitchen without wires! [ Michael Mar 29, 2018 ]
Its McIntosh ! Nuff said :) [ Steven Nov 15, 2017 ]
To see if I can stream around the firewall in my work place ! [ DWIGHT Sep 14, 2017 ]
Suggested by my neighborhood audiophile [ Armond Jul 13, 2017 ]
My 1st gen b&w zepplin stopped working plus it doesn't stream. I always liked the classic look of McIntosh. [ Jeremy Jun 08, 2016 ]
looks cool [ Ronald May 17, 2016 ]
7 questions already asked
I have two RS100 and I have noticed the sound separation. Very good quality [ Alvaro Jun 28, 2018 ]
True stereo speakers. I use my iPhone and home WiFi to play my two RS100s. The speakers sound wonderful in my home and I enjoy the unlimited music available for the Internet. [ John Jun 27, 2018 ]
Yes they can be paired to have true stereo sound [ jason Jun 27, 2018 ]
If you buy two ( yeah, I know) they can sync together to operate in stereo mode. I bought one to extend the music from my MB50 in my main listening area into an adjacent room. Works quite well and looks cool. [ Roland Jun 27, 2018 ]
Never had a problem. I set up a speaker group so it plays what my main system plays. But, I do physically have to turn it off to maintain the group. [ Roland Jun 27, 2018 ]
Yes, but I have to tell you...this unit is crap. I have 2 of them and can not get them to work properly. When they do they sound great. Neither Crutchfield, McIntosh or a high end dealer could help. When I have time I am going to get rid of them. Buyer beware. [ Lawrence Apr 24, 2017 ]
Yes. [ PATRICK Apr 23, 2017 ]
Unfortunately no. you have to physically turn it on and off. [ Antonio Apr 23, 2017 ]
I only use my iPhone to stream music to the speakers. The speakers are in the living room and I mostly access them from the master suite. The quality of speakers exceeded my expectations. I've had them about 9 months and the software has been upgraded about 3 times, which takes about five minutes per speaker. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. John in Tucson, Arizona. [ John Apr 23, 2017 ]
Yes. The only issue is turning them off remotely, as there is no off option as far as I know... just a function that is suppose to power them down after 30 minutes of non activity. I usually find myself having to manually turn them off. [ Brad Apr 23, 2017 ]
Just keep a check on the Crutchfield website or catalog. If you have further questions I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Kenny Oct 17, 2016 ] Staff
yes and no. it uses the Play Fi app via Bluetooth - the app has to recognize the source (Apple music, Tidal, etc) - if it isn't recognized by the app, it can't be played [ Richard Jul 22, 2016 ]
With the play fi app your tablet or your smart phone is in full control [ JEFFREY Jul 18, 2016 ]
No remote included. Your cellphone or tablet is used to control the unit. [ Jeremy Jun 28, 2016 ]
No remote included or needed as you can control via phone app. Play-Fi [ Antonio Jun 27, 2016 ]
There is no remote, you operate it using the DTS playfi app on your phone. [ Brad Jun 27, 2016 ]
1 answer Do you ever anticipate a sale on this item, or an incentive to buy two? My guess is not as it is value priced relative to other McIntosh equipment. Just curious. I bought a Klipsch Stadium from Crutchfield and LOVE it. This unit is next for the den, but would love to get two. Thanks. [ Dan May 26, 2016 ]
They do not inform us of future sale pricing before it happens. You can sign up to receive alerts for the model and get an email when the price changes. You'll find a link for this option under the green "Add to Cart" button on the product's main webpage. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan May 27, 2016 ] Staff
Hi...the speaker is great. I have had trouble connecting it with my iPad, Mac, etc. Still working on that part! Have a great weekend! [ Taylor May 20, 2016 ]
This speaker is fantastic. Loud with clear sound and nice bass. I use it with Tidal HiFi for lossless playback. I am already looking forward to getting a second speaker to pair up for stereo sound. The wifi and DTS Play-Fi have been working flawlessly. With this speaker there is no need for a separate receiver as long as you are only playing digital music sources. [ Antonio May 20, 2016 ]