Powered bookshelf speakers with Bluetooth® (Walnut)
Our take on the Audioengine HD6 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Audioengine's flagship powered speakers
Serious about the sound of your music? So's Audioengine. Their HD6 powered bookshelf speakers deliver exceptional sound quality. And they're versatile enough to use with just about any source — turntable, computer, or TV. You can even stream via Bluetooth from your smartphone or tablet. And the speakers look as good as they sound — they're housed in sturdy, low-vibration MDF cabinets with hand-polished furniture grade finishes. Detachable magnetic grilles let you either cover the speakers, or show them off in all their retro glory.
The HD6 speaker system can be set up in minutes. Plug the left channel speaker speaker, which contains the system's amplification, into an AC outlet. Then run the provided connector cable to the right channel speaker. Then connect your sound sources.
The HD6 has optical digital input for TV sound. It also has an RCA stereo input for your turntable with built-in preamp or other audio component. A stereo minijack lets you connect virtually any portable device. Or you can go wireless with Bluetooth.
Bluetooth with aptX®
The HD6 uses aptX, an advanced type of Bluetooth wireless streaming. It allows compatible devices to stream audio signals at near-CD quality. The system also works with earlier forms of Bluetooth. So you can play your music wirelessly from almost any portable device. You get an effective wireless range of up to 100 feet.
High-quality drivers and amplification
Each HD6 speaker features two custom drivers: a 1” silk dome tweeter for clear, accurate highs, and a 5-1/2” Kevlar woofer for clean, detailed midrange and solid bass. An RCA line-level output lets you connect a powered subwoofer — such as the Audioengine S8 — for even deeper lows. The left and right speakers are each driven by a 50-watt Class A/B monoblock amplifier, for sound that's clean, punchy, and immediate. The amps are supplied with steady current by a toroidal transformer for optimum performance.
- powered bookshelf stereo speakers
- Bluetooth with aptX audio coding for greater sonic detail with compatible devices
- range: up to 100 feet
- two 50-watt RMS amplifiers built into left speaker
- frequency response: 50-22,000 Hz (±1.5dB)
- each speaker features:
- one 1" silk dome tweeter
- one 5-1/2" Kevlar mid/woofer
- built-in high-performance AKM AK4396 digital-to-analog converter
- front-mounted volume control on left speaker
- rear optical digital (SPDIF) input handles PCM audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz
- rear stereo minijack input
- rear RCA stereo input
- RCA stereo line output
- ultra-rigid MDF cabinets reduce vibration and eliminate unwanted resonance
- furniture grade finish
- detachable magnetic grilles
- requires AC power (AC adapter included)
- powered speaker:
- 7-3/16"W x 11-7/8"H x 12-1/2"D
- weight: 17.5 lbs.
- passive speaker:
- 7-3/16"W x 11-7/8"H x 12-1/2"D
- weight: 12.5 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in its audio menu. This DAC is not compatible with Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered speaker
- Passive speaker
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- Bluetooth antenna
- Remote control
- 13' Speaker cable (w/ banana connectors on each end)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Microfiber speaker bags
- MIcrofiber cable bag
- Quickstart Guide
- Product Line Brochure
The build quality is fantastic. Out of the box they sound good, after a break in period, they sound phenomenal.
Archie, Portland, OR
Audioengine HD6 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Two-Way Speaker Design: Each of the Audioengine HD6 speakers has two drivers; a 1" silk dome tweeter & a 5.5" Kevlar woofer. The HD6 provides a real, natural sound the way the artist intended. The HD6 has a frequency response of 50Hz to 22,000Hz (+/-1.5dB)
- Silk Dome Tweeters: Audioengine uses audiophile-quality, ferro-fluid cooled silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets. Silk tweeters hold up well under high power & the edge-driven design gives very smooth response.
- Kevlar Woofers: The woofers are made of Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surrounds. Kevlar is very strong, which means that the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high levels. The woofers are housed in cast aluminum frames which provide high rigidity and increased heat dispersion.
Built-in Amplifier: The 50W x 2ch amplifier in the Audioengine HD6 is located in the left speaker and is a conservatively-rated class A/B analog monoblock design. This is a more traditional speaker/amplifier marriage which provides excellent quality audio and greater flexibility. All circuit boards for the power and preamp sections are vertically mounted for maximum mechanical shock protection. The built-in power amplifier saves space & eliminates the need to connect Audioengine HD6 to a stereo receiver or external power amp. Simply plug the left speaker into an AC outlet & connect the included 13' speaker wire from the left speaker's binding-post terminal to right speaker's binding post terminals. All internal components of the HD6 are tuned together, providing a more efficient system requiring less power than passive speakers & external amplifiers.
Bass Reflex MDF Cabinet: One of the reasons the Audioengine HD6 has such great bass response for a compact speaker is its slot-ported cabinet. Each cabinet features a rear-firing slot-port that has been specifically tuned for accurate bass down to 50Hz. The result is incredible low end with minimal audible air turbulence, so you can use the Audioengine HD6 speakers with or without a separate subwoofer. The cabinets are built using thick MDF with internal bracing. Internal sound-damping material reduces unwanted reflections inside the cabinet. The cabinet edges are rounded to reduce high-frequency diffraction effects on the front baffles. The speakers are hand finished, then tuned and tested together to be sold in matching pairs. Also included are detachable grills that add further aesthetic advantages as they are firmly held in place with hidden neodymium magnets for a clean look.
Note: The HD6 cabinets are available in several handsome finishes, including walnut and cherry veneers as well as satin black paint, offering a wide choice for complementing room furnishings.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The HD6 employs an AKM 24-bit DAC (AK4396A),widely known for its low-noise and high-fidelity. The optical input of the HD6 utilizes the AK4396A as a bit-perfect 24-bit DAC, which will process sample rates up to 192kHz natively. For Bluetooth, the AK4396A is used as an upsampling DAC and will pad all bit depths to 24-bits, achieving a higher signal-to-noise ratio and lower noise floor.
Bluetooth Music Streaming The Audioengine HD6 incorporates built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0) for wireless music streaming of stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, and more to the powered speaker system. You will continue to control your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- SBC, AAC, & aptX Codecs: The HD6 powered speakers feature aptX coding (for Android) which is an advanced Bluetooth audio codec with "CD-quality" like sound. And even if your phone or tablet doesn't have aptX, the HD6 Bluetooth solution is backwards-compatible with SBC and AAC (for iPhone) codecs, so you can wirelessly stream music from any Bluetooth-enabled device and still enjoy all your music.
- Upsampling DAC: Due to the high signal-to-noise specs of the HD6's AKM DAC, the fact that digital signal is upsampled to 24-bits, as well as the added benefit of onboard triple redundancy power source conversion and filtering, the HD6 Bluetooth receiver presents impressive low noise and low distortion characteristics with a noticeable improvement over many other Bluetooth devices.
- 100' Wireless Range: Most Bluetooth products have very limited range (only up to 30'), typically within just one room. But with careful signal management circuitry and antenna tuning, the HD6 offers a superior solution that has up to 3x the range (up to 100') of standard Bluetooth for multiroom use, with no degradation in audio quality.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Audioengine HD6.
Optical Digital Input: The Audioengine HD6 is fitted with a optical (toslink) digital input for connection of a digital audio device, like your Blu-ray player, gaming system, or TV. The optical digital input supports up to 24-bit/192 kHz PCM stereo.
Dual Aux Inputs: The HD6 is equipped with two analog Aux inputs. There is a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input and a stereo RCA input for connecting analog audio devices.
Variable Audio Output: The Audioengine HD6 includes a variable stereo preamp audio output so you can connect a powered subwoofer (such as the Audioengine S8; sold separately), other Audioengine powered speakers, or an Audioengine wireless adapter (772W3; sold separately) to daisy-chaining music to other systems around the house. This output is variable (adjustable) so the volume level can be controlled from the HD6 or remote control.
Simple Controls: The HD6 features a front-mounted volume control and a rear-mounted power on/off switch. It also comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the powered speaker system. Remote control functions include Power on/off, Volume up/down, and Mute.
Toroidal Transformers: Power transformers are a large contributor to the overall audio performance, especially in the low end (bass response). Audioengine uses gapless core toroidal transformers which have a tighter radiated magnetic field, directly translating to lower noise. They are lighter than standard, lower-cost "EI" transformers and also generate less heat.
Placement: For the best soundstage & imaging, the speaker should be equidistant from the side walls & and a different distance from rear walls. Both speakers should also be equidistant from your primary listening position and at least 6' apart. Tweeters should be at approximately eye-level in your most frequent listening locations. For the best bass response, Audioengine recommend at least 6" of clearance between the rear of the speakers and the wall behind them.
Break-in Period: The speaker will sound great out of the box & will get better over time. No need to do anything else, but listen to them. Do give them at least 30-50 hours of break-in time before doing any critical listening.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good reviews [ John Jun 02, 2017 ]
This product was well reviewed in Sound & Vision magazine. [ jeffrey Jun 11, 2016 ]
A neighbor recommended. I haven't heard them yet but appear to be well made and an easy solution to spotify stereo [ John Jun 10, 2016 ]
Looking for quality not low price! [ CAROLYN Aug 02, 2018 ]
Had audioengine 5+ and liked it greatly for my desktop computer. Gave it to nephew and settled on this for me. [ William May 02, 2017 ]
reviews [ brian Jan 08, 2016 ]
The high quality of Audioengine products is very well documented. These speakers have exceptionally long-range Bluetooth connectability and are compatible with computers and smartphones. [ Bryce May 31, 2018 ]
Perfect complement to a minimalist turntable home system (Pro-ject Debut Carbon) with the flexibility of more modern bluetooth tech. [ MAIKA Apr 08, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Feb 11, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Powered bookshelf speakers with Bluetooth®
Premium powered bookshelf speakers
Powered bookshelf speakers with Bluetooth®
Audioengine 5+N (A5+N)
Premium powered bookshelf speakers