3-channel mixer and USB 2.0 computer/iPad® recording interface
From Yamaha: AG Series Mixer & USB 2.0 Recording Interface
Item # 845AG03 | MFR # AG03
$149.99 Earn up to 150 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Yamaha AG03 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Easy recording for gamers, podcasters, and mobile musicians
Yamaha designed their new AG03 computer interface/mixer for folks who are active in the social media side of audio production. Whether you publish a weekly podcast, teach or take online music lessons, or upload videos of your own gaming prowess on sites like Twitch, the AG03 may be just what you need to take your hobby, passion, or pastime to the next level. The key is its convenient loopback feature, which lets you route audio tracks from your computer back to the mixer via the USB port and lay your own voice or instruments on top. Then you can easily set your levels and send a mix to your Internet streaming software for recording or broadcasting on the web.
Serious sound quality under the hood
Plug your microphone of choice into the AG03's mic input — even a condenser, thanks to the onboard phantom power— to lay down clear vocal tracks. Yamaha's high-quality D-PRE microphone preamp and high-res 24-bit/192kHz recording capture warm, detailed sound. The mic input features easy-to-use one-touch effects: you can select a "Comp/EQ" (compression and equalization) setting, as well as adding some ambient reverb using the "Effect" button. Download Yamaha's AG DSP Controller (now available for Windows® and Mac®), and you can customize the AG03's onboard effects for a wider range of options.
A perfect USB interface for podcasters
Make music with your computer or iPad
The AG03 is compatible with lots of different recording software, for your Mac® or PC as well as iOS® apps on the iPad. Not sure which one to use? Try Cubase AI, developed by Steinberg and included with this interface. It gives you everything you need to start producing songs. There's also an iPad version, Cubasis, available for sale at the iTunes® store. This USB-powered interface doesn't need an external power supply when used with a computer. But when you're recording on your iPad, there's a power port on the back for connecting an optional AC or USB power adapter, or even a standard mobile battery (sold separately).
- 3-channel mixer/recording interface for Mac®, PC, or iPad®
- 2-input/2-output USB 2.0 recording interface
- loopback feature routes playback tracks from your computer to the mixer and combines your inputs for recording to Internet streaming software
- Yamaha D-PRE discrete Class A mic preamp with 48V phantom power offers warm, clean sound even at high input levels
- comes bundled with CUBASE AI music production software (download version) for Mac and Windows
- optional Cubasis recording app for iPad available for purchase at the iTunes Store
- built-in 1-touch DSP effects include Comp/EQ (compression and equalization) and reverb
- durable, compact metal chassis
- one 1/4" TRS/XLR combo input (main mic/line in)
- "high-Z" instrument input for electric guitars and basses
- left and right stereo 1/4" line inputs
- 3.5mm stereo aux input
- stereo RCA and 1/4" monitor outputs
- full-size (1/4") headphone output jack
- USB 2.0 port
- jack for optional footswitch (toggles effects on/off)
- 24-bit/192kHz high-res analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion
- compatible with 2nd generation and later iPads (requires Lightning™ to USB adapter or Apple Camera Connection Kit)
- system requirements: USB 2.0 port; Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later; Intel or AMD dual core CPU, 2GB RAM, 4GB of free hard drive space, CD-ROM drive or Internet connection for software installation; iPad 2 or higher with iOS 6 or higher
- peak indicators
- powered by your computer via USB
- rear port for powering mixer via USB adapter or mobile battery (required for use with iPad)
- 5-1/8"W x 2-1/2"H x 8"D
- weight: 1.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AG03 3-channel mixing console
- 59" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Type B USB on other end)
- Owner's Manual (English)
- 8 Owner's Manuals (separate copies in other languages)
- Technical Specifications
- Cubase AI download information
- Software note
- Important Notice (for European customers only)
VERY VERY Awesome! Does everything it should and so much more. Has really improved my guitar recording tracks to being crystal clear!
Nelson, North Carolina
Yamaha AG03 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Yamaha AG03 is a multi-purpose, high-resolution 3-channel mixing console and USB audio interface. It has a mono Mic/Line input and a stereo Line/mono guitar input, plus stereo Monitor out and headphone out. In addition, there are two USB in/outs, one for PC (Type B) and the other for tablet (MicroUSB), for recording or playing back your own tracks at up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution. The AG03 has a durable, compact metal chassis with a white finish.
Possible Uses: The Yamaha AG03 can be used in a wide variety of ways, including webcasting, podcasting, gaming, musicians and music producers, and education.
Preamp: The AG03 has a studio quality D-PRE microphone preamp, the same Discrete Class-A Mic Preamp developed by Yamaha for their high-end recording consoles. The D-PRE preamp has a very wide frequency range which allows it to handle signal from virtually any audio source.
Phantom Power: The mic input features +48V DC phantom power, giving you the option to use a professional condenser microphone.
Comp/EQ: The AG03 is equipped with 1-Touch Comp/EQ (compressor/equalizer), which can easily add clarity and focus to your sound at the touch of a button. Using Yamaha's state-of-the-art signal processing technology, the Comp/EQ lets you reduce unwanted low-frequency noise and variations in vocal level.
Optional Mic Stand Mount: The mixer can be mounted onto a microphone stand by using the optional Yamaha BMS-10A Microphone Stand Adapter. Two threaded screw holes on the bottom will accommodate the stand adapter.
Channel 1 Mic/Line Input: You can connect a microphone, instrument, or other audio device to Channel 1. This input has an XLR-1/4" combo jack, allowing you to use an XLR or phone plug.
Channel 2/3 Guitar/Line Input: The AG03 allows you to plug in a guitar into Channel 2, or a mono or stereo line-level instrument into Channel 2 and/or Channel 3. All of these inputs are for 1/4" phone plugs. Instruments with high output impedance (High-Z) are plugged into the 2G Guitar jack and the Guitar/Line switch pressed in. Line-level instruments with a mono output are plugged into the Channel 2 L/Mono jack, while stereo line sources are plugged into the Channel 2 L/Mono and Channel 3 R jacks. The Guitar/Line switch should be in the off (up) position.
- Channel 1: Channel 1 is controlled by a 60mm fader. A rotary Gain knob can determine the basic volume for channel 1. If the Peak LED is constantly lit, the input gain is too high and should be adjusted. Channel 1 also has a +48V Phantom Power switch and a 26dB Pad.
- Channels 2 & 3: Channels 2 and 3 are controlled by a single rotary level control. The Gain switch for Channels 2 and 3 can determine the basic volume: pressed in for a low-level input or left out for a high level input.
Auxiliary Input: This 3.5mm auxiliary input jack lets you connect a smartphone or other device to the mixer. The controls on the device must be used to adjust volume.
To PC: A 3-way switch lets you determine what sounds are sent to the computer:
- Dry Ch 1-2G: Audio from Channels 1 and 2G is sent directly into the computer, where it can be recorded separately, as with an audio interface.
- Input Mix: The sound input into the mixer is mixed in stereo and sent into the computer. Sound input from the computer into the mixer is not sent back to the computer.
- Loopback: The Loopback function consolidates all input channels and playback tracks from the computer, and routes the mix back to your computer. You can adjust the input volume of the sound from the computer by a separate rotary knob. This is extremely helpful for webcasting or live recording.
Monitor Outputs: The Yamaha AG03 is equipped with multiple monitor outputs. Left and right monitor outputs, with both RCA and phone (1/4") jacks, are provided to connect the mixer to powered monitor speakers. There is also a 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones. If your headphones have a 3.5mm plug, you can use the Headset output jack.
Foot Switch: A 1/4" phone jack is provided for connecting to a separately-sold foot switch, such as the Yamaha FC5. When the Effect button is turned on, the effected sound can be muted with a footswitch. The LED next to the Effect button flashes if the effected sound is muted.
Headset: Two 3.5mm jacks let you connect the microphone plug of a headset into the mixer. When a microphone (usually color-coded pink) is plugged into the headset microphone jack, the audio is sent to Channel 1, and any microphone or instrument connected to the Mic/Line input on Channel 1 is cut off. The headphone plug of the headset (usually light green in color) plugs into the headphone jack. This headphone jack receives the same sound as the 1/4" monitor headphone jack.
Monitor Mute: When the Monitor Mute switch is on (pressed in), the audio input to channels 1 and 2G is not sent to the Monitor Outputs (RCA or 1/4") or Headphone monitor jack, and direct monitoring is turned off. Audio coming from other sources (PC, for example) can still be heard through the monitor and headphone outputs, and you can adjust the levels independently.
USB 2.0 Port: For connecting the mixer to a computer, the AG03 has a Type B USB 2.0 terminal. The computer supplies power to the mixer and audio data can be sent between the mixer and computer. If a USB driver is required, it can be downloaded from the Yamaha website.
5V DC Terminal: You can connect a commercially-available USB power adapter or USB mobile battery via the Micro USB port. This terminal is also used for connecting the mixer to an iPad or other tablet that cannot supply power to the mixer.
Cubase AI: The Yamaha AG03 includes Cubase AI 8 Music Production Software. This digital audio workstation (DAW) is available via free download, and provides the basic tools for recording, editing, and mixing.
iPad Compatibility: The AG03 is compatible with Apple's second generation iPad or later, allowing you to create high quality recording and playback using an iOS compatible music app, such as Cubasis. You'll need an Lightning to USB camera adapter for connection to the iPad.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Flexibility for sound recordings by mixing imputs [ James Van Apr 22, 2017 ]
This looks like exactly what I need for podcasting & webcasting. I'm looking forward to using it. [ Gary May 09, 2016 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Yamaha's 6-channel AG Series mixer/interface offers more connections
The Yamaha AG06 offers these features:
a second mic input, which also doubles as a high-Z instrument input
digital amp simulation effect for input 2
a second pair of line inputs with RCA jacks