NAD MDC BluOS™
MDC module for select NAD components
Item # 745MDBLUOS | MFR # MDC-BluOS
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the NAD MDC BluOS™ by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Make your NAD components wireless
NAD ingeniously designed their components to accommodate user-installed circuit boards, so you can keep up with changing technology. This add-on module lets you add intuitive, high-fidelity network and internet music streaming to NAD components with MDC (Modular Design Construction).
Compatible with Bluesound wireless speakers
This module adds compatibility with Bluesound's BluOS wireless music system. That means you can integrate your compatible NAD component into a wireless multi-room music system. Stream songs on your main system as well as Bluesound speakers throughout your home.
A free app with advanced control options
Operate your system via Wi-Fi® using the BluOS Controller app with your Apple® or Android® device, or your Windows® or Mac® computer. It gives you flexible control over your entire music system. Play the same song everywhere or stream different music to different zones at the same time. You can even use your Apple Watch to control your system.
A wealth of high-resolution streaming options
BluOS can send 24-bit high-res music to any room in your home, without any loss of sound quality. Stream music from your personal library or from internet streaming services. The selection of supported services — including TIDAL, Spotify®, and Rhapsody®, among others — is one of the most impressive we've seen.
- add-on module for select NAD components
- includes support for Spotify, Deezer, TIDAL, Slacker, Radio Paradise, Napster, Murfie, and Calm Radio
- free internet radio from TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio
- BluOS compatibility for further expansion with Bluesound wireless speakers
- free BluOS controller app for iOS®, Android, Windows, and Mac OS X
- Bluetooth compatibility for wireless music listening from a smartphone, tablet, or computer
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- compatible file types: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF
- supports high-resolution playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- USB (Type A) input for connecting USB thumb drives and compatible external hard drives
- second USB (Type A) input for connecting included Wi-Fi dongle
- USB mini (Type B) input for service only
- Ethernet port
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- DD BluOS module
- USB dongle
- 41" USB extension cable
- 2 Screws
- Mounting Instructions
NAD MDC BluOS™ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Compatibility: NAD's MDC DD BluOS module allows you to easily integrate Hi-Res Audio, network streaming, Bluetooth audio, and the music control BluOS App into select NAD C series digital integrated amplifier and Masters series digital preamplifiers.
BluOS: Featuring BluOS, the music management software developed by NAD's sister brand, Bluesound, the MDC DD BluOS module is a complete digital music solution. Thanks to the forward-thinking innovation of Modular Design Construction (MDC), you can now add MDC DD BluOS network and internet music streaming with advanced music management to your NAD C series digital integrated amp or Masters series digital preamplifier.
Note: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. Bluesound can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The MDC DD BluOS module allows your compatible NAD integrated amplifier or digital preamplifier to connect to your home network and Internet provider via a hardwired Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) jack connector or wireless WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) connection. Either network/internet connection allows you to stream music from your Windows or Mac computer and NAS drive (such as the Bluesound Vault, sold separately); as well as stream select online music services.
Note: Included with the MDC DD BluOS module is a WiFi dongle that must be plugged into one of the module's USB (type-A) ports for wireless connection to your network. A 41" USB extension cable is also included.
Bluesound Controller App: The free Bluesound Controller App turns your Apple iOS (7.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone/tablet, Windows (Vista higher) PC or Mac (OS X 10.7+) computer into a full-featured remote control for the Bluesound wireless music system. The Bluesound Controller App on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use Bluesound Controller App.
Supported Music Formats: The MDC DD BluOS module and Bluesound eco-system supports both low-res and high-res audio files; including MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, WMA Lossless, MQA, WAV, and AIFF. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 100,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Note: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): Bluesound is the first wireless multiroom audio system to support MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. Bluesound worked closely with MQA to implement technology inside each Bluesound component to ensure the listener will hear MQA encoded music and streams exactly like the source and the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
Note: MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) support will require a firmware update.
Online Music Services: With a network and internet connection, the MDC DD BluOS module lets you access select online music services & internet radio. The Bluesound Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality
- TuneIn: The Bluesound eco-system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker Radio® music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Music Library From Your Mobile Device: From the Bluesound Controller App, you can stream music directly over WiFi from your Apple iOS or Android device to your compatible NAD digital integrated amplifier or digital preamplifier and the rest of your Bluesound components around your home. The app gives you complete control of your compatible mobile device's music library with song/artist information and album art.
Computer Audio: The MDC DD BluOS module will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC or Mac computer using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the Bluesound Controller App for Windows & Mac.
- Windows: Music files stored on a Windows desktop or laptop can be accessed by Bluesound using Windows File Sharing. You will need to download the Bluesound Share Utility for Windows. This utility will work on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
- Mac: Music files stored on an Apple iMac or MacBook can be accessed by Bluesound using SMB File Sharing. You will need to download the Bluesound Share Utility for OS X. This utility will work on any version of Apple OS X 10.8.x and higher.
Bluetooth w/ aptX: The MDC DD BluOS module features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for wireless music streaming from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, and more. You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled device to your compatible NAD digital integrated amp or digital preamp. In addition, the MDC DD BluOS module offers aptX for CD-quality sound from Android (OS 4.0+) devices. You can even distribute Bluetooth audio to the rest of your Bluesound wireless audio system throughout your home or office over WiFi.
Note: The included Bluetooth antenna must be screwed into the DD BluOS module.
Dual USB-A Ports: The MDC DD BluOS module features two USB (type-A) ports to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external hard-drive. The unit's USB ports support music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32. Not only can USB audio be played back on your compatible NAD digital integrated amplifier or digital pramplifier, but can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback. The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android devices.
Note: There is also a mini-USB (type-B) port that is used for service purposes only (not for consumer use). Only authorized service personnel can access this USB port.
Modular Design Construction: The advantages of a pure digital system are many, but one drawback is the constantly changing delivery formats for digital content. Each of these formats typically requires specialized hardware and software, often with licensed IP and content copy protection. For this reason, NAD places all digital interface circuitry on easily upgradeable modules. NAD calls this 'Modular Design Construction' or 'MDC'.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed BluOS access for Roon integration. [ Michael Mar 22, 2017 ]
I have a NAD M 12. I also have a bluSound node 2 that I brought from Crutchfield. [ jon Dec 06, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
You can access the files stored on your MAC (regardless of their encoded bitrate) using the Bluesound Share Utility. So, you won't have to use iTunes at all. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Feb 12, 2018 ] Staff
Im not sure. I use it with a 388 and it works great. [ Omar Dec 18, 2017 ]
Yes, I have one in my C390DD works great [ Alan Dec 18, 2017 ]
Hi Doug. Thanks for question. I checked in with our buyer, and he's creating a separate item for the Version 2. The stock we have is version 2, but we want to make that clearer for customers. The stock is being moved to the new number, so you may need to call to order in the short term (till we get the new webpage launched). [ Jeff Nov 03, 2017 ] Staff
This can play your music that you have in iTunes using its interface to select what to play. There is software needed to be installed for it to be able to find the songs on your Mac. Also, it cannot play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Feel free to contact an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for additional help! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Aug 07, 2017 ] Staff