Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
Medium telephoto macro prime lens for DX format Nikon DSLR cameras
Item # 0542190 | MFR # 2190
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
An ideal lens for detailed close-ups and flattering portraits
Shoot incredibly detailed photos with this versatile macro lens from Nikon. Its close focusing capability lets you turn small, everyday objects into dramatic, frame-filling images. Record dew drops on flower petals at dawn or the tiny creatures in a tidal pool at the beach. An internal focusing design means the lens won't change length when you're adjusting focus. Plus, the Silent Wave motor makes operation fast and quiet. So go ahead and take that shot of a stinging insect at close range — it won't get startled.
In addition to fantastic closeups, this lens also excels at capturing the rest of the world around you. Its medium telephoto focal length makes it ideal for shooting flattering portraits of your favorite people.
World-class optical performance
Nikon's world-renowned optics help this lens deliver razor-sharp images. An Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element and multi-coating on the lens provide superior optical performance while minimizing flare and ghosting. The lens has built-in vibration reduction to compensate for camera movement. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light conditions where slower shutter speeds and hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens.
- AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR lens
- designed for use with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras
- 128mm effective focal length with DX (APS-C) sensor cameras
- ideal for close-ups, portraits, and everyday use
- Vibration Reduction II for steady handheld shots
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus
- instant manual focus override for fine focusing
- lifesize 1:1 macro capability for extreme closeups
- Extra-low Dispersion lens element for superior optical performance and sharpness
- minimum focus distance: 11.26 in.
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 14 elements in 10 groups
- rounded 9-blade diaphragm renders more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating for superior color saturation and reduced lens flare
- attachment/filter size: 52mm
- lens is 2-15/16" in diameter, 2-15/16" long
- weight: 12.5 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- soft lens case
- front and rear lens caps
What's in the Box:
- Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR lens
- LC-52 52mm front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-37 Lens hood
- CL-1018 Flexible lens pouch
- User's Manual
- 5 Years of Protection extended warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR lens is a fixed focal length, medium telephoto macro lens with an f/3.5 aperture. It is optimized for DX-format cameras, and can be used with FX-format cameras in DX Crop Mode. It is ideal for general photography and portrait shooting, as well as extreme close-up photography. The lens comes with a lens hood and a flexible lens pouch.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Vibration Reduction II (VR II): The built-in Vibration Reduction II (VR II) technology improves image stability, reducing blur by compensating for camera shake. It can be effectively used in low-light situations, telephoto and macro shooting, and D-movie recording. When Vibration Reduction is engaged, you can shoot at shutter speeds up to 3-stops slower than those without VR. The Vibration Reduction feature can be turned on or off via a switch on the barrel of the lens.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-37 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-5/8" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S DX Micro Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 52mm
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 10.8" (0.9')
- Focusing Method: Internal Focusing (IF) system; AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, and manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/3.5 to f/32
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 10 groups (including 1 ED lens element)
- Angle of View: 18° 50'
- Dimensions: Diameter: 2.928", Length: 4.215" (4.828" w/caps)
- Weight: approximately 12.5 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.