ZVOX SoundBar SB700
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
Our take on the ZVOX SoundBar SB700 by Crutchfield's Emily S.
A big sound bar for your big TV
I recently had a chance to take the ZVOX SB700 for a spin here at Crutchfield HQ. First of all, wow — it's easily the biggest sound bar I've ever seen. I advise against pairing it with TVs under 65 inches, because it will definitely dwarf a smaller screen.
I tested this enormous bar with the LG 65" OLED TV we have set up in the training room, and it was a perfect match, width-wise. And connecting it with the included optical digital audio cable was ridiculously easy.
Three setup options
With a sound bar this size, it's good to have some placement flexibility. Fortunately, ZVOX gives you three ways you can set it up. I was just using it for a single afternoon so I only sampled the two tabletop options.
Face front: I tried this way first, with the drivers facing out into the room. The bar stands over 5-1/2 inches tall in this configuration. With some TVs, it might block the IR remote sensor and quite possibly some of the picture. I suspect this option will only be helpful if you've got a shelf below the TV that's big enough to accommodate it.
Face up: Next, I carefully tipped the SB700 over onto its back to assess the face up option. It's just a hair over 3-1/2 inches tall this way, so it's a bit less intrusive than when it's facing front. Directing the drivers toward the ceiling didn't diminish sound quality one bit, but I did lose the ability to see the digital display (unless I was standing right over it).
Wall mount: The SB700 comes equipped with keyhole slots for wall-mounting, but make sure your screws are digging into studs — that's twenty pounds of sound you're hanging!
Tonal profiles to match
Each of the three placement options has its own tonal profile setting, so that you get the best possible performance no matter how you set the sound bar up. The default is face front, but adjusting it was as easy as holding down a couple of buttons. This feature is what allowed me to tip the sound bar with the drivers facing up and still hear clear sound in the room.
No sub required — but add one if you want
The TV I used had an Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray player connected to it, so I was able to test drive the SB700's home theater capabilities. The action really came at me, especially when I cranked the volume! That's because the SB700 has three full-range drivers, including a dedicated center channel. It also has dual subwoofers with digital MegaBass processing built right in to make the lows punch harder.
That was plenty of boom for me. But if you find you want more, there is a mono subwoofer output that lets you easily add on a separate powered sub. You can also adjust the treble and bass individually on this sound bar, which is not always a given, even at this price point.
Hear what you want
The SB700 comes equipped with three virtual surround sound options. I tested each one, but in the end I found I preferred to keep AccuVoice® on instead. This cool feature uses hearing aid technology to increase vocal clarity, which made it really easy for me to hear the movie's dialogue even when I had the sound turned down very low.
I also tried Output Leveling, but it made the action movie I was watching sound a little weird. This feature prevents big changes in volume, so you might find it useful if you're really bothered by the loudness of commercials during your favorite TV shows.
- designed to complement larger TV screens (65" to 90")
- aluminum cabinet provides strength, rigidity, and lower resonance for better sound
- built-in 140-watt Class D amplifier
- three 2" full-range drivers (including dedicated center channel for dialogue)
- two 4" woofers
- Dolby Digital® decoding
- PhaseCue virtual surround sound creates spacious effects
- AccuVoice dialogue emphasis mode uses circuitry similar to a hearing aid to enhance vocal clarity
- Output Leveling mode helps tame loud commercials
- MegaBass system uses advanced digital contouring for deep, accurate bass
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music wirelessly from a compatible device
- aptX® audio coding for better Bluetooth sound quality with compatible devices
- frequency response 38-20,000 Hz
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- optical digital cable included
- 1 stereo RCA analog audio input
- stereo RCA cable included
- mono RCA line-level output for adding a powered subwoofer
- learns commands from your TV remote
- remote control included
- 57-1/8"W x 5-11/16"H x 3-9/16"D
- weight: 19.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 47" DC cord)
- 40" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 6.5' Stereo RCA cable
- 58" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 2 Rubber feet
- Setup & Operation Guide
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Adjustment Options" booklet
- "Using Bluetooth" instructions
- Programming Remote instructions
Great sound and easy to install due to the supplied cables and instruction guides.
Anonymous, Cass Lake, MN
ZVOX SoundBar SB700 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||N/A|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||38-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||140|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||5-11/16H x 57-1/8W x 3-9/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||19.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The ZVOX SB700 active soundbar speaker system adds great sound to your high-definition or ultra-HD flat-panel television. The SB700 uses three high-performance speakers, two built-in powered subwoofers, an acoustically stable aluminum cabinet, and a 140-watt Class-D digital amplifier to create warm, natural sound, and surprisingly powerful bass. The ZVOX SB700 uses PhaseCue virtual surround to create three-dimensional home theater sound from one speaker, incorporates AccuVoice hearing aid technology to deliver incredibly clear voices, and offers Output Leveling to tame loud commercials. The ZVOX SB700 active soundbar speaker system provides digital (Optical/Coax) and analog (RCA) inputs, built-in Bluetooth music streaming, and remote control.
Advanced Speaker Design: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 speaker system incorporates high-quality full-range drivers, built-in subwoofers, a highly efficient Class-D amplifier, and digital signal processing for high-fidelity sound. And its all packed inside a slim, aluminum cabinet.
- 3 Full-Range Drivers (including dedicated center): The Soundbar SB700 features three high-performances full-range 2" drivers for crisp, detailed sound. One of the full-range drivers is a dedicated center speaker for excellent dialog and vocal reproduction.
- Dual Subwoofers w/ MegaBass: The soundbar speaker is also equipped with two long-excursion 4" woofers for accurate bass & midbass response. The new ZVOX MegaBass feature uses digital processing to tailor sound and control the subwoofers to a degree never before achieved. The result is robust, accurate bass (down to 42 Hz) without an external subwoofer.
- Class-D Amplifier: The ZVOX SB700 employs a highly efficient 140W Class-D amplifier that includes digital signal processing (DSP) for superb frequency response. The result is a very warm, natural, smooth, and accurate sound.
- Aluminum Bass Reflex Cabinet: The SB700 features a stylish, slim cabinet constructed of anodized aluminum (not plastic). The metal design provides low-resonance audio characteristics, and allows the SB700 to produce room-filling sound. The cabinet is ported on one end for added efficiency and bigger bass response.
Note: If the built-in dual subwoofers are not enough bass for you, the SB700 also has a mono-subwoofer output so you can add a powered subwoofer for even bigger bass.
PhaseCue Virtual Surround Sound: The Soundbar SB700 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. PhaseCue, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, virtually surrounding the listener. You choose from 3 PhaseCue Virtual Surround Sound modes.
- Surround 1: Low virtual surround effect and strong vocals for enhanced vocal clarity.
- Surround 2: Moderate virtual surround effect and moderate vocals for most program material.
- Surround 3: Strong virtual surround effect and moderate vocals for movies.
Audio Enhancements: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 offers a variety of audio adjustments to enhance your listening experience.
- AccuVoice: The Soundbar SB700 includes the ZVOX AccuVoice feature, which uses hearing aid technology to create super-clear voice reproduction. When you push the "ACCU" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized.
- Output Leveling: The Soundbar SB700's Output Leveling feature automatically turns down loud commercials, while boosting audio levels from DVD and Blu-ray movies that are not loud enough. Simply press the "OL" button on the included remote and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on.
- Bass & Treble: The Soundbar SB700 has independent bass and treble controls. Each has a range from -4 to 4, and can be adjusted using the remote control only.
Digital & Analog Inputs: The Soundbar SB700 has one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial digital input, plus one analog stereo RCA audio input on the rear-panel. The digital inputs will support both 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1ch audio. The analog inputs only support 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Wireless Audio + aptX: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, etc.. You'll be able to stream stored music or music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the soundbar speaker system. The Soundbar SB700 even employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like Android OS 4.0+). You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enable mobile device for music navigation and to view song/artist information.
Remote Control: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the speaker system. The included wireless remote has controls for power, input select, mute, volume, PhaseCue II effect level, bass & treble level, and DE/OL functions. The Soundbar SB700 can also be programmed to respond to your TV or satellite/cable remote control. Once programmed, you can control volume, mute, input, and power with your TV or satellite/cable remote. There are also Power, Volume, and Input control buttons on one end of the soundbar speaker.
Note: Many newer TVs are coming with RF remotes and don't offer IR functionality. In this case, you would not be able to program the soundbar and TV remote to work together.
Hidden Display: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble, and PhaseCue (virtual surround); plus shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or AccuVoice (ACCU) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or side-panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can either be table-top or wall-mounted, and works well with TVs from 65" to 90". You can place the SB700 on any flat, stable surface near your TV. There are three general placement options to choose from (Face Front, Face Up, & Wall-Mount). The SB700 has a "Tonal Profile" adjustment to allow it to sound better based on its room placement.
- Face Front: You can place the SB700 on a flat surface so it faces forward. This placement is ideal for a shelf below, above, or near the television.
- Face Up: You can place the SB700 facing up; often in front of the television. Check to ensure the SB700 does not block the television infrared remote sensor. There should be no shelf or flat surface immediately above the SB700 in this configuration.
- Wall-Mount: The SB700 has two sturdy keyhole-shaped hanger mounts on the back-panel. You can hang the SB700 on two screw-heads (not included) that are securely installed in a wall or other vertical surface.
Auto On/Off: The ZVOX Soundbar SB700 will automatically turn on if it senses a volume adjustment or power command from your programmed remote control or the included remote control. The Soundbar SB700 will also automatically turn off if the selected input is silent for longer than approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
best on the market & like return policy. [ jj Mar 03, 2018 ]
2 questions already asked
I'd love to say that they do cut out the bass from the rest of the speakers and redirect that power to the other drivers, but I cannot find anything stating this happens. I think they envisioned the sub output being used by customers who want more bass than what two 4" woofers can produce and are happy with the mid and high range audio they get from the bar. Feel free to contact an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for a personal recommendation on a soundbar! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Dec 04, 2017 ] Staff
The Soundbar SB700 has one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial digital input, plus one analog stereo RCA audio input on the rear-panel which can be used for adding a Sonos Connect player and integrating with your existing Sonos audio system. As for mounting, the SB700 has two sturdy keyhole-shaped hanger mounts on the back-panel. You can hang the ZVOX SB700 on two screw-heads (not included) that are securely installed in a wall or other vertical surface. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. I hope that helps! [ Larry Nov 09, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
ZVOX SoundBar SB700
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
ZVOX SoundBar SB500
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
TV sound bar/wireless music system