Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge (Gloss Red)
Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon - Close-up detail of included Sumiko Blue Point No.2 cartridge and integral vinyl platter mat
Our take on the Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Savor the sweet sounds of vinyl
This Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon comes equipped with the high-performance Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 moving coil cartridge.
For an outstanding listening experience, give Pro-Ject's RPM 3 Carbon a spin. Turntables like this demonstrate why audiophiles remain so enthusiastic about analog sound. Precise construction and careful attention to design and materials allow this player to retrieve ear-opening layers of sonic detail from the grooves of your favorite albums. Its striking appearance and high-gloss piano lacquer finish make this 'table look every bit as good as it sounds.
A focus on performance
The RPM 3 Carbon's unusual boomerang-shaped MDF chassis does more than just look cool — it also resists vibrations that can smear sonic detail. The 'table rests on three vibration-damping cone feet that further reduce noise. The heavy MDF platter is topped by an integrated mat made from recycled record vinyl, and spins on an inverted bearing with a ceramic ball for smooth, silent rotation and reduced rumble. The motor is driven by an ultra-precise AC generator with a DC power supply for enhanced speed stability. The isolated motor assembly and belt drive system keep motor vibration away from the chassis, preventing noise from being transferred to the cartridge.
The RPM 3 Carbon's advanced, S-shaped 10" tonearm boasts carbon fiber, aluminum, and resin construction for superior rigidity, strength, and maximum internal resonance damping. A damped, offset counterweight design lowers the arms center of gravity to improve tracking — a big help with warped records. And the RPM 3 Carbon comes outfitted with an easy-to-use magnetic anti-skating mechanism for faster setup.
Includes a Sumiko Blue Point No.2 phono cartridge
A longtime favorite with audiophiles, the Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 phono cartridge comes pre-mounted and ready to go on the RPM 3 Carbon. This high-output moving coil cartridge offers outstanding performance, serving up the warm, rich sound of vinyl with remarkably smooth tonal balance plus plenty of musical detail and resolution. The Blue Point No. 2 also boasts a nude-mounted, elliptical diamond stylus to minimize friction and wear on your treasured LPs, while providing a longer usable lifespan. Its high-output voltage design means direct compatibility with the phono inputs on many receivers and amps, eliminating the need for an additional moving-coil preamp.
- 12" resonance-optimized medium density fiberboard (MDF) platter with integral recycled record vinyl mat
- precision inverted bearing with ceramic ball for smooth platter rotation, greater speed accuracy, and low wow-and-flutter
- central mass point optimizes vibrancy behavior
- extra-long 10" one-piece S-shaped tonearm made from carbon fiber, aluminum, and resin for better rigidity and internal vibration damping, plus reduced tracking angle error
- includes pre-mounted Sumiko Blue Point No.2 high-output moving coil cartridge
- tonearm offers adjustment of vertical tracking angle and azimuth for optimized playback performance and cartridge-matching
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) plinth with three vibration-absorbing cone feet
- 15-volt AC motor driven with ultra-precise AC generator and DC power supply
- magnetic anti-skating for easy setup and more precise tracking
- isolated motor assembly optimized for low noise and speed stability
- manual operation with silicone-damped tonearm lift
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds with manual speed change
- speed drift: ±0.19% at 33 RPM, ±0.08% at 45 RPM
- wow and flutter: ±0.14% at 33 RPM, ±0.11% at 45 RPM
- signal-to-noise ratio: 71 dB
- detachable RCA audio cable included
- tracking force gauge included
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- dust cover not included
- weight: 12.1 lbs.
- 14-15/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 13-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years (1 year warranty for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
What's in the Box:
- Turntable (tonearm & cartridge installed)
- Platter w/ integrated vinyl mat
- AC power supply (attached 6' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug adapters (US/EU/UK)
- Drive belt
- 47" RCA stereo cable (with ground wire)
- 45 RPM adapter
- 3 Protective discs
- 2 Hex-keys
- Stylus Pressure Gauge
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
- Instructions For Use booklet
- Warranty Information
Almost ready to go right out of the box. Securely packaged, easy set up and great sound.
Tony, Las Vegas, NV
Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||71|
|Wow and Flutter||0.14|
Precision Belt-Drive Using Synchronous Motor: The Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon features a precision belt-drive system using a quiet running synchronous motor. It supports both 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds.
Note: Not compatible with Speed Box S or Speed Box DS.
MDF Construction w/ Inverted Bearing Assembly The Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon features three-point MDF (medium density fiber) plinth for exceptional stability. The low resonance chassis holds a newly designed inverted platter bearing with ceramic ball for further reduced rumble. The platter is made from 300mm MDF and features an integrated vinyl mat.
S-Shaped Tonearm w/ Sumiko Blue-Point II MC Cartridge: A completely new designed 10" S-shaped tonearm tube is made from carbon fiber, aluminum and resin. Using a complex 3-step process with heat treatment and 100bar pressure, arm tube rigidity is strengthened, internal damping is maximized and resonances are reduced to a minimum. Fitted to the tonearm is a Sumiko Blue-Point II MC cartridge for exceptional sound quality reproduction.
Note: The Sumiko Blue-Point II MC cartridge that comes with this turntable is a "high-output" moving coil cartridge. This means it can be connected to a standard MM phono input and does not require a MC input.
Tracking Features: Additional features are a new magnetic antiskating mechanism and a TPE-damped counterweight for improved tracking.
Stereo RCA Output w/ Grounding Screw: Connection to the phono input of your amplifier can be made with connecting cables of your choice through the turntable's gold-plated stereo RCA phono jacks and grounding screw. The Pro-Ject turntable comes supplied with a 47" stereo RCA cable with ground wire.
Outboard Power Supply: An outboard 15V AC motor is smoothly driven using an ultra-precision AC generator with DC power supply for further enhanced speed stability.
No Dust Cover: This turntable does not come with a dust cover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Features [ G Jul 02, 2016 ]
A beautiful work of art - coupled with a high-quality premounted Sumiko MC cartridge. I have mine sitting on an acrylic base that has inherent neon LED light...really looks BAD-ASS! [ DAVID Aug 01, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge
Manual direct-drive professional turntable with USB output and built-in phono preamp
Pro-Ject RPM 1 Carbon
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge
Audioengine HD6/Pro-Ject Debut Carbon/Phono Box Bundle
Turntable with separate phono preamp and powered stereo speakers$1,199.97