ZVOX SoundBase 770
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform with Bluetooth® (for TVs up to 80")
Our take on the ZVOX SoundBase 770 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Put dialogue front and center
Looking for a system that can provide thrilling impact when the on-screen action heats up? The ZVOX SoundBase 770 delivers on that score, thanks to its built-in array of five full-range drivers and three subwoofers. But our customers and employees alike have also said great things about how ZVOX SoundBase systems make dialogue easier to understand — a crucial part of any TV show or movie. Hit the dedicated button on the included remote to engage AccuVoice® dialogue emphasis mode and keep up with the story.
The ZVOX SoundBase 770 supports TVs up to 80".
A simple concept that works
The ZVOX SoundBase sits right on top of whatever surface holds your TV, and your TV sits right on top of the SoundBase — simple, effective, and easy. The 770 works with most TVs that have 80" or smaller screens, weighing up to 140 pounds. Just like many other sound bar systems, this one connects to your TV using a single cable (optical digital and analog RCA audio cables are included). The system's built-in 125-watt Class D amplifier puts out plenty of power to drive the built-in speakers to impressive volume levels. Bluetooth wireless streaming is new on this year's SoundBase models: pair your tablet or smartphone and enjoy rich, full sound with your favorite tunes.
- sound system doubles as a platform for flat-panel TVs up to 80"
- recommended for TVs with pedestals measuring 41-1/2"W x 17"D or smaller
- supports up to 140 lbs.
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- PhaseCue II virtual surround sound creates spacious effects
- AccuVoice® dialogue emphasis mode uses circuitry similar to a hearing aid to enhance vocal clarity
- Output Leveling mode helps tame loud commercials
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music wirelessly from your tablet or smartphone
- aptX® audio coding for better Bluetooth sound quality with compatible devices
- built-in 125-watt Class D amplifier
- five 2"x3" full-range drivers
- three 5-1/4" woofers
- frequency response 45-20,000 Hz
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 2 stereo RCA analog audio inputs
- 1 front-panel minijack input for portable music players
- learns commands from your TV remote
- remote control also included
- rigid MDF (medium density fiberboard) cabinet improves audio performance and is built sturdy
- 42-1/16"W x 3-1/2"H x 18-9/16"D
- weight: 32 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Soundbar speaker base
- 59" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6.5' Stereo RCA cable
- 58" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- Setup/Operation Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Using Bluetooth" instructions
- "Adjustment Options" guide
- Remote Control Instructions
- "Alternative Adjustment Guide For Remote Control" booklet
- Warranty Sheet
The ZVOX sound base was easy to set up and provides nice sound and clearer dialog -- which is nice for our old ears. It is a stable base for our 65" SONY tv.
Leon, Minneapolis, MN
ZVOX SoundBase 770 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Midrange||2"x3" Full-range (5)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||45-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||125|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-1/2H x 42-3/16W x 18-1/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||32 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
SoundBase 770: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 speaker system is designed to sit beneath your flat-panel TV so you can have surround sound without adding a lot of clutter to your room. It requires no additional speakers, subwoofer, or speaker wires. The SoundBase 770 reproduces TV shows, music, and movie soundtracks with lifelike accuracy, including crystal-clear vocals and big bass. The ZVOX SoundBase 770 is the perfect solution for people who want great sound from their flat-panel TV without the clutter and complexity of a conventional home theater system.
Note: You can place the ZVOX SoundBase 770 directly beneath most 50"-70" flat-panel TVs weighing up to 140 lbs with a pedestal base which does not exceed 35" in width or 15" in depth. The SoundBase 770 has a height of only 3.5". You can also place the SoundBase 770 on a shelf under most table-top or wall-mount flat-panel televisions.
Advanced Speaker Design: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 speaker system incorporates high-quality speakers, built-in subs, a highly efficient amplifier, and digital signal processing for high-fidelity sound. And its all packed inside one slim, compact enclosure.
- 5 Speaker Array w/ Built-in Subwoofers: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 speaker system includes five front-firing 2"x3" full-range drivers and three down-firing 5.25" subwoofers. The 2"x3" full-range drivers use a long-throw design to create a remarkably wide range, accurate sound. The triple 5.25" subwoofers use a high-mass long-throw design and are coupled with a rear-firing port for deep, accurate bass.
- Class D Amplifier w/ DSP: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 employs a highly efficient 125W Class D amplifier that includes digital signal processing (DSP) for superb frequency response. The result is a very warm, natural, smooth, and accurate sound.
- MDF Cabinet: The 770 features a hand-built cabinet of heavy MDF. The speaker cabinet is robustly constructed using fully-braced MDF (medium density fiberboard), not molded plastic that is found any many lesser expensive soundbar speaker systems. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
PhaseCue II Virtual Surround Sound: The SoundBase 770 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, virtually surrounding the listener.
- Music: With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other.
- Movies: When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelop you - putting you in the middle of the action.
- Levels: You can adjust the level of PhaseCue II virtual surround processing effect. You can select from Surround One (low effect), Surround Two (moderate effect), Surround Three (strong effect).
Note: AccuVoice cannot be used in conjunction with a PhaseCure Virtual Surround Sound mode.
Audio Enhancement: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 offers a variety of audio adjustment to enhance your listening experience.
- AccuVoice: The SoundBase 770 includes the ZVOX AccuVoice feature, which uses hearing aid technology to create super-clear voice reproduction. When you push the "ACCU" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized.
- Output Leveling: The SoundBase 770's Output Leveling feature automatically turns down loud commercials, while boosting audio levels from DVD and Blu-ray movies that are not loud enough. Simply press the "OL" button on the included remote and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on.
- Tone Control: The SoundBase 770 has independent bass and treble controls. Each has a range from -4 to 4, and can be adjusted using the remote control only.
Note: AccuVoice and Output Leveling can be activated simultaneously.
Wired & Wireless Connectivity: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 offers wired and wireless connectivity; including digital and analog inputs, Bluetooth audio streaming, and a subwoofer output.
- Digital & Analog Inputs: The SoundBase 770 has two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial digital input, plus two analog stereo RCA audio inputs on the rear-panel. Plus, there is a front panel analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for convenient connection of a portable audio device. The three digital inputs will support both 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1ch audio. The analog inputs only support 2ch PCM.
- Bluetooth Wireless Audio + aptX: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, laptop/computer, etc.. You'll be able to stream stored music or music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the SoundBase speaker system. The SoundBase 770 even employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like some Androids OS 4.0+). You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enable mobile device for music navigation and to view song/artist information.
- Subwoofer Output: An optional powered subwoofer can be connected using the full-range mono-RCA Sub Output on the back panel for even bigger bass. There is no low-pass crossover built-in to the sub out, so you will need to set the low-pass crossover of your powered subwoofer accordingly.
Hidden Display: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble, and PhaseCue II (virtual surround); plus shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Remote Control: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. The included wireless remote has controls for power, input select, mute, volume, PhaseCue II effect level, bass & treble level, and DE/OL functions. The SoundBase 770 can also be programmed to respond to your TV or satellite/cable remote control. Once programmed, you can control volume, mute, input, and power with your TV or satellite/cable remote.
Note: Many newer TVs are coming with RF remotes and don't offer IR functionality. In this case, you would not be able to program the soundbar and TV remote to work together.
Auto On/Off: The ZVOX SoundBase 770 will automatically turn on if it senses a volume adjustment or power command from your programmed remote control or the included remote control. The SoundBase 770 will also automatically turn off if the selected input is silent for longer than approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Liked my old ZVOX and wanted something to make dialog more clear. [ John Jun 27, 2018 ]
Reviews on quality plus this really is the only base that seems to support the size of my TV's stand (75" TV, 40" x 14" base) [ Eric Dec 27, 2017 ]
We have a 70 inch television, a sound bar would not fit with the television on the stand that we have so we are going with the sound base. After researching sound bars we believe the Zvox is the best choice on sound quality, reliability and size. [ W Jun 13, 2017 ]
Wanted a good sound bar for my new Samsung 658500 TV. [ Shally Jan 24, 2017 ]
quality sound. [ timothy Sep 23, 2016 ]
Sound base doesn't block signal from the remote as the sound bar would. Need excellent voice quality for parents with difficulty hearing, and having to raise tv volume to extremes. Good reviews. [ TERRI Aug 16, 2016 ]
Reviews were encouraging and I like the way the system looks. It is an excellent base for my Samsung SUHD tv and the sound quality is excellent. I've had it for 2-3 months so far and I am pleased with the sound quality and fidelity. The bass level is surprising; I don't feel the need for a subwoofer, at least for my purpose. I've received lots of compliments on the sound and the appearance. [ GARY Jun 16, 2016 ]
The reviews on the website really helped influence my decision. Also, with the HDTV I purchased, I needed a larger platform for the 55" to sit upon. I am excited to finally have an updated system with the latest technology and advanced sound. Crutchfield's website is easy to use and navigate, help is always available during business hours and finding the right product is always just a click away. I love Crutchfield. From a former Virginian now in Maine, it's nice to deal with a "local" company. [ Rob Jun 02, 2016 ]
Appears to be a good solution to large tv with no surround sound options in home. Reviews were all very positive. [ Ryan May 26, 2016 ]
I read the reviews and it is right on. [ tlfquincy Apr 23, 2016 ]
I had read many positive reviews about this sound box. After speaking with Zoe via online Chat and explaing what I was looking for, Zoe did confirm this would be my best choice. I also like the fact of the 60 day return policy. Gives plenty of time to test out the new system. Zoe's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=149 [ Chris Feb 25, 2016 ]
Looking for good sound quality to hear voices on the TV better. ZVOX has a special solution AccuVoice that sounds interesting in meeting this need. [ Deneen Jan 26, 2016 ]
Product received great reviews, was in the price range I was looking for, and will fit/blend well in the space I plan to use it in. [ Walton Jan 14, 2016 ]
Was looking for a sound bar to replace my Boston, which was great when I had a 50 inch TV. However I have a 65 inch now and need more room. The reviews also helped. [ gregg Jan 13, 2016 ]
Better sound quality and simplicity [ JOE Jan 01, 2016 ]
Features and able to sit big screen on top of it. [ James Dec 27, 2015 ]
4 questions already asked
According to my manual, you can connect wireless headphones through the miniplug on the back panel. I believe that the Bluetooth function is for input only. [ J Steven Feb 03, 2018 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings and connections on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Jun 17, 2016 ] Staff
no, not that i have been able to do [ Eileen Apr 09, 2016 ]
Yay!!! I was able to easily config the zvox for the verizon remote-verizon remote model P265v4, i pushed and held the up/down buttons on the zvox until the Lrn status shows up, then press UP/DOWN volume, repeating selecting the button your on when the zvox says Rep, short for repeat. I used the enclosed document and it was spot on with steps. [ Mark Apr 08, 2016 ]
I have cox and their remotes work for on/off and volume. I just upgraded to Contour2 where I can speak to the remote and it works manually via their remote. [ NORMAN Apr 08, 2016 ]
Yes the Verizon remote turns on/off the and controls the volume of the soundbar [ JOSE M Apr 08, 2016 ]
I havent figured that out yet, but did not spend alot of time on it, but now this has resurfaced will try, i dont have any estimated time to update [ Mark Apr 08, 2016 ]
The Zvox SoundBase 770 does offer a dedicated subwoofer pre-amp output so you can certainly use it with an external powered sub. The speaker offers great performance and exceptional value with it's current sale pricing so, it's a great choice. Hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Nov 20, 2015 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
ZVOX SoundBase 770
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform with Bluetooth® (for TVs up to 80")
ZVOX SoundBase 570
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform with Bluetooth® (for TVs up to 60")
ZVOX SoundBase 670
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform with Bluetooth® (for TVs up to 70")
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform/wireless music system with Apple® AirPlay® 2