TiVo Mini Vox™
Extend TiVo-with-voice-control to an additional TV in your home
Item # 592DA95000 | MFR # RA9500
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the TiVo Mini Vox™ by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Watch recorded shows, live TV, and streamed content on a TV in another room
The TiVo Mini Vox is the ideal way for owners of TiVo Bolt series DVRs or Roamio OTA to expand their systems. It lets you access and control all the entertainment from your TiVo DVR in another room without buying another DVR, and without paying an additional service fee.
The Mini Vox provides full TiVo functionality: You can watch live TV and recorded shows, with functions like pause, fast forward and rewind, and 30-second skip. And you can stream your favorites from Netflix® . You can even start watching a show in one room and finish it in another.
And Mini Vox brings the power and convenience of voice control to the TiVo experience. Just push the blue "Voice" button on the Vox remote, say your command and let TiVo do the rest. You can search across live TV, your DVR recordings, and streaming apps. Connection to a compatible Bolt or Roamio series DVR running the New TiVo Experience is required to access voice control features.
Wired for entertainment
To stream live or recorded material to the Mini Vox, connect your TiVo DVR to the internet using either an Ethernet cable or Ethernet over coax cable (MoCA). If you go with MoCA, you'll also need two TiVo Bridge MoCA Network Adapters: one that connects to your home network and one that connects to your DVR. See "What is MoCA" below.
Setup requires only a couple steps. To stream content to the Mini Vox it has to be on the same network your TiVo DVR is. For starters, make sure your TiVo DVR is hooked up to both a cable TV connection and to your router. Another option is to connect the Mini Vox directly to your TiVo DVR via Ethernet cable (using a single cable or through the router). After that, just hook the Mini Vox up to your TV via HDMI.
That famously great TiVo interface
Why would you choose the Mini Vox over competing streaming video devices? TiVo owners know — the TiVo onscreen interface is unbelievably smart and intuitive. It's optimized both for finding the stuff you know you want to watch, and for discovering new shows that match your interests. With the Mini Vox connected to a TV you can quickly find movies and shows from cable or broadcast TV, as well as from popular streaming services. You can also tap into music from Pandora®.
What is MoCA?
MoCA (pronounced "mocha," like the chocolate coffee drink) stands for Multimedia over Coax Alliance. It's a great networking option if you can't easily make a wired Ethernet connection. MoCA delivers the same high-speed network connection you get with an Ethernet cable, and delivers it through your existing coax cable (the wire you use to receive cable TV) to any room in your home. When you set up a MoCA adapter in your home, your TiVo DVR will receive cable TV and connect to your home network through your existing coax cable.
- connects to 4- or 6-tuner TiVo Bolt series DVRs or Roamio OTA through a wired connection to your home network
- watch live TV and recorded shows from your TiVo DVR on another TV
- watch movies and shows from Netflix®, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, and YouTube, including 4K Ultra HD content where available
- stream music from Pandora® and iHeartRadio
- pause, fast-forward, and rewind live TV and recordings
- schedule recordings, WishList® searches, and Season Pass® recordings on your TiVo DVR
- high-quality video up to 4K with multichannel audio
- TiVo Mini Vox doesn't have a built-in tuner or hard drive, and doesn't need a CableCARD — it requires the use of a dedicated tuner on your 4- or 6-tuner DVR to stream live TV
- TiVo Mini Vox doesn't support Wi-Fi® or the TiVo mobile app
- coax input for cable TV signals, and MoCA internet-over-cable networking
- HDMI 2.0 output for connecting to your TV (6-ft. HDMI cable included)
- Toslink optical digital audio output
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your TiVo DVR
- USB port (for service only)
- multibrand Bluetooth remote with voice control
- AC power adapter
- 5-11/16"W x 1-1/8"H x 6-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires connection to a compatible TiVo DVR, and a subscription to TiVo service for the DVR ($14.99/mo.)
What's in the Box:
- TiVo Mini Vox add-on box
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6' HDMI cable
- Start Here booklet
It works well the ordering and delivery was excellent, the only thing I don't like is the mini doesn't have the iHeartRadio app.and was a little difficult to set up thru TiVo, good product.
TiVo Mini Vox™ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
TiVo Mini Vox: If you already have a compatible TiVo receiver and TiVo subscription, you can connect one TiVo Mini Vox to another TV or multiple TiVo Mini Vox(s) to multiple TVs in your house to get a Tru Multi-Room TiVo experience. Best of all, you pay no additional monthly fees for adding one or multiple TiVo Mini Vox(s).
Note: The TiVo Mini Vox does not have a tuner or hard-drive, and does not need a CableCARD.
Compatibility: The TiVo Mini Vox is compatible with the TiVo Bolt Vox, TiVo Bolt+, TiVo Bolt, TiVo Roamio and Roamio Plus or Pro, TiVo Premier 4 and XL4/Elite, and the TiVo Roamio OTA. Up to 10 TiVo Mini Vox(s) can be connected to one compatible TiVo receiver.
Note: Connection to a compatible Bolt or Roamio series DVR running the New TiVo Experience is required to access voice control features.
TiVo Service: A TiVo service plan is also required. You can choose from a Monthly Plan, Annual Plan, or All-In Plan. Go to tivo.com/activate, or call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486. You'll need your 15-digit TiVo Service Number (TSN), found on the label on the back of the TiVo Bolt Vox.
- Monthly Plan: The Monthly Plan with 1-year commitment ($14.99/month, plus any applicable taxes) is available for the TiVo Bolt Vox.
- Annual Plan: The Annual Plan (currently $149.99/year, plus any applicable taxes) is available for TiVo Bolt Vox.
- All-In Plan: The All-In Plan ($549.99 one-time fee, plus any applicable taxes) provides service for the life of the TiVo Bolt Vox for which it is purchased, and remains with the device in the event of an ownership transfer.
Shared Content: The TiVo Mini Vox has access to your 4 or 6 tuner TiVo DVR through its Ethernet or MoCA home network connection, so you can watch live and recorded cable or OTA (over-the-air) content. You also get access to select online apps - such as Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu Plus, Vudu, HBO Go, Pandora, iHeart Radio.
Ethernet & MoCA Input: The TiVo Mini Vox connects to your compatible TiVo DVR receiver via your home's network using either wired Ethernet (RJ45) or MoCA (coax) connection.
Note: You must use a wired connection (Ethernet or MoCA) to connect your compatible TiVo DVR to the TiVo Mini Vox. Wireless (WiFi) networking is not supported.
HDMI 2.0 Out: The TiVo Mini Vox is outfitted with an HDMI 2.0 output to connect to your Ultra-HD TV. The HDMI output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (24/60Hz) & 4K UHD video resolutions; as well as HDR10 for High Dynamic Range video content. It also supports 2ch to 7.1ch audio output, including support for Dolby Digital & Dolby Digital Plus.
- Ultra-HD 4K w/ Upscaling: Ultra-HD 4K gives you 4x the resolution of full 1080p HD and boasts incredibly life-like images with a level of detail and clarity like never before. The TiVo Bolt Vox even upscales standard and high definition video content to Ultra HD 4K (3,840 x 2,160).
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) delivers dynamic UHD content in exceptional quality with a greater range of color contrast and brightness, enhancing details from the original film format. Experience sharp contrasts and brightness with deeper blacks and brighter whites. HDR video signals contain up to 100x the brightness of a standard (SDR) signal, massively increasing peak brightness while retaining deep and highly detailed blacks, for an incredible viewing experience. The TiVo Bolt Vox supports HDR10 (not compatible with Dolby Vision or HLG).
Note: Online HDR content coming sometime in 2018 (no specific ETA).
Optical Digital Out: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the TiVo Bolt Vox is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output which support 2ch to 5.1ch audio, including Dolby Digital.
Bluetooth Remote Control: The included Bluetooth remote with voice control lets you operate the TiVo Bolt Vox, even if it's tucked away behind a cabinet door. It has a wireless range of approximately 30'. In addition to push-button control, the remote features a built-in microphone and offers voice control. It can also be programmed to operate certain TV functions.
- Voice Control: The remote's built-in microphone lets you use your voice to search and select your favorite movies, record shows, and stream online apps. Simply press the "Mic" button and speak into the built-in microphone. The remote lets you speak in natural language and gives you the ability to narrow your search results as you go - search for shows, tune to a channel, ask for recommendations, or use one of the Unified Search Tools. You'll have the ability to have a true conversation with the system, with back and forth questions, commands, and answers. Simply speak to the system as if it were another person instead of trying to figure out what it can understand and what it can't.
- TV Control: The TiVo remote will automatically be able to change channels on your TV and display all the TiVo menus, because these functions are done through the TiVo DVR. You can also program the remote to change the volume and input of your television, as well as turn your TV on/off.
- Remote Finder: The TiVo Bolt Vox includes a remote finder feature. If you don't know where your Bolt remote is, press the Remote Finder button on the back of the TiVo Bolt Vox. The Bolt remote will play the TiVo tune to help you locate it. Press any button on the remote to cancel the tune.
Note: To control your TiVo Mini Vox with your voice, the remote must be paired. Pairing should happen automatically during the guided setup. Once the remote is paired, the activity light will flash yellow with each button press.
Unified Search Tools: The TiVo Mini Vox offers the same unified search tools of your TiVo DVR receiver which lets you browse a variety of content across multiple platforms, including TV (Cable or OTA) & online content.
- OneSearch: OneSearch scours multiple platforms like TV (Cable or OTA) and online Content simultaneously, so your search experience is always fast, simple and seamless. No more drilling down into each app and doing multiple hunt-and-seek searches. Find shows and movies by title, actor, director, or keyword.
- OnePass: OnePass tracks down every available season and episode of a show (whether it's on cable, over-the-air, or a streaming app) and creates a customizable "watchlist" for you. Start with the pilot episode or jump in anywhere mid-season. OnePass even automatically records upcoming episodes and adds them to your list.
- My Shows: All of your recordings, streaming videos, and downloaded or transferred shows appear in the My Shows list. Folder & Category search functions help you quickly locate shows in the list.
- Discovery Bar: The Discovery Bar displays lots of great viewing options such as popular shows or sports events that are playing on live TV (Cable or OTA), items from your My Shows list, TiVo Suggestions, new video on demand shows, and more.
- What To Watch Now: With "What to Watch Now", the TiVo Bolt helps you sort through your options by showing which popular shows, personal favorites and sporting events are now playing - so you'll never have to surf channels again.
- WishList: A WishList search finds shows that match your search criteria on any channel you receive, and it keeps on searching for as long as you keep the WishList search. You can search for something with multiple criteria or that is very specific by entering a keyword or keywords. You can even choose the Bolt to auto-record matches to your WishList search.
SkipMode: No more waiting for commercial breaks to be over. SkipMode lets you skip commercial breaks of select recorded content. With a single press of a button on the remote, you can skip those annoying commercials and continue watching your recorded show. SkipMode works with certain recorded shows on the top 20 channels - including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, AMC Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, TBS, FX, TLC, History Channel, TNT, The CW, Food Network, USA, Bravo, ABC Family, Syfy, Lifetime, & HGTV.
Note: This feature is available only on select shows, and only after they are finished recording. TiVo hopes to make the feature available for the most popular shows on the most popular channels watched by TiVo subscribers. That means you'll find SkipMode on many shows that you record between 4:30pm and midnight (or 12:30am. on major networks) on the most widely-watched networks.
QuickView & QuickMode: While you're watching live TV or recorded show, QuickView lets you see what else is playing now or coming up without missing the action on the show you're watching. QuickMode lets you zip through your recorded shows (and shows with a buffer) 30% faster than normal speed with pitch-corrected audio. It's the ideal way to power through slow-moving news shows or sporting events.
SmartBar: The SmartBar predicts shows to watch based on what your household usually watch at a particular time or day. For example, if you normally watch the previous night's late-night talk show the next morning, you'll see it in the SmartBar when you wake up. If the kids tend to watch shows while dinner's cooking, those shows will be waiting in the SmartBar at that time each day.
AC Power Adapter: The included AC adapter must be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Mounting Options: The TiVo Mini Vox can simply be placed horizontally on a table-top or vertically wall-mounted via the unit's integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
replacing a premier unit and saving on the comcast and tivo monthly fees [ Kevin Jan 23, 2018 ]
The TiVo UI is fantastic and the mini extends all of the DVR functionality to another room. [ Bill Jan 20, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
The TiVo Mini Vox connects to your compatible TiVo DVR receiver via your home's network using either wired Ethernet (RJ45) or MoCA (coaxial) connection. For more details or to discuss further, please contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Nov 20, 2017 ] Staff