Boston Acoustics HSi 455
Our take on the Boston Acoustics HSi 455 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Versatile performance for music and movies
Use a pair of Boston's value-packed HSi 455s for the front or surround channels of your in-wall home theater. This stealthy speaker is also great for a music system without any visual clutter. It's equipped with a 5-1/4" woofer and 1" soft-dome tweeter. Together they deliver full, clear sound for movies, music, sports, and video games.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can even paint the included magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
- ideal for an in-wall music system or left or right channel in a home theater system
- 1" Kortec® soft-dome tweeter
- 5-1/4" co-polymer woofer
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 10-100 watts
- frequency response: 65-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- paintable magnetic grille
- cutout dimensions: 6"W x 8-15/16"H
- overall dimensions: 7-1/2"W x 10-1/8"H
- mounting depth: 2-7/8"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Mounting bracket
- Self-adhesive "Boston" logo decal
- Paint shield
- Scrim cloth
- Hole Cuttiing Template
- Installation Instructions
- Product Registration Card
- Disposal note
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||6 x 8.9375|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-100|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Boston Horizon HSi 455 in-wall speaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring a 1" Kortec soft-dome tweeter for crisp, high frequencies and a 5.25" DCD copolymer woofer for accurate midrange/midbass performance.
- 1" Kortec Soft-Dome Tweeter: Kortec is a silky fabric saturated on the underside with a proprietary stiffening agent to eliminate the high-frequency feedback that usually accompanies metal tweeters. Because the inside surface of the dome is ultra stiff, the tweeter tracks the signal with ease and produces an excellent transient attack. Simultaneously, the soft, self-dampening top layer eliminates unwanted resonance, so the sound is smooth and articulate.
- 5.25" DCD Copolymer Woofer: The Deep Channel Design (DCD) woofer uses a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil to travel farther for greater output without bottoming out. The woofer cone is made of a copolymer material with a butyl rubber surround for solid midbass performance.
Spring-Post Terminals: The HSi 455 in-wall speaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept up to 12AWG speaker wire and banana plugs (single or dual).
Reduced Bezel Design with Magnetic Grille: The HSi 455's reduced bezel design provides seamless integration, while the magnetic grille offers easy installation. Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the wall. A plastic paint mask is included to protect the speaker from being painted as well.
Applications: The Boston Horizon HSi 455 in-wall speaker can be installed in any room or hallway of your home in a distributed audio system, or used in a multichannel home theater system or a stereo-only 2ch music system.
In-Wall Installation: The Boston Horizon HSi 455 installs in a 6" (w) x 8.9375" (h) cutout opening. The required depth to install the in-wall speaker is 2.875" from the mounting surface. Behind the opening there must be a 1.5" clearance around the top and bottom of the cutout to accommodate the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket secures the speaker in place using four screws. The wall material should be at least 1/4" thick.
Note: The NCB5 new-construction bracket (sold separately) can be used to simplify installation in new construction
IR Sensor Knockout: The HSi 455 in-wall speaker has a knockout molded into the speaker baffle that will accommodate standard 0.5" diameter infrared (IR) sensor.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.