Monitor Audio CS160
In-wall/in-ceiling speaker (Square Grille)
Our take on the Monitor Audio CS160 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Hideaway sound from Monitor Audio
Monitor Audio has a stellar reputation for creating high-end bookshelf and floor-standing speakers. The British hi-fi company also applies their design expertise to custom-install speakers as well. The CS160 is one of their most budget-friendly models, and is available with either a square or round grille for installation flexibility.
The CS160 is a great choice for an in-wall or in-ceiling stereo system. Or use the square-grille version as a left, right, or center channel as part of a Monitor Audio home theater system. The round-grille '160 is a solid choice for overhead Atmos® or side or rear surround channels.
The CS160 uses the same 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter that Monitor uses in their higher-end speakers.
"Trickle down" technology for detailed, natural sound
The CS160 uses the same 1" gold dome C-CAM® tweeter that Monitor puts in their higher-end custom-install speakers. This makes the CS160 an excellent value, since it offers the same smooth, detailed highs as its higher-priced brethren.
Bass and midrange come courtesy of a 6" woofer, making the CS160 ideal for installation in a small- to medium-sized room.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included round or square magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
- slim mounting depth allows for installation in the ceiling or wall where space is at a premium
- ideal for an in-ceiling or in-wall music system or overhead surround effects channel of a home theater system
- pivoting 1" gold dome C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 6" MMP® II (Metal Matrix Polymer) woofer
- recommended amplifier power: 15-70 watts
- frequency response: 60-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable removable square magnetic grille
- cutout diameter: 6-11/16"
- overall dimensions with square grille: 7-13/16"W x 7-13/16"H
- mounting depth: 3-7/8"
- weight: 4.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Metal Matrix Polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||15-70|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Monitor Audio CS160 in-ceiling speaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring a pivoting 1" C-CAM Gold Dome tweeter and a proprietary 6" MMP II woofer. Engineered for excellent detail resolution and full-range sound, the CS160 will deliver great sound for distributed audio, home theater, and stereo applications.
- Pivoting 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- 6" MMP II Cone Woofer: The 6" MMP II (Metal Matrix Polymer) cone woofer has a polypropylene base loaded with metallic particles to offer a rigid and responsive structure. It is manufactured using a sophisticated high-pressure injection process, which modulates cone thickness at critical points to optimize stiffness and consistency, resulting in a superior sonic performance.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CS160 is outfitted with two gold-plated spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The CS160 in-ceiling speaker features a steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Note: The CS160 is available with a square or round grille (does not come with both).
Slim Design: Integrating the bass driver basket with the frame, monitor Audio engineers have reduced the overall speaker size by 25% over conventional in-ceiling speakers without any reduction in performance. Requiring only a 6.6875" (diameter) cutout and having a mounting depth of only 3.9375", the CS160 is ideal for ceiling installations where depth is restricted.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: The CS160 speaker can only be fixed into drywall and suspended ceilings with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Protective Covers: The Monitor Audio CS160 features a dust protection cover that is designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Recommended by crutchfield support as part of a total system purchase. Anxious to complete setup [ manuel Mar 10, 2018 ]
Recommended by you support team [ manuel Apr 09, 2018 ]
recommended by your sales/support team [ manuel Feb 03, 2018 ]