Olympus E-M5 Mark II Weatherproof Kit
16-megapixel mirrorless camera with 14-150mm zoom lens and Wi-Fi® (Black)
Our take on the Olympus E-M5 Mark II Weatherproof Kit by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II features a convenient tilting touchscreen that makes it easy to shoot from any angle.
Thoroughly modern technology in a classic body style
The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II packs plenty of technology into a compact, classic-looking body. Five-axis image stabilization is built in, so no matter what lens you've got on the front, your camera is actively correcting for movements that can blur your photos — pitch, yaw, roll and vertical and horizontal shift. A bright, detailed electronic viewfinder (EVF) complements a 3-inch, high-res touchscreen monitor that tilts in order to give you a better view from unusual angles. The camera's Micro Four Thirds mount puts plenty of well-regarded lenses at your disposal, and the camera body comes bundled with the Olympus FL-LM3 flash.
A compact, versatile lens for any weather
The included 14-150mm zoom lens gives you flexible wide-angle to long-range telephoto shooting capability in a portable, lightweight package. With an equivalent zoom range of 28-300mm, you can shoot sweeping landscapes at the wide end and tight close-ups of distant subjects at the telephoto end. A dust-, splash-, and freeze-proof design makes this lens a solid companion for the E-M5 Mark II.
The need for speed
The E-M5 is optimized to give you the best possible image with all due speed. The camera's 81-area autofocus system provides accurate, high-speed focusing, even when subject is moving toward or away from you. At its top speed, the E-M5 Mark II is capable of an impressive 10 frames-per-second still image capture rate. And it can freeze action with a speedy shutter that can fire in 1/8000th-second. If you're at a dance recital, that means you can freeze the highest leaps in mid-air, then switch over to video mode and record the fluidity of the dancers' movements as well.
The OM-D E-M5 Mark II is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi, so you can upload photos and video to social media for immediate sharing. You can also remotely control the camera's shutter and other functions through the same connection, and import GPS information from your smartphone.
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- Four Thirds-type Live MOS image sensor (17.3 x 13.0 mm)
- includes M. Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 28-300mm)
- five-axis in-body image stabilization minimizes blurring
- 3" (1,037,000 dot) tilting LCD touchscreen with brightness control
- high-resolution (2,360,000-dot) electronic viewfinder
- full-time live view mode for screen and viewfinder lets you instantly see how your settings will affect the image
- 81-area autofocus for accurate, high-speed focusing, even when subject is in motion
- face/eye detection autofocus with face recognition locks in focus for sharp candids and portraits
- in-camera art filters can be applied to both stills and HD movies for creative effects
- compatible with Micro Four Thirds lenses
- sealed for protection against moisture and dust
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- includes FL-LM3 flash unit, rechargeable BLN-1 lithium ion battery, charger, shoulder strap, and software CD-Rom
- shutter speed range: 60-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- 23 preset scene modes
- 11 in-camera art filters including pop art and pin hole camera
- shoots HD video up to 1920 x 1080 resolution
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-7/8"W x 3-3/8"H x 1-3/4"D (without lens)
- weight (with memory card and battery): 16.54 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Weatherproof Bundle includes the E-M5 Mark II camera body and M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f/4-5.6 II zoom lens (boxed separately)
- The OM-D EM-5 Mark II DSLR camera body box includes:
- Black E-M5II DSLR body (with BC-2 body cap and hot shoe cover installed)
- FL-LM3 electronic flash
- Soft storage pouch for flash
- BLN-1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.6V 1220mAh 9.3Wh)
- BCN-1 battery charger (8.7V / 0.6 A)
- 6' AC cord
- 54" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on the other end)
- Adjustable neck strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Basic Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- The ED 14-150mm f/4-5.6 lens box includes:
- M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f/4-5.6 II zoom lens
- LC-58F 58mm front lens cap (installed)
- LR-2 Rear lens cap (installed)
- LH-61C Lens hood
- Warranty card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-300mm|
|Sensor Size||Four Thirds|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||16|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Bundle Overview: The Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II Weatherproof Bundle is an all-in-one camera kit, which includes the OM-D EM-5 Mark II camera body and the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6II zoom lens. The camera's all-metal body is sealed for protection against dust and moisture for shooting in all types of conditions. Likewise, the 14-150mm zoom lens features weather-sealed construction to protect it from dust and moisture, and can survive splashes in wet environments. The camera kit includes an external flash, shoulder strap, battery, and battery charger.
Micro Four Thirds: The OM-D E-M5 Mark II interchangeable lens camera has a standard Micro Four Thirds lens mount. It is compatible with a wide variety of Olympus M.Zuiko Digital lenses.
Rugged Construction: The E-M5II's magnesium-alloy and aluminum construction makes the camera lightweight and tough. It is also built with a degree of splash and dust protection, especially around the monitor and card slot, so you can depend on the camera in harsh environments.
Dust Reduction System: The E-M5II's Dust Reduction System includes a Supersonic Wave Filter to eliminate dust particles on the image sensor. The self-cleaning sensor unit silently vibrates 30,000 times per second, ensuring clear, spot-free images.
Freezeproof: In addition to dust and splash protection, the E-M5II is also freezeproof, allowing operation down to 14°F.
Image Pickup Device: The E-M5II uses a 4/3" Live MOS sensor with approximately 17,200,000 total pixels and 16,050,000 effective pixels. This is the same sensor used in Olympus DSLRs, and is 8 times larger than the typical sensor found in the average point-and-shoot camera. The Live MOS sensor is complimented by Olympus' new TruePic VII Image Processor for increased ISO sensitivity and fast auto focusing.
3" Vari-angle Monitor: The camera has a 3" Vari-angle TFT color LCD touchscreen monitor for framing your shots and viewing your digital pictures and videos. The 1,040,000-dot display can be swiveled out 180°, then rotated 270° so you can frame your shots from high above your head or from ground level. You can even view yourself in the monitor while taking self-portraits. Touch navigation lets you control the camera in both the shooting and playback modes with the touch of a finger.
Electronic Viewfinder: In addition to the 3" monitor, the E-M5II has a built-in, high-resolution Electronic Viewfinder (EVF). The 2,360,000 dot EVF provides a bright clear view of your subject with a choice of three different informational display modes. An eye sensor next to the viewfinder automatically switches between the EVF and the 3" monitor. There is also a diopter to let you adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II features built-in Wi-Fi, allowing you to perform many functions wirelessly from your smartphone. The smartphone must have the Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) application, available for Android devices running OS version 2.3 and up, or iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iOS 6.0 or later. Functions that can be performed through the OI.Share app include:
- Image Transfer: You can load images in the camera to a smartphone.
- Remote Shooting: You can remotely operate the camera and shoot using a smartphone.
- Image Processing: You can apply art filters and add stamps on images loaded to a smartphone.
- GPS Tagging: You can add GPS tags to images by transferring the GPS log saved on the smartphone to the camera.
Image Recording Formats: The E-M5II records digital still images in JPEG format, as well as RAW uncompressed images. RAW images can be processed into JPEG files in the camera or using the supplied software. You can record up to 30 seconds of audio with still images in WAV format. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and AVI (Motion JPEG) with 16-bit PCM stereo audio at a 48 kHz sampling rate.
Still Image File Sizes: The E-M5II allows you to shoot still images in 8 sizes with your choice of 4 compression modes. The available picture sizes in the 4:3 aspect ratio include 4608 x 3456, 3200 x 2400, 2560 x 1920, 1920 x 1440, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 1024 x 768, and 640 x 480. You can change the aspect ratio when taking pictures in Live View to 16:9, 3:2, 1:1 or 3:4. Compression modes available for each picture resolution are Super Fine (1/2.7 compression), Fine (1/4), Normal (1/8), and Basic (1/12). RAW images can be recorded only in 4608 x 3456 resolution with lossless compression (approximately 1/1.5 compression).
Hi-Res Shot: For landscapes and studio shots that require maximum detail, the E-M5II offers a 40-megapixel high-resolution shooting option. The 7296 x 5472 Hi-Res Shot is achieved by the camera shooting up to 8 times while moving the image sensor. The camera must be on a tripod or other stable surface, and the subject must be perfectly still. The Hi-Res Shot can be taken in JPEG or RAW+JPEG.
Movie Modes: There are seven movie modes from which to choose:
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) 30p Fine (for movie clips)
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) 60p Fine
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) 60p Super Fine
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) 30p Fine
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) 30p Normal
- HD (1280 x 720) Motion JPEG
- SD (640 x 480) Motion JPEG
Recording Media: Still images and movies with stereo sound are recorded on SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. (Class 10 cards or higher are recommended for movie shooting.) The E-M5II is also compatible with Eye-Fi cards.
5-Axis Image Stabilization: The E-M5II features a new 5-axis in-body Image Stabilization System to automatically compensate for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens. In addition to vertical and horizontal camera shake, the E-M5II's IS System also compensates for rotational movement--pitch, yaw, and roll. You can choose from the following IS modes:
- Still Image Stabilizer (S-IS):
- S-IS Off
- S-IS1: All direction shake I.S.
- S-IS2: Vertical shake I.S.
- S-IS3: Horizontal shake I.S.
- S-IS Auto: Auto I.S.
- Movie Image Stabilizer (M-IS):
- M-IS Off
- M-IS1: All direction shake I.S.-- uses both sensor shift and electronic correction
- M-IS2: All direction shake I.S. --uses sensor shift correction only
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can choose from 3 Easy Shooting Modes, 4 Advanced Shooting Modes, and Movie Mode:
- Easy Shooting Modes:
- iAuto: A full auto mode in which the camera automatically optimizes settings for the current scene. The Live Guide lets you make creative adjustments, and view them on the monitor before you take the shot.
- Scene Modes: You can select from the following Scene Modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Sport, Hand-held Starlight, Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Children, High Key, Low Key, DIS mode, Macro, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Fisheye Effect, Wide Angle, Macro, 3D Photo, and Panning.
- Art Filter: You can select from the following Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale Light & Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Partial Color, and Art Bracketing.
- Advanced Shooting Modes:
- Photo Story: A Photo Story is a series of photos with a theme, and includes different effects, multiple frames and aspect ratios, and display pattern.
- Program Shooting: Aperture and shutter speed are automatically adjusted for optimal results.
- Aperture Priority: You set the aperture manually, and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically.
- Shutter Priority: You set the shutter speed manually between 1/8000 to 60 seconds, Time or Bulb, and the camera sets the aperture automatically.
- Manual: You set the shutter speed and aperture manually.
- Movie Shooting Modes: You can shoot movies when the mode dial is on any mode except Photo Story. Movie Effects you can add include Art Fade, Old Film, Multi Echo, One Shot Echo, and Movie Tele-converter.
Picture Modes (Processing Options): The camera lets you select image tones to create unique image effects. For each picture mode, you can fine-adjust the image parameters, such as contrast and sharpness. The Picture Modes include:
- iEnhance: produces more impressive-looking pictures matched to the scene mode
- Vivid: produces vivid colors
- Natural: produces natural colors
- Muted: produces flat tones
- Portrait: produces beautiful skin tones
- Monotone: produces black and white tones
- Custom: lets you select one of the above modes, set the parameters, and register the setting
- e-Portrait: produces smooth skin textures (cannot be used with bracket photography or for movies)
- Art Filter: choose an art filter (see list above in shooting modes) for the desired effect
Focus Modes: The E-M5II features a fast, contrast type auto focus system. You can select Single-AF (focuses when shutter button is pressed halfway), Continuous-AF (always focusing), or Manual (turning the focus ring). You can also fine-adjust the focus manually by turning the focus ring after AF is performed in the S-AF mode. If you have a moving subject, you can use the AF Tracking feature. In this mode, the camera will track and maintain focus on the subject while the shutter button is held halfway.
Auto-Focus Target: The camera has 81 Auto-Focus targets for focusing on the subject. In the All-Target AF mode, the camera automatically chooses from the full set of the 81 AF targets. In the Single-Target AF mode, you can manually select one AF target for accurately focusing on the subject after composing the shot. The Group Target mode lets you select a group of AF targets, and the camera chooses the specific target from the selected group for focusing.
ISO Settings: The sensitivity can be set automatically or manually. You can set the default and upper limits for Auto ISO. The manual ISO sensitivity ranges from ISO 200 to 25600, and LOW (equivalent to ISO 100). You can choose between steps of 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, and 1 EV.
White Balance: Color reproduction depends upon light conditions. You can choose from 4 options for setting the white balance:
- Auto: For General Use, used for most light conditions
- Preset: You can choose from the following presets:
- 5300K: for shooting outdoors on a clear day, for sunset/sunrise, or fireworks
- 7500K: for shooting outdoors in the shadows on a clear day
- 6000K: for shooting outdoors on a cloudy day
- 3000K: for shooting under a tungsten light
- 4000K: for shooting under fluorescent lighting
- 5500K: for flash shooting
- Underwater: for underwater photography
- Custom: Color temperature set in the custom white balance menu (between 2000K and 14000K)
- One-Touch: Color temperature set by the one-touch WB method
Sequential Shooting: In addition to shooting single frames, the E-M5II can also shoot images continuously. When Sequential H is selected, photos are taken at approximately 10 frames per second for as long as the shutter button is pressed. Focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed at the first shot. Sequential L takes photos at about 5 fps while the shutter button is held down. Focus and exposure are fixed according to the options selected for AF mode and AEL/AFL.
Self-Timer: The Self-Timer lets you take pictures after a preset amount of time. You can choose between 2 seconds or 12 seconds. The Custom Self-Timer lets you set the time delay, number of frames, and the interval between the shots. When Every Frame AF is turned on, each frame is automatically focused before shooting.
Anti-Shock/Silent Shooting: To prevent camera shake caused by the small vibrations that occur during shutter operations, shooting is performed using an electronic front-curtain shutter. You can change the time between the shutter button is pressed all the way down and the shutter is released. Silent Shooting lets you take photos without the camera making the shutter sound. Shooting is performed using electronic shutters for both the front and rear curtains.
Bulb/Time Shooting: The E-M5II can take extra long exposures with bulb and time shooting. When the camera is set to Bulb, the shutter remains open as long as the shutter button stays pressed. When the camera is set to Time, the exposure begins when the shutter button is pressed all the way down, and ends when the shutter button is pressed all the way down a second time. Use of a tripod is highly recommended for bulb and time shooting.
Flash Modes: The E-M5II comes with the external FL-LM3 flash, which attaches to the camera's hot shoe. The camera does not have a built-in flash. You can select from several flash modes: Auto, Fill in flash, Red-eye reduction flash, Slow synchronization (1st curtain), Slow sync (1st curtain) with Red-eye reduction, Slow synchronization (2nd curtain), and Flash off.
Bracketing: To increase your chances of getting the perfect exposure in difficult shooting conditions, you can set the camera to take a number of photos at different exposure values for each frame. Frames are shot at optimum exposure, plus pictures adjusted in the opposite directions of exposure. You can perform bracketing in the following ways:
- AE Bracket: Three frames are shot using automatic exposure. You can set the compensation value to 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV, and the number of shots to 2, 3, 5, or 7.
- WB Bracket: Three frames are shot using different white balances; one at specified WB, one adjusted toward amber-blue color, and the other toward green-magenta. You can set the bracketing adjustments in 2, 4, or 6 steps.
- FL Bracket: Three frames are shot with different flash intensity. Compensation values can be set at 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV.
- ISO Bracket: Three images are taken, each with different ISO sensitivity, with shutter speed and aperture fixed. Compensation values can be set at 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV.
- Art Bracketing: Multiple images are taken, each with a different art filter setting. You can select which art filters to include in the bracketing shot.
Metering Modes: There are 5 ways to measure the subject brightness:
- Digital ESP: Camera measures light levels and calculates the differences in 324 separate areas of the image.
- Center-Weighted Average: Camera provides the average metering between the subject and background lighting, placing more weight on the subject in the center.
- Spot: Camera meters a very small area around the center of the subject.
- Spot with Highlight Control: If overall background is bright, the camera shifts toward over-exposure so white areas don't turn gray.
- Spot with Shadow Control: If overall background is dark, the camera shifts toward under-exposure so black areas don't turn gray.
Face Detection: The camera will detect people's faces in the frame and adjust the focus and metering automatically.
Multiple Exposure: The E-M5II lets you create multiple exposures in a single frame. Methods include: two frames combined as one, portions of one frame merged with portions of another, or RAW frames overlaid in the playback mode.
Digital Level Gauge: To ensure that your pictures are level perfect, the camera has a digital level gauge that can be viewed in the monitor and the electronic viewfinder.
Photo Playback: You can play back images one at a time, or in an index display of 4, 9, 25, or 100. You can also display images recorded on the memory card by date (calendar display). While in single image playback, the image can be magnified to 2x, 3x, 5x, 7x, 10x, or 14x for a closer look.
Playback On TV: The E-M5II allows you to play back your still images or movies on a TV. The camera has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting to an HDTV. Output resolution can be set to 1080p, 720p, and 480p. No Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable is included. In addition, you can connect the camera to a TV with a composite video, using an optional CB-AVC3 cable connected to the camera's multi-connector.
HDMI Control: When HDMI Control is set to "On", the camera can be operated by a TV remote control when it is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV must support HDMI control. During single-frame playback, you can display or hide the information display and the index display.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer, regardless of brand.
Power Options: The E-M5II is powered by the supplied BLN-1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.6 volts/1220mAh). The battery charges in approximately 4 hours in the supplied BCN-1 battery charger. The BLN-1 battery is good for approximately 310 shots on a single charge. When the energy-saving Quick Sleep mode is enabled, battery life is extended to approximately 750 shots.
Optional Power Battery Holder: The optional HLD-8 is a combination battery holder and grip designed for use with the E-M5II. The HLD-8 can hold an additional BLN-1 battery to double the shooting capacity of the camera. The device can be separated into two parts, one tailored to shooting in landscape orientation, and one that is designed for portrait shooting.
Olympus Viewer 3 Software: The E-M5II includes Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The software is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 10
- Mac OS X v10.8 - 10.11
- macOS v10.12
Olympus Capture: The E-M5II is compatible with Olympus Capture camera control software, available for download from the Olympus website. It creates an easy-to-use interface between the camera and your computer for use in the studio.
Micro Four Thirds Mount: The Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II Weatherproof Bundle includes the M. Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4-5.6 II wide angle to medium telephoto zoom. The lens has a Micro Four Thirds mount, and is compatible with the Olympus PEN and OM-D interchangeable lens cameras. This compact, 10.7x zoom lens weighs less than 10 ounces and comes with the LH-61C lens hood.
Rugged Construction: The lens is built to withstand the harshest shooting conditions. It is splash, freeze, and dustproof, so you can shoot is less-than-optimal conditions.
MSC: This high-quality lens has a built-in MSC (Movie and Still Compatible) inner focusing mechanism for fast, quiet auto-focusing, even while shooting movies.
Lens Hood: The included LH-61C lens hood uses a bayonet mount to attach to the end of the lens. The hood helps to reduce glare and to protect the front lens element. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 1.3" to the overall length of the lens. When you don't need to use the lens hood, you can turn it around and reverse-mount it on the lens.
Lens Specifications: The lens has the following specifications:
- Focal Length: 14-150mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 28-300mm
- Maximum Aperture: F4 (14mm) - 5.6 (150mm)
- Minimum Aperture: F22
- Angle of View: 75° - 8.2°
- Maximum Image Magnification: 0.22x (0.44x 35mm equivalent)
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 11 groups (including 1 DSA lens, 1 Aspherical ED lens, 1 ED lens, and 3 HR lenses)
- Focusing Range: 19.7" to infinity
- Diaphragm: 7 blade circular aperture
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Dimensions: Diameter=2.485", Length=3.461" to 5.776" (3.832" to 6.173" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 9.9 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Olympus E-M5 Mark II Weatherproof Kit
16-megapixel mirrorless camera with 14-150mm zoom lens and Wi-Fi®$999.00$1,299.00
Canon EOS M50 Video Creator Kit
24.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm zoom lens, Rode® VideoMic GO™, and 32GB memory card
Sony a6500 (no lens included)
24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Nikon Z7 Kit
Full-frame 45.7-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and 24-70mm zoom lens$3,999.95