California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Klipsch R-120SW by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Hard-hitting Klipsch bass
If you crave deep bass that makes you feel like part of the action on the screen, then you're not alone my friend — I'm right there with you! The 12" Klipsch R-120SW powered subwoofer offers low-frequency punch way down to 29 Hz, which will make dinosaur and spaceship movies take on a whole new level of realism in your room.
A built-in, 200-watt RMS amplifier powers the R-120SW and ensures controlled, accurate bass that sounds great with movie soundtracks and music alike. I use a 12" Klipsch sub in my own home theater system and absolutely love it.
Easy system integration
Line-level and LFE (Low-Frequency Effects) inputs let you easily connect the R-120SW to almost any home theater or stereo receiver. Its back-panel gain, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to your liking, and blend its sound into your system.
- 12" front-firing IMG (Injection Molded Graphite) spun-copper woofer
- 200-watt RMS amplifier (400 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 29-120 Hz
- rear-firing port for increased low-frequency performance
- variable low-pass crossover
- phase switch to fine-tune the subwoofer to your main speakers and room
- line level/LFE (low frequency effects) input
- auto power on/off
- durable MDF cabinet with scratch-resistant textured wood grain vinyl finish
- 14"W x 16-1/2"H x 19-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 2 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered sub
- Grille (installed)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Copper-spun IMG|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||200|
|Frequency Response||29-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
12" Woofer: The Klipsch Reference series R-120SW powered sub is fitted with a powerful 12" copper-spun IMG (injected molded graphite) front-firing woofer for deep bass. The copper-spun IMG woofer is exceptionally light while being extremely rigid, providing remarkable low frequency response with minimal cone breakup and distortion. The front-firing woofer gives you greater placement flexibility than a down-firing woofer.
200 Watt Class D Amp: The Klipsch R-120SW powered sub employs an all-digital 200 watt RMS (400 watt Peak) amplifier for high efficiency and dynamic bass performance. The built-in, all-digital amplifier of the R-120SW subwoofer delivers ample power with high efficiency and true-to-source accuracy reproduction - thus providing maximum output, detail, and power that fills your home.
Rear Firing Port: The R-120SW's enclosure uses a bass reflex design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass.
MDF Cabinet: The R-120SW is housed in a durable MDF cabinet and finished with a scratch resistant, textured wood-grain vinyl. Its reinforced MDF construction reduces cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy - giving you the ultimate listening experience that's built to last. There are heavy-duty rubber feet on the bottom of the cabinet to help isolate the subwoofer from your floor. The included low-profile front grille adds a refined look and is acoustically transparent.
Controls: The level control, low pass crossover, and phase control allow you to blend the powered subwoofer's low-frequency tones with your system's other speakers, as well as establish the ideal level of bass.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Klipsch powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: The variable low pass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Klipsch powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Control: This control is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0˚ or 180˚ in which your subwoofer has more output at the listening position.
LFE/RCA Inputs: The Klipsch R-120SW powered subwoofer is equipped with a pair of line-level RCA-type inputs to connect the sub to your AV receiver or integrated amplifier.
- LFE Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's line-level input labeled "LEFT/LFE". Set the powered sub's built-in crossover to "LFE" with this type of connection.
- Stereo Input: In absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel pre-amp outputs from the receiver to both the "Left/LFE" and "Right" inputs on the powered subwoofer.
LED Indicator: The front-mounted LED power indicator lets you know when the sub is powered on or off. The LED will light green when the powered subwoofer is on and receiving a signal. If the LED is dark and not lit, the powered sub is off.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 15-20 minutes with no audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On or Off manually from the rear-switch on the back.
Placement: Klipsch powered subwoofers are designed to reproduce deep bass and deliver the impact that makes your movies and music come alive. For optimum performance, place your subwoofer in a corner of the room on the same wall as your front channel speakers. Please note that room placement can have a dramatic effect on the performance of your powered subwoofer. Corner placement, as suggested above, will increase the amount of bass output, while placing the subwoofer along the middle of a wall, or out in the room will decrease the amount of bass output.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Klipsch Reference R-110SW
Powered subwoofer, wireless adapter optional
Klipsch Reference R-112SW
Powered subwoofer, wireless adapter optional
Klipsch Reference Premiere SPL-120