Klipsch Reference RW-1
Wireless powered speaker system with DTS Play-Fi®
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Klipsch Reference RW-1 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Klipsch's Reference RW-1 gives you big sound from a speaker that fits on your bedside table.
Compact size, killer sound
The Reference RW-1 wireless speaker uses Klipsch horn technology to deliver outstanding sound from a compact design. Your music will sound clear and balanced with nicely filled-out bass. And the RW-1 looks as good as it sounds, with a sleek black finish and eye-catching copper accents. Best of all, it connects to your home network via Wi-Fi® to wirelessly play your favorite music and internet streaming services.
Superior sound from true speaker experts
The RW-1 features a 3/4" horn-loaded aluminum tweeter with a 90° x 60° Tractrix® horn for crisp, clear highs. A 3-1/2 Cermetallic™ woofer fills in the middle and gives you rich lows. A 30-watt digital amplifier ensures your music is reproduced with accuracy and fidelity.
Klipsch Stream and Play-Fi
The RW-1 was designed to be part of a Klipsch Stream multi-room audio network. Using DTS Play-Fi technology, you can stream stream music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC. The system is compatible with major music services such as TIDAL, Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Amazon Music and iHeartRadio. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription.
Build out your multi-room audio system with additional Klipsch Stream or even other brands of Play-Fi speakers and components. You can have speakers in different rooms playing the same thing, or each speaker playing from a different source. Setup and control are made simple with the free Klipsch Stream app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet.
In addition to Wi-Fi streaming, you can make other connections to the RW-1. A stereo minijack input lets you connect your CD player, receiver, or other audio component. And you can pair two RW-1 speakers wirelessly for stereo sound. Top-mounted backlit controls let you adjust volume without having to use your smartphone or tablet.
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- 3/4" horn-loaded aluminum tweeter matched with a 90° x 60° Tractrix® horn
- 3-1/2" Cerametallic™ woofer for solid bass
- 30 watt digital amplifier
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
Klipsch Stream (DTS Play-Fi):
- allows the RW-1 speaker to communicate with compatible Klipsch and other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- plays music stored on networked hard drives and computers
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple rooms simultaneously, or different songs in each room
- easy wireless setup from your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- can be controlled via Klipsch Stream app (free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play)
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- stereo minijack input
- two RW-1 speakers can be paired for stereo sound
- USB Type A port for software updates
- top-mounted backlit control buttons
- black finish with copper accents
- threaded insert for wall-mounting
- 9"W x 5"H x 5"D
- weight: 3.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
- "Welcome To The Klipsch Family" card
- Spotify brochure
Klipsch Reference RW-1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Compact, Powerful Sound: At just 4.75" (w) x 9" (h) x 5.0625" (d), the Klipsch RW-1 delivers powerful, room-filling sound from a compact speaker system. Klipsch's 0.75" horn-loaded aluminum tweeter with 90° x 60° Tractrix horn delivers crisp highs, while a 3.5" Cerametallic woofer supplies clear vocals and dynamic bass. A 30-watt (RMS)/60-watt (Peak) digital amplifier supplies power to both drivers (3.5 watts to tweeter & 26.5 watts to woofer).
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The RW-1 speaker is part of the Klipsch Stream Wireless Multi-Room System which uses DTS Play-Fi technology to wirelessly distribute your music throughout your home. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Klipsch RW-1 speaker uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment via DTS Play-Fi. The RW-1 connects to your home's network via a wireless (WiFi) or wired (Ethernet) connection). A dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection.
Klipsch Stream App: Download the free Klipsch Stream app onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device or Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device. From the app you can initially set up the Klipsch RW-1 speaker, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or computer to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Klipsch RW-1 wireless speaker system with DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the speaker system through the free Klipsch Stream App.
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Klipsch RW-1 is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The Klipsch RW-1 speaker & DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The speaker system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Apple iOS & Android devices with the Klipsch Stream app installed.
- Select DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music library from your Windows PC or Mac computer (via DLNA).
Note: The Aux input source is not supported by the multiroom audio feature.
Wireless Stereo & Rear Speaker Pairing: You can pair two Klipsch RW-1 wireless speakers together for stereo sound using the Klipsch Stream app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You can even pair two Klipsch RW-1 wireless speakers together as rear speakers for Klipsch's RSB-8 and RSB-14 soundbar speaker systems (sold separately).
Alexa Compatible (future firmware update): The Klipsch Stream series of products will soon be able to support Amazon Alexa voice-commands allowing your to control your Klipsch Stream speakers, soundbars, and multiroom audio systems from any Alexa-enabled device, such as the Amazon Echo or Dot (sold separately). The Klipsch Stream series of products will require a free firmware update (available in 2018 - no exact ETA) through the Klipsch Stream app to enable functionality of Alexa voice control.
Aux Input: The Klipsch RW-1 also features a 3.5mm analog input, so you can connect practically any audio source via either a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm audio cable or an RCA-to-3.5mm audio cable (sold separately). Connect your portable music player, TV, or any audio source with an analog audio output or headphone jack.
USB Port (for Charging & Firmware): The RW-1 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for charging your smartphone device and for firmware updates. The USB port does not support audio playback from computers, Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android devices, thumbdrives, or other USB electronic devices.
Top-Panel Controls: The Klipsch RW-1 features backlit integrated controls on the top of the speaker for simple and quick control of the audio. Top-panel, push-button controls included Power, Volume, & Mute.
Mounting Options: The RW-1 is small enough that it can be placed practically anywhere; on an end-table, shelf, desk, counter top, nightstand, or dresser. It also features a M5 mounting hole that allows you to wall mount the speaker with an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately - see accessories tab).
Power Requirements: The Klipsch RW-1 includes a detachable 6' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The speaker is not battery powered.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
They have play-fi for better overall sound quality. [ Chad Sep 13, 2018 ]
Wireless connection, good quality item [ Arthur Jan 13, 2018 ]
Bought a Klipsch Gate for my current stereo, excited to try to hook this little guy into the network for some kitchen tunes. [ Dan Jun 26, 2017 ]
Because Klipsch speakers are awesome [ Cynthia May 01, 2017 ]
On sale..and the possibility pairing w soundbar for TV sound in another room [ Geoffrey Feb 20, 2017 ]
Wireless connection to sound bar [ antwon Jan 18, 2017 ]