Cambridge Audio Minx X301
Compact powered subwoofer (White)
Our take on the Cambridge Audio Minx X301 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
A sub for bass lovers
High-powered rock concerts, soulful jazz tunes, rumbling action flicks — the Cambridge Audio Minx X301 can handle all of it, and more. It delivers true home theater thunder thanks to a powerful 300-watt built in amplifier. And it's carefully engineered to deliver audiophile-quality bass, so you can experience the visceral impact of big bass drums and baritone saxophones as if the instruments are being played right in front of you. Such room-filling performance might conjure images of a large, unwieldy subwoofer. But the X301 was designed with a surprisingly compact footprint — it measures less than a cubic foot.
Engineered with passion
The Minx X301 uses a newly designed 8" forward firing driver made of a single piece of strong-but-lightweight, aerospace-grade aluminum for amazing punch and attack. It's paired with a passive radiator that adds some serious mid-bass boost. Cambridge Audio's software engineers specially designed the sophisticated Digital Signal Processor (DSP) in this sub, allowing it to pump out sensational bass from a compact enclosure. You may even be fooled into thinking the X301 is several times its size.
- 300-watt RMS amplifier
- 8" front-firing woofer and an 8" bottom-firing passive radiator
- single-piece, high-strength aerospace-grade aluminum cones move air with incredible efficiency
- frequency response 31-200 Hz (-6dB)
- continuously variable 50-200 Hz crossover
- specially designed DSP (Digital Signal Processor) for big bass from a small enclosure
- adjustable phase control
- line-level/LFE subwoofer inputs and outputs
- auto on/off mode
- scratch-resistant high gloss lacquer finish
- 10-1/2"W x 12-1/4"H x 12-3/16"D
- weight: 16.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years speaker, 3 years amp and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- Grille (installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
I am using this for last 7 months. Really good subwoofer and works well with minx 22 on my Yamaha receiver-481. Everyone says Bose is the best but this is not less by any means, with its sound, size and build quality
Kishore, Fishers, IN
Cambridge Audio Minx X301 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-200Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||300|
|Frequency Response||31-200 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
300W Amp w/ DSP: The Cambridge Audio X301 powered subwoofer is equipped with a 300 watt (RMS) amplifier with digital signal processing. Cambridge Audio's software engineers have designed a sophisticated Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to provide real-time control of equalization and dynamic range processing for the maximum possible performance while preventing drivers overloading or distorting. This allows the Minx X301 powered subwoofer to handle more power and play louder.
8" Woofer + 8" Radiator: The Cambridge Audio X301 powered subwoofer uses a front-firing, one-piece, aerospace-grade aluminum 8" cone woofer powered by the built-in 200W amplifier and a down-firing one-piece, aerospace-grade aluminum 8" auxiliary bass radiator. The X301 powered subwoofer uses an ABR system rather than having either an enclosed box (which would require even more power) or a ported design (which would require a bigger cabinet). The result is an extremely efficient and powerful active subwoofer housed in a tiny cabinet.
Controls: The Minx powered subwoofer offers complete rear-panel control of volume, crossover frequency, and phase.
- Volume Control: The Cambridge Audio X301 powered subwoofer has a rear-panel rotary volume control to adjust the volume of the subwoofer relative to the other speakers in the system.
- Crossover Frequency: The X301 powered subwoofer offers a continuously variable low-pass filter, adjustable from 50-200 Hz.
- Phase Adjustment: The powered subwoofer's phase adjustment allows you to adjust the subwoofer's phase between 0° to 180°. If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, adjusting the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass performance.
Connections: The Cambridge Audio X301 powered subwoofer is fitted with stereo RCA inputs and outputs.
- RCA Inputs: The powered subwoofer has gold plated left & right RCA line-level inputs for use with receivers having a subwoofer or stereo preamp output that do not contain their own low-pass crossover. The left channel RCA input doubles as the LFE input, if your receiver has an LFE output and a built-in low-pass crossover.
- RCA Outputs: The powered subwoofer's gold-plated left & right RCA line-level outputs allow you to connect (daisy-chain) a second powered subwoofer.
Auto On/Off: The X301's Auto On/Off feature will switch the powered subwoofer On and Off automatically by signal detection.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I already own Cambridge Minx 22 and Minx 12s and needed a matching subwoofer that was sub compact. [ T Apr 02, 2017 ]
I own Cambridge front and center channel speakers , they are excellent ! [ harry Sep 30, 2016 ]
Replacement for a rear Velodyne Sub that just burnt out after 10 years of use. Compliments my smaller rear Martin Logan electrostics. [ WILLIAM Aug 29, 2016 ]
Cambridge Reputation. [ Bud May 31, 2018 ]
Frequency response better complements my Bose Cubes compared to other products in my price range. [ Mark May 07, 2017 ]