ZVOX SoundBar SB500
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
Our take on the ZVOX SoundBar SB500 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The ZVOX SB500 looks great wall-mounted, or it can rest on a stand with your TV.
Bigger sound for bigger spaces
Looking for an easy way to upgrade your TV's sound quality? The ZVOX SB500 houses three high-performance speakers and two woofers in a slim, acoustically stable aluminum cabinet so it can fill a larger room with sound without filling it with speakers. Flexible connections include both digital and analog audio inputs, for newer or older TVs. The cables are included, so you have everything you need for a quick setup. You can use your existing TV, cable, or satellite remote to control volume, mute, and power on the sound bar. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream any music you listen to on your compatible mobile device to the SB500.
Dial in the sound you want
The SB500 adds volume and clarity to your TV setup, but it doesn't stop there. It offers a custom listening experience for different situations. PhaseCue® virtual surround creates three-dimensional home theater sound for more dynamic sound from movies and TV shows. The AccuVoice® feature uses hearing aid technology so dialogue is extra clear. ZVOX's Output Leveling feature eliminates the sudden, jarring shifts in volume that occur when commercials come on or when you switch channels.
- Dolby Digital® decoding
- PhaseCue virtual surround sound creates spacious effects
- AccuVoice dialogue emphasis mode uses circuitry similar to a hearing aid to enhance vocal clarity
- Output Leveling mode helps tame loud commercials
- MegaBass system uses advanced digital contouring for deep, accurate bass
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music wirelessly from a compatible device
- aptX® audio coding for better Bluetooth sound quality with compatible devices
- built-in 140-watt Class D amplifier
- three 2" full-range drivers
- two 4" woofers
- frequency response 42-20,000 Hz
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 1 stereo RCA analog audio input
- mono RCA line-level output for adding a powered subwoofer
- learns commands from your TV remote
- remote control also included
- aluminum cabinet provides strength, rigidity, and lower resonance for better sound
- 43-5/16"W x 5-3/4"H x 3-5/16"D
- weight: 12.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 47" DC cord)
- 40" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 6.5' Stereo RCA cable
- 58" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 2 Rubber feet
- Setup & Operation Guide
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Adjustment Options" booklet
- "Using Bluetooth" instructions
- Programming Remote instructions
This has totally solved my inability to hear dialogue, especially British accents. Plus TV sound is incredible and my music through Bluetooth is quite good. I've returned several soundbars but this one is staying.
Anonymous, Riverhead, NY
ZVOX SoundBar SB500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||N/A|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||42-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||140|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||5-11/16H x 43-15/16W x 3-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||12.6 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The ZVOX SB500 active soundbar speaker system adds great sound to your high-definition or ultra-HD flat-panel television. The SB500 uses three high-performance speakers, two built-in powered subwoofers, an acoustically stable aluminum cabinet, and a 140-watt Class-D digital amplifier to create warm, natural sound, and surprisingly powerful bass. The ZVOX SB500 uses PhaseCue virtual surround to create three-dimensional home theater sound from one speaker, incorporates AccuVoice hearing aid technology to deliver incredibly clear voices, and offers Output Leveling to tame loud commercials. The ZVOX SB500 active soundbar speaker system provides digital (Optical/Coax) and analog (RCA) inputs, built-in Bluetooth music streaming, and remote control.
Advanced Speaker Design: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 speaker system incorporates high-quality full-range drivers, built-in subwoofers, a highly efficient Class-D amplifier, and digital signal processing for high-fidelity sound. And its all packed inside a slim, aluminum cabinet.
- 3 Full-Range Drivers (including dedicated center): The Soundbar SB500 features three high-performances full-range 2" drivers for crisp, detailed sound. One of the full-range drivers is a dedicated center speaker for excellent dialog and vocal reproduction.
- Dual Subwoofers w/ MegaBass: The soundbar speaker is also equipped with two long-excursion 4" woofers for accurate bass & midbass response. The new ZVOX MegaBass feature uses digital processing to tailor sound and control the subwoofers to a degree never before achieved. The result is robust, accurate bass (down to 42 Hz) without an external subwoofer.
- Class-D Amplifier: The ZVOX SB500 employs a highly efficient 140W Class-D amplifier that includes digital signal processing (DSP) for superb frequency response. The result is a very warm, natural, smooth, and accurate sound.
- Aluminum Bass Reflex Cabinet: The SB500 features a stylish, slim cabinet constructed of anodized aluminum (not plastic). The metal design provides low-resonance audio characteristics, and allows the SB500 to produce room-filling sound. The cabinet is ported on one end for added efficiency and bigger bass response.
Note: If the built-in dual subwoofers are not enough bass for you, the SB500 also has a mono-subwoofer output so you can add a powered subwoofer for even bigger bass.
PhaseCue Virtual Surround Sound: The Soundbar SB500 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. PhaseCue, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, virtually surrounding the listener. You choose from 3 PhaseCue Virtual Surround Sound modes.
- Surround 1: Low virtual surround effect and strong vocals for enhanced vocal clarity.
- Surround 2: Moderate virtual surround effect and moderate vocals for most program material.
- Surround 3: Strong virtual surround effect and moderate vocals for movies.
Note: AccuVoice cannot be used in conjunction with a PhaseCure Virtual Surround Sound mode.
Audio Enhancements: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 offers a variety of audio adjustments to enhance your listening experience.
- AccuVoice: The Soundbar SB500 includes the ZVOX AccuVoice feature, which uses hearing aid technology to create super-clear voice reproduction. When you push the "ACCU" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized.
- Output Leveling: The Soundbar SB500's Output Leveling feature automatically turns down loud commercials, while boosting audio levels from DVD and Blu-ray movies that are not loud enough. Simply press the "OL" button on the included remote and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on.
- Bass & Treble: The Soundbar SB500 has independent bass and treble controls. Each has a range from -4 to 4, and can be adjusted using the remote control only.
Note: AccuVoice and Output Leveling can be activated simultaneously.
Digital & Analog Inputs: The Soundbar SB500 has one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial digital input, plus one analog stereo RCA audio input on the rear-panel. The digital inputs will support both 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1ch audio. The analog inputs only support 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Wireless Audio + aptX: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, etc.. You'll be able to stream stored music or music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the soundbar speaker system. The Soundbar SB500 even employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like Android OS 4.0+). You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enable mobile device for music navigation and to view song/artist information.
Remote Control: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the speaker system. The included wireless remote has controls for power, input select, mute, volume, PhaseCue II effect level, bass & treble level, and DE/OL functions. The Soundbar SB500 can also be programmed to respond to your TV or satellite/cable remote control. Once programmed, you can control volume, mute, input, and power with your TV or satellite/cable remote. There are also Power, Volume, and Input control buttons on one end of the soundbar speaker.
Note: Many newer TVs are coming with RF remotes and don't offer IR functionality. In this case, you would not be able to program the soundbar and TV remote to work together.
Hidden Display: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble, and PhaseCue (virtual surround); plus shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or AccuVoice (ACCU) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or side-panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can either be table-top or wall-mounted, and works well with TVs from 50" to 80". You can place the SB500 on any flat, stable surface near your TV. There are three general placement options to choose from (Face Front, Face Up, & Wall-Mount). The SB500 has a "Tonal Profile" adjustment to allow it to sound better based on its room placement.
- Face Front: You can place the SB500 on a flat surface so it faces forward. This placement is ideal for a shelf below, above, or near the television.
- Face Up: You can place the SB500 facing up; often in front of the television. Check to ensure the SB500 does not block the television infrared remote sensor. There should be no shelf or flat surface immediately above the SB500 in this configuration.
- Wall-Mount: The SB500 has two sturdy keyhole-shaped hanger mounts on the back-panel. You can hang the SB500 on two screw-heads (not included) that are securely installed in a wall or other vertical surface.
Auto On/Off: The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 will automatically turn on if it senses a volume adjustment or power command from your programmed remote control or the included remote control. The Soundbar SB500 will also automatically turn off if the selected input is silent for longer than approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
wall street journal [ Taeho Feb 15, 2018 ]
After reading literally hundreds of reviews and forum posts I felt like the SB500 got me 80% the way to "the best" without delving into the world of diminishing returns. [ Joshua Jan 14, 2018 ]
Great reviews [ MEADE Jan 07, 2018 ]
Did some research on the internet and decided on this model. We have been very happy with the performance as had a problem hearing the speakers on the TV set. [ Dean C. Aug 18, 2017 ]
Ratings [ Scott Aug 09, 2017 ]
Because this soundbar has accu-voice. [ Kay Jun 24, 2017 ]
Looks like it will provide clear dialogue and good sound all around without a subwoofer. The reviews are good. [ John Mar 23, 2017 ]
Crutchfield & Sound & Vision Reviews ! [ Edmond Feb 25, 2017 ]
Excellent ratings pertaining to voice quality. [ Douglas Jan 30, 2017 ]
I wanted a sound bar without a subwoofer and one that had great voice or people talking quality. The SB500 had great reviews wherever I looked on the internet. [ John Nov 28, 2016 ]
I have read very good reviews about it and wanted no subwoofer. [ mark Nov 23, 2016 ]
Reviews on several web sites. [ Peter Oct 17, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
I wouldn't think it would effect the sound set up that way. I have mine in front of the tv facing the listener. [ CLARENCE Feb 01, 2018 ]
Hi I have mine under my tv on the wall in my garage Therefore tv above and wall behind but nothing below I would expect it still would be ok [ SAMUEL A Feb 01, 2018 ]
I have my soundbar standing up facing me, I wouldn't think the sound would be effected covering the top,back, and bottom. [ BARRY Feb 01, 2018 ]
It's an excellent soundbar. I don't think your installation would have any negative impact, though note that since the it does not have a separate sub you may get a bit stronger bass response. That said, you won't be disappointed! [ DAVID G Feb 02, 2018 ]
The speakers face the front. The bass comes out from the left end. [ BLAIR Feb 01, 2018 ]
IT SHOULD'NT MATTER. THE SPEAKERS ARE FRONT FIRING. [ Thomas Feb 01, 2018 ]
I have had this unit standing up on end and also on floor of unit with a similar rectangular opening and the sound is great either way. Optimal would be wall hung or on shelf but sound is not compromised. Also you will wind up keeping accuvoice turned on as it enhances voices clarity significantly without compromising bass and mid range. [ STEPHEN Feb 01, 2018 ]
Though we have ours on an open rack, I think there'd be minimal to no impact on the sound if the top, bottom and back are covered. There's a bass port on the left side so that should remain unobstructed. [ Spencer Feb 01, 2018 ]
The ZVOX Soundbar SB500 will automatically turn on if it senses a volume adjustment or power command from your programmed remote control or the included remote control. The input source would need to be changed manually from the remote or using the controls on the soundbar itself. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Jul 11, 2016 ] Staff
Tax is only charged if shipping to the state of Virginia, all others no. [ Kenny Apr 23, 2016 ] Staff
?43-5/16"W x 5-3/4"H x 3-5/16"D You'll find this listed for most every product we offer under the "Product Highlights" section as you scroll down it's main webpage. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Apr 22, 2016 ] Staff
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
ZVOX SoundBar SB500
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
ZVOX SoundBar SB400
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®
TV sound bar/wireless music system
ZVOX SoundBar SB700
Powered home theater sound bar with Bluetooth®