Kenwood Excelon KVT-819DVD
DVD receiver (New Stock)
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KVT-819DVD by Crutchfield's Matt Holliday
The Kenwood Excelon KVT-819DVD DVD receiver lets you enjoy movies and music in your vehicle, build a system to fit your lifestyle, and control it all from a bright 7" touchscreen. View your favorite movies on the KVT-819DVD when you're parked, or enjoy all your music burned to CDs or DVDs when you're on the road. The KVT-819DVD will even play high-quality DVD-Audio discs.
Two USB inputs let you listen to music files on a thumbdrive, or use the receiver to charge your digital devices. You can add a game console or separate video source with the two audio/video inputs, or use the A/V output to connect a separate back seat monitor. Dual-zone mode allows front seat passengers to enjoy music while people in the rear seat watch a movie.
You'll find a host of options for building a system. Add Kenwood's optional navigation system for complete turn-by-turn directions. The optional Bluetooth® adapter lets you hear incoming calls on your compatible phone through your stereo, while the optional iPod® adapter gives you total control over your videos and music through the receiver's touchscreen.
Kenwood's add-on HD Radio tuner improves the sound quality of participating AM/FM stations. Hook up an optional rear-view camera, a great option if you have a large vehicle or tow a trailer.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized, retractable 7" LCD video screen with touchscreen controls and selectable backgrounds
- wireless remote
- plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, JPEG images, and AAC/MP3/WMA discs
- DVD-Audio compatible
- System E's+ Advanced Crossover system
- RBDS with RT+ for on-screen, over-the-air information from radio stations
- compatible with Kenwood's Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner, TV tuner, CD changer, and iPod adapter
- compatible with Kenwood add-on navigation
- inputs: two 2.0 USB ports, two audio/video inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: audio/video out, three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, and subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- dual-zone capability
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/DVD/Changer controller receiver with retractable monitor
- Detachable protection panel (installed)
- Panel storage bag
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Hideaway unit
- RC-DV330 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 19.5' Connection cable (has 26-pin connector on each end)
- 19.5' Antenna cord extension (has a male Motorola plug on one end and a female Motorola plug on the other)
- 19.5' Hideaway unit wiring harness (has in-line 10A fuse)
- 13" Power/Ground/ACC headunit harness (has in-line 5A fuse)
- 39" relay harness
- 2 Hideaway unit installation brackets
- 2 Removal tools
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- Four M4 x 8mm machine screws (each screw has 1 flat washer and 1 lock washer)
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Two 4" wire-ties
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Installation Manual (English/Spanish)
- Installation Manual (French)
- Warranty Card
- Hideaway mounting caution sheet
- Software License Agreement sheet
- Kenwood Car Audio Passport
Kenwood Excelon KVT-819DVD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red or Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Overview: The Kenwood eXcelon KVT-819DVD is a two piece in-car multi-media unit. The KVT-819DVD consists of an integrated in-dash DVD/CD player and motorized monitor with touch-screen controls that is capable of fitting in a standard Din-size opening along with a hide-away unit that contains many of the system connections. The integrated DVD/CD player and monitor attaches to the hide-away unit via a supplied proprietary cable. The head unit also features a power/ground/acc harness. The hide-away unit features the system's main 22-pin harness.
Motorized Video Display: This unit is equipped with a motorized 6.97" widescreen LCD with 336,960 pixels(480Hx234VxRGB) that serves as a video monitor and system information display. When the unit is turned off the LCD screen electronically slides inside the unit's chassis.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle and position for better visibility. The display slides forward and backward, allowing you to choose one of 4 slide positions. You can also choose one of 8 tilt angles.
Auto Open/Close: When this feature is active, the display automatically opens when the unit is turned on and closes when the unit is turned off.
Touch Screen Controls: This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the display's brightness, contrast, and black level. Additionally, you can change the background and menu graphics.
Backgrounds: The unit features backgrounds that can be selected from readily available patterns or you can create your own by using original pictures or images downloaded from your portable USB device. The unit also includes three skins designs to choose from.
Switchable Key Illumination: The keyed illumination buttons on the front of the unit can be switched to illuminate red or green.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the touch-screen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen and on the detachable protection/control panel.
Detachable Protection/Control Panel: To prevent theft, the protection panel can be detached.
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Selectable Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes for the display monitor for each of the video modes (iPod Video, DVD and Video 1 or 2).
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Just: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
A/V AUX Input: The DVD/CD player features a set of audio/video 3.5mm inputs on the rear of the unit. There is one stereo 3.5mm input for audio and another 3.5mm input for video. They are attached to the back of the headunit by a 36" pigtail. The A/V AUX input can be used to transfer audio and video signal from your potable MP3/Photo/Video player to the KVT-819DVD.
Dual Zone Control: The head unit can send one audio source to the front speakers and front preamp outputs while simultaneously sending another audio source to the rear speakers and rear preamp outputs, with independent volume control for each zone.
B.M.S. (Bass Management System): When used with a compatible Kenwood eXcelon amplifier, you can adjust the bass boost level of the amplifier through this head unit. You may select Flat, or boost the bass of the amplifier by +6, +12 or +18. The center frequency of the bass boost can be adjusted using the B.M.S. Amp Frequency setting. This setting allows you to choose Normal or Low. When Low is selected, the center frequency is dropped 20-30%.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player
Remote Control: The KVT-819DVD is equipped with the RC-DV330 full-function remote control with a numeric keypad. A slide switch allows you to switch between the control modes for the built-in DVD/CD player, a TV source, a Navigation source and a tuner/disc changer/disc player source.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The KVT-819DVD has a "steering remote control" lead on the hide-away unit's harness. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (item #127SWIJACK), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult "What Fits My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Rear View Camera Input: The hide-away unit has an additional video jack for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CCD-2000 (item # 113CCD2000). The video from this input can be set to display when switched to with the Video Select button, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. You can also display the video of the rear view camera in a mirror image, if desired.
Note: The purple/white wire in the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching.
Disc Compatibility: The KVT-819DVD is compatible with the following disc formats.
- DVD: DVD-video, DVD-audio, DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W, DVD-R DL, and DVD+R DL
- CD: CD-audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DTS-CD, and Video CD
Note: CD-EXTRA and Super Audio CDs will only playback the CD portion of the disc. HDCDs will playback in normal CD sound quality.
DVD-Audio: The KVT-819DVD will support DVD-Audio discs. DVD-audio is similar to CD-audio, however it offers higher quality sound from 16, 20 and 24-bit samples at a variety of sampling rates from 44.1 to 192KHz, compared to 16 bits and 44.1KHz for CDs. DVD-Audio can also contain music videos and graphics.
AAC-LC/MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play AAC-LC (.M4a), MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD+/-R/W discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders per disc, and 255 files per folder. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
JPEG/MPEG/DivX Playback: In addition to MP3/WMA/AAC-LC discs, this unit can play discs with JPEG, MPEG and DivX files. You can display JPEG images of up to 8192 x 7680 pixels, and progressive format JPEG images of up to 1600 x 1200 pixels. The unit can also play MPEG1 videos of 320 x 240 and 352 x 240 (NTSC) plus MPEG2 videos of 640 x 480 and 720 x 480 (NTSC). In addition, the unit can play DivX video of 352 x 240, 352 x 288, 720 x 450, and 720 x 576.
CD Read Setting: If there is a problem with the CD player reading a disc with a special format, you can switch to a second CD Read setting which "forces" the player to read the disc. CD Read setting 1 is for normal CDs and MP3/WMA discs, while CD Read setting 2 cannot read MP3/WMA discs.
Direct Search: By entering its number with the supplied remote, you can directly access title, chapter, time, track, channel, or frequency.
Disc Name Preset (DNPS): You may assign names to discs played in the internal CD player. Each disc name can be up to 16 characters long, and the receiver has a memory capacity for up to 10 discs. (See below for further DNPS features with CD changers)
Control Screens: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. You can touch the left one-third of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right one-third of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD Disc Menu control buttons, while pressing the center briefly displays the information screen.
Selectable DVD Aspect Ratio Modes: You can choose from the following Aspect Ratio modes when viewing DVDs.
- 16:9: displays wide pictures
- 4:3 LB: displays wide pictures in the Letter Box format (having black stripes at the top and bottom of the screen)
- 4:3 PS: displays wide pictures in the Pan & Scan format (showing pictures cut at the right and left ends)
Multi-angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner, which provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner incorporates an Automatic Noise Reduction Circuit (ANRC), along with the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC), for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC feature can be turned on or off.
Direct Access Tuning: When using the remote, you can directly access any radio station by entering the frequency on the numeric keypad.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations and TV stations. Up to 30 AM/FM stations and 20 TV stations can be given a name. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length.
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency. RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood eXcelon KVT-819DVD utilizes a Walfson High-Resolution 24-bit digital to analog converter for extremely superior DVD/CD sound quality.
Independent Mid-Point Circuit: This special circuit keeps high-fidelity music signals from being affected by variations in voltage allowing for continuous super sound performance.
System Q EX Sound Control: Six EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, and Jazz. In addition, you may store your own settings under the User EQ curve. Each preset has its own bass center frequency, bass output level, bass Q factor, bass extension setting, middle center frequency, middle output level, middle Q factor, treble center frequency, and treble output level settings. For the User preset, you may adjust the following: bass center frequency (40, 50, 70, 80, 80, 100, 120, or 150Hz), bass level (-8 to +8), bass Q factor (1.00, 1.25, 1.50 or 2.00), bass extension (On or Off), middle center frequency (500 Hz, 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0kHz), middle level (-8 to +8), middle Q factor (1.0 or 2.0), treble center frequency (10.0, 12.5, 15.0 or 17.5kHz), and treble level (-8 to +8). The System Q EX can be turned off in the menu, still allowing you to adjust the bass, middle and treble levels.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the System Q EX Sound Control settings according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
System E's+ Advanced Crossover System: The System E's+ Advanced Crossover system allows you to select independent high-pass filters for the front preamp/speaker outputs and rear preamp/speaker outputs. Each high-pass filter frequency may be set to 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, or Through (off). In addition, the unit has a low-pass filter for the non-fading preamp outputs. The low-pass filter may be set to 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Through (off). The phase of the non-fading preamp output may be set to Normal or Reverse. You can also adjust the level of the subwoofer output from -50 to +10 in 1dB increment.
Bass DC Extension: When this feature is turned on it extends the bass center frequency to the low register by approximately 20% adding additional bass response to your system.
Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
Setup Memory: Audio Setup and AV Interface settings can be memorized and recalled at any time. When the settings are cleared when the unit is disconnected from the battery, they can be restored.
2 USB Ports: The Kenwood KVT-819DVD features two rear panel 2.0 USB type-A ports that are attached to the chassis with 36" pigtails to allow for various placement options during installation. The USB ports enable connection and control of your portable USB mass-storage players, USB thumb drives and audio control of MP3 player. The USB ports are compatible with all USB mass-storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. A single or multi-slot card reader can also be connected the USB ports, allowing your music to be put neatly into different types of memory cards. Your USB device's rechargeable battery will recharged while it's connected to a USB port and the KVT-819DVD is turned on. One of the USB ports is labeled for iPod control which can be used with the optional Kenwood iPod adapter (see "iPod High Speed Connection").
Note: The iPod nano and iPod video can be hooked up directly via USB, but without the Kenwood adapter cable (KCA-iP300V), you will not be able to play iTunes or other copyright protected content and you will lose any audio/video file browsing control.
iPod High Speed Connection: The iPod USB port and A/V AUX input are also compatible with iPod devices when used with the optional KCA-iP300V adapter (part # 113IP300V, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod data communications of 12MB/bps via the optional KCA-iP300V (3-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses three connectors that plug into the back of the KVT-819DVD. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port and handles the control and charging of your iPod, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the headunit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display. The two 3.5mm miniplug connectors of the cable plug into the unit's A/V 3.5mm inputs and transfer the music and video from your iPod to your Kenwood DVD/CD player. By using the Auxiliary input the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod. The controls of the KVT-819DVD are seamless when used with the optional KCA-iP300V and include metadata browsing and playback of DRM contents, as well as the ability to choose any iPod playback mode to suit your listening application. The following iPods can be controlled from this unit - Fifth Generation iPods (iPod with video), iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation) and iPhone/iPhone3G. Be sure to download the latest version software for iPod from Apple's website before connecting this cable to your compatible Kenwood multimedia headunit.
Note: Currently this interface does not support video playback for the iPod touch or iPhone but will support audio from the iPod touch and iPhone.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth adapter. Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT200 adapter. Visit http://www.kenwood.com/bt/information/ for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Navigation Compatibility: The KVT-819DVD is compatible with the following Kenwood navigation systems: KNA-G510 (item 113KNAG510), KNA-DV4100 (item 113KNADV41), KNA-DV3100, and KNA-DV2100. The navigation system can be connected via the 13-pin I/F jack on the back of the hide-away unit (I/F cable supplied with the navigation system). Third party navigation systems with composite video and stereo RCA outputs can also be connected via the AV input. You can select which speakers are used for navigation voice guidance: front left, front right, or both front speakers. You can also set the volume for the voice guidance audio.Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner and the CNP-KEN1 Kenwood adapter cable (package item number 700XMKEN1).
- SIRIUS: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect vehicle tuner (item number 607SCC1) and the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50).
- Dock: Select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios can be controlled using the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50) and the SC-VDOC1 dock (item number 607SCVDOC1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input (adapter may be required).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item # 113KTCHR20), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
TV Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-V300N TV tuner (sold separately, item number 113KTCV300).
Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. This unit features the following display features when connected to a compatible Kenwood CD-changer.
- Disc Name Preset (DNPS): When used with a compatible CD changer, this feature allows you to assign names to discs in the changer. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length. The number of names you can store depends on the CD changer that is connected to the head unit.
- CD Text/MD Display: When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer or an MD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
Back Panel of Head Unit:
- To Hideaway Unit: 26-pin jack connects the head unit to the hideaway unit using the supplied connection cable
- Power: 4-pin jack for use with supplied head unit wiring harness
- USB: Female type-A USB terminal on a 36" pigtail on the back of the unit for connection of USB mass-storage devices. This connection will pass audio, but it will not pass video.
- USB (iPod): Female type-A USB terminal on a 36" pigtail on the back of the unit for connection of USB devices. This connection is also compatible with your dock connector iPod using the optional KCA-iP300V, sold separately.
- 3.5mm A/V Input: 3.5mm audio input and 3.5mm video input on a set of 36" pigtails on the rear unit for portable MP3/Video players. These terminals are also compatible with your dock connector iPod using the optional KCA-iP300V, sold separately.
- 3.5mm Toslink Output: Not operational; do not connect
Front Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- FM/AM Antenna: female Motorola jack
- AV Input 1 and 2: two sets of left and right RCA audio jacks with a RCA composite video jack each
- AV Output: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- Rear Camera Input: RCA composite video jack for use with an optional rear-view camera
- Front Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Sub Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Power: 22-pin jack for use with supplied hideaway wiring harness
- Relay Unit: 4-pin jack for use with supplied relay harness
Back Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- To 5L I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood changer
- To Monitor I/F: 26-pin jack that connects to the head unit using the supplied connection cable
- To TV-Tuner I/F: 20-pin proprietary jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood TV tuner
- To Navigation I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood navigation unit
- Width: 10.265" (including brackets)
- Height: 1.5625"
- Depth: 8.235" (including cables)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.