Olympus Stylus Tough TG Tracker
4K Ultra HD action cam with Wi-Fi® (Black)
From Olympus: TG Tracker Product Features
From Olympus: TG Tracker Product Overview
Our take on the Olympus Stylus Tough TG Tracker by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Shed some light on your next adventure
The Olympus Stylus Tough TG Tracker is the first rugged action camera we've seen that has a built-in LED headlight. It might not sound like much, but it opens up a whole new world for nighttime shooting, spelunking... anything that takes place in less-than-ideal lighting conditions. It's a thoughtful detail to go along with the camera's core personality: it's a waterproof, nearly indestructible 4K action camera that looks awesome in your hand. It comes with a pistol grip handle to make action video shooting even easier. The flip-out 1-1/2" LCD screen lets you see what you're shooting.
- rugged 8-megapixel 4K Ultra HD (30 fps) action camera
- dustproof, shockproof, freezeproof, crushproof, and waterproof to 100 feet
- 1-1/2" flip-out LCD screen lets you monitor as you film
- built-in LED spotlight shines at 60 lumens for one minute or 30 lumens for 30 minutes
- Wi-Fi equipped for easy uploading of files to social media
- 5-axis digital image stabilization
- 204° field of view lets you take in more of the action at once (94° in underwater mode)
- capture a series of photos at 0.5-60 second intervals to create a time lapse video
- built-in mono microphone captures the sounds that go with your video
- records to microSD card (speed class 10 recommended)
- pistol grip for handheld shooting included
- HDMI port for playing back your videos on a TV
Action Sensor System:
- Glonass GPS positioning and electronic compass
- temperature sensor
- barometric pressure sensor shows altidude or depth
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 1-3/8"W x 2-1/4"H x 3-11/16"D
- weight: 6.35 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Stylus TG-Tracker digital camera (black)
- LP-T01 Lens protector (installed)
- LI-92B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V 1360mAh)
- F-5AC AC adapter (5V 1500mA)
- Steady grip
- Mount coupling (installed on grip)
- Joint screw (installed on grip)
- Underwater Lens Protector
- 23" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
- Maintaining Water Resistance sheet
Given as a gift; her response: Yes I got that and I picked up the package yeaterday! 5 stars for everything I don't have anything I don't like!
Anonymous, Surprise, AZ
Olympus Stylus Tough TG Tracker Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.5|
|Total Pixel Count||Not given|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8 MP|
|Built-in Video Light||Yes|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||95 min (4K)|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||8 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Micro-B USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Olympus Stylus Tough TG-Tracker is an ultra-compact action camera that can record 4K UHD video and 8 mega-pixel still images. Like other members of the Olympus Tough family, the TG-Tracker is built to withstand the most rigorous activities. The camera is equipped with GPS, Compass, Wi-Fi, Accelerometer, and Temperature and Barometric Pressure sensors. It comes with a coupling that can be used with other action camera mounts, including GoPro, and a Steady Grip that makes it easy to shoot from any angle.
Rugged Design: The TG-Tracker is built to the following standards:
- Waterproof: The camera features waterproof seals and gaskets that allow you to take movies and photos underwater at depths of up to 100 feet for up to one hour, without the need for a separate underwater housing. (IEC Standard Publication 60529 IPX8)
- Shockproof: The camera is built to withstand a 7-foot drop without a separate housing.* (MIL-STD-810F, Method 516.5, Procedure IV)
- Freezeproof: The camera can withstand temperature extremes, down to 14°F.
- Crushproof: The camera can withstand up to 220 foot-pounds of pressure (without a separate housing).*
- Dustproof: The seals and gaskets prevent dust from entering the camera. (IEC 60529 IP6X)
* The shockproof and crushproof tests were performed with the tilt-out LCD monitor closed.
Image Sensor/Processor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with approximately 8 MP megapixels for video and still images. The TruePic VII image processor provides the power for recording 4K video and still images with rich detail and color.
Optics: The TG-Tracker has a 1.58mm lens with a 35mm equivalent of 13.9mm. It has a maximum aperture of f2.0 and a super-wide 204° field of view (161° with Image Stabilization on). In the Underwater Mode, the angle of view is reduced to 156° (126° with IS on) above water and 94° underwater (84° with IS on). The focus range is 7.8" to infinity.
1.5" LCD Monitor: The camera has a tilt-out 1.5" LCD monitor with a resolution of 115,000 dots, 4:3 aspect ratio, and a 2-step brightness adjustment. You can view the video as it's being recorded, playback recordings and photos, or maneuver through the menus on the LCD monitor. It can be left in its original position folded back against the side of the camera, or it can be pulled out up to 90° for best viewing angle.
Recording Media: The TG-Tracker has a slot for a microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory card. Class 10 or higher SDXC cards are recommended. SDXC UHS-I cards should be used for recording 4K movies. No memory is included with the camera.
Headlamp: On the front of the camera, just above the lens, is a bright LED headlamp for illuminating dark scenes. The lamp's intensity can be set to Flashlight Mode (60 lumens) or Normal Mode (30 lumens). Flashlight Mode has an effective distance of 10 feet and a run time of 60 seconds. Normal mode has an effective range of up to 3 feet, with a run time of 30 minutes.
Action Track Sensor System: The TG-Tracker features five built-in sensors that provide data that can be embedded into video recordings and photos. You can also record data into a temporary memory buffer, using the Log function. You can display the location data, compass reading, an artificial horizon, and altitude/depth data on the monitor. The built-in sensors include:
- GPS: Using overhead global-positioning satellites, the camera can determine its location.
- Compass: The built-in electronic compass (or e.compass) can determine the direction the camera is facing.
- Accelerometer: The accelerometer measures G-force.
- Barometric Pressure: The barometric pressure sensor measures both altitude, when above water, and water depth, when underwater.
- Temperature: The temperature sensor measures the ambient temperature.
Video Recording: The TG-Tracker is capable of recording 4K Ultra High Definition, and 1080p Full HD video. Movies are recorded in MOV H.264 format with Linear PCM audio. Individual movies are limited to 29 minutes in length (except for 854 x 480), and the maximum file size of a single movie is 4 GB, regardless of the capacity of the memory card. You can choose from the following image size and frame rates:
|Frame Size||Frame Rate|
|4K: 3840 x 2160||30 fps|
|FHD: 1920 x 1080||60 fps, 30 fps|
|HD: 1280 x 720||240 fps*, 120 fps*, 60 fps, 30 fps|
|480: 854 x 480||240 fps*, 120 fps*, 60 fps, 30 fps|
* No sound is recorded with movies shot at 120 or 240 fps.
Still Images: JPEG Still images up to 8 MP can be recorded with the TG-Tracker at the following resolutions:
- 8.0 MP: 3840 x 2160
- 2.1 MP: 1920 x 1080
- 0.9 MP: 1280 x 720
- 0.4 MP: 854 x 480
Time-Lapse Movies: You can record a series of still images at a pre-selected interval and combine them into a time-lapse video. This mode is especially effective for recording a sunrise or sunset, cloud movement, and other periods of time, and condensing it into a few seconds of video. Time-Lapse settings can be selected for the following:
- Overall Brightness: -2.0 to +2.0 (exposure compensation)
- Field-of-View: Wide, Narrow (for underwater)
- White Balance: Auto, Underwater, Sunny, Cloudy)
- Frame size: 4K, FHD, HD, 480
- Interval: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds
Note: Maximum time-lapse movie length is 29 minutes, and maximum file size is 4 GB.
Shooting Options: The Tough TG-Tracker offers several video and still image shooting options:
- Loop: You can set the camera to repeatedly record fixed-length movies. At the end of the selected time, the camera immediately begins recording a new movie. Movie lengths can be set to 3 min, 5 min, 10 min, or Max (29 min or 4 GB file size).
- Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the overall brightness of the video or photos from -2.0 EV (darker) to +2.0 EV (brighter), in 0.3 EV increments.
- White Balance: White balance can be set to Auto, Underwater Auto, Sunny, or Cloudy.
- Field of View: The TG-Tracker has a extremely wide 204° field of view. You can rotate the image 180° for a "flipped" view. When shooting underwater, the field of view is reduced due to the physical dimension of the supplied lens protector. There are are 4 field of view settings: Wide, Underwater Wide, Flipped Wide, Flipped Underwater Wide.
- Image Stabilization: To reduce camera blur, you can enable the 5-axis digital image stabilization. The field of view is reduced. Image stabilization is not available when recording at 120 or 240 fps.
- G Chapter: You can use vibration to mark a new chapter in a recording. The G Chapter feature can be set to high or low, depending upon how sensitive you want the feature to be. At Low setting, the camera will start a new chapter if the camera detects an acceleration over about 4.0 G during movie recording. The High setting will start a new chapter at 7.0 G.
- Single/Continuous Shooting (still frames): The TG-Tracker can take still photos one at-a-time or continuously at selected intervals. During continuous shooting, the camera takes photos at 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 second intervals, and turns itself off after 20,000 shots.
- Self-Timer/Delayed Shooting: You can set the camera to delay the recording by 2 seconds or 12 seconds. This allows you to prevent camera shake (2 sec) or to get into the photo (12 sec).
Playback: Movies can be played back at normal speed, 2x speed, and 15x speed. Photographs can be displayed in a thumbnail list or in full frame. Photos you do not want to save can be deleted from the thumbnail display.
Wi-Fi: The TG-Tracker has Wi-Fi for remote camera operation and easy file sharing. It has its own built-in Wireless LAN, so you don't have to connect to a network. Using the free Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) app on your smartphone, you can easily share still images and movies (except 4K) to iOS and Android mobile devices. GPS location information can be used to geotag photos. From a compatible mobile device, you can remotely take pictures and choose the settings for the self-timer, white balance, exposure (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), shooting and drive modes, and AF area.
Note: Olympus Image Share is available for Android mobile devices (Android 4.0 and up) from Google Play, and for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 7.0 or later from the Apple App Store.
Connections: You can connect the TG-Tracker to a high-definition TV via HDMI for viewing pictures and videos. The camera has a Micro HDMI (Type D) connector, and no Micro HDMI-to HDMI cable is included. The camera also has a Micro USB port and a Micro USB cable for connecting it to your computer, and charging the battery.
Power Requirements: The Olympus Tough TG-Tracker is powered by the supplied LI-92B Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.6V, 1350 mAh). The battery charges in the camera, using the supplied USB cable and F-5AC AC adapter, in approximately 3 hours. You can also charge the battery in the optional UC-90 battery charger (sold separately). A fully charged battery provides enough power to shoot up to 95 minutes of 4K 30p video. Usage of Wi-Fi, GPS, and the headlamp reduces battery life.
Viewer 3 Software: The TG-Tracker comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software loaded onto a CD-ROM. Viewer 3 lets you copy pictures from the camera to your computer where they can be browsed, edited, and organized. The camera also supports USB Mass Storage Class for transferring images to a computer via USB. The following operating systems are compatible with Viewer 3: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, and Mac OS X v10.8-10.11 (v10.5-v10.10 for MSC).
Supplied Accessories: The Olympus Tough TG-Tracker comes with several unique accessories:
- Mount Coupling (MC-T01): The mount coupling attaches to the bottom of the camera with its standard 1/4-20 tripod screw. The coupling has a convex mirror on the front that can be used to frame self-portraits. The coupling (and supplied Joint Screw) can be used with many third-party action camera mounts, including standard GoPro mounts.
- Steady Grip (SG-T01): The Steady Grip can be attached to the Mount Coupling (with the Joint Screw) to provide a convenient "pistol-style" grip for the camera. The grip features an eyelet for the wrist strap, as well as a standard 1/4-20 tripod thread. (Note: The TG-Tracker, when attached to the Steady Grip, may resemble a weapon, and should never be pointed at police.)
- Underwater Lens Protector (UP-T01): The Underwater Lens Protector fits over the lens to help you capture sharp underwater shots. The protector has a flat lens, which works better underwater than the dome protector, however the field of view is reduced. You should set the Field of View menu setting to the "Underwater Wide" before recording.
Optional Accessories: These optional accessories are available for the TG-Tracker:
- Float Strap: The floating wrist strap helps to keep your TG-Tracker afloat, in case it is accidentally dropped in the water. The wrist straps are available in bright red or green.
- Case: A case is made especially for the TG-Tracker.
- Bag: The larger Tough Camera System bag is available in black with green trim or black with red trim.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
i like the wide angle feature and easy grip [ John May 15, 2017 ]
Purchased for a trip to Mexico as a back up for my Go-Pro. Cage diving with Great White Sharks takes two cameras. [ DIANE Aug 03, 2016 ]
Still picture size, waterproof, included hand held option. [ MARK Jun 26, 2016 ]