Nikon Coolpix A900
20-megapixel camera with 35X optical zoom, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth® (Silver)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Item # 05426505 | MFR # 26505
$399.95 Earn up to 400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix A900 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The tilting, swiveling, 3" screen on the Nikon Coolpix A900 makes it easier to take selfies and shoot from challenging angles.
Long zoom in a slim camera
The Nikon Coolpix A900 is about the same size as a smartphone, but it takes pictures that are light years ahead of anything a phone app can produce. For starters, the 35X optical zoom lens brings your subject closer without introducing that fuzzy, indistinct look you get from a phone's digital zoom. The camera's large CMOS image sensor has 20 megapixels to work with, so it captures clear, detailed, beautiful pictures of vacations, family members, sporting events — just about anything you want to immortalize. It also performs well in low light and can snap up to 7 shots per second in burst mode. It takes up so little space, and gives you so much.
Oh, and it's a 4K video camera, too
This pocket marvel also produces high-quality video. That means you can use the camera's still-photo abilities to freeze some thrilling action from your son's next soccer match, then switch modes and record video at resolutions up to 4K so you can capture the flow of the game. Built-in vibration reduction helps get rid of the shakiness associated with handheld video, whether you're shooting video or stills.
- 20-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 35X optical zoom lets you zero in on faraway details
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for wireless operation and image transfer with mobile devices
- NFC touch-pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- 3" tilting high-resolution LCD screen (921,000 dots)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 24-840mm
- Nikon Snapbridge app helps make wireless photo sharing from remote locations easier
- scene auto selector automatically optimizes camera settings for your shooting environment
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction minimizes blurring
- 4K Ultra HD and high-def movie modes with stereo sound
- Subject Tracking autofocus helps you stay locked on subjects as they move
- face priority autofocus, red-eye fix and Glamour Retouch for improved portraits
- 17 scene modes include Back Light, Easy Panorama, Sports, and Sunset
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 1/4" threaded tripod mount
- 4-1/2"W x 2-3/4"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight: 10.2 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- EN-EL12 rechargeable battery
- AC adapter for charging
- wrist strap
- USB cable
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (silver)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 1050mAh 3.9Wh)
- 35" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- EH-73P AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1A)
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Trademark Information
Purchased a few weeks ago. I hooked it up to my android pad and transferred photos easily. The camera is easy to use in the automatic mode, but has lots of features to allow the user to customize.
James, Beaverton, OR
Nikon Coolpix A900 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-840mm|
|Internal Memory||44 MB|
|Highest Resolution||5184 x 3888|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon Coolpix A900 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-reflection coating and a six-level brightness adjustment. You can tilt the monitor 180° upward so that the screen is facing forward, or 90° downward for difficult high-angle shots. The LCD monitor has approximately 98% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% horizontal and vertical coverage in the playback mode.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix A900 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 21.14-million total pixels and 20-million effective pixels.
Optics: The Coolpix A900 digital camera uses a Zoom-Nikkor glass lens for superb image quality. The Coolpix A900 uses a 4.3-151mm lens that is equivalent to a 24-840mm lens in the 35mm format. The lens has a 35x optical zoom, and a 4x digital zoom for a 140x total zoom. You can use the 70x Dynamic Fine Zoom (35x optical 2x digital) to zoom in without degrading the images. The equivalent angle of view at total zoom is equivalent to that of a 3360mm lens (35mm format).
Vibration Reduction (VR): The Coolpix A900's Photo VR (Vibration Reduction) allows you to shoot sharper and clearer images without blurring. When camera shake is detected, the camera compensates using lens shift. Electronic VR is applied through image processing in the following conditions: flash doesn't fire, shutter speed slower than 1/30 second at wide angle or 1/250 second at telephoto, self timer off, or ISO sensitivity ISO 200 or lower.
Built-in Memory: The camera has a built-in 44 MB internal memory for taking and viewing a few test shots to check focus or exposure.
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards, including SDHC and SDXC cards that are compliant with UHS-I. Cards rated Speed Class 6 or higher are recommended for HD movie recording. When recording 4K movies, cards with a UHS Speed Class 3 or higher are recommended. When a memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. When no card is inserted, the images automatically record to the internal memory.
SnapBridge: Nikon's SnapBridge app for smartphones and tablets helps you to stay connected to your camera. Using Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), the Coolpix A900 can automatically transfer photos directly to your smartphone or tablet for sharing, editing, or uploading to social media. The SnapBridge app also lets you control the camera remotely. SnapBridge is compatible with Android devices (requires version 4.4 and up), and with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 8.4 or later).
Still Image Size: The Coolpix A900 records still images in JPEG format. You have a choice of the following image size options:
- 20M (5184 x 3888)
- 10M (3648 x 2736)
- 4M (2272 x 1704)
- 2M (1600 x 1200)
- VGA (640 x 480)
- 16:9 15M (5184 x 2920)
- 1:1 (3888 x 3888)
4K Ultra HD Movies: The A900 can record 4K Ultra HD and 1080p Full HD movies in MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video format with AAC stereo sound in the following resolutions:
- 4K UHD: 3840 x 2160 (30p/25p)
- Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50p, 30p/25p)
- HD: 1280 x 720 (50p, 30p/25p)
- 4x Fast Motion: 640 x 480 (record 15s, playback 1 min)
- 0.5x Slow Motion: 1920 x 1080 (record 2 min, playback 1 min)
Continuous Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following continuous shooting modes:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous H: While the shutter-release button is held down, up to 7 pictures are taken at a rate of about 7 frames per second (fps) when image mode is set to 20M (5184 x 3888).
- Continuous L: While the shutter-release button is held down, up to 15 pictures are taken at a rate of about 2.2 frames per second (fps) when image mode is set to 20M (5184 x 3888).
- Pre-shooting Cache: If you want to avoid missing an event, you can start recording in a pre-shooting cache by pressing the shutter release halfway. The camera captures about 25 images continuously at a rate of 15 fps. When the shutter release is pressed fully, the camera captures the current images, as well as the five images captured just before the button was pressed. Image size is fixed at 1M (1280 x 960).
- Continuous H 120: Each time the shutter release button is pressed all the way down, the camera captures about 50 images at a rate of 120 fps. Image size is fixed at VGA (640 x 480).
- Continuous H 60: Each time the shutter release button is pressed all the way down, the camera captures about 25 images at a rate of 60 fps. Image size is fixed at 1M (1280 x 960).
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second and 2-second self-timer mode. There is also a special Self-portrait mode that focuses the camera and releases the shutter in 5 seconds.
Smile Timer: When the smile timer is activated, the camera waits until it detects a smiling face in the frame and releases the shutter automatically.
Auto-Focus Modes: There are three auto-focus modes that you can choose from when shooting still images or movies:
- Single AF: Camera focuses when shutter-release button is pressed halfway and locks at this position during shooting.
- Full-time AF: Camera adjusts focus continuously until focus is acquired and locked.
- Pre-focus (still image mode only): The camera focuses when subject movement is detected, even if the shutter-release is not pressed halfway, or when the composition of the framed image significantly changes.
AF Area Mode: You can select between the following AF Area Modes to determine where the camera focuses: Face Priority, Center, Subject Tracking, Target Finding, and Manual.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 3.6". The flash may be unable to light the entire subject at distances less than 2'.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of just about 16 feet at the maximum wide-angle position and 14 feet at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off.
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: Use this mode for general shooting in a variety of conditions.
- Creative: With one shot, the Creative Mode saves four images with effects and one without effects.
- Scene: When the mode dial is set to Scene Mode, you can press the menu button and select from the following scenes: Scene Auto Selector, Portrait, Landscape, Time-lapse Movie, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Night landscape, Close-up, Food, Fireworks show, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Pet Portrait, Multiple Exposure Lighten, Superlapse Movie, and Smart Portrait.
- Short Movie: A short movie up to 30 seconds is created from multiple recorded movie clips that are several seconds long.
- Programmed Auto (P): The camera sets the shutter speed and aperture based on the lighting conditions. You can adjust the combination to achieve a faster/slower shutter speed or a more open/closed aperture, and the camera will adjust the other factor accordingly.
- Shutter-priority Auto (S): You can set the shutter speed, and the camera automatically selects the aperture setting (f-number).
- Aperture-priority Auto (A): You can set the aperture setting (f-number), and the camera automatically selects the shutter speed.
- Manual (M): The Manual setting allows you to select both the shutter speed and the aperture setting (f-number).
Blink Proof: You can activate the Blink Proof feature to detect whether subjects had their eyes closed when the picture was taken. Two images are taken with every shot, and saves one image in which the subject's eyes are open.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 steps.
Metering: The camera features two metering modes:
- Matrix: Camera sets exposure for entire frame; recommended in most situations.
- Center-Weighted: Camera meters entire frame but assigns greatest weight to subject in center of frame (when digital zoom less than 2x)
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
- Auto: Sensitivity is automatically selected within the range of ISO 80 to 1600.
- Fixed Range Auto: You can choose a range in which the camera automatically adjusts the ISO sensitivity between ISO 80-400 or ISO 80-800.
- Manual: Sensitivity is locked at the specified value: ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, or 3200.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset Manual and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Special Effects: You can add the following special effects to your images:
- Soft: Softens the image by adding a slight blur to the entire image.
- Nostalgic Sepia: The camera will add a sepia tone and reduce the contrast to simulate old photographs.
- High-contrast Mono: The image is saved in black and white with sharp contrast.
- Selective Color: The images will be recorded in black and white with only a specified color remaining (red, blue, green).
- Pop: This mode increases the color saturation of the entire image for a bright look.
- Cross Process: The image will have a mysterious appearance based on a selected color.
- Toy Camera Effect 1 & 2: The Toy Camera effects simulate the images as seen through a toy camera. Effect 1 creates an image with a yellowish hue and darker edges. Effect 2 decreases the image's color saturation.
Flash Modes: The Coolpix A900 has a pop-up flash with a range of 1'-8" to 19 feet (Wide angle) and 5' to 9'-10" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: flash fires automatically when lighting is poor
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect
- Fill Flash: flash will fire whenever a picture is taken
- Slow Sync: auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds
- Flash Off: flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor
Copy: You can internally copy images and voice recordings between the camera's internal memory and an inserted SD card.
Slide Show: You can play back images one-by-one in an automated slide show. The interval between images can be set to 2 sec, 3 sec, 5 sec, or 10 sec. The slide show can repeat automatically if you select "Loop" in the menu.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, 16, or 72) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
Editing Picture: You can use the Coolpix A900 to edit recorded pictures in-camera and store them as separate files. You can choose from the following editing functions: You can add the following effects to your photos:
- Quick Effects: Painting, Photo Illustration, Soft Portrait, Portrait (Color + B&W), Fisheye, Cross Screen, and Miniature Effect.
- Quick Retouch: You can enhance the contrast and saturation by applying Quick Retouch.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Red-eye Correction: If an image contains subjects with red-eye, you can apply correction. Red-eye correction can even be applied to pets, even if their eyes are not red.
- Glamour Retouch: Various effects can be applied to portrait photos for a pleasing effect, including small face, skin softening, foundation makeup, glare reduction, hide eye bags, big eyes, whiten eyes, eye shadow, mascara, whiten teeth, lipstick, and redden cheeks.
- Small Picture: You can create small copies of large images for adding to websites or sending in emails. Copy sizes include: 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120, 640 x 360 (for 16:9 images), and 480 x 480 (for 1:1 images). Edited copies have a 1:8 compression ratio.
- Crop: You can enlarge the image or refine the composition and create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
Protect: The camera allows you to protect selected pictures from accidental deletion.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 33 different menu display languages including English, Spanish or French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card by connecting the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer (Direct Print). In the menu, you can select the number of copies and paper size, and print images one at a time or select multiple images for printing.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix A900 is powered by the EN-EL12 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7 volts, 1050 mAh, 3.9 Wh). The battery will last for approximately 270 shots (still images) or 50 minutes (movies) on a full charge. The battery charges in approximately 2 hours 20 minutes when using the EH-73P Charging AC Adapter and the UC-E21 USB cable (both included).
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
HDMI Micro Connector: The Coolpix A900 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to a TV. If you are playing back 4K video from the camera, you must use a 4K-capable HDMI cable. No HDMI cables are included with the camera.
Micro USB: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable to your computer. This output allows you to upload your photos to your computer or to printer via USB, or to connect the camera to the EH-73P Charging AC Adapter for charging the battery. The USB interface is USB 2.0 High Speed compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
After trying the sony cyber shot and canon power shot, this camera gave more kick for the money [ Michael Mar 15, 2017 ]
For travel - like the size, the 20 mp and the Wifi [ James Mar 10, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
yes it does [ Michael Jun 10, 2017 ]
I'm sort of a novice at this, but just double checked and the answer is yes. [ GERALD May 12, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Nikon Coolpix A900
20-megapixel camera with 35X optical zoom, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II
20-megapixel digital camera with 3X optical zoom and Wi-Fi®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-HX90V
18-megapixel digital camera with 30X optical zoom, Wi-Fi® and GPS
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
20.1-megapixel digital camera with Wi-Fi®