Naim Mu-so Qb
Wireless powered speaker system with Bluetooth® and Apple® AirPlay®
From Naim: How To Set Up Your Mu-so QB
From Naim: Mu-so QB
Our take on the Naim Mu-so Qb by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Five custom speakers, each individually amplified, plus two passive bass radiators deliver exceptional sound over a wide area.
The distinctive styling of the Naim Audio Mu-so Qb tells you this is more than just a stand-alone wireless music system — and the sound confirms it. Whether you prefer high-resolution audio files, such as those available through HDtracks, the built-in Spotify® Connect, or TIDAL's lossless streaming service, you're in for a rich listening experience. Mu-so Qb is a great system on its own, and can also be part of a Naim multi-room audio system.
Innovative design and quality construction
The Mu-so Qb features two micro-fiber tweeters and two custom midrange speakers, angled for full, spacious sound. The bass driver is reinforced by two passive radiators for strong, clean bass. Each woofer and tweeter is powered by its own 50-watt amplifier, and the bass driver is powered by a 100-watt amplifier. Separate amplification ensures minimal cross-interference and clean, accurate sound. And with 300 watts total system power, the Mu-so Qb can easily fill the room with clear, lifelike music.
The Mu-so Qb's built-in 32-bit digital signal processor controls the flow of music information to each speaker. Two EQ settings tailor the sound for placing the Mu-so Qb either close to or well away from walls or corners.
Built-in Bluetooth with aptX®
Stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the Mu-so Qb via Bluetooth. The system includes aptX audio coding, an advanced type of Bluetooth wireless streaming that retains virtually all the detail of the audio signal it carries.
iOS and Apple AirPlay options
The Mu-so Qb is also AirPlay-compatible for convenient wireless playback from your iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or computer running iTunes®. And with the Naim app on your Apple portable, you can use Rovi to discover new music and artists based on those you already like.
Multi-room audio with the Naim app
The Mu-So Qb comes with its own remote for convenient control. And with the Naim free control app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet, you have even more options. You can control up to five Mu-so and Mu-so Qb components to create a multi-room audio system. Remotely control your Mu-so Qb components through your home Wi-Fi network. Group your connected speakers so that the same song plays throughout the house, or only on certain speakers. Or even have every speaker accessing a different source and playing a different song. You can also build playlists with the app, and browse thousands of internet radio stations.
The Mu-so QB features a top-mounted touchscreen controller. You can easily adjust volume, play, pause, or skip tracks. The cabinet rests on an acrylic base that dampens vibrations. An aluminum heat sink in the rear keeps the system running cool for optimal performance. And the Mu-so Qb's cabinet is made from a 20% glass-filled polymer to deaden unwanted vibration and ensure optimal acoustic performance.
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- plays MP3, FLAC, ALAC, AAC, AIFF, OGG WMA, and WAV LPCM audio files
- high-resolution playback up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution (48kHz over wireless network)
- Bluetooth aptX® technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- Apple® AirPlay® for Apple portable devices and computers
- Universal Plug 'n' Play (UPnP™) high-resolution streaming
- 5 custom-designed speakers:
- two 15/16" custom microfiber-dome tweeters
- two 2-1/2" custom midrange drivers
- one 5-11/16" x 2-15/16" custom bass driver with 2 passive bass radiators
- each speaker has its own digital amplifier
- 300 watts total system power (4 x 50 watts + 1 x 100 watts)
- Naim app
- free download from Apple App store and Google Play
- control playback, volume, and EQ
- connect to compatible Naim wireless speakers and components
- remotely access music stored on your PC or NAS drive
- access streaming music services such as Spotify Connect, TIDAL, and internet radio stations
- group linked speakers to play the same song simultaneously, or control each individually
- discover new music with Rovi search (iOS only)
- top-mounted touchscreen controls
- stereo minijack input for portable players
- Toslink optical digital audio input (2-channel PCM only) for connecting to a compatible TV
- USB port
- Ethernet port
- remote control
- 8-1/2"W x 8-9/16"H x 8-1/2"D
- weight: 12.34 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- Grille (installed)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Instruction booklet
- Safety Manual
- Online Product Registration card
- Spotify brochure
Naim Mu-so Qb Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Custom-Engineered Sound: The Naim MU-so Qb incorporates five drivers, offset and angled perfectly to create exceptional soundstage imaging. In this five speaker arrangement there are two 1" microfiber dome tweeters and two 2.5" midrange drivers, all four driven by 50W amplifiers, with rare earth magnets and copper-capped poles for even greater accuracy. The fifth driver is a custom-made 5.75" x 3" oval woofer that's driven by a 100W amplifier to create an astonishing bass sound for a system this size. Two side-firing pistonic passive 5.8125" x 3.375" oval bass radiators work alongside the custom-made woofer for even lower bass frequency reproduction. Combined, the MU-so Qb can generate an incredible 300 watts of room-filling sound.
- Custom Built Tweeters: Microfiber soft-dome tweeters were selected for their stiffness and dampening qualities.
- Custom Made Midrange Drivers: The custom midrange drivers provide crystal clear speech and power vocals. They've been carefully positioned to evenly disperse sound.
- Mono-Woofer + Dual Bass Radiators: The MU-so Qb pairs a mono subwoofer with two side-firing bass radiators for deep, accurate bass response from a compact speaker system.
32-Bit DSP: At the heart of MU-so Qb is a 32-bit digital signal processor; the same high-spec component used in the original Mu-so system. Fine-tuned in Naim's listening room, it controls the flow of music information to each speaker. It also includes two EQ settings, tailoring the best sound quality whether the unit is close to or away from the edge of any room. The end result is a refined audio experience with no distortion, increased speaker accuracy and an expansive sound.
- Room Position: Room position enables adjustment of the Mu-so Qb's tonal balance to compensate for the proximity of walls and other large surfaces. If speaker system is placed on a shelf, for example, tonal adjustment can be useful in reducing the bass boost that naturally results from such a location.
- Loudness: Loudness applies a bass boost that decreases as volume is increased. By compensating for the ear's reduced bass sensitivity at low volume levels, loudness compensation can make low volume listening more satisfying
Rigid Enclosure w/ Extruded Aluminum Heat Sink: The enclosure is made from a 20% glass-filled polymer, chosen for its strength, rigidity, and dampening. On the back of the speaker enclosure is an extruded aluminum heat sink which maximizes thermal performance.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Naim MU-so Qb is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet jack (10/100Mbps) and features built-in WiFi (2.4GHz, 802.11 b/g) for a wired or wireless connection to your home's network. Either connection allows you to connect to your home's network router and internet provider for access to select Online Music Services, UPnP music servers, and AirPlay.
Note: The MU-so Qb supports up to 24-bit/192kHz high-resolution audio over a wired Ethernet network connection, but only up to 16-bit/48kHz over a wireless WiFi network connection.
Naim App for Apple iOS & Android: The Naim Audio app, available for Apple iOS 7.1+ and Android 4.0+ devices, provides simple yet comprehensive control over both your music and the network-connected Naim MU-so Qb wireless speaker and other network-enabled Naim wireless speakers (sold separately). The Naim App provides comprehensive access to Mu-so Qb setup parameters, plus volume adjustment, play/pause/skip tracks, scroll through album art, create playlists, and store favorite radio stations to be easily accessed later. More features & controls include -
- Input selection
- Volume, EQ, & Loudness settings
- Full album & cover art support
- Build & edit playlists
- Browser your UPnP music library with album art support and playback control
- Browse, search, and select Internet Radio stations; plus save & select presets (up to 40)
- USB/iPod browsing and playback control
- Multiroom support including "Party Mode" and group volume control (Apple iOS only).
- Alarm Clock programming
- Only one Naim App from one mobile device can be connected to a single Mu-so Qb speaker at any time.
- If a streaming source such as AirPlay or Spotify is selected automatically on the Mu-so Qb by the presence of a stream, the Naim App display will switch to the appropriate streaming source page and offer the controls available to that stream type.
UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play): The Mu-so Qb is UPnP compatible, which enables you to play your digital music library stored on UPnP servers (such as the Naim UnitiServe, network servers with integrated UPnP software, or on Windows and OS X computers) through the Mu-so Qb speaker system. You can stream a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files. UPnP file browsing can be carried out using the Naim App. Once playback has been initiated by a play command on the Naim App, the Mu-so touch panel, play/ pause, next and previous controls can also be used to control playback. Supported music file formats include -
- WAV, FLAC, AIFF: up to 24-bit/192kHz
- ALAC (Apple Lossless): up to 24-bit/96kHz
- MP3, AAC: up to 48kHz, 320kbps (16-bit)
- OGG, WMA: up to 48kHz (16-bit)
- All music file formats are only supported up to 48kHz maximum over a wireless WiFi network connection.
- Windows Media Player version 11 or above incorporates built in UPnP support. A variety of third party UPnP applications are available that are compatible with both Windows and OS X operating systems.
Online Music Services: The Naim MU-so Qb offers support for select online music services - like Spotify Connect, Tidal, and vTuner (Internet Radio).
- Spotify Connect: MU-so Qb offers Spotify Connect support, so you can stream millions of songs from your portable device with ease. You will need to subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, so you can stream Spotify to the MU-so Qb system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. Spotify Connect can be selected from the Naim App, but will also select and play automatically when the Mu-so Qb receives a Spotify Connect stream initiated from the Spotify app on your Apple iOS/Android device or Windows/Mac computer.
- Tidal: The Tidal lossless streaming service is integrated into the system for an immersive, high-quality sound experience. Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality. To play a Tidal stream, select the Tidal input on the Naim App, sign-in to your Tidal account and select music to play.
- Internet Radio (vTuner): You have the ability to access thousands of internet radio stations through vTuner and save your favorite presets (up to 40) for easy access. The first 5 presets can be accessed through the MU-so QB's touch-panel control, while the other 35 presets are access through the Naim app on your compatible mobile device. Supported Internet Radio formatted content includes MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis and MMS.
Bluetooth Music Streaming w/ aptX: The Naim MU-so Qb features built-in Bluetooth with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) from a Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and more. You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the MU-so Qb. You can pair up to eight Bluetooth devices, but only one can be connected at a time. Basic playback control (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) can be done from the MU-so Qb's touch-panel control. You will still use your Bluetooth device for advanced music browsing and to view song/artist info.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MU-so Qb offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the speaker system offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- aptX Compatible: The MU-so Qb even supports aptX for lossless, "CD-quality" wireless music streaming from aptX-compatible smartphone and tablets, like Android OS 4.0+.
- Bluetooth cannot be selected from the Mu-so Qb touch-panel or the Naim App, but is selected automatically when the speaker receives a Bluetooth audio stream.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Naim MU-so Qb.
- The Naim MU-so Qb does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication.
USB-A Port: In addition to iPod/iPhone/iPad connectivity, the unit's USB-A port can be used to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive. The MU-so Qb supports playback of a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files stored on a USB msc device. Supported music file formats include -
- WAV, FLAC, AIFF: up to 24-bit/192kHz
- ALAC (Apple Lossless): up to 24-bit/96kHz
- MP3, AAC: up to 48kHz, 320kbps (16-bit)
- OGG, WMA: up to 48kHz (16-bit)
Note: The USB-A port does not support connection of Android smartphone/tablet devices or computers/laptops.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The MU-so Qb is fitted with a 3.5mm Aux input for connection of almost any audio device with a analog output or headphone jack. The MU-so Qb also features an optical (toslink) digital input for connection to a Blu-ray player, CD player, or TV. The digital input will support up to 2Ch/96kHz audio.
Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad: The Naim MU-so Qb offers wireless (via AirPlay) and wired (via USB) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Naim MU-so Qb speaker system, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the MU-so Qb. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the Naim speaker system; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the speaker system.
- USB Direct: The MU-so Qb supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its USB-A port. Simply plug your Lightning or 30-pin Apple device into the speaker system's USB-A port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the MU-so Qb speaker system, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. Basic playback controls, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track, can be done from the MU-so QB's touch-panel.
- AirPlay cannot be selected from the Mu-so Qb touch-panel or the Naim App, but is selected automatically when the speaker receives a wireless audio signal via AirPlay.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Naim Mu-so Qb is "made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible and supports the following connection types (as of 7/28/2016).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||AirPlay||USB||Bluetooth|
Rovi Online Music Database: The Naim Audio app for Apple iOS also goes one step further than simple control, allowing you to browse your music in new and innovative ways. Integration with Rovi's vast online music database adds layers of rich detail including biographies, discographies, reviews, similar music recommendations and more.
Multiroom Ready: Combine MU-so Qb with other Mu-so wireless music systems or Naim audio streaming products for the ultimate multiroom experience. Play music between any combination of MU-so Qbs and Mu-sos speakers in up to five rooms of your home. Choose the same song in perfect sync or play different music in different rooms, all via the Naim app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: The Mu-so Qb's local analog & digital inputs, plus its Airplay & Bluetooth streaming inputs are not available for multiroom broadcast.
Gapless Playback: The Naim MU-so Qb offers support for Gapless playback for WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 24-bit/192kHz) & ALAC (up to 24-bit/96kHz) music files via USB or UPnP. Gapless playback lets the tracks flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silence between. Perfect for classical music & live recordings.
Touch-Panel & Rotary Dial: The MU-so Qb wireless speaker system features a touch-panel interface with integrated rotary dial for Power, Input, Volume Play/Pause, and Previous/Next track control.
Note: AirPlay, Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, and Tidal streams cannot be selected from the touch-panel, but are selected automatically when Mu-so Qb is receiving an audio signal from one of these music sources. Touch-panel icons will indicate the selection of AirPlay, Spotify, Bluetooth, and UPnP streams.
Mounting Options: The MU-so Qb wireless speaker is designed to be located either on a table, a furniture unit or a wall shelf. If a shelf is to be used be sure that it is able to support the weight (12.3 lbs).
Power Requirements: The MU-so Qb wireless speaker system operates off of standard household current using its integrated power supply and detachable AC power cord.
Note: The MU-so Qb is not battery powered.
Auto Standby: If there is no audio signal or operation for 20 minutes, the MU-so Qb automatically enters standby mode.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Long time respect for NAIM products. [ George Jul 21, 2018 ]
Reviews are good. Willing to try it out! [ D Jul 03, 2018 ]
First hand experience with other HIFI setups of the brand. [ George Dec 19, 2017 ]
it was a gift for my daughter who specified what she wanted. [ Gregory Dec 13, 2016 ]
Most trusted brand for sound quality, build quality and longevity [ cpthaddock Jul 04, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
what the heck is NAIM? [ Thomas Aug 08, 2016 ]
Unlikely. Bose is typically proprietary. [ Robert Aug 08, 2016 ]