Small-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone
Item # 183KSM137C | MFR # KSM137/SL
$299.00 Earn up to 299 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Shure KSM137 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
A versatile star of studio and stage
The Shure KSM137 condenser microphone is a favorite for both precision studio recording and clear live sound. Its extended frequency response and low self noise makes this mic an excellent choice for recording instruments ranging from percussion to wind, strings to brass, and piano to guitar. Designed primarily for studio use, the KSM137 is rugged enough for live applications, with the ability to handle extremely high sound pressure levels (SPL).
Its precise sound reproduction makes the KSM137 a good choice for recording piano.
Superior build quality for superior sound
This end-address mic features an ultra-thin 24k gold-layered Mylar® diaphragm. The Mylar makes it extremely durable – and its low mass ensures accurate transient response. A built-in Class A built-in preamplifier provides extremely fast transient response while minimizing distortion. The mic's subsonic filter rejects tones of less than 17 Hz, virtually eliminating low frequency rumble. A selectable low-frequency filter further reduce[s] the effect of background noise. And the mic's three-position switchable pad lets you make adjustments for handling extremely high sound pressure, helping to keep the recorded sound clean and accurate.
Record a wide range of instruments
Because the KSM137 is both precise and versatile, it excels at capturing the character of a variety of instruments. You can use it as an overhead mic for drums, and as a room mic for recording choral and orchestral ensembles. Its accuracy is ideal for acoustic instruments such as piano, guitar and strings, and is equally effective with low-frequency instruments such as a double bass or kick drum.
- end-address condenser microphone
- designed for precision studio recording and live sound
- cardioid pattern
- ultra-thin low mass Mylar diaphragm for superior transient response
- built-in discrete, Class A transformerless preamp for transparent sound with low distortion
- three-position switchable pad (0 dB, 15 dB, 25 dB) for handling high sound pressure levels
- three-position low-frequency filter reduces background noise and counteracts proximity effect
- subsonic filter eliminates low-frequency rumble (below 17 Hz) caused by mechanical vibration
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- output impedance: 150 ohms
- sensitivity: -37 dBV/Pa
- max. SPL: 134 dB
- 4-7/8" length x 7/8" diameter
- weight: 3.5 oz.
- XLR connector
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- storage case
- stereo microphone adapter
- stand adapter
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Cardioid condenser microphone
- Mic stand adapter
- 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter
- Foam windscreen
- Hard storage case
- User Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Warnings and Safety Instructions
Features and Specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure KSM137 is a versatile cardioid condenser microphone that is designed for multiple uses. It is recommended for acoustic and wind instruments, such as piano, guitar, strings, percussion, brass, and woodwinds. It can also be used for overhead miking, and to pick up room ambiance. The KSM137 comes with a microphone clip, foam windscreen, and a hard storage case. No cables are included.
Pickup Pattern: The KSM137 has a cardioid polar pattern for high gain before feedback and rejection of unwanted off-axis sound.
Condenser Microphone: Because the KSM137 is a condenser microphone, it requires phantom power. Best performance can be obtained with a +48 VDC (+/- 4 VDC) supply. It can operate on voltages as low as +11 VDC, but performance will be decreased.
Construction: The microphone has a durable, champagne-colored metal body that resists wear and abuse. It features an ultra-thin (2.5 micron), 24K gold-layered, low-mass Mylar diaphragm for superior transient response. To reduce wind noise, a foam windscreen is included with the microphone.
Attenuation Switch: This 3-way switch lets you reduce the signal level without altering the frequency response. Extremely loud sounds can overload the microphone, and applying attenuation to the signal can improve performance. The Attenuation switch can be set as follows:
- 0 dB: No attenuation applied. For normal sound levels.
- -15 dB: Use this setting when the mic is approximately 2 feet away from a loud sound source (kick drum, snare drum, electric guitar cabinet).
- -25 dB: Use this setting when the mic is approximately 4 inches or less away from a loud sound source.
Low Frequency Response Switch: This 3-way switch can adjust the low frequency response of the microphone by sharply cutting or gently rolling off low frequency sounds, such as wind noise or room noise. It can also reduce the proximity effect. The switch can be set as follows:
- Flat: No low-frequency reduction applied, and a full-range output is provided.
- Low-frequency Cutoff: Frequencies at 80 Hz and lower are sharply reduced at an 18 dB-per-octave slope.
- Low-frequency Rolloff: Frequencies at 115 Hz and lower are gently reduced at a gradual 6 dB-per-octave slope.
Mounting: The KSM137 comes with an adjustable stand adapter with a 5/8" thread. The adapter lets you tilt the microphone 180° forward or backward. A 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter is included.
Connector: The Shure KSM137 has a 3-pin male XLR connector. No microphone cable is included in this package.
- Type: Condenser
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 150 Ω
- Sensitivity: -37 dBV/Pa
- Maximum SPL (at 1kHz):
- 5000 Ω Load (Attenuator On): 145 dB
- 2500 Ω Load (Attenuator On): 139 dB
- 1000 Ω Load (Attenuator On): 134 dB
- Output Clipping Level:
- 5000 Ω Load: 15 dBV
- 2500 Ω Load: 9 dBV
- 1000 Ω Load: 3 dBV
- Dynamic Range:
- 5000 Ω Load: 131 dB
- 2500 Ω Load: 125 dB
- 1000 Ω Load: 120 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 80 dB
- Dimensions: 0.878" diameter, 4.84" length
- Weight: 3.7 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.