12-channel powered mixer with effects and 9-band EQ — 710 watts x 2 max output
Item # 845EMX7 | MFR # EMX7
$749.99 Earn up to 750 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Yamaha EMX7 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Powered PA mixer
If you're looking for a PA system to use in a small club, auditorium, conference room, outdoor event, or place of worship, Yamaha's EMX7 powered mixer will provide the inputs, tone and level controls, and power you need for a successful presentation or show. The EMX7 combines two power amplifiers with a 12-channel mixer, so you only need to add speakers, mics, and cables for a complete sound system.
Power for almost any event
This compact and multi-tasking little workhorse can power a couple of PA speakers with up to 710 watts each — not enough to knock down walls, but plenty enough for a small band, acoustic act, and even karaoke night. You can configure the EMX7's powered outputs to power your main speakers separately, or you can drive your main speakers with one output and your monitors with the other. Preamp-level stereo outputs let you use your EMX7 with larger powered speakers for those bigger shows you may occasionally be asked to perform.
The EMX7 can take up to 8 XLR microphone inputs, 8 line-level 1/4" TRS inputs, 4 RCAs, and even has a 3.5 mm jack that accommodates the headphone signal from any music player. Channel 4 can be switched to Hi-Z mode to accept a hig- impedance signal, like from a guitar pickup, without needing a direct box or adapter. Channels 1-3 include high-pass filters to eliminate bass rumble. Channels 1-4 feature one-knob dynamic compression to rein in any wild fluctuations in levels.
Onboard effects and processing
You can sweeten the sound by choosing one of the 24 different acoustic effects, like reverb, delay, echo, or flange, and then adjusting to your taste. An assignable 9-band EQ is available for the Master and Aux output channels. A feedback suppressor automatically helps prevent squealing. Power protection and limiting circuits make sure that the show will always go on.
12-Channel Powered Mixer:
- channels 1-4: mono mic and line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- channels 5/6 and 7/8: mono mic and stereo line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TS)
- channels 9/10: mono mic and stereo line inputs (XLR and RCA)
- channels 11/12: mono mic and stereo line inputs (XLR, RCA, and 3.5 mm)
- 3-band EQ and clip lights on all input channels
- switchable 48-volt phantom power for all 8 mic channels
- one-knob dynamic compressors on channels 1-4
- switchable high-pass filters (80 Hz, 12 dB/octave) on channels 1-3
- Hi-Z switch on channel 4 for plugging a guitar directly into the mixer
Outputs and Effects:
- two built-in amplifiers can power Left and Right Mains separately, or Main and Monitor
- maximum output power @<10% THD+N: 710 watts x 2 at 4 ohms, 500 watts x 2 at 8 ohms
- maximum output power @<1% THD+N: 600 watts x 2 at 4 ohms, 400 watts x 2 at 8 ohms
- 2 powered outputs (Speakon and 1/4" TS)
- 6 preamp outputs: Aux 1, Aux 2, Stereo Left, Stereo Right (1/4" TRS), and Rec Left and Right (RCA)
- Aux 1: prefader send can be used for outboard monitor
- Aux2/EFX: postfader send can be used for outboard effects or monitor
- built-in SPX digital processor with 24 effects including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter, and other multi-effects
- 9-band graphic equalizers on Main and Aux channels
- digital processing includes power protection, limiting, feedback suppression, speaker-matching, and bass boost
- main and Aux level LED arrays
- foot switch jack for muting effects
- versatile chassis can sit horizontally or vertically
- rack-mountable with optional rack railings
- dimensions; 18-3/8"W x 12-1/8"H x 12-5/8"D
- weight: 20.9 pounds
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 12-Channel powered mixer
- 8.25' AC power cord (IEC 3-prong)
- Owner's Manual (3 copies--Eng / Fren / Span)
- Technical Specifications sheet
Outperforms the competition to our (the band) delight. Reasonably priced. Plenty of power for crisp, clear voacals.
Tim, Long Beach, CA
Yamaha EMX7 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Line inputs||4 Combo, 1/4" (4),RCA(4)|
|Watts per channel 8 ohms||400|
|Watts per channel 6 ohms||---|
|Watts per channel 4 ohms||600|
|Master EQ||9-Band (Flex 9)|
|Monitor outputs||2 x 1/4" (Aux 1-2)|
Overview: The Yamaha EMX7 is a 12-channel powered mixer that is ideal for musicians, performers, small to medium-sized clubs, or houses of worship. It has two sturdy handles which makes it portable and easy to set up, making it useful for speaking engagements, parties, DJs, and bands. The EMX7 has 8 mic preamps and 4 stereo inputs. It has 2 powered main outputs with SpeakON jacks, 2 non-powered main outputs with 1/4" jacks, two 1/4" Aux outputs, and a stereo RCA record out.
Mic/Line Inputs: The EMX7 is equipped with eight Mic/Line inputs (Channels 1-8) for connecting microphones, guitars, electronic musical instruments, or line-level audio devices. Channels 1 through 4 have combo jacks that support XLR and 1/4" plugs. These channels have Mic/Line switches, and Channel 4 has a Hi-Z switch that lets you plug in an electric guitar or electric bass with a 1/4" plug. Channels 1-3 also have a 80Hz/12dB/octave High-pass filter (HPF) that can be applied to the mic inputs to reduce vibration or wind noise. Channels 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12 can be used as single channels for microphones with XLR plugs, or stereo line-level pairs with 1/4" or RCA plugs. Phantom power (+48V) can be applied to the XLR connectors on Channels 1 through 11/12, if needed for condenser mics.
Stereo Line Inputs: Channels 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12 have stereo line inputs, each with controls for the stereo pairs. The input connectors for each stereo pair is as follows:
- Channels 5/6 and 7/8: Channels 5/6 have two 1/4" line input jacks.
- Channels 9/10: Channels 9/10 have two 1/4" line input jacks and two RCA input jacks. Both 1/4" and RCA jacks can be used at the same time, but the levels cannot be adjusted independently.
- Channels 11/12: Channels 11/12 have two 1/4" line input jacks, two RCA input jacks, and one stereo 3.5mm (1/8") mini-jack. The stereo 3.5mm mini-jack will take priority over the other inputs for Channel 11/12.
Outputs: The EMX7 features two Speaker Outputs on the rear panel with SpeakON and 1/4" combo connectors. You can connect two 4Ω or 8Ω speakers to these outputs. You can also connect four 8Ω or 16Ω speakers wired in parallel pairs. On the front panel there are two 1/4" Stereo outputs, controlled by the Master Stereo level control, that will output a non-amplified signal to left and right active speakers or to an amplifier and passive speakers. The unit also has two 1/4" auxiliary outputs (Aux1 and Aux2) with separate rotary volume controls which do not affect the master level output. An Effects Return jack (1/4") lets you connect an unlatched-type footswitch, such as the Yamaha FC5, for toggling on/off the reverb effects.
Compressor: Inputs 1 through 4 each have the 1-knob COMP function used in the Yamaha MGP and MG series models. You can dial in the right amount of compression as you rotate the knob to the right. The threshold, ratio, and output gain are all adjusted simultaneously.
3-Band EQ: The Yamaha EMX7 features a 3-band EQ on each Mic/Line channel and each stereo pair. Each EQ band has a rotary control that lets you boost or cut the frequency by + or - 15dB. The dials have a center detent at 0dB for a flat response in the corresponding band. The EQ bands have the following center frequencies: Low 100 Hz, Mid 2.5 kHz, and High 10 kHz.
Flex 9 Graphic EQ: The EMX7 has a flex-type graphic equalizer (Flex9GEQ) that allows you to choose 9 frequency bands (out of 31) to fine tune the Stereo output, Aux1, or Aux2.
Speaker Processor: The built-in Speaker Processor function allows you to match the EMX7 with the particular speakers you are using. There are special presets for each model in Yamaha's CBR, Club, A, and R series of passive speakers. The presets save you set up time, and optimizes the speakers' performance. The bass boost function can emphasize the lower frequencies, if needed.
Feedback Suppressor: The EMX7 is equipped with a Feedback Suppressor that utilizes a unique 7-band notch filter to instantly stops feedback with the push of a single button.
Programmable Effects: The EMX7 has a powerful, comprehensive DSP section with 24 different effects. These professional-grade effects are the same as those found in the Yamaha SPX effects processors. You can add reverb and delay effects that emulate different performance environments, from small clubs to large concert halls. The available effects include: Reverbs (Hall 1&2, Room 1&2, Stage 1&2, Plate), Drum Ambiance, Early Reflection, Gate Reverb, Single Delay, Delay, Vocal Echo, Karaoke, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus 1&2, Symphonic, Tremolo, Auto Wah, Radio Voice, Distortion, and Pitch Change. The Effects section includes a rotary program dial and a 2-digit display for selecting the desired effect, and a rotary Parameter control to dial in the amount of effect.
Level Controls: The four mono Mic/Line channels and the three stereo channels have individual rotary level controls. The Master level control determines the volume of the signal output from the Main Speaker and Subwoofer outputs. Left and right 12-segment LED level meters show the level of the Stereo output signal (-30, -25, -20, -15, -10, -6, -3, 0, +3, +6, +10, Peak). When the Peak LED is constantly lit, the overall level should be reduced.
Mounting: The versatile EMX7 can be oriented in several ways. It has a wedge shape that allows you to place it vertically on a table top with the controls facing the front. You can also orient it horizontally on the floor with the controls facing upward. With the optional RK-EMX7 bracket (sold separately), you can rack mount the EMX7 in a 19" equipment rack in 7U rack spaces.
- Output Power:
- 600 watts per channel x 2 channels (4Ω, 1 kHz, THD+N<1%)
- 400 watts per channel x 2 channels (8Ω, 1 kHz, THD+N<1%)
- 710 watts per channel x 2 channels (4Ω, 1 kHz, THD+N<10%)
- 500 watts per channel x 2 channels (8Ω, 1 kHz, THD+N<10%)
- Frequency Response:
- Input to Speakers: 40 Hz to 20 kHz (+1 dB/-3 dB)
- Input to Stereo Out, Aux 1 Send, Aux 2 Send: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0.5 dB / -1 dB)
- Input to Speakers: 0.1% @ 10 watts (40Hz - 20kHz); 0.4% @ 65 watts (1 kHz)
- Input to Stereo Out, Aux 1 Send, Aux 2 Send: 0.02% @ +14 dBu (20Hz - 20kHz), 0.007% @ +20 dBu (1 kHz)
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -117 dBu
- Crosstalk (1 kHz): -85 dB
- Load Protection: DC-fault
- Amplifier Protection: Overheat, Overcurrent, Integral power
- Power Supply Protection: Overheat, Overcurrent
- Power Consumption: 45 watts (idle) / 250 watts (1/8 power)
- Dimensions: Width: 14.75" Height: 5.8125" Depth: 8.658"
- Vertical Orientation: Width: 18.375" Height: 12.125" Depth: 12.625"
- Horizontal Orientation: Width: 18.375" Height: 10.875" Depth: 12"
- Weight: 20.9 pounds
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I originally tried the EMX5, but found the EQ presets too simplistic. Better power, EQ, and Yamaha speaker processors are in the EMX7. [ THOMAS K Apr 24, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
12-channel powered mixer with effects and 9-band EQ — 710 watts x 2 max output
Behringer Europower PMP2000D
14-channel powered mixer with effects — 500W max x 2 at 8 ohms
12-channel powered mixer with effects — 460W max x 2 at 8 ohms
8-channel powered mixer with effects and Bluetooth input — 280W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms$599.99