Paradigm PW 800
Wireless powered tabletop speaker with Wi-Fi® and DTS Play-Fi® (White)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Item # 819PW800W | MFR # 1100000065
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Paradigm PW 800 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The Paradigm PW 800 uses room correction to overcome sound-muddying factors like high ceilings and hard reflective surfaces.
Wide-open sound and a world of wireless music
Paradigm's PW 800 — the larger powered speaker in their PW wireless series — pumped music throughout my basement den with strength and clarity. I had it sitting in a corner window sill, which wasn't the best spot for audio performance in the long, spread-out room. But the included Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology helped keep the sound powerful and precise.
I controlled the tunes with my smartphone using the DTS Play-Fi® app. Play-Fi lets you play music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC and stream tunes from Internet-based services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM. I was also able to add and control Paradigm's smaller PW 600 speaker to my kitchen, creating an easy-to-use multi-room music system.
Powerful performance and expandability
The PW 800 uses an array of four impressive drivers that sound pretty formidable out of the box. I heard stereo separation that's usually uncommon from a single speaker. A pair of 1" tweeters cover the highs while two 5" mid/woofers deliver energetic mids and a substantial amount of bass. It's got some thump, but if you need more, Paradigm has built in a subwoofer output so you can connect a separate powered sub (not included).
Anthem Room Correction (ARC)
The PW 800 features a sound-shaping technology called ARC room optimization. I found it made the bass a little tighter and it extended the "sweet spot" in my room — even though I placed the speaker in a less-than-ideal location.
It was a simple process. I plugged the included mic into my laptop's USB port, and walked through the step-by-step instructions. The mic measured how sound reflected off my basement walls, pool table, and furnishings. Then the speaker adjusted itself automatically and wirelessly.
The PW 800 includes a calibration mic that connects to your computer to automatically adjust the speaker's settings to your room.
Setup and control Play-Fi on your phone, tablet, or laptop
The PW 800 connects to your home network via dual-band Wi-Fi®, reducing drop-outs and interference. Download the free DTS Play-Fi app and you're ready to use the speaker in mere minutes. It's available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows® PC operating systems. Use the app to select music, control playback, and adjust volume.
Mix and match speakers in other rooms
With Play-Fi, you can create a simple yet flexible multi-room audio system. Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple components and speakers or play a different song in every room. Family members can even control speakers independently with their own devices.
Best of all, the Paradigm PW 800 can work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers and components, offering more flexibility than other closed systems.
Explore more Paradigm PW products and expand your DTS Play-Fi system
PW 600 - A wireless bookshelf speaker provides big sound for smaller rooms.
PW AMP - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player
- 2-way stereo tabletop speaker
- four built-in drivers powered by dedicated amplifiers:
- two 5" front-firing mid/bass woofers
- two 1" S-PAL™ dome tweeters
- Anthem Room Correction technology optimizes speaker's sound to your room
- included calibration mic captures the room's reflections and other sound challenges
- mic connects to your laptop via USB (Windows 7 or 8 required)
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- allows speaker to communicate with other Paradigm PW devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- 3.5mm aux input for connecting a smartphone other portable music player
- Ethernet port allows a hardwired connection to your home network
- USB port for firmware updates
- volume control and button to toggle room correction "on" and "off"
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- AC adapter included (must be plugged in to outlet)
- 802.11g/n Wi-Fi router required for multi-room streaming
- works with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz routers
- 20-1/16"W x 6-15/16"H x 6-7/8"D
- weight: 13.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet and Wi-Fi router
What's in the Box:
- Wireless active speaker
- 5.5' AC power cord
- Auto calibration mic
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- 6.5' microUSB-to-USB cable
- Owner's Manual
- "Setup For iOS Device Users" instructions
- "Setup For PC Users" instructions
- "Setup For Android Users" instructions
- Online Product Registration Reminder
- Spotify Connect brochure
Great sounding speaker for its size
Gary, Lebanon, TN
Paradigm PW 800 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Wireless Active Speaker: The PW800 combines Paradigm's innovative loudspeaker and amplifier engineering with state-of-the-art DTS Play-Fi wireless streaming technology, so you can experience the freedom of wireless audio streaming with bold, dynamic performance. The PW800 delivers stereo sound from a single speaker.
- Anthem Class-D Amp: The Paradigm PW800 wireless loudspeaker is powered by an 220W RMS/460W Peak Anthem Class-D amplifier for clear, dynamic sound that sound great at any volume level.
- S-PAL Drivers: Dual 1" S-PAL (satin-anodized pure-aluminum), Ferro-fluid dome tweeters deliver exceptional high frequency response. Two 5" S-PAL midrange/bass drivers with high-excursion foam-rubber elastomer surrounds and 1" high-temp voice coils provide excellent midrange and midbass response. The dual tweeters and two midrange/bass drivers are configured for stereo playback from a single loudspeaker.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC) Technology: Paradigm's exclusive Anthem Room Correction (ARC) Technology uses an exclusive calibration microphone and advanced DSP algorithms to quickly and easily optimize speaker performance in any space. In just a few easy steps the microphone measures sound output, compares it to scientifically optimal response curves, and instantly adjusts your wireless speaker's output for perfect sound.
Note: To use this feature, you will need to download the ARC 2 Software v1.1.3638 onto your Windows PC running Windows 7 or 8 (32- or 64-bit), and connect the included ARC microphone to a free USB (type-A) port on your compatible Windows PC using the supplied 6.5' microUSB-to-USB cable.
Premium Wireless (PW) Series: The Paradigm PW800 wireless active speaker is part of Paradigm's Premium Wireless (PW) Series, a collection of wireless products that allow you to control what you want to listen to from your smartphone, tablet, or computer and stream it wirelessly to any room. You can start with one Paradigm Premium Wireless (PW) series product and then add more throughout your home or office.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Paradigm's Premium Wireless (PW) Series of wireless speakers, amplifiers, and adapters employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Paradigm PW800 is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (10/100) LAN port to hardwire the speaker to your home's network router. The PW800 also features built-in WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) for a wireless connection to your home network.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the Paradigm PW800 to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free DTS Play-Fi App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi App onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Paradigm Premium Wireless (PW) series speaker, as well as add, link, and control all your PW series and DTS Play-Fi components. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Premium Wireless (PW) series and DTS Play-Fi enabled products throughout your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: Paradigm's Premium Wireless (PW) Series supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS & Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the PW800 through the free DTS Play-Fi app.
- Online Music Services: From the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Audio: The Paradigm Premium Wireless (PW) Series wireless speaker is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Aux Input: A 3.5mm auxiliary input lets you connect and play music from other audio sources, such as a portable CD player or MP3 player with an audio output or headphone output jack. This input can only be played back at the speaker location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Sub Output: The PW800 speaker features a mono-RCA subwoofer output with a fixed 100Hz low-pass crossover for connection of a powered sub (sold separately).
Side-Panel Controls: The Paradigm PW800 features side-panel, push-button controls for Power On/Off, Source Select, Volume Up/Down, and Mute.
AC Power: The Paradigm PW800 operates off of standard household current using its integrated power supply and detachable 6.5' AC power cord.
Mounting Options: The PW800 wireless active speaker can be table-top mounted using its integrated rubber feet.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
It was offered for free with my purchase, but prefer black components. Paradigm is a great brand so excited to have it. [ John Dec 16, 2017 ]
reviews positive [ Mark Nov 26, 2016 ]
Seems to be the best multi-room system choice for our needs in terms of function, flexibility, network capabilities, [sound] quality, price/value. [ CHARLES Dec 15, 2015 ]