Sennheiser RS 5000
Wireless TV listening system with in-ear headphones
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Sennheiser RS 5000 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The cure for a common TV sound problem
You'd be surprised how often we hear it. Calls and emails from our customers that start with “My <insert family member here> has to play the TV so loud, I can hear it in the other room.” The Sennheiser RS 5000 wireless headphone system solves exactly that problem. You hear your shows, movies, and music clearly through a pair of personal wireless in-ear headphones — sparing others in your household from the loud volumes.
The Sennheiser RS 5000's transmitter connects to your TV and sends audio wirelessly to the headset
How it works, and what's included
Use one of the included cables to connect the RS 5000's transmitter to your TV or audio system. The transmitter sends an audio signal wirelessly to the included headset. This lightweight headset fits around your neck lanyard-style, and features a pair of comfortable earbuds.
Now you can watch TV late at night, and even turn it up loud without disturbing others. Control the volume with two thumb-sized buttons found on the center of the headset. A full charge of the headset gives you up to 12 hours of wireless use.
Makes speech easier to understand
Another top customer complaint about TV sound? Dialogue is just too hard to hear and understand. On the side of the headset's center controls, you'll find a "Speech Intelligibility" button. This feature highlights voices while minimizing background noises and distractions.
You can also choose from three presets on the transmitter to further suit your TV and music listening preference. Use the balance control to fine-tune the amount of volume in the left or right ear.
- transmits sound wirelessly from a TV or audio system to a set of in-ear headphones
- includes several listening modes to compensate for personal hearing needs and preferences
Wireless Audio Transmitter:
- RF wireless transmitter range: up to 200 feet
- connects to TV via one of its included cables:
- 59" optical digital cable
- 79" stereo mini cable
- three sound profile presets
- left and right ear balance control
- includes multi-country AC adapter for power
- docking station for charging the wireless headset
- can send audio to as many as four different headsets ( separate RR 5000 headsets required)
RR 5000 Wireless Headphone Set:
- lightweight lanyard receiver with attached in-ear headphones
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 12 hours of operation
- two pairs of silicon eartips for proper fit and comfort
- large volume buttons
- "Speech Intelligibility" button for boosting dialogue
- battery status LED
- turns off automatically when not in use
- weight: 1.16 ounces
- radio frequency: 2.4-2.48 GHz
- frequency response: 15-16,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 125 dB
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- RR 5000 Wireless "stethoset" headphones
- 2 Pairs of silicone rubber ear pads (1 pair installed)
- TR 5000 Docking station
- AC adapter with attached 58" DC output cord (DC output: 5V 1A)
- 4 AC plug adapters (No Amer / Euro / UK / Australia)
- 59" Optical digital cable
- 64" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug on one side and right-angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Guide
- Compliance Information
Use for watching movies on TV so the wife doesn't tell me to turn it down. Perfect for me. Good sound level control and the speech enhancement function really helps.
Luther, Stonewood, WV
Sennheiser RS 5000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Sennheiser RS 5000 Digital Wireless TV headphones enhance your TV watching experience by providing clear, intelligible audio of your favorite programs. The RS 5000 includes a docking station (TR 5000), a "stethoset" receiver (RR 5000), digital and analog connecting cables, and an extra pair of ear pads.
RR 5000: With a range of up to 200 feet, the RR 5000 wireless "stethoset" receiver allows you to move around freely while you watch TV. The headset receiver automatically turns on/off when you put it on and take it off. It has a built-in Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery (3.7V, 350mAh) with a typical operating time of up to 12 hours. The RR 5000 features replaceable silicone rubber ear pads, available in two sizes for the proper fit. The "stethoset" receiver has an on-board volume control and Speech Intelligibility button.
TR 5000: The TR 5000 docking station and transmitter charges the RR 5000 headset in approximately 3 hours. You can connect an audio source, such as your TV or home stereo, using the supplied optical digital (Toslink) or analog cables (3.5mm). The included AC adapter has four interchangeable power plug adapters (North America, Europe, Great Britain, and Australia), allowing you to use the RS 5000 system most anywhere in the world. The TR 5000 lets you check the charging status of a docked receiver, as well as the remaining charge of a paired receiver when it is turned on.
Settings: The RS 5000 offers several settings for tailoring your listening experience to your individual tastes or needs:
- Hearing Profiles: The hearing profiles change the sound
of the audio signal to improve speech intelligibility by using compression,
and boosting/attenuating certain frequencies. Using the keypad on the
transmitter, you can choose from the following profiles:
- Hearing Profile 1: Low frequency tones are slightly boosted to provide a warm sound. High frequency sounds are reduced to make them less piercing.
- Hearing Profile 2: High frequencies are strongly boosted to give you a crystal-clear sound.
- Hearing Profile 3: Low frequencies are lowered to prevent them from overpowering the high frequencies.
- Speech Intelligibility Function: The Speech Intelligibility function automatically detects and reduces unwanted background noise to make speech easier to understand. The Speech Intelligibility button is located on the headset. A status LED on the transmitter will glow blue when the function is activated. Speech Intelligibility can be used in combination of any of the three Hearing Profiles.
- Balance: You can adjust the left/right balance of the headset using the L and R buttons on the transmitter.
Pairing Multiple Receivers: Up to four RR 5000 "stethoset" receivers can be simultaneously paired to the transmitter. When more than one receiver is paired, you can not adjust the balance, nor will the remaining charge status and hearing profile be displayed on the transmitter.
RS 5000 System:
- Carrier Frequency: 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz
- Modulation: 8-FSK Digital
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
- Analog Input: typ. 85 dBA at 1 Vrms
- Digital Input: > 90 dBA
- RF Output: Max 10 dBm
- Audio Latency: < 60 ms
- Transmission Range: Up to 200 feet (line of sight)
RR 5000 Headset:
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz to 16 kHz
- Max SPL: 125 dB at 1 kHz, 3% THD
- THD: < 0.5% at 1 kHz, 100 dB SPL
- Battery: Operating Time: up to 12 hours; Charging Time: up to 3 hours
- Dimensions: Width 4.01" Height 10.433" Depth 0.91"
- Weight: 2.2 ounces
TR 5000 Transmitter:
- Digital Input:
- Optical (Toslink):
- Supported Data Stream: PCM 32kHz to 96kHz / 16 to 24-bit
- Analog Input: 3.5mm stereo
- Digital Input:
- Dimensions: Width 1.95" Height 1.63" Depth 10.604"
- Weight: 8.2 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Need two headsets and this was a little cheaper since scratch and dent [ Ed Jan 25, 2018 ]
Did not have good luck with TV Ears........ [ Orrin Jan 10, 2018 ]
referral from a friend [ Karen Nov 28, 2017 ]
Was unaware of this product into my look that the Crutchfield website. Had not been pleased with TV ears, which I have used for a long time. This product seems to be better. [ ABEL Nov 13, 2017 ]
My wife needs it [ Jan Oct 20, 2017 ]
I am hearing impaired. I have a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones with simulated surround sound and "Voice Enhancement" feature but they are several years old and not in great shape and not as attuned to my hearing ability as they were when I purchased them. From what I have read the RS 5000 system is more geared for impaired hearing than cinema sound enhancement which is what I want. I want speech recognition technology that I can tailor to my needs. Hopefully I made the right choice. [ Richard Jul 25, 2017 ]
Wife has hard time hearing TV, especially British shows. Hearing is not bad enough for hearing aids, which cost a LOT more than a TV hearing aid. She also does not like wearing headest(over the head) for long periods....gives her a headache, so the ear bug type works much better. Have tried cheaper versions, but they all have issue right away, so going with a good brand this time(Shennheizer) [ Earl May 30, 2017 ]
Sew a lot and can't hear TV over sewing machine [ grace May 25, 2017 ]
Have had other Sennheiser headsets still have two that have been very good, was glad to see this unit has optical input in the past only analog wish they would go to Bluetooth but this will help [ R May 22, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
I use the Sennheiser 528124 white silicone cushions to lessen the ear discomfort. I also allow the headset to rest low in my ears (not directly over the ear canal). But still agree with you that they can be annoying. I replaced Sennheiser SET 840TV and RS 180 with the RS 5000 and find the RS5000 to bemuse better than the other headsets for sound compression to accommodate my hearing loss. The only annoying feature of the RS 5000 is the elongated design of the volume control unit which allows for noise to be translated as the headset rubs on my shirt. Despite these issues the RS 5000's are better than getting hearing aids. With the changing legislation permitting over the counter sale of hearing aid devices I expect that headphone manufactures will be promoting more options in devices for the hearing impaired. [ Leonard Sep 22, 2017 ]