7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X
Our take on the Sony STR-DN1080 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Cinematic sound for any space
Turn any living space into an immersive home theater with Sony's STR-DN1080. This feature-packed receiver is a great match for the latest 4K TVs and Blu-ray players. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding delivers 360-degree surround sound for the most lifelike movie experience you can have at home.
Take control with your mobile device
Enjoy convenient control with your phone or tablet. Sony's SongPal app is a free download for your Apple® or Android™ device. And if you have a Google Home controller, you can use it for hands-free control of music playback and volume.
Wireless listening made easy
The STR-DN1080 gives you all kinds of wireless listening choices. Chromecast built-in lets you use your phone, tablet, or computer to stream music from over 100 audio apps to the receiver. Apple AirPlay lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more wireless music options. Plus, you can stream audio from the receiver to a set of Bluetooth headphones — great for late-night listening.
Flexible speaker connections for the system you want
The STR-DN1080 has connections for nine speakers, and can power up to seven speakers at once. You can set up a standard 7.2-channel surround sound system, or you can reassign the surround back channels to be used as height channels in a Dolby Atmos system. You can also use these channels to power a second pair of front "B" speakers, or to bi-amp your main front speakers for more powerful sound. Powered Zone 2 outputs let you set up a stereo system in another room. Choosing one of these options gives you 5.2-channel surround sound in your home theater.
Powerful processing for optimal sound
Special processing lets you take full advantage of the STR-DN1080's flexible features. The receiver's Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates the sound of rear speakers for 7-channel sound from a 5-speaker setup. Or, if you're working with a smaller space, you can hook up just one pair of speakers, and get virtual surround sound effects without having to place speakers all around the room.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The STR-DN1080 is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound
- supports a 5.1.2 Atmos system
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- DCAC EX auto calibration with virtual speaker relocation for easy, accurate speaker setup even in tricky spaces
- Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates 7-channel surround sound with only 5 speakers
- S-FORCE PRO Front Surround delivers virtual surround sound from just 2 speakers
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify Connect® (subscription required)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- supported apps include Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, TIDAL, and TuneIn radio
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- DLNA-certified for streaming music from compatible networked computers and devices
- plays high-resolution DSD and PCM digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (DSD: up to 5.6MHz; PCM: up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- DSEE HX technology upscales your music to near high-resolution sound quality
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible phone, tablet, or computer
- LDAC™ technology enables transfer of high-resolution audio content via Bluetooth connection
- Bluetooth wireless transmission to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- NFC compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd room output allows 5.2-channel home theater in main room)
- line-level stereo audio output for Zone 2 for use with a separate power amplifier
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all inputs and monitor outputs)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- stereo RCA Zone 2 outputs
- outputs for 9 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Zone 2 L/R)
- Receiver can power a maximum of 7 channels at once
- Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front Height or Front B speakers, or to bi-amp compatible Front speakers
- IR/remote in/out for use with IR repeaters or external control systems
- Ethernet port
- 1/4" headphone jack
- 4K and 3D pass-through
- free Sony SongPal app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote; SongPal Link wirelessly connects compatible Sony components for whole-home audio
- works with Google Home voice-activated controller
- BRAVIA® Sync™ for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- dual Wi-Fi antennas
- 30 FM presets
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 6-3/16"H x 13-1/16"D
- weight: 21.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RMT-AA320U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- "Before Connecting Speakers" note
- "How To Set Up The SongPal App" instructions
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
After two weeks happy with receiver thus far. Owners manual and setup sheet is written well and effective in use for setup. Decent power for surround sound and option available to use external amplifier for one channel (such as front speakers).
Rick, Seneca, SC
Sony STR-DN1080 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Quality Construction & Circuitry: Borrowing construction and circuitry design from Sony's ES line, the STR-DN1080 AV receiver utilizes selected audio-grade components and parts that together add up to high-quality sound performance.
- Class-Leading Pre-Amp Volume IC w/ Quality Capacitors: The new pre-amp goes way beyond other receivers in this class for optimum High-Resolution Audio delivery. A single-point ground and independent power supply promotes purer sound with less interference. Newly developed high-quality audio surface-mounted electrolytic capacitors, together with a more robust DAC power source and optimized substrate patterning, help to achieve a stable low range with high resolution.
- Precision Crystal Oscillator & Jitter Elimination Circuit: Specifically designed for audio from HDMI sources, vacuum-sealed oscillators prevent signal jitter and ensure high-resolution music, and surround sound formats are faithfully reproduced with a wide sound stage. A combination of carefully tuned analog and digital circuitry reduces jitter to ensure accurate real-time audio processing.
- High Quality Power Supply: Care and attention to the highest-quality audio starts with the power transformer. Internal wiring is vacuum-coated for uncolored sound, and a specially developed copper and steel shield ensures powerful bass and accurate vocal frequencies. In addition, each digital device has its own analog voltage regulator to keep high-frequency noise from distorting the analog signal.
- ES Grade Solder & Fine Sound Resistor: The ES grade sound-quality solder uses a high-purity tin base mixed with a small amount of specially chosen metal elements, producing a sound that is tight and refined. The high-quality surface-mounted resistor uses pure copper electrodes to attain high volume data conductivity for rich, vivid audio quality, and is designed to address the limited space of high-density circuitry.
- Newly Designed Heat Sink & Digital Circuit Board: Newly designed fins maximize air intake, helping the amplifier circuit withstand unwanted sound pressure and keep cool. The newly designed casting metal framework and heat sink bracket shield the circuits from sound pressure and radiation, for high rigidity and clearer sound quality.
Assignable 7-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). For greater stability and output power a glass-epoxy circuit board is used. Unlike cheaper resin boards, internal vibrations are reduced for less distortion, just clear high power from each of the discrete amplifiers. The AV receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate a variety of home theater setups.
- 7.1Ch: The Sony STR-DN1080 provides 7.1ch surround in your main listening area with dedicated Surround Back speakers. Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio).
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: In this setup, you can hook up a 7.1ch speaker system in the main room and a pair of speakers in Zone 2 to the receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels of your home theater system will be powered. However, when Zone 2 is turned on, power to the Surround Back speakers will be cut off and directed to the pair of speakers in Zone; limiting you to only 5.1ch surround in the main room.
- 5.1.2Ch: A Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1ch speaker layout (Front, Center, Surround) complemented by two Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. In this configuration, the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels are used to power the Dolby Atmos speaker channels.
- 5.1.2Ch + Zone 2: In this setup, you can hook up a 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos speaker system in the main room and a pair of speakers in Zone 2 to the receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels of your Dolby Atmos speaker system will be powered. However, when Zone 2 is turned on, power to the Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos speakers will be cut off and directed to the pair of speakers in Zone; limiting you to only 5.1ch surround in the main room.
- 5.1Ch + Zone 2: The receiver is able to power a 5.1ch speaker system (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R) in the main listening area, while powering Zone 2 speakers in a second room. Surround Back or Height speakers are not available.
- 5.1Ch Bi-Amp: The Surround Back/Height speaker channels can be reassigned and used along with the Front channels to bi-amp the front speakers, providing improved bass & treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers the receiver is limited to a 5.1ch speaker system in the main room (no Surround Back or Height speakers).
- 5.1Ch + Front B: With a 5.1ch home theater setup in the main listening room, a second pair of front speakers for dedicated 2ch music playback can be powered by the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels.
DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) EX w/ APM (Automatic Phase Matching): The Sony STR-DN1080 is equipped with DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) EX technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, check for phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: 3 powerful DSP (digital signal processors) support the latest 3D surround sound formats, ensuring the highest accuracy in signal decoding. The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2ch, 2.8 MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, and DTS Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The STR-DN1080 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-DN1080 supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz (2ch) decoding thru USB & DLNA, as well as DSD 2.8/5.6MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
Direct & Headphone Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes and a Headphone 2ch for higher fidelity sound.
- Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Pure Direct: To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
- HP 2CH: This mode is selected automatically if you use headphones. Standard 2-channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels except LFE signals
Audio Enhancements: The Sony STR-DN1080 incorporates many different types of audio technologies to help your system sound its best whether you are enjoying high-resolution or compressed audio files.
- DSEE HX: The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales your 2ch stereo 44.1kHz or 48kHz digital music files and takes them closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio. By restoring the high-range sound lost in the compression process, DSEE HX produces your digital music files in rich, natural sound, closer to the quality of the original recording.
- D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
- Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Flexible Speaker Solutions: Sony's flexible speaker solutions "relocate" sound to simulate the optimal position and angle for the best audio experience, working around any physical space restrictions. The Sony STR-DN1080 offers several unique flexible speakers solutions when you can't accommodate a conventional 5.2ch or 7.2ch speaker setup in your room.
- Front Surround: The AV receiver's S-Force PRO front surround mode delivers a virtual surround acoustic field using only 2.1 channels (a pair of front speakers & powered sub). So there is no need to place rear speakers behind you.
- Phantom Surround Back: The Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates the immersive sound of physical Surround Back speakers, enabling you to enjoy a 7 channel surround sound experience with only a 5 channel speaker setup.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually re-locate the Front and Center speakers of your in-ceiling speakers to around the screen. Now you will hear their characters' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural and rich in the room with in-ceiling speakers.
Center Lift Up & DTS:X Dialog Control: The Center Life Up feature reproduces a natural sound that feels more authentic by lifting the sound from the center speaker up to the height of the screen. The DTS:X Dialog Control function adjusts the dialog levels over background sound during playback of a DTS:X soundtrack.
Audio Outputs: The Sony STR-DN1080 is fitted with the following audio outputs.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10 AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Front-Panel Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: The receiver is equipped with six HDMI 2.0a inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz video, HDR (High Dynamic Range), 4:4:4 color subsampling (not front-panel), BT.2020 video, & HDCP 2.2.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony STR-DN1080 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. This receiver supports the HDR 10 format out of the box. An available firmware update provides support for Dolby Vision and HLG.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's rear-panel HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI input only supports up to 4:2:0.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Dual HDMI Outputs: There are two HDMI 2.0a outputs that feed audio/video signals to up to two TVs. You can toggle or simultaneously output the same video between two displays, such as two televisions or a television plus a projector. Or you can setup the second HDMI output as a Zone 2 output, so you can view a different audio/video source in another room of your home (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
1080p to 4K Upscale for HDMI: The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upscale function improves image quality of 1080p high-def sources to ultra-HD 4K. You can upscale 1080p HDMI input video signals to 4K and output them through the main HDMI monitor output jack of the receiver. The HDMI B/Zone output does not support upscaling.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-DN1080 incorporates Triluminos Color & Deep Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver include ARC, HDMI Standby Pass-Through, AV Sync, and 3D video.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Composite Video: The Sony receiver offers two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output that support up to 480i video. The composite video inputs must be out through the receiver's composite video monitor output (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select online music services from Google Cast and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony AV receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Sony AV receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the AV receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Sony AV receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Sony AV receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Sony AV receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3.3+), or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your PC or Mac to the Sony STR-DN1080, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Sony receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
DLNA Certified: The Sony STR-DN1080 is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony STR-DN1080 to your home's network, you can listen to variety of compressed & hi-res music files and view still-image files on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server through the receiver and your home entertainment system. It can recognize up to a total of 999 network files/folders. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
- Still-Images: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
FM Tuner: The STR-DN1080 has 30 presets for FM radio stations. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name. There is no AM tuner on this receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 (A2DP 1.2 & AVRCP 1.5) for wireless audio streaming and control. The STR-DN1080 can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones.
- Receiver Mode: In receiver mode, you'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the Sony receiver. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Song/artist information is displayed on the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the receiver also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the AV receiver's built-in FM tuner, network streaming content, online music services from Google Cast Audio and Music Center App, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The receiver's connected speakers are muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
- Simple Pairing: The STR-DN1080 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the receiver's NFC tag on the front-panel. For older Android (OS 2.3.3+)smartphones, you'll need to download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function. Once paired, the AV receiver will automatically re-connect to your device or headphone when within range (up to 33').
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of compressed & hi-res music files and still-image files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The receiver can recognize up to 500 total files/folders. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music or photo files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
- Still-Images: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones/tablets.
Zone 2: Zone 2 features line-level and speaker-level outputs. Zone 2 can be powered by a separate amplifier (keeping 7.1ch playback in your main room) or by the STR-DN1080's built-in amplifier (limiting the main room to 5.1ch). The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Home Network (including AirPlay & DLNA), Music Services (including Spotify Connect & Chromecast built-in) and Bluetooth input sources are supported in Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level output. When selecting USB, Home Network, Music Services, or Bluetooth from the main zone and Zone 2, priority is given to the choice which has most recently been selected; even if a different choice has already been selected in one of the zones. Different radio stations cannot be played back in the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog & HDMI video input sources, as well as HDMI audio & Optical/Coaxial digital input sources cannot be output to Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level. DSD music files via USB or DLNA cannot be output via Zone 2.
HDMI Zone: The Sony AV receiver provides a HDMI Zone output, so two different HDMI audio/video input feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. The HDMI Zone will also output 2ch audio signals (multi-channel audio is downmixed) for the HDMI input source selected, while maintain multichannel audio in the main zone (if you select the same HDMI source in the Main Zone and the HDMI Zone, then both zones will be limited to 2ch). If you connect TVs that have different resolutions in the Main Zone and HDMI Zone, but select the same HDMI input for both zones, the video signals output to each TV are limited to the lower resolution TV.
- Compatible Sources: Only rear-panel HDMI input sources are supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
- Incompatible Sources: The front-panel HDMI input, AM/FM tuner, Analog video, USB, Bluetooth, Home Network, Music Services, and Optical/Coaxial sources are not supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
Wireless Multiroom Audio: The STR-DN1080 AV receiver also supports wireless multiroom audio streaming via Sony's Music Center app (previously called SongPal Link). With the Sony Music Center app on your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device, you can link multiple Sony Music Center compatible devices (sold separately) together to create zones, allowing you to stream the same or different audio sources from the app to multiple rooms throughout your house over your home's WiFi network. Compatible music sources include -
- Music stored on a USB thumbdrive/flashdrive, computer/laptop, or smartphone/tablet.
- Internet radio & online music services.
- Source devices connected to the HDMI, Optical/Coaxial digital, or Analog inputs of the receiver.
- TVs compatible with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function and connected to the receiver's HDMI Out A.
Note: Bluetooth, AirPlay, & DSD audio are not supported by the receiver's wireless multiroom audio feature.
Chromecast Built-in Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from compatible Chromecast music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to you system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
Google Home Voice Commands: With the Google Home voice-activated speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Sony AV receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
Remote Apps: The Sony STR-DN1080 offers remote control from your Apple iOS or Android device via Sony's Music Center (formerly called SongPal) or Video & TV SideView apps.
- Music Center App: Download Sony's free Music Center app onto your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device to control the AV receiver from your mobile device via a Bluetooth or WiFi connection. From the Music Center app, you can select input sources and customize sound settings of the Sony AV receiver. You'll also be able to browse music stored on your Network, Computer, or a USB mass storage class device from the Music Center app on your compatible smartphone. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your smartphone using the Music Center app. The Music Center app will display song/artist information and album art.
- Video & TV SideView App: You can also control the receiver using Sony's Video & TV SideView app on your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.2+ mobile device. This app can also be used to control select Sony Smart TVs.
IR Remote w/ Bravia Sync: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage select Sony televisions and Sony HDMI audio/video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
IR In/Out: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with one IR input and one IR output enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door.
Advanced On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 6-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-DN1080 on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience. The on-screen menu is only available from the receiver's HDMI output. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Custom Presets: The Sony AV receiver features four Custom Presets that are accessible through the on-screen menu. Selecting a Custom Preset will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of a source input; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode. The presets are pre-configured, but can also be manually reconfigured to your preference. Customer Preset 1 & 2 have dedicated buttons on the remote control for even quicker access.
Input Mode & Name: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: Auto Standby sets the receiver to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver. You can also set the sleep timer to automatically turn off the receiver after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its network connection. Visit the Sony eSupport website for the latest software updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have an earlier model the DN 1050 receiver and it way out preforms a Pioneer Elite series I replaced. Adding this to my rec room in the basement. Looking forward to enjoying soon! [ W Aug 13, 2018 ]
Upgrading from my STR-DN1040. Love the sounds and features! [ Dennis Jul 31, 2018 ]
Go with my Sony hdr tv [ Robert Jul 28, 2018 ]
I hope its as good as I think [ jose Jul 26, 2018 ]
I have a shallow tv stand that is only 16.5" deep. This fits nicely. We also have whole house speakers so I wanted a receiver that could power at least an additional zone. Plus, it has all the latest encoding for HDR, 4k pass-through, etc. [ David Jul 13, 2018 ]
Product reviews and price break. [ Michael Jul 13, 2018 ]
my husband love it [ WANDA Jul 02, 2018 ]
Recommended by a friend. [ Lewis Jun 16, 2018 ]
Reviews and features of receiver, especially the hdmi inputs and outputs [ Phillip Jun 16, 2018 ]
Replacing a Sony receiver that does not support current 4K passthru [ CAMERON Jun 15, 2018 ]
This unit was consistently highly reviewed, especially for sound quality and playing music [ Dan Jun 11, 2018 ]
Reviews! [ Daniel Jun 05, 2018 ]
Price and features [ Fidel May 30, 2018 ]
Highly Rated !! [ FRED May 30, 2018 ]
best value for dual hdmi outputs and sony always has quality products [ KELLY May 25, 2018 ]
Best receiver for the money. Great reviews and great information was provided on it. [ Michael May 20, 2018 ]
Excellent ratings from professional A/V critics. [ Kathleen A. May 01, 2018 ]
like Sony! [ J Gary Apr 25, 2018 ]
recommended by electrician installing our new home theater. [ Terry Apr 23, 2018 ]
To complement my Sony A1e and ubp-x800 Blu ray player. [ ARINDALL Apr 21, 2018 ]
best on cnet and has two hdmi out's [ Maynard Apr 17, 2018 ]
I like Sony's products. [ Duwane Apr 16, 2018 ]
Highly rated [ K Apr 16, 2018 ]
I did research on the best top rated receiver on google and cnet and this one was at the top of the list in both sites for premium sound and options. It also has 2nd room audio which is also a feature I need. [ RAYMOND Apr 12, 2018 ]
Replacing a 25 year old Sony receiver. Has all necessary inputs and capabilities. [ Vicky Apr 12, 2018 ]
read multiple reviews from CNet and other reputable sites. This had the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. [ Raymond Apr 10, 2018 ]
well review by wha hi-fi and others. sony es components have been good to me in past. [ michael Mar 29, 2018 ]
#1 reviewed receiver by cnet [ TODD Mar 28, 2018 ]
Best Reviewed Affordable ATMOS receiver [ Herbert Mar 23, 2018 ]
High customer reviews, hoping it works seamlessly with the new 4K Sony TV and UHD player that I bought from Crutchfield over past 2 months. [ Scott Mar 23, 2018 ]
Sound & Quality!!! [ T Mar 20, 2018 ]
Have the older version -- needed to upgrade to the 2.2 compliant for 4K - My Tv and other systems were not happy with my old unit. This does it without breaking my bank and is a step up from my STR-DN690 .. [ Scott Mar 15, 2018 ]
Reviews on sound quality [ C Mar 10, 2018 ]
Very good reviews, good price, and all of the features I need. [ Michele Mar 10, 2018 ]
Just another addiction to my new 4K video system . [ A Mar 09, 2018 ]
Features to price ratio [ Carlos Mar 08, 2018 ]
Good revies on Crutchfield and AV forum. [ Janne Mar 01, 2018 ]
Great Reviews!! [ Erik J. Feb 23, 2018 ]
Features offered, specifically connectivity options (Bluetooth, Chromecast, Airplay, Dolby Atmos) as well as online reviews. [ James Feb 12, 2018 ]
Great quality, great features and 2 zones which were important to me. [ Johnny Feb 08, 2018 ]
High quality reputation, multiple HDMI ports, 100 watts/channel [ Thomas Jan 14, 2018 ]
LCAD (Sony's Proprietary) Wireless Bluetooth Streaming from Receiver [ Karen Jan 09, 2018 ]
Best reviews by far for a low to mid range receiver. Easy to use is a must for a loft gaming/movie/music room. This will hopefully be a great fit. [ CHRIS Dec 23, 2017 ]
new home build and needed the features to make gameroom and living room both have easy control for different medias [ Ben Dec 14, 2017 ]
After reading the various reviews I said to myself this is what my friend has been looking for. I have purchase from Crutchfield years ago and I keep coming back. [ John Nov 24, 2017 ]
Highly recommended by several audio publications and websites. [ Randy Nov 24, 2017 ]
Talked to cructchfield customer support, Hunter helped. [ NAGASIVA GANGA Nov 24, 2017 ]
Great reviews and old amp was 16 years old without HDMI. [ Bryce Nov 24, 2017 ]
CNET rating. Black Friday deal. [ David Nov 23, 2017 ]
Reviews very positive [ David Nov 22, 2017 ]
Has the features I want, it received a good recommendation from the CNET editors and was priced right. [ Ronald Nov 22, 2017 ]
Best value based of of online reviews, replaced Denon AVR-2000 that had HDMI issues [ M Nov 21, 2017 ]
at this time based on reviews only. [ vijay Nov 20, 2017 ]
Sony makes great recievers [ RICHARD Nov 20, 2017 ]
excellent reviews with bluetooth and wifi [ David Nov 19, 2017 ]
Past experience with Sony. All my components are Sody [ Gary Nov 19, 2017 ]
Upgrading from old system. Full features I need and a favorable price. [ Thomas Nov 18, 2017 ]
i have a history of buying this line of receiver. [ kenrick Nov 17, 2017 ]
Good reviews and top receiver [ Pradeep Nov 17, 2017 ]
Good reviews. Sony quality. Needed new AV receiver to replace my 20 year old Technics one. Price drop to $400 [ Stephen Nov 16, 2017 ]
Based on 2017 Reviews, it is the best AV Receiver under $600 [ Vincent Oct 26, 2017 ]
Made this purchase to upgrade my current Denon AVR-X2100W that was purchased in 2015. The Denon is not is not fully compatible with our new Sony XBR-65x930E. [ Curtis Oct 14, 2017 ]
Needed to upgrade 5 year old receiver. And this seems to be the best price point. [ Steven Sep 14, 2017 ]
Has all the features you could want in a modern receiver, reviews from all over are nothing but complimentary. Needed to replace a 1999 year ES model, and this seemes like the best solution, instead of the bigger, NON-wireless/internet/usb media savvy ES units. The Music Connect app for your phone is way easier to use than the onscreen menus which are a bit slow. Look forward to using it for years to come... [ DAVID Aug 30, 2017 ]
I am a big Sony fan... [ David Aug 28, 2017 ]
Positive reviews from several websites [ JOHN Aug 17, 2017 ]
I have had best experience with Sony versus others. [ T Aug 04, 2017 ]
Cost and quality. [ L Jul 29, 2017 ]
Good experience with DN-1070. Fast free delivery and no sales tax when buying from Crutchfield. All my TV's are Sony's, and other hardware including phone, computer and Apple TV are Apple products. I liked the compatibility. I will say that everywhere I checked the price for this receiver was the same. I have a feeling I am paying list price and am not particularly enamored with that - but I wanted it now. [ Paul Jul 23, 2017 ]
Best receiver for multi-room digital audio. [ Peter Jul 15, 2017 ]
I purchased this receiver because I already have one on my main theater system, and wanted the same capability on the master bedroom system. [ Kent Jul 14, 2017 ]
great reviews low price atmos and dts X [ Douglas Jul 12, 2017 ]
on line reviews [ chad Jun 20, 2017 ]
Interested in virtual speaker shift given my room layout [ Aaron Jun 07, 2017 ]
Ability to send audio out to Bluetooth headphones. [ Berry Jun 03, 2017 ]
Cnet review [ steve May 29, 2017 ]
Excellent Reviews [ reada May 25, 2017 ]
good reviews !!! good quality !! [ Patrick May 22, 2017 ]
To replace older receiver. The various reviews were good, and the price is good too. Also I have been pleased with Sony products. [ Barry May 17, 2017 ]
33 questions already asked
Yes you can. We also control a Sony CD player as well. [ Gordon Aug 03, 2018 ]
The remote that comes with this receiver does not have buttons to control other individual components per se, only power, source changes and receiver settings. It is smart in that if you turn on hdmi control on it and those other components, the tv will come on automatically, and sources powered on will switch the input on the receiver automatically. Newer Sony televisions will recognize the receiver is on and sync the volume controls where when the receiver is used, the tv gets automatically muted and it's volume controls then control the receiver, which is nice. The Sony Music Center smartphone app is also nice which will control all receiver functions thru the app, including power, source and streaming selections. When the receiver is on, it will be recognized by Apple airplay devices or Bluetooth as a playback source, and can be easily selected on your phone as well. These advantages make the somewhat limited remote that comes with the receiver not s big deal if it sits on a table somewhere relatively unused. I have enjoyed my str-dn1080 since last year and am glad I chose this smart receiver, and it sounds great! [ DAVID Aug 03, 2018 ]
If your remote has the ability to control more then one device, it should work. I use a Harmony remote to control my AV equipment. [ PAUL R Aug 03, 2018 ]
Yes you can. Turn on CEC and as you use the modes the other components can be controlled ie, volume, stop, pause, play, ff, rewind etc [ Jim Thomas Aug 03, 2018 ]
The Sony STR-DN1080 does have zone 2 outputs to power a pair of speakers in another room/area of your home. However HDMI audio & Optical/Coaxial digital input sources (like an AppleTV) cannot be output to zone 2. For more details or to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Aug 07, 2018 ] Staff
Yes, it has a very nice ready to use GUI. [ Jim Thomas Jun 02, 2018 ]
Yes. My in-laws have the 1070 and it is very similar, if not identical. [ DAVID Jun 02, 2018 ]
Yes, on the back of the receiver, there are 2 subwoofer outputs. [ Tong May 24, 2018 ]
Yes it is that easy, it has 2 sub outs and I run it that way. [ Steven May 23, 2018 ]
No, you need to connect a streamer like FireTV to stream via HDMI input. [ Albert Feb 14, 2018 ]
no. It does not have apps or stream content. [ Jon Feb 14, 2018 ]
Sorry.can't help. Really have no idea... [ Richard Feb 08, 2018 ]
Speak to a technician [ HARVEY Feb 08, 2018 ]
It is best to use banana plugs with the STR-DN1080. I use the Mediabridge Banana Plugs that can accommodate 8-18 AWG speaker wires. [ Aviezer Feb 04, 2018 ]
No, it does not. [ Jesus Jan 30, 2018 ]
work well [ Tai Jan 28, 2018 ]
Not sure if I have enabled this feature yet. Waiting to connect my two ceiling speakers later this month. That said i am pleased with this Sony unit. I have repositioned my 2 rear surround speakers and they sound much better as well. I have a 5-1 setup [ Stephen Jan 27, 2018 ]
Sorry, haven't tried it. [ JEFFREY Jan 27, 2018 ]
Don't really know haven't used it but the receiver itself so far is nice [ Daniel Jan 27, 2018 ]
Just one. The Built-in Bluetooth can transmit audio wirelessly to a single Bluetooth speaker or a single pair of Bluetooth headphones. The wired speakers will be muted when transmitting to a Bluetooth speaker or headphones. [ Ryan Jan 19, 2018 ] Staff
not sure. I don't have a turntable [ Brandon Jan 03, 2018 ]
Dick, I'm not sure if a turntable has to go through a preamp and then to the receiver, best call Crutchfield customer service. There are rca inputs. [ Mark Jan 03, 2018 ]
From Sony: To connect a turntable that only has a PHONO output jack, you need to connect a phono equalizer (not supplied) between the turntable and this receiver. Then you could connect it to one of the RCA input jacks such as video one as long as that HDMI port is not being used. [ Kevin Jan 03, 2018 ]
Yes, You will need to download an app to run the amp [ Mike Dec 31, 2017 ]
Unfortunately the only way to power the device is by the receiver remote and on the device. I personally have not been able to find a way to power the device from an iOS device, however, AirPlay still works great once the receiver is on. [ A Dec 31, 2017 ]
The 165 watt rating provided by Sony was taken with a 1kHz test tone running through the amp. We use the more accurate full-bandwidth (20-20,000Hz) wattage rating. Basically, when every single audible frequency between 20Hz and 20,000Hz is run through two channels of the amp at the same time, it produces 100 watts continuous (at 6 Ohms). For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jan 05, 2018 ] Staff
Yes, once paired via Bluetooth. It also plays music from your computer via iTunes. [ Dennis Dec 17, 2017 ]
I have not tried personally but manual for unit describes procedure for pairing and listening through Bluetooth headphones. [ Michael Dec 17, 2017 ]
Hi I just bought this unit with a pair of wireless so y headphones and Works great, o problem Good luck you'll be. Dry happy with the unit [ HARVEY Dec 16, 2017 ]
Sorry, I have not hucked it up and will not until early next year [ HARRY BERNARD Dec 15, 2017 ]
No directly, no. The Sony does not offer built-in compatibility with either Google Home or Amazon Echo but you can add a Logitech Harmony Home Hub (which is Alexa compatible) to control it (and other infrared devices) from an Amazon Echo: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_596HMNYHUB/item.html For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Dec 13, 2017 ] Staff
Sorry can not answer that I donot have a google or echo [ Daniel Dec 12, 2017 ]
I do not know. [ Richard Dec 11, 2017 ]
The wireless subwoofer in that soundbar system will only connect to the bar included with it. Also, the soundbar is not designed to work with a theater receiver. It is a stand alone powered speaker that will connect to the TV/projector without the need for a theater receiver. We do have wireless subwoofer kits that can work with this Sony receiver and others like it. I recommend contacting an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for a personal recommendation. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Dec 04, 2017 ] Staff
I have no idea, I returned the Sony and purchased an Onkyo and like it much better. [ Douglas Dec 04, 2017 ]
Living in the US, mine was 120. But, if you call Crutchfield, you can get a knowledgeable answer. Good luck. [ C Michael Nov 18, 2017 ]
No just bass and treble, but you can adjust independently for each speaker pair. Allegedly the automatic calibration/speaker setup with the mic adjusts for speaker/room frequency deficiencies, and then you can chose from 3 'calibration tyoes' Full flat, engineer and front reference. I like the engineer and front reference settings they brighten up the audio a bit. All in all not having a parametric settings like my older Sony es Receiver has it not really a big deal. The airplay and wireless/networking advantages more than make up for that. I quite enjoy my 1080 Receiver. [ DAVID Oct 31, 2017 ]
I didn't keep the Sony, I didn't like it. I belive the subwoofer crossover was set to 120hz. I exchanged for the Onkyo TX NR777 and I love it. [ Douglas Oct 31, 2017 ]
1 answer I currently use Bose Acoustamass 16 speakers and I'm totally fed up with all the wires. Can I ditch all that and go totally wireless with this receiver? Second, will any wireless speaker brand, such as Sonos work, or do I have to stay with Sony? Last, any wireless speaker suggestions? [ ROBERT Oct 10, 2017 ]
There are ways to have a wireless home theater system, but none of them use a home theater receiver. Sonos is one of the brands that offers a solution where you don't need to run wire all over the room. There are others too. I recommend calling an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for a personal recommendation on a system. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Oct 16, 2017 ] Staff
Yes, I have the same set up and it works flawlessly and sounds great! [ Todd Oct 08, 2017 ]
It should be perfect but call Crutchfield tech support to double check impedance. Good luck [ C Michael Oct 08, 2017 ]
According to the owner's manual (page 43) you would need to go into the "Setup" menu, select "Zone 2 power-ON" and then you can adjust the volume for zone 2 from either the Sony's remote or the front panel volume control. Zone 2 audio is also only output in stereo/2-channel. For more details or to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Oct 15, 2017 ] Staff
Home theater receivers do not offer the required "monitor Loop" connections needed for the external EQ of the Bose 901 speakers. The Yamaha R-S700 stereo receiver offers the required connections and has been a very popular model for owners of the Bose speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS700/item.html [ Ryan Sep 27, 2017 ] Staff
I don't know of an app but connecting it to the usb port and then using the amp remote press listen (select) usb and the contents should be displayed buy all music or artist or folders. [ Lynette Sep 18, 2017 ]
There doesn't seem to be any Sony app that's designed to help manage and control their receivers. I don't have the Walkman to try but don't even know what app I'd hope to use. [ Jon Sep 18, 2017 ]
Hey Clifford. The ST5000 is really designed to be a stand alone solution - so it would not be a good match for running as a center channel. If you're looking to upgrade your system though, I would recommend calling or chatting with an Advisors online. They can help discuss what options there are, and what will work with the gear you already have. [ Jeff Aug 29, 2017 ] Staff
1 answer When I turn on my Sony TV, my Sony STR-DN 1080 AV Receiver automatically comes on and projects the sound through my ceiling speakers, but no sound comes out my TV speakers. How do I get sound to come out of my TV speakers at the same time as the speakers connected to my Sony STR-DN 1080? Thanks in advance! [ Daniel Aug 16, 2017 ]
Tech Support is included with your purchase from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. [ Kenny Aug 18, 2017 ] Staff
Are you referring to 6 *ohm and 8 *ohm speakers? If so, the Sony STR-DN1080 would accommodate a 6-ohm center speaker with 8-ohm being used for the rest. Each of the receiver's 7-channels are stable down to 6-ohm (minimum); so speakers 6-ohm or higher would work. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Hope that helps! [ Larry Aug 05, 2017 ] Staff
2 answers Little confused. It states that Zone 2 wont work with HDMI inputs. The receiver has HDMI a and HDMI b. I want to use HDMI b to output to another TV. I know I can get audio/video on the TV from one of my HDMI inputs. I am using zone 2 RCA jacks to an amp and then to some speakers. I know this will work for my audio needs but can I get the audio from HDMI b onto those speakers from zone 2 RCA out? [ paul Jul 18, 2017 ]
I have this receiver, you can output any HDMI source to HDMI ZONE. However, you will not hear HDMI audio on Zone 2 only analog audio. You would need to connect to a powered amp to get audio to external speakers. [ Albert Feb 14, 2018 ]
Sorry, no. External sources connected to the receiver's HDMI, optical, coax digital and analog audio inputs cannot be output to Zone 2 (powered or pre-amp). So, you would either need to use the TV's built-in speakers or, you can connect the audio output of the second TV to an external amp or powered speaker. [ Ryan Jul 20, 2017 ] Staff
I was afraid it might not power my older 4 ohm speakers properly, but it does great and does not trigger errors. [ DAVID Aug 03, 2018 ]
Per the owner's manual the minimum impedance supported is 6-ohm across all seven channels. For more details, or to discuss further please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Hope that helps! [ Larry Jul 08, 2017 ] Staff
It has passthru but why would you not want your receiver running the sound? [ Lonnie Jul 03, 2017 ]
The str-dn1080 has pass-through hdmi so you can watch tv with the unit off. I haven't checked but I think it plays the last selected source. [ Jonathan Jul 02, 2017 ]
No, but you will have to turn on the hdmi pass thru in the options menu. It is off by default. [ Thomas Jul 02, 2017 ]
No. The receiver does not have to be on always, but you have to set it in the System Setup menu. [ Jesus Jul 02, 2017 ]
Yes. The manual says there is an option to biamp the front speakers with one of the additional channels. [ Jonathan May 31, 2017 ]
1 answer My application is that Zone 1 is TV/movies and Zone 2 is for loud music. I would like to have Zone 2 outputs go to a powered amp, then to my speakers. #1. Can Zone 2 effectively serve as a pre-amp for a powered amp? #2. Also, will the "Subwoofer Out" output connection support a powered subwoofer that's in Zone 2 -- or, do the two "Subwoofer Out" connections only support Zone 1? Thank you! [ Mike May 21, 2017 ]
The Sony STR-DN1080 features line-level (RCA) zone 2 outputs which can be fed to an external amplifier to power your zone 2 speakers. However, both subwoofer outputs are designated for the main zone. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. Hope that helps! [ Larry May 27, 2017 ] Staff
1 answer Is Zone 2 digital output prohibited on the DN1080 as i had been on it's predecessors (DN1050-1070) where AirPlay, HDMI and optical/coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 2? This has been such a disappointment with these "Crippled" Sony's zone 2 - a HUGE flaw in an otherwise great receiver; but a +$300 issue (cost to add another HDMI receiver in a second room). [ Timothy May 15, 2017 ]
USB, Home Network (including AirPlay & DLNA), Music Services (including Spotify Connect & Chromecast built-in) and Bluetooth input sources are supported in Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level output. However, HDMI audio & Optical/Coaxial digital input sources cannot be output to Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Larry May 18, 2017 ] Staff
Tech Support is included with your purchase from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. [ Kenny May 16, 2017 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
Denon AVR-X2400H IN-Command
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X