NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X4S
Dual-band Wi-Fi® router (R7800)
Our take on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X4S by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Fast streaming for every device in your home
The Nighthawk X4S' four external antennas give you strong wireless coverage throughout your home.
If you're looking for top-notch Wi-Fi coverage — especially in a large home with lots of wireless devices — you'll love the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S. It combines a lightning-fast dual-core 1.7GHz processor with four powerful external antennas. The result is robust wireless coverage in every corner of your home. You can stream movies, game online, and listen to music all at the same time. There's plenty of bandwidth available for everyone in the family to get fast and reliable performance.
Dual-band Wi-Fi with no lag
The Nighthawk X4S takes your incoming Internet signal and broadcasts it over two separate bands to maximize coverage and reduce interference. The 2.4 and 5GHz ranges provide flexible wireless connectivity for your smartphones, tablets, and other streaming devices in your home. You'll enjoy incredibly fast downloads, even with heavy traffic. Four Ethernet ports provide direct connections for your hard-wired equipment.
Directional coverage for fast performance
A NETGEAR technology called Beamforming+ uses two-way communication between the router and your phone or tablet to provide the strongest wireless coverage possible. Instead of just broadcasting the Wi-Fi coverage in a broad circle, Beamforming focuses the coverage on your wireless devices. As you move around your home, that focused range follows, giving you a fast and reliable connection every time.
Easy to set up and share content
Set up your new Nighthawk using your smartphone, tablet, or computer. Easy browser-based installation means no CDs to load or keep track of. The free NETGEAR genie® app lets you monitor, control, and troubleshoot your network. You can even connect an external USB hard drive loaded with photos, music, and other files, then access them wirelessly from all around the house using DLNA-compatible devices.
Enjoy a safe, secure network
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. Parental controls provide filtering of content you don't want youngsters to have access to.
- AC2600 Nighthawk X4S wireless router (model R7800)
- 802.11ac simultaneous dual-band 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi (800 Mbps + 1733 Mbps)
- four high-performance external antennas deliver maximum range
- Quad-Stream technology for faster simultaneous Wi-Fi streaming to multiple devices
- dynamic quality of service prioritizes network traffic by application and device (QoS)
- powerful dual-core 1.7GHz processor
- 128MB flash and 512MB RAM internal memory
- IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) supported
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of Wi-Fi connection with directional operation
- browser-based installation makes setup easy using a tablet, smartphone, or computer
- use the NETGEAR genie® app to monitor, control, and repair your home network
- use the ReadySHARE® Vault-PC software for automatic backup to a USB hard drive connected to the router
- ReadyCLOUD® USB access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- includes AC power adapter, Ethernet cable and quick start guide
- five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN and 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports
- one upstream port for connection to the modem
- four downstream ports for hard-wired Ethernet connections
- two USB 3.0 ports
- one eSATA port
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK) and WEP
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention
- parental controls to manage web filtering and accessibility by profiles or devices
- separate and secure guest network access
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 11-1/4"W x 2" H x 7-5/16" D
- weight: 1.85 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dual-band WiFi router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- 4 Antennas
- Quick Start Guide
- "The Connected Home" booklet
- "Firmware Update" note
Overall... great router. Works like a charm so far. However, been having a problem with one iPhone 7 in the household which never seems to automatically connect to this router. Upgraded from a Netgear R7000.
Index2020, New York, NY
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X4S Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Smart WiFi Router: NETGEAR's Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Smart WiFi Router with four high-performance antennas and quad-stream X4S architecture combines four WiFi streams to deliver WiFi connection speeds of up to 1.73 Gbps, and a combined speed of 2.53 Gbps (up to 800Mbps @ 2.4GHz, 1733Mbps @ 5GHz). The Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800)is ideal for homes with a high volume of network and Internet traffic from gaming and streaming. With Dynamic QoS, the router optimizes performance based on the application and the device, and automatically performs cloud updates to optimize the most popular applications and services.
Variety of Applications: With NETGEAR's Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Smart WiFi Router, you can create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free multiple HD streaming, multi-player online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.
- Multiple Devices: Provides more range and reliable connection for all your mobile devices.
- Surf/Chat/Email: Enjoy a reliable, secure wireless connection to the Internet for surfing the web, chatting, and email.
- HD Video Streaming: Optimized for a smooth, lag-free HD video streaming experience; even for multiple devices.
- Internet Radio Music: Enjoy a fast and reliable wireless connection for listening to music online.
- Online Gaming: Optimized for multi-player gaming with no lags.
1.7GHz Dual-Core Processor w/ 160MHz Bandwidth Support: With a 1.7GHz dual-core processor and 160MHz bandwidth support, the Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) delivers faster WiFi speed, faster Ethernet speed, faster USB access speed, and maximum performance for mobile devices.
Wireless Connectivity: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Smart WiFi Router offers Gigabit WiFi speeds thanks to its WiFi 802.11ac chipset, plus extended WiFi range and reliability due to its 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ dual-bands.
- 802.11ac: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Smart WiFi Router adopts the latest WiFi 802.11ac chipset for extreme download speeds up to 2.53Gbps (up to 800Mbps @ 2.4GHz, 1733Mbps @ 5GHz). It is also backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n devices. Next generation 802.11ac WiFi with dual band technology avoids wireless interference and provides whole home coverage ensuring top WiFi speeds and reliable connections. Everything you need for an ultra-fast WiFi connected home.
- Dual-Band WiFi: Simultaneous dual band WiFi provides two separate WiFi networks - 2.4GHz for legacy devices and 5GHz which is less interference-prone for media streaming.
- Extended WiFi Range: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Smart WiFi Router is equipped with high-powered amplifiers and four external antennas that provide extremely reliable WiFi connectivity throughout larger homes for all your Internet-enabled devices.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like Quad Stream + MU-MIMO, Dynamic QoS, & Beamforming+, you get enhanced speed and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Quad Stream + Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Quad Stream gives you the fastest WiFi speeds combined with MU-MIMO capability allows you to simultaneously stream to multiple devices at the same time. Thanks to Quad Stream, up to four data streams per WiFi band maximizes connection speed. Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
- Dynamic QoS: Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS) prioritizes your WiFi bandwidth by application and device. If your Internet bandwidth is limited, Dynamic QoS resolves Internet traffic congestion by using better application and device identification, bandwidth allocation, and traffic prioritization techniques. If you like gaming and streaming videos, you can benefit from enabling Dynamic QoS. If you use a gigabit Internet connection, or your Internet download and upload speed is 300 Mbps or faster, you don't need to use Dynamic QoS.
- Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) Dual-Band WiFi Router is fitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
ReadySHARE: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through ReadySHARE.
- Dual USB Ports w/ ReadySHARE: The USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
iTunes & AirPlay Compatible: The router's iTunes Server lets you play music with your Windows or Mac iTunes app from a USB device that is connected to the router USB port. You can also use the Apple Remote app from an iPhone or iPad to play music on any AirPlay devices, such as Apple TV or AirPlay-supported receivers.
Cloud Storage: Access and share your files stored on a USB Drive through NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD USB Access. Simply plug your USB hard drive into the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router to create secure personal cloud storage. Enjoy the convenience and accessibility of Google Drive and Dropbox without the fees, storage limitations, or privacy concerns. Using the ReadyCLOUD mobile app or web portal, you'll now have anytime, anywhere access to your USB drive at home.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & Google Play app for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Device Install: Easy setup for iPad, tablets, smartphones & computers.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your Internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- NETGEAR Genie App: Personal dashboard to monitor, control & repair your home network from your smartphone or tablet.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
- WiFi Power On/Off: Convenient power savings.
NETGEAR Genie App: The NETGEAR Genie App makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. The Genie App lets you setup, monitor, connect & control your home network from a Windows PC, Mac computer/laptop, Apple iOS device, or Android smartphone/tablet. With the NETGEAR Genie App you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more.
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPhone: compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPad: compatible with iPad (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for Android: compatible with Android 2.2 or higher
- NETGEAR Genie App for Windows PC: compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP
- NETGEAR Genie App for Mac: compatible with Mac OS X
Alexa Commands: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa to send your network credentials to your Alexa app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following Alex commands are supported -
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you must download the NETGEAR genie app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable your NETGEAR router to work with Amazon Alexa. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa app.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
LEDs: LEDs on the top-panel of the Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800) indicate router status.
Auto Backup: Keep your content safe by using the included ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadyShare Vault PC: Free ReadyShare Vault PC software it there for you to schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage. ReadyShare Vault is free to download and use with the Nighthawk X4S (AC2600/R7800).
- Time Machine: You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista/ XP / 2000, Mac OS X, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates from NETGEAR.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Read good reviews; needed a new router. [ Andrew Feb 15, 2017 ]
Awesome reviews and now that I'm using it, I can vouch for the higher throughput speed I'm getting to my devices. [ EDWARD Y Nov 25, 2016 ]
Range was top priority. [ lefteris Nov 23, 2016 ]
Needed more speed and better traffic handling for the numerous devices connected to my home wifi network. The specifications for this unit appear to meet my needs well. [ Jason Oct 04, 2016 ]
Need a better router [ Christopher Jul 06, 2016 ]