Stereo receiver with Bluetooth®
Our take on the Sony STR-DH190 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Sony STR-DH190 has Bluetooth® Standby, which lets you remotely activate the receiver and stream music from your paired smartphone.
Great stereo sound with Bluetooth® convenience
I grew up listening to records on my dad's two-channel rig, but I'm a big fan of adding a few modern conveniences to the classic setup.
The Sony STR-DH190 gives you 90 watts per channel to drive your speakers, and a phono input so you can listen to your turntable. It also includes Bluetooth so you can stream files from your paired smartphone, which is a nice touch.
Ready and waiting
The STR-DH190 offers a handy bit of technology known as Bluetooth Standby, which means you can activate the receiver with your phone without having to walk over and press a button on the front plate. You can fire it up and start streaming your favorite tunes without interrupting your daily routine.
- 90 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at .09% THD
- 4 stereo RCA audio line-level inputs
- dedicated phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel 3.5mm stereo aux input
- stream music wirelessly via Bluetooth®
- Bluetooth® Standby lets you activate the receiver directly from your paired smartphone
- 30 FM radio presets
- A/B switching for two pairs of speakers
- two sets of spring-clip speaker connectors
- full-size headphone jack
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 5-1/4"H x 11-7/8"D
- weight: 14.8 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Stereo receiver
- Wireless remote control (RMT-AA400U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- "Before connecting speakers" note
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
Very happy with my Sony receiver, good sound quality and ease of set up makes it a great buy. Crutchfield was very quick to ship and I received it the next day. They got me back in the music listening mode in record time.
Henry, Hebron, MD
Sony STR-DH190 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||90|
|THD in Stereo||0.09 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||96dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||80dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||No|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||Service only|
|Total Audio Inputs||6|
|Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
Discrete Stereo Amplifier: The Sony STR-DH190's discrete stereo amplifier delivers high power and quality sound. It is rated at 90 watt x 2-channel (into 8Ω, @ 20-20kHz, with THD 0.0%). Every component in the STR-DH190 has been designed for detail and clarity.
- Reinforced Chassis: A reinforced frame and beam chassis design reduces transmitted vibration from speaker sound pressure for more focused, powerful sound.
- Rigid Construction: Rigid parts hold the heat sink in place, reducing transmitted vibration from speaker sound pressure.
- Optimal Layout: The phono amplifier and transformer are positioned optimally to minimize interference from the magnetic field.
- Large Capacity Power Transformer: The stereo receiver utilizes a large capacity power transformer built for clarity.
Tone Control + Pure Direct Mode: The Sony STR-DH190 features independent Bass and Treble controls (-10 to +10 dB), so you can adjust the tonal quality of your connected speakers. Pure Direct Mode bypasses the Tone controls and turns off the front-panel display, allowing you to enjoy higher-fidelity sound from all inputs.
Analog Inputs: The Sony STR-DH190 has six analog audio inputs, including a Phono MM input and a front-panel Aux input. You can give each input a custom name (up to 8 characters) for easy identification.
- Phono MM Input: The Phono MM input lets you connect your turntable with a MM cartridge so you can enjoy your vinyl record collection through the receiver.
- Front-Panel Aux: A front-panel 3.5mm Aux input lets you easily connect a portable music player to the stereo receiver.
Note: This receiver is not equipped with any digital audio inputs or video inputs.
Analog Outputs: The STR-DH190 is outfitted with A/B speaker outputs, a stereo analog audio output, and a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack.
- A/B Speaker Outputs: The STR-DH190's A/B speaker outputs lets you connect up to two pair of speakers. You can easily switch between A or B speakers, or use both speakers together and have the same music source playing through two pair of speakers. The A/B speaker outputs are wired internally in parallel. The stereo amplifier supports 6Ω-16Ω speakers using A or B speaker outputs, and 12Ω-16Ω using both A & B speaker outputs. The A/B speaker outputs consist of spring-clip terminals that will accept connection of bare speaker wire (up to 12AWG) and pin-connectors.
- Stereo Analog Out: The stereo analog output allows you to connect a recording device for recording of any of the receiver's analog audio inputs. Tone control does not affect the signal output of the stereo analog record output.
- 1/4" Headphone Jack: The receiver features a 1/4" headphone jack for private listening. When headphones are plugged into this output, the sound from the speakers is muted.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Sony STR-DH190 features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.6. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) to the stereo receiver. You can pair multiple devices with the Sony STR-DH190, but only one can be connected and used for playback at a time. The STR-DH190 has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 98.4'.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the STR-DH190 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the stereo receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You'll be able to control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Stop functions from the included IR remote. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Standby: With Bluetooth Standby, you can even turn the stereo receiver on from your paired smartphone or tablet.
Note: The STR-DH190 does not display song/artist/album information; continue to use your Bluetooth source device's screen to view song/artist info.
FM Tuner: The Sony STR-DH190 stereo receiver is equipped with a built-in FM tuner with 30 digital presets, station naming (up to 8 characters), and auto tuning. You can switch between Stereo & Mono mode. An FM wire antenna is included. This receiver is not equipped with an AM tuner.
IR Remote : The supplied IR remote provides wireless operation of the Sony STR-DH190 stereo receiver. It also offers basic playback control for your connected Bluetooth audio streaming device.
Sleep Timer: The receiver can be set to turn off automatically after a specified time (30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.)
Auto Standby: This energy saving features enables the receiver to set to automatically switch to standby mode if it is not in use or no audio signal is sent to it for 20 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
price, features, Sony experience, Crutchfield experience. [ James Aug 20, 2018 ]
Great receiver for audio only. [ Khoa Aug 19, 2018 ]
Looks like it has a great architecture for good sound. Simple, plenty of input sources, ample output power, and a cheaper price. [ Joshua Aug 19, 2018 ]
Brand Price Had phono input for a turntable [ Steven Aug 12, 2018 ]
I am a fan of Sony and have been for 50 years. I trust the Crutchfield name and the price is great. One day shipping just sweetened the deal! [ H Jul 28, 2018 ]
best price, good quality, have purchased from crutchfield many times before, and receiver had phono inputs. [ JEFF Jul 23, 2018 ]
price [ Christopher Jul 23, 2018 ]
I have a Sony receiver and it was overdue for a replacement. I've had enjoyed it and decided to replace it with another Sony receiver. [ JOHN Jul 15, 2018 ]
bluetooth capable and low thd specs plus scratch/dent pricing [ John Jun 17, 2018 ]
ADVISED BY LANE IT WOULD BE COMPATIBLE TO MY EXISTING SYSTEM. THANK YOU, LANE FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE. [ JOANNE Jun 11, 2018 ]
Advice from family member who understands electronics much better than a senior citizen. [ A. L. Red May 16, 2018 ]
Basic features. Decent price [ Jason May 13, 2018 ]
6 questions already asked
The STR-DH190 has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 98.4'. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the receiver's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. I hope that helps My bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Jun 08, 2018 ] Staff
I LOVE THIS SONY STR-DH190.IT GIVES ME THE THINGS I NEED. [ DALE ROBERT Jun 08, 2018 ]
The bluetooth function of this receiver is for "receiving" only and will not transmit to wireless speakers. If your wireless speakers include a transmitter I would expect that it will hook up to the speaker output of the receiver. [ PTC4WW Jun 01, 2018 ]
2 answers Scouring the manual was futile. What is the thickest gauge speaker wire that the holes in the spring clip speaker connectors on the rear panel will accept? I would want to use 14 gauge wire to connect 6 ohm speakers to the STR-DH190 receiver, if possible, but would not want the holes in the spring clip connectors to be too small for 14 gauge wire to fit. In that case, and only 16 gauge or thinner wire will fit, I will need to look for only 8 ohm or higher impedence speakers. Thanks. [ Jonathan May 22, 2018 ]
I think 14 gauge wire will be a tight fit. I ended up putting straight pin connectors on my speaker wires and that helped a lot. The spring clip connector opening is small. [ jmf May 29, 2018 ]
I'm not for sure but I think it will take 14 guage wires. [ Stephen May 29, 2018 ]
Yes - I'm using an iPhone X and it works great. Pairs quickly and the phone volume controls the receiver. [ Mike May 20, 2018 ]
Yes. Can control using smart phone volume keys, Sony remote and volume control on the receiver. [ John May 20, 2018 ]
There is no "Bluetooth Volume Control," Bluetooth is for pairing this unit with other Bluetooth playback devices such as MP3 players, smartphones , computers, etc. The Remote Control has up and down volume buttons. [ Paul May 20, 2018 ]
Yes, I control the volume from my phone when using Spotify, etc. [ JOHN May 20, 2018 ]
Yes but with RCA connection only. No digital inputs available. [ jmf May 29, 2018 ]
You sure can! It has a few RCA inputs that will work with a CD player. HTH! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul May 03, 2018 ] Staff
The Sony STR-DH190 dose have built-in Bluetooth for streaming wirelessly from Bluetooth devices so, yes, you can pair the Bluetooth from your Echo Dot. I hope that helps. My bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Apr 28, 2018 ] Staff
I don't know. It paired easily via Bluetooth with my iPhone, so if the Amazon Dot is Bluetooth compatible I don't know why it would not work. [ Stephen Apr 27, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Stereo receiver with Bluetooth®
Stereo receiver with Bluetooth®
Stereo receiver with Bluetooth®
Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast