Our take on the Dynaudio S4-W80 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A high-fidelity speaker with zero footprint
Dynaudio creates a suite of superb speakers for homes, cars, and recording studios. They also apply their design expertise to in-wall speakers as well, like the S4-W80. This high-fidelity speaker delivers full-bodied, natural sound without taking up any floor space in your room.
Use the Dynaudio S4-W80 in-wall speaker as part of a high-end, clutter-free home theater system.
Tried and true driver technology
The S4-W80's 8" woofer uses Dynaudio's Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) cone material, which combines low mass and high rigidity. This design allows the woofers to respond quickly and accurately to the dynamic peaks in the music.
The MSP cone is molded in one geometrically perfect piece, which helps to optimize sound dispersion. It also eliminates the need for a separate dust cap, further enhancing the cone's structural integrity.
The S4-W80 uses a 1-1/8" soft-dome tweeter for smooth, natural highs.
Ideal for music and movies
The S4-W80 is a great choice for a high-end in-wall stereo system. Or you can use three of these speakers across the front channels of your home theater system, since they can be installed horizontally or vertically. You'll enjoy rich, full-bodied sound with all of your favorite entertainment.
Build a complete custom-installed Dynaudio system
Mix and match additional Architectural Studio Series speakers for a stealthy home theater system.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
Founded in 1977, Dynaudio is one of the world's premiere speaker companies. Their wide range of speakers for home, car, and pro audio applications are the result of a unique combination of innovative driver technology, state-of-the-art manufacturing, and true hand-craftsmanship. Dynaudio designs and builds all of its drivers at the company's HQ in Skanderborg, Denmark.
- ideal for a high-end in-wall music or home theater system
- 1-1/8" soft dome tweeter
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to suit your room's acoustics
- 8" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofer
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 100 watts
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- uniquely designed baffle latches offer quick and simple tool-free mounting
- paintable magnetic steel grille
- cutout dimensions: 8-1/4"W x 14-3/8"H
- overall dimensions: 9-3/8"W x 15-7/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- designed, engineered, and assembled in Denmark
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Paint mask
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout template
- Dynaudio logo
- Installation Manual
- Disclaimer note
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||8.25 x 14.375|
|Woofer Composition||Magnesium Solicate Polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||100|
In-Wall Two-Way Loudspeaker: Dynaudio's Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-W80 is an in-wall loudspeaker, featuring a 1" precision-coated soft-dome tweeter and 8" MSP mid-bass driver for high quality audio performance. It makes the perfect companion for medium to large-sized rooms.
- Precision-Coated Soft-Dome Tweeter: Dynaudio has relied on a silk soft-dome tweeter for recreating high frequencies since the company was founded, continuously improving and perfecting the soft-dome principle over the years. Dynaudio tweeter designs require a time consuming, labor-intensive manufacturing process where the fine fabric diaphragm is shaped into a dome and is then treated with a specially formulated coating. As a further refinement, the tweeter's aluminum voice-coil is suspended in a magnetic oil, which increases power handling while also improving the dome's excursion. The result is the celebrated Dynaudio tweeter, featuring a balanced and natural frequency response.
- Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) Woofer: For bass and midrange drivers, the Dynaudio uses a proprietary composite of magnesium silicate polymer (MSP), a material that combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping properties. This exclusive driver membrane is an immediately visible and characteristic feature of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Formed in a special manufacturing process, this membrane is a unique design with the distinctive, geometrically optimized form of the cone further enabling smooth sound dispersion.
Note: The surround of the tweeter is inversed to improve dispersion. This leaves nowhere for the lead wires to go behind the tweeter, so the lead wires are positioned above the surround.
Tweeter Level Switch: The high frequency tonal balance of the Studio Series speaker can be adjusted to suit different installation environments. A tweeter level switch located on the speaker's front panel offers +3 dB, 0 dB and -3 dB options. The level adjustment operates from approximately 3kHz and upwards.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-W80 is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals for connection of bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, or banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting & Installation Options: The Dynaudio S4-W80 speaker comprises of a Speaker Unit and Installation Frame. The Installation Frame is inserted into the wall cut-out (8.25"W x 14.375"H x 3.875"D) and is securely fixed in place using auto-locking clamps (there needs to be 0.5" of clearance around the cutout for the clamps to rotate and engage). The Speaker Unit is then connected to your speaker wire before being inserted into the Installation Frame to be held in place by a latch system. The grille securely attaches to the speaker via magnets integrated within the Installation Frame. The grille can be painted to match the color of your wall.
- Studio Series in-wall speakers are intended to be used in a portrait (vertical) orientation only.
- Drywall or plasterboard thickness must be 0.375" (minimum) to 1.375" (maximum).
- Preconstruction bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) is available for new construction.
Applications & Placement: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-W80 can be used in a distributed audio, 2ch stereo, or 5.1ch/7.1ch/9.1ch multichannel home theater application (including Dolby Atmos installations). Follow these placement guidelines based on your application.
- Distributed Audio: If one or more Studio Series speakers are required simply to provide mono background audio, they can be located essentially as dictated by coverage, convenience and architecture. The primary acoustic constraint to consider is that corner positions are likely to result in bass emphasis.
- Stereo Audio: If a pair of Studio Series in-wall speakers are required for stereo audio reproduction, they should ideally be located between 10' and 16.5' apart and a similar distance from the listening area. They should ideally be mounted approximately at head height when seated at the listening position or slightly higher. The acoustic environment around each speaker and distance from each one to adjacent walls should ideally be similar. Aim to avoid corner positions for either speaker.
- Multichannel Audio: If Studio Series in-wall speakers are utilized in multichannel installations, the front (left and right) speakers should ideally be located either side of the screen with each one approximately 20" away. The center channel speaker should be located either directly above or below the screen or, in the case of an acoustically transparent screen, directly behind it. Surround channel speakers should be located just behind and at either side of the listening position.
Note: The nature of the installation of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers means that it is sometimes impractical to locate them in acoustically optimal positions. Compromise is often more likely to be necessary in multichannel installations where positions have to be found for multiple speakers. In these circumstances it is preferable to favor the position of the front and center channel speakers over that of the surround channel speakers.
Custom Architectural Studio Series: Dynaudio's Custom Architectural Studio Series is designed to provide very high quality audio in custom installations where speakers are required to be fitted flush in walls and ceilings. The Studio Series benefits from four decades of Dynaudio speaker expertise - each speaker is designed, tuned, and built with care for in-wall or in-ceiling use. The Custom Architectural Studio Series consists of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers available in both 6.5" and 8" versions; all featuring 1" soft-dome tweeters. Dynaudio designed the Custom Architectural Studio Series to be easy to install and flexible enough to tailor to even the most challenging listening environments. These in-surface speakers will disappear into your walls and ceilings, while delivering exceptionally rich sound. Every Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series loudspeaker is covered by Lifetime warranty.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.