About the Bose® Home Speaker 300
Big sound from a compact speaker
Big sound from a compact speaker
When I auditioned the Bose Home Speaker 300, I was impressed — and surprised — by the sound. The Home Speaker 300 projected a much broader 360° soundfield than I expected from such a compact design. And it was versatile. I could select either Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to use for voice commands. I was able to use my smartphone, or just the six presets on the Bose Speaker 300 to make selections.
Entertainment sources were equally diverse. I streamed directly from my smartphone via Bluetooth. Through my home Wi-Fi® network, I was able to select from streaming music services, podcasts, and internet radio stations.
And you can even team this speaker up with other additional Bose smart home speakers and sound bars like the Soundbar 700, Soundbar 500, or Home Speaker 500, to create an easy-to-use multi-room audio system.
Voice commands get the music flowing
The Home Speaker 300 has a six-mic array with noise cancellation to ensure it hears your commands. Tell Alexa or Google Assistant to mix and match from Spotify®, Deezer, TuneIn internet radio, and more. You can control even more music features through the Bose® Music app on your smartphone or tablet.
Bose Music app for single- and multi-room use
The free Bose Music app turns your smartphone or tablet into a powerful remote. It gives you simple, step-by-step instructions for setting up your Home Speaker 300. The app also lets you select six presets for your speaker from all your available music sources. Preset 1 could be your local radio station, preset 2 a Pandora station, preset 3 a Spotify playlist, and so on.
In short, the app gives you full control over your Home Speaker 300 and any other compatible Bose speakers in your system. Each speaker can play something different, or you can group speakers to all play from the same source.
Simple, hands-on control
The app is great, but you don't necessarily have to carry a smartphone around with you at all times. Six preset buttons give you instant access to your favorite music sources. A top-mounted mic-mute button lets you disable your voice controller for privacy, without affecting speaker operation. You can easily control volume, and play, pause and skip tracks right from the speaker itself.
Compatible with AirPlay 2
The Home Speaker 300 has AirPlay 2 built-in. That means you can stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
And if you subscribe to Apple Music®, you can do even more. Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV 4K to control Apple Music with voice commands.
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- 6-microphone array for clear voice pickup
- top-mounted mic-disable button
General voice control functions (common to both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant):
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- get weather reports, news updates, time, sports and stock reports
- select streaming music services such as Spotify, Pandora, and Deezer (subscriptions required for some services)
- select radio stations through iHeartRadio or TuneIn Radio
- control compatible smart home products
Amazon Alexa functions:
- Amazon Alexa app control
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- control music playback
- access to Alexa skills, such as weather reports, smart home commands, and more
Google Assistant functions:
- Google Home app control
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- control select streaming music services
Bose Music app:
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- support for online music services, including Amazon Music, Spotify Premium, Pandora, Deezer Premium, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and SiriusXM (subscriptions required for some services)
- expand your multi-room system with additional Bose Smart Home speakers and sound bars
- remote control of each connected compatible Bose component
- play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- six presets offer instant music playback with the press of a button on the speaker or remote
- simple app-based setup using your mobile device
- top-mounted control buttons
- down-firing full-range driver with acoustic deflector for full 360° sound
- requires AC power
- 5-5/8"W x 6-5/16"H x 5-1/16"D
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 808429-1300
What's in the box:
- Wireless speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Customer reviews for Bose® Home Speaker 300
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bose® Home Speaker 300
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||Not given|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||Yes|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Premium Bose Sound: The Bose Home Speaker 300 contains one proprietary Bose full-range driver positioned to fire downward into an acoustic deflector. This design allows the speaker to produce incredibly smooth and spacious 360° sound. Proprietary digital signal processing enables the Bose Home Speaker 300, a mono speaker, to preserve and reproduce more of a recording's original stereo audio content when compared to many other mono speakers. Proprietary digital signal processing also enables the Bose Home Speaker 300 to maximize audio output from its small size and to produce surprisingly deep bass, leveraging an advanced acoustic port design with Bose's innovative QuietPort technology.
Multiroom Audio: The Bose Home Speaker 300 is part of a new family of Smart Home speakers and soundbars from Bose that can be used to create a wireless multiroom audio system over your home's WiFi network. You can start with one Bose Home Speaker 300 and add more Bose Smart Home speakers and soundbars (including the Bose Home Speaker 300, Bose Home Speaker 500, Bose Portable Home Speaker, Bose Soundbar 300, Bose Soundbar 500, and Bose Soundbar 700) to create a wireless multiroom audio system in your home.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: Internet radio, select online music services, Bluetooth audio, and analog Aux inputs can be listened to on a single speaker or multiple speakers.
- Number of Audio Zones: You can create up to 4 audio zones. Each zone can be set to play the same audio source or set to play a different audio sources. You can also group different zones together.
Built-in WiFi: The Bose Home Speaker 300 offers built-in, dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) to wirelessly connect the speaker to your home network. The Home Speaker 300's WiFi network connection can be setup initially from the Bose Music app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
Bose Music App: The Bose Music app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 5.1+) lets you set up and control compatible Bose smart speakers and soundbars from your Apple iOS or Android device. It works with one or many of the new Bose family of smart speakers and soundbars. Using the app, your mobile device acts as a remote for the speaker. From the app, you can stream music, set and change presets, add music services, explore internet radio stations, configure Alexa and manage speaker settings.
- Music Control: The Bose Music app lets you browse and play the music you love from Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more from your Apple iOS or Android device. The Bose Music app also makes it easy to set your favorite playlists or stations as presets (up to 6 presets), so you can access them effortlessly.
- Multi-Room/Multi-Source:The Bose Music app lets you control one or multiple Bose Smart Speakers and Soundbars in your home. You can play the same music throughout your home or listen to different music in different areas.
- Audio Settings: The Bose Music app can be used to control volume level and adjust the speaker's Bass & Treble level.
- Multiple Users: The Bose Music app lets multiple users personalize their experience and control their content. One person can quickly access their Spotify playlist, while another easily listens to the latest podcast. Now it's simple for the whole household to enjoy their favorite music and more.
- Simple Setup: The Bose Music app also makes setup easy, walking you through each step. Simply download the Bose Music app on your device, plug in the speaker, and open the app to get started. The app will guide you through setting up your account on the speaker, adding your account information for your favorite music services, and adding Amazon Alexa or Googto the product.
Voice Control with 6 Microphone Array: The integration of Alexa and Google Assistant with the Bose family of Smart Speakers will support the vast majority of Alexa and Google Assistant functionality; including music playback, control of smart home devices, setting timers and alarms, and general information requests. Just under the surface of the Bose Home Speaker 300's top-panel is a custom-designed, proprietary six-microphone array that is precisely positioned for accurate near-field and far-field voice pickup. You can rest assured that the Bose Home 300 Speaker will hear you even when there is a lot of noise in the background, your music is playing loud, or you are across the room.
- Music Control: Currently you can ask Alexa or Google to play music from Pandora, iHeartRadio, Deezer and TuneIn on a specific speaker, a group of speakers, or all speakers. Alexa voice control is also supported by Amazon Music and SiriusXM. Once your music is playing, you can also ask Alexa "what is playing", "turn volume up or down", "skip to the next track", "go to the previous track", or "stop music".
- Smart Home Skills: Various Alexa and Google smart home device skills work through the Bose Home Speaker 300, its built-in microphones and the integration of Alexa and Google. For example, you can ask Alexa or Google Assistant- "set my smart thermostat to 72 degrees" or "turn off the lights".
- News & Information: Use the Bose smart speaker to ask Alexa or Google Assistant about world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and other topics or events.
- Alarms & Timers: You can use Alexa or Google to set timers and alarms. Timers & alarms are only done through Alexa or Google and corresponding app, not through the Bose Music app or controls on the Bose Home Speaker 300.
- You can only use one digital assistant; you must choose between Alexa or Google (you cannot use both). There are certain Alexa & Google skills that the Bose Home Speaker 300 does not support; such as Hands-Free Calling & Messaging. Alexa & Google Assistant is not available in all languages and countries.
- The use of a virtual assistant is optional; you can initiate music from the Bose Music app and other sources without using Alexa. The option to enable Alexa can be declined in setup and revisited at any time. You can also remove Alexa from the speaker at any time via the settings menu of the Bose Music app. And when Alexa is installed, the microphones may be turned off at any time with the microphone off button on the speaker.
- The microphones on the Bose Home Speaker 300 may be turned off with a single tap of the microphone off button on the top of the speaker. This button completely cuts power to the microphones so Alexa and Google will not hear any commands. For security reasons, it is not possible to use a voice command or the Bose Music app to turn the microphones on or off; only a physical button press can control the microphones. When the microphones are off, this button will always be backlit with a red LED light.
Online Music Services: The Bose Home Speaker 300 can play music directly from streaming music services over WiFi, controlled either by the Bose Music app (for Apple iOS and Android), or Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant through the built-in microphones. These music services can be controlled from the Bose Music App (for Apple iOS and Android) and Alexa or Google through the built-in mics. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track can be done from the unit's top-panel controls. Song/artist information (including Album Art) will be displayed on the speaker's LCD screen.
- TuneIn: TuneIn includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: Spotify Connect enables Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio: is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Amazon Music: Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Music. Requires an Amazon Prime membership (currently $10.99 per month or $99 per year). You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes or Google Play Music to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music to the Bose Smart Home speaker.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
AirPlay 2 (available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Bose Home Speaker 300 will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Bose Smart Home speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Bose Home Speaker 300. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Bose Smart Home speaker system.
Note: AirPlay 2 does not support multiroom audio distribution via Bose Smart Home. Multiroom audio distribution can only be done with other AirPlay 2 compatible devices (sold separately).
Built-in Bluetooth: The Bose Home Speaker 300 offers built-in support for wireless audio playback (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), plus the option to stream the same audio from the Bose Home Speaker 300 to a single Bluetooth-enabled Bose noise cancelling headphone or Bose SoundLink speaker via SimpleSync technology and the Bose Music App.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: With built-in Bluetooth, the Bose Home Speaker 300 can wirelessly play back stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You can pair eight Bluetooth source devices to the speaker, but only one can be actively connected and used for playback at a time. The unit's top-panel controls can be used to control basic playback (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next track); Alexa or Google cannot be used to control Bluetooth audio sources. The speaker has a Bluetooth wireless range of approximately 30'.
- Bose SimpleSync: Bose SimpleSync allows you to pair a member of the Bose Home Speaker family (such as the Home Speaker 300) with a single Bose SoundLink portable Bluetooth speaker or a Bose noise cancelling headphone (all sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for playback of the same audio signal. Use the Bose Music app on your Apple iOS or Android device to setup and enable SimpleSync. SimpleSync then provides a one-to-one connection for a maximum of two Bose products (the Home Speaker 300 and a SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone). The two products must remain within typical Bluetooth wireless range (30') of each other to stay connected. You'll be able to listen to the same audio signal from the Home Speaker 300 on a connected Bose SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone (you cannot listen to different sources). You can choose to listen on both the Home Speaker 300 and the SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone at the same time with independent volume control; or just one speaker or the headphone.
- Bluetooth audio streaming can be done without utilizing WiFi, the Bose Music app, Google Assistant, or Alexa. However, the Bose Music app is required for Bose SimpleSync.
- You cannot wirelessly stream Bluetooth audio to the Bose Home Speaker and use SimpleSync at the same time. You can only sync audio from the Bose Home Speaker to a single Bluetooth speaker or headphone; not from the Bluetooth speaker or headphone to the Bose Home Speaker.
- The Bose Home Speaker 300 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
Aux Input: In addition to wireless WiFi & Bluetooth connectivity, the Bose Home Speaker 300 is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting almost any portable audio device with a headphone jack or audio output.
Top-Panel Controls: The Bose Home Speaker 300 features capacitive touch controls on the top-panel for easy access to frequently used controls such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Source Input (Bluetooth/Aux), Presets (1-6), Mic On/Off, and Action (Alexa or Google).
AC Power w/ Network Standby: The Bose Home Speaker 300 operates off of standard household current using the the included AC power adapter with attached 58" cord. The Bose Home Speaker 300 transitions to Network Standby when audio has stopped and you have not pressed any buttons for 20 or more minutes. To wake the speaker from network standby, simply tap any button on the speaker, play/resume audio using your mobile device and the Bose Music app, or talk to Alexa.
- You can still access Alexa or Google Assistant in Network Standby as long as it is set up using the Bose Music app and the microphone is turned on.
- The Bose Home Speaker 300 is not battery powered.
Mounting Options: The Bose Home Speaker 300 has been designed to simply sit on a flat table-top surface. There are no brackets, threaded inserts, or keyhole slots provided to wall mount the speaker.
The Bose® Home Speaker 300 replaces these items
- stream Internet radio, Pandora®, Spotify® and more with the free SoundTouch® app for your smartphone, tablet, or computer
- built-in Bluetooth® lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- compact design is great for kitchens, bedrooms, and other medium-sized rooms
7 questions already asked